Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

I have the mindset of running the ball to the pin whenever possible. The sooner the ball gets on the ground the less trouble it can get into. :lol:

my high school coach got me out of the habit. he showed me one of the Seniors who was a much better player (scoring wise) and how he played a particular short par 4 on our home course. While I was always hitting an L wedge and making par or bogey, he was hitting a half swing 9 iron, basically pitching the ball, rolling out to the hole and making pars and birdies.

my high school coach got me out of the habbit. he showered with me

it all makes sense :o

I have the mindset of running the ball to the pin whenever possible. The sooner the ball gets on the ground the less trouble it can get into. :lol:

If the ball is in the rough, I'll flop. But if it's not sitting up, or it's on the fairway within 30 yards, 7 Iron. I'd rather it rolled 30 feet past, than came up 30 feet short.

cept those 140 yard worm burners, when you're 75 yards away

its tough to not want to hit flop shots as a junior golfer. if you can get him out of that habbit, his scores will go way down. if he's at the front of the green, with nothing but green in front of him (meaning no bunker or valley to go over and he's not short sided or anything like that where a lob wedge would make sense), got to get into the mindset of using a gap wedge at the very least and get the ball rolling sooner. You obviously know this.

just wanted to chime in because this used to be me. Even on a 40-60 yard shot with nothing but green in front of me and no reason or need to fly it all the way back to the pin, I would still whip out the 60* and almost always mess it up. Skull it, chunk it or even if I hit it okay, It would land softly and stop 20 feet short. Took a while to get myself to start hitting lower shots with a less lofted club and let the ball run out to the pin.

This is what I have been trying to teach him. It is not as sexy as a flop shot, but more effective most of the time. This is especially true playing in New England. We have fairly hard ground on most of our courses, so getting under a flop is really tough unless the ball is really sitting up in the rough. We also tend to have fewer bunkers in front of holes so running it up is much easier.

When I play in FL, for example, it is a little different and I have more need to play flops.

This is what I have been trying to teach him. It is not as sexy as a flop shot, but more effective most of the time. This is especially true playing in New England. We have fairly hard ground on most of our courses, so getting under a flop is really tough unless the ball is really sitting up in the rough. We also tend to have fewer bunkers in front of holes so running it up is much easier.

When I play in FL, for example, it is a little different and I have more need to play flops.

im in jersey and my issue with my lob wedge has always been the softer turf and going right under the ball on my misses. I actually prefer when I have firmer turf.

also, while a lot of guys will take out an 8 iron for the shots we are talking about, I still am more comfortable with a wedge in hand, so I use my 52* and play my feet close together, ball in back of stance and produce a lower flight with my swing.

Shots like this are when Bounce (and having the proper bounce) is so important.

Decided to just go back to playing golf with feel instead of being mechanical. Shot 76 with 3 birdies and two doubles/3 bogeys.

Golf movements are very natural. All it is is throwing a stick over your trail shoulder(just like an up and down axe chop) and turning. 95%of your arm movement is up and down, not side to side. It only appears that way because your turning. The big problem is golf necessitates face control while chopping and turning. Thats what kills most people.

• Like 1

It's Cyber Monday in the golf world too........ Today only, Online only - 20% off your entire purchase at Golf Galaxy.. Great deal if looking at a big ticket item like new irons or a driver.

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/

Played in a qualification tourney yesterday to qualify for the club championship.

Played my ass off, 2 over going into 8.

Hit my tee shot into the right rough. Hit the wrong ball twice, got a 10 on the hole.

Parred 9 and then withdrew in shame

Yes. I was also not sure if having graphite in my early 50s would be a better fit.

They were shipped back today and I will be getting steel shafts shortly.

Steel shaft irons arrived Thursday. I have not had a chance to play them yet. Maybe Friday.

How about Romo this weekend? He finally found a way to beat Aaron Rodgers. :D

How about Romo this weekend? He finally found a way to beat Aaron Rodgers. :D

Thanks., I hadn't finished watching yet :mad:

Thanks., I hadn't finished watching yet :mad:

If you'd even started it, you knew Romo was going to beat Rodgers, so why would that ruin it for you?

If you'd even started it, you knew Romo was going to beat Rodgers, so why would that ruin it for you?

Don't sass me!

Shot 41 on the front (with a triple bogey) on Saturday, then had two really bad shots on the back with my pitching wedge and sand wedge. Like almost 90 degrees right of target bad...both into water.

Both situations where I need to pitch the ball, instead of my preferred bump and run. Both shots went almost directly in front of me. It happened one time earlier this year and once in a while in the last few years playing. Like the chipping version of the yips...I don't get it...but its a major mind***k for me while its happening.

• Like 1

A few observations from my trip to Firestone on Saturday:

1. Absolutely awesome track and a great place to watch golf at. Trees everywhere too so it was a good day to have shade since it was 90 degrees and all. Most of the holes run parallel to each other so there was always something happening close to ya, got close to pretty much all the big names there except...

2. Tiger. Good grief, what a focking circus trying to follow him. I have more respect for what he's done over the years just seeing what he has to deal with not only with people outside the ropes but inside as well. We waited a couple holes ahead for him to get there and you don't even believe what follows him. Thousands of fans, camera people and reporters everywhere inside the ropes. It's insane. I almost felt sorry for him until I stop and think of all the money and waitresses he's bagged over the years.

3. Someone on here (Cruzer maybe) has said that the range is a pretty cool place to go so I made a point checking that out this year. Just a focking stripe show, I must've seen Gary Woodland hit a dozen 3-woods in a row with the exact same ball flight 300 yards-plus and all land within 10 yards of each other. Truly impressive stuff. This is the last year the PGA guys will be there and it's a bummer, I've been there 3 times and it's always a good time. The Champions Tour starts there next year, meh. Won't be the same.

3. Someone on here (Cruzer maybe) has said that the range is a pretty cool place to go so I made a point checking that out this year. Just a focking stripe show, I must've seen Gary Woodland hit a dozen 3-woods in a row with the exact same ball flight 300 yards-plus and all land within 10 yards of each other. Truly impressive stuff.

Yes sir, I've preached it for years.. I'd rather spend 30 minutes on the range watching than 2 hours on the course following the herd.

My game has officially hit the Summertime skids... Like clockwork, hits this time ever year for me.. Part of it is just burnout, part of it has been the (exceptional) summer heat we've had this year.

Even with 3 birdies y-day, skanked it in 10 over - in large part to my back-to-back Triples on 10 and 11. :D

My game has officially hit the Summer time skids... Like clockwork, hits this time ever year for me.. Part of it is just burnout, part of it has been the (exceptional) summer heat we've had this year.

Even with 3 birdies y-day, skanked it in 10 over - in large part to my back-to-back Triples on 10 and 11. :D

The big number is just KILLING my score lately. Last week I played 15 holes in 1-over, but had 3 triples on the other 3 holes :rolleyes:

A few observations from my trip to Firestone on Saturday:

1. Absolutely awesome track and a great place to watch golf at. Trees everywhere too so it was a good day to have shade since it was 90 degrees and all. Most of the holes run parallel to each other so there was always something happening close to ya, got close to pretty much all the big names there except...

2. Tiger. Good grief, what a focking circus trying to follow him. I have more respect for what he's done over the years just seeing what he has to deal with not only with people outside the ropes but inside as well. We waited a couple holes ahead for him to get there and you don't even believe what follows him. Thousands of fans, camera people and reporters everywhere inside the ropes. It's insane. I almost felt sorry for him until I stop and think of all the money and waitresses he's bagged over the years.

3. Someone on here (Cruzer maybe) has said that the range is a pretty cool place to go so I made a point checking that out this year. Just a focking stripe show, I must've seen Gary Woodland hit a dozen 3-woods in a row with the exact same ball flight 300 yards-plus and all land within 10 yards of each other. Truly impressive stuff. This is the last year the PGA guys will be there and it's a bummer, I've been there 3 times and it's always a good time. The Champions Tour starts there next year, meh. Won't be the same.

It is amazing considering he is in the "Brett Favre to the Jets" part of his career.

I was forced to take over a month off for health reasons. Couldn't even take practice swings. Got back out yesterday and played The Tribute, which is a high end course here with every hole being a replica of a hole over yonder Europe way. We play #1 and #18 at St Andrews, the Road Hole is #17, etc.

https://www.thetributegc.com/knollwood-country-club

The range was closed and I hadn't swung a club in a month, so I declared I get to take a breakfast ball. First drive was a duck hook, but after re-teeing I hit a nice fade about 240 yards down the middle. Then for the most part it was a solid day. Ended up going 42-41. Three putted once after having maybe 15 ft for birdie. Took 3 drops, 2 of which resulting from me feeling a bit too full of myself and getting too aggressive. I was pleased with an 83 after a month off.

My current swing conundrum....the release.

Historically, I've had a stronger grip, an in to out swing, and I think I've held off the release. It's produced a consistent ball flight.

But here of late, I've been occasionally working on swinging a bit more straight down the line, closer to a neutral grip....and while I don't aggressively release the club, if I just soften my hands and just kind of let them release, it creates a much more effortless and penetrating ball flight than I've ever had. I tend to instinctively not want to do it though as I'm afraid of the big hook.

I guess this is where someone tells me to practice more and figure it out.

My current swing conundrum....the release.

Historically, I've had a stronger grip, an in to out swing, and I think I've held off the release. It's produced a consistent ball flight.

But here of late, I've been occasionally working on swinging a bit more straight down the line, closer to a neutral grip....and while I don't aggressively release the club, if I just soften my hands and just kind of let them release, it creates a much more effortless and penetrating ball flight than I've ever had. I tend to instinctively not want to do it though as I'm afraid of the big hook.

I guess this is where someone tells me to practice more and figure it out.

Tension is slow, loose is fast. I have the exact opposite problem. Ive fought a weak grip for years. My ball striking and compression increases greatly when I strengthen my grip. I know grip is alot of personal preference, but I hit the ball well when I pretty much follow Martin Chucks advice in this video below.

Definition: Cruzer - (Noun) chocking pig.

Club Championship this past weekend.. I'm in the 1st flight, playing with a 3.4.... (I no longer play in the Championship flight, too many flat belly former college kids who can roll out of bed and shoot 64)... (sat.) So I'm Cruzing along, -1 heading into 10 - catch a really bad mud ball break, make bogey. Catch the same damn mud ball shiit on 11, blow my 2nd shot OB - make double... From there on I was a mental midget. Shoot 34, 43 for a 77 - GAG.. (sun.) Cruzing along, even par heading into 7.. Make double from the middle of the fairway, then shank a 2nd shot on 8, make bogey - the choke is on.. Get to 10, w/out losing a ball - make triple... Step up to 13, blow tee shot OB, make double.. So I'm standing on 14 tee, by now I've no more anger to vent - I say FOCK IT and decide to just enjoy the day, some cold ones and a cigar. .The last thing you want to do is make a scene and make it uncomfortable for your playing partners - be mad but respect their round too.

I'll be damn if I don't find it again, play 2 under from 14 in - post 78.

I am seriously considering either dropping my membership - or downgrading it to Social. I'm sick and tired of the total focking Bullshiit that's going on with the handicaps. We had guys, who are at worst a 2, playing to 5s.We have guys who play 4 times a week that have turned in only 4 official rounds since May... The guy who won the 1st flight played with a 5 - he's at least a 2, if not a 1.. And I'm giving these focks 3 and 4 shots a round during the tournament? Fock that noise.

• Like 2

I am seriously considering either dropping my membership - or downgrading it to Social. I'm sick and tired of the total focking Bullshiit that's going on with the handicaps. We had guys, who are at worst a 2, playing to 5s.We have guys who play 4 times a week that have turned in only 4 official rounds since May... The guy who won the 1st flight played with a 5 - he's at least a 2, if not a 1.. And I'm giving these focks 3 and 4 shots a round during the tournament - fock that noise.

They don't do a minimum rounds posted to qualify? Should.

They don't do a minimum rounds posted to qualify? Should.

They should, they should do a lot of things - but they don't.

They should have a policy - if you play, and don't turn in a card - you get assigned a 70.

HCPs are either vanity or sandbagged. Really depends on how hard your home track is and how well it travels.

My home club is a vanity cap haven. High single digits on paper that struggle to break triple digits in matches.

Friends home club is naturally sandbagged because its so damn hard a course

• Like 1

Played in a summer golf league last year and made the finals in the B flight. Rules are simple- governed by the rules of golf.

In the final match, A and B flight low scorers play together to determine each flights champ. Flights are determined mid season.

The two A guys are buddys that played together and posted par or better every week ( honor system). I had been told that they cheated on play and/or scoring.

1st tee, I say "rolling it in the fairway and down in the rough right?"

Them , " No, everybody rolls it the rough" my B flight opponent said " I don't" I confirmed that I play it down also.

Several times I caught them cheating by rolling out of bad lies or obstructions. Me, " I thought we understood the ground rules on the 1st tee" them, " we're just out here to have fun" I say "the rest of the league would disagree "

10th tee - me, "wow, you guys are more over par through 9 than you have been all summer" them, " ~steam~"

Finally told them that they had screwed me, my partner and the rest of the league by guaranteeing themselves 1st and 2nd place money and to do whatever you want. They did.

Both my partner and I beat them handily. Me by 10 and 14 shots respectively. They still took 1st and 2nd place money.

Offered a handshake on 18th green and was shown their backs. Went to the cart and told them not to worry, I wouldn't be back for this season. Also let it be known that I was told that you are cheats and that I would tell everyone in the league that I know that you are cheats.

At the awards ceremony A1 collects his 1st place cash and shoots me a chit eating grin. B2 later told me that a lot of people had wanted to do what I did but thought it was too much trouble to call them out.

This year the league scoreboard is up and same A1 and A2 are way out front. About 3 weeks ago I saw that someone had written, in ink, "cheater" behind A1's name. Later scratched out and replaced again. I had nothing to do with scoreboard shenanigans but would like to think that my call out may have contributed.

It's a gentlemans game until you cheat.

• Like 1

A guy I golfed with years ago was a 10 handicap but he'd play to a 2 in the matches (skins). He'd keep the 10 hdcp by slapping it around on the green if he was out of the money on, carding a double bogey if someone had already made birdie.

A guy I golfed with years ago was a 10 handicap but he'd play to a 2 in the matches (skins). He'd keep the 10 hdcp by slapping it around on the green if he was out of the money on, carding a double bogey if someone had already made birdie.

There are a few guys at my club who do this. You have to pay attention to notice though. Usually you are more focused on the guy in contention on that hole. Easy to not notice the propensity of 3 putts when they aren't in it.

Finally swapped out my trusty Ping G30 this week for a TM M4, same setup, stock stiff 9.5, nothing fancy. Was very impressed on the simulator, my carry was up 12-17 yards, not sure I trust those things.. Hit it well at the range last night as well. Lot's of pop, feels real nice when you catch it flush. My miss seems to be low heel, we'll see how twist face handles it..

Here's to hoping it carries over to the course on Sunday morning.

:unsure:

headed to our place with the family in Orlando in a couple weeks.

3 buddies are going down too for some golf

we are doing a 4 day PGA style event.

$250 per golfer. Lowest score after 4 days takes it all

Anyone want to see how you light $250 on fire?