Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**2012 Baseball talk thread**

Kind of sad that a team seven games over .500 is going to the World Series...

First: 88-74 is not "7 games above .500"

Second: Out of curiosity, did you complain when a 90-72 St. Louis team won the World Series as a wild-card?

Third: Are you preparing to complain when an 88-74 St. Louis team reaches the World Series as well?

Congrats to the Tiggers, good series by them. I'm absolutely p1ssed that the Yankees didn't even show up. They played with no heart and it seemed like they couldn't wait to get to the golf course. Major changes coming next year.

Oh wow low blow.

TBS analyst to Delmon: "I don't know if you are aware of this...but you drove in as many runs this series as the Yankees did."

It's a relief to be done with the Yankees. Even being up 3-0 is not safe, this is a potent team if they could have gotten back on track and picked up some momentum at any time. Glad they never did get complacent and let up, the Yankees can ride that slump all the way into the offseason, that's for them to worry about.

Moving on, I suppose I should be rooting for St. Louis since it looks like they are the easier team even though they have a gift for pulling rabbits out of hats. It's just that the Giants have such a great pitching staff that this is a team that is is best left to be eliminated by somebody else.

It's a relief to be done with the Yankees. Even being up 3-0 is not safe, this is a potent team if they could have gotten back on track and picked up some momentum at any time. Glad they never did get complacent and let up, the Yankees can ride that slump all the way into the offseason, that's for them to worry about.

Moving on, I suppose I should be rooting for St. Louis since it looks like they are the easier team even though they have a gift for pulling rabbits out of hats. It's just that the Giants have such a great pitching staff that this is a team that is is best left to be eliminated by somebody else.

The Cardinals right now are a FAR more dangerous team. Their offense is on fire and they have a long history of abusing opposing bullpens late in games (which is arguably the Tigers' biggest vulnerability). The Giants rotation is a complete mess right now. Lincecum might not get out of the first inning tonight, Bumgarner hasn't pitched well in two months, and even Cain has an ERA in the mid-4's in the post-season.

The Cardinals right now are a FAR more dangerous team. Their offense is on fire and they have a long history of abusing opposing bullpens late in games (which is arguably the Tigers' biggest vulnerability). The Giants rotation is a complete mess right now. Lincecum might not get out of the first inning tonight, Bumgarner hasn't pitched well in two months, and even Cain has an ERA in the mid-4's in the post-season.

Pick your poison. I guess its the World Series so it's supposed to be hard. We don't get the seas to part allowing us to magically discover that as a reward for eliminating the Yankees, we get to play Oakland twice.

First: 88-74 is not "7 games above .500"

Sure it is... If they would have lost seven of the games that they won, they would be 81-81... Last time I checked, that is .500...

Sure it is... If they would have lost seven of the games that they won, they would be 81-81... Last time I checked, that is .500...

Are you completely new to sports...or logic? If you win 14 games more than you lose, you are 14 games better than even. Saying "well, if they just lost 7 of the games they won" is an asinine argument. If a 90 win team loses 9 of the games that they won then they are .500. Gee, I guess 90 wins sucks too! Hey, if the Packers lost 5 of the games they won last year, they would have barely been a playoff team! :wacko:

Kind of feels like I'm arguing with Yogi Berra.

If the Tigers lost two of the games that they beat the Yankees, then they would only be tied with the Yankees! So they really just barely beat them.

Bottom line: your argument is flawed because it is based on something that could have happened, but didn't. It would be like me saying "yeah well, if McCain had beaten Obama we COULD have gone into a depression, so that makes what Obama has done pretty good!". The argument is based on a theoretical possibility and thus has no actual substance to it.

Congrats to the Tigers - and than you Baseball Jesus for yet another year of A-Fraud being dogshiat in the post season. :thumbsup:

Was at the game last night, what a great game to go to and witness.

Have tix all the way through for the 3 home games alos. Finally having season tix paid off.

Doubted the Giants would get this far...feels good to be wrong :banana: :banana:

..so far

I don't know which team I want, still the Cards I guess; what I want most is for Game Seven to go 25 innings or so.

Ideally, we'd see Justin in games 1,4,7 but alas... managers in todays game coddle their pitchers. Leyland may be old school, but not that old school.

I don't know which team I want, still the Cards I guess; what I want most is for Game Seven to go 25 innings or so.

Ideally, we'd see Justin in games 1,4,7 but alas... managers in todays game coddle their pitchers. Leyland may be old school, but not that old school.

The way the rest of the Tigers staff is throwing, I don't think the Tigers need to throw Verlander on short rest. My guess is that he'd throw Games 1 and 5 and then be available in relief for Game 7 if necessary. Talk about a ridiculous closer for a team that doesn't trust it's bullpen right now.

The more intriguing question is who will be in San Francisco's rotation and in what order (now that they are dispatching the Cardinals who came out in full 'our game seven was last night' mode).

Cain and Vogelsong are locks, but Cain won't be able to go until game 3 at the earliest (which also means he starts on the road, which is an advantage for Detroit), and Vogelsong would be on short rest if he goes in game 2. At the same time, there is no way they will try going the first two games without their top two starters, so it would see, the most likely order would be Zito-Vogelsong-Cain-??? with Lincecum and Bumgarner being equally undesirable options for the fourth spot.

I would have to think Sanchez may be the better option for games 2 and 6 because he's a career NL pitcher which would mean that he has a somewhat better clue about swinging the bat than Fister who only picks one up for the rare inter-league road games. They guy's use to seeing major league pitching his entire career and has had a professional batting coach working with him for years rather than for days, so that's gotta help.

