Sign in to follow this  
Woosters

RB free agent becomes Fantasy Stud

Sharks,

Every year, we see at least 1 RB, shift teams through free agency or trades and become major Fantasy studs with their new team!

Examples...

2002 R.Williams

2004 C.Dillon

2005 L.Jordan

2006 C.Taylor

2007 W.McGahee

2008 M.Turner

2009 C.Benson

2010 Hillis

2011 Lynch

2012 Who will it be?

Peyton Hillis....signed with KC this year

BenJarvus Green-Ellis....signed with CIN this year

Michael Bush....signed with CHI this year

Brandon Jacobs.....signed with 49er's this year

Mike Tolbert.......signed with CAR this year

I think the 2 with the most upside, is BJGE and Hillis....Based on opportunity. If there is an issue with Forte....then it is solely M.Bush!

Anyone?

first issue is Lynch joined Seattle in 2010

With the list you gave, I'd say BGE as of right now, but I still think they're gonna add a running back in one of the first 3 rounds of the draft to compete with him.

Bush - needs an extended holdout from Forte or injury to become a stud

Hillis - needs Charles recovery from the knee injury to have a solid impact, fantasy wise

Jacobs - same thing as stated above in regards to Gore, not to mention he's got Kendall Hunter lurking

I don't really agree with the premise that there has to be a free agent RB-turned-fantasy stud every year.

That said, of the guys you named, I like BJGE the most this year. He will fit Cincy's offense well and should easily be a significant upgrade over Cedric Benson. That said I don't see him being a "stud" as much as a very consistent RB2 option.

Peyton Hillis is another guy to watch. A change of scenery could obviously benefit him. But are we sure he is even good? One pretty damn good year but that's it so far. Plus the presence of Jamaal Charles obviously limits his upside.

I don't really agree with the premise that there has to be a free agent RB-turned-fantasy stud every year.

That said, of the guys you named, I like BJGE the most this year. He will fit Cincy's offense well and should easily be a significant upgrade over Cedric Benson. That said I don't see him being a "stud" as much as a very consistent RB2 option.

Peyton Hillis is another guy to watch. A change of scenery could obviously benefit him. But are we sure he is even good? One pretty damn good year but that's it so far. Plus the presence of Jamaal Charles obviously limits his upside.

Ok...Stud..maybe not...but every year, definetly someone who suprizes and has become a top 15 RB or so!

I have followed this trend for awhile now and have made it a point to target these guys when i can without hindering my overall draft. I have drafted other positions over a RB2 in almost every draft, every year to try and aquire 1 or 2 of these(overlooked)guys later in hopes to get high productivity....It has been working for years now!

I have been lucky and hit on them al except for R.Williams and Turner....the 2 bigest ones...of course!

Whenever a RB goes down with a season ending injury ... snag his backup off waivers. That's your breakout RB right there (unless his name is Brandon Jackson in which case he's useless).

Whenever a RB goes down with a season ending injury ... snag his backup off waivers. That's your breakout RB right there (unless his name is Brandon Jackson in which case he's useless).

The Brandon Jackson threads were hilarious 2 years ago when people were blowing their waiver $ when they were bidding on this turd after Grant went down in week 1.

Mike Goodson, traded to oakland in the off season. DMC coming off a injury focked season, bush left, t. Jackson did not see a ton of action his rook year. Not saying goodson will be that rb this year, but worth watching.

Ok...Stud..maybe not...but every year, definetly someone who suprizes and has become a top 15 RB or so!

I have followed this trend for awhile now and have made it a point to target these guys when i can without hindering my overall draft. I have drafted other positions over a RB2 in almost every draft, every year to try and aquire 1 or 2 of these(overlooked)guys later in hopes to get high productivity....It has been working for years now!

I have been lucky and hit on them al except for R.Williams and Turner....the 2 bigest ones...of course!

As WW pointed out Lynch wasn't signed last year.

Reggie Bush comes to mind as the top fantasy impact free agent rb from last year.

Was there anyone else?

P.S. I agree with the premise that you can find good rb value late with these somewhat overlooked free agents.

Mike Goodson, traded to oakland in the off season. DMC coming off a injury focked season, bush left, t. Jackson did not see a ton of action his rook year. Not saying goodson will be that rb this year, but worth watching.

I liked Goodson's skillset in CAR. Things would have to play out right (DMC injury, Taiwan Jones regresses, etc), but worth keeping an eye on Goodson. If DMC were to go down, at this point I'd expect a 1-2 punch of Taiwan and Goodson... Taiwan looked fast as f*ck in the limited action I saw of him.