I would have to think Sanchez may be the better option for games 2 and 6 because he's a career NL pitcher which would mean that he has a somewhat better clue about swinging the bat than Fister who only picks one up for the rare inter-league road games. They guy's use to seeing major league pitching his entire career and has had a professional batting coach working with him for years rather than for days, so that's gotta help.

Except that Sanchez is a career .091 hitter. It really comes down to which guy do you trust more to possibly avert disaster if you lose game 1? Honestly, I'd rather have Scherzer in that 3-7 spot in the rotation. Max has been dominating righties, and was our best pitcher after the All-Star break. No idea why you wouldn't want to set up to use him twice.

Headline should read - "Giants take down Giant". Wow, what a game - the best pitcher in baseball totally got his ass rocked. I'm not sure I've ever seen Verlander give up a 2 strike homer to anyone - that was crazy.

On my way to a Megalodon toof! :banana:

Headline should read - "Giants take down Giant". Wow, what a game - the best pitcher in baseball totally got his ass rocked. I'm not sure I've ever seen Verlander give up a 2 stike homer to anyone - that was crazy.

I tip my cap to Sandoval. The dude hit 3 great pitches, each a different pitch in a different spot. The WS series is great for seeing stuff you never see.

I was watching but couldn't really hear - what was the reasoning for bringing Lincecum in as relief, is he not planning on starting during the series? :unsure:

I was watching but couldn't really hear - what was the reasoning for bringing Lincecum in as relief, is he not planning on starting during the series? :unsure:

Nope...

No, Lincecum won't start unless Bumgarner is a disaster tonight and they need a Game 6 starter. Looks like it is Bumgarner in Game 2, Vogelsong in Game 3, Cain in Game 4, and then I assume Zito again in Game 5. After that, Game 6 could be Bumgarner again, Vogelsong on 3 days rest, or Lincecum.

Well if he indeed is going to be strictly relief, wow - what an asset. We have that here in Ogando - it's nice.

Can tigers make up an injury for valverde? He aint pitching again in this series unless they get blown out again. No use having him on the roster

Can tigers make up an injury for valverde? He aint pitching again in this series unless they get blown out again. No use having him on the roster

The Tigers could have left him off the World Series roster and added someone else...

Headline should read - "Giants take down Giant". Wow, what a game - the best pitcher in baseball totally got his ass rocked. I'm not sure I've ever seen Verlander give up a 2 strike homer to anyone - that was crazy.

On my way to a Megalodon toof! :banana:

He has, Verlander's one big weakness is giving up the long ball. He gets cocky and throws his fastball rather than going to his off-speed, and he pays for it a lot. If he can really control the long balls, his statline would be mind boggling.

I give all the credit to the Giants. Verlander wasn't pitching bad at all, they were just hitting good pitches. Pablo hit 2 legitimate swing and miss pitches by JV out of the yard, nothing you can do about that. It was just great hitting all game by the Giants.

Doug Fister is apparently impervious to rawhide. Line drive off the skull that lands somewhere in centerfield, and he doesn't so much as flinch. :shocking:

Doug Fister is apparently impervious to rawhide. Line drive off the skull that lands somewhere in centerfield, and he doesn't so much as flinch. :shocking:

Awesome and pitched an awesome 6 innings.

He has, Verlander's one big weakness is giving up the long ball. He gets cocky and throws his fastball rather than going to his off-speed, and he pays for it a lot. If he can really control the long balls, his statline would be mind boggling.

I give all the credit to the Giants. Verlander wasn't pitching bad at all, they were just hitting good pitches. Pablo hit 2 legitimate swing and miss pitches by JV out of the yard, nothing you can do about that. It was just great hitting all game by the Giants.

I've actually been feeling for you because I know you're a huge Tigers fan. You're a classy guy CTT.

Hoping the Tigers step it up in Detroit (just not up to the point of ultimately prevailing) so this can be a close series and great baseball.

I've actually been feeling for you because I know you're a huge Tigers fan. You're a classy guy CTT.

Hoping the Tigers step it up in Detroit (just not up to the point of ultimately prevailing) so this can be a close series and great baseball.

I will say, having gave all the credit to Giant hitting in game 1....the Giants got a lot of lucky bounces and calls in this game.

That being said, the Detroit bats were TERRIBLE, and madBum gave everything he had and won. The Giants may have scored their runs off of luck, but the Tigers still probably would have loss regardless.

Now it's time for the Tigers to hold nothing back. You lose any of these, it's over. The Giants will not lose an elimination game except for maybe a game 7 against JV. You have to IMMEDIATELY take away every ounce of momentum in game 3 and dominate. Otherwise, I see the Tigers losing in either 4 or 6. JV will not lose game 5, mark my words. JV may pitch the 2nd perfect game in WS history in game 5, he will not give an inch in that game.

The Tigers could have left him off the World Series roster and added someone else...

Yes I understand that, but that didnt answer my question

Who wants my game 5 tix that it looks like we wont be using now.

Fock if no game 6 that costs me close to $500 for the other set of tix I sold

I feel like I'm watching the 2010 WS all over again........ Fielder getting thrown turned the whole game. It was the correct call, but wow did it change the game.

I picked the Giants but certainly didn't see this kind of ass whooping coming. What's crazy is that outside of game 1 - the Tiger's staff pitched pretty damn good, really damn good actually. But it takes runs too and the bats were MIA this series. It happens, hats off to the Giants - well done gentlemen. :thumbsup:

Just goes to show that you can have a triple crown winner, one of the biggest FA signing, add to that the best pitcher in the game, and still come up short in the WS.

Baseball is a hard game to predict.

Just goes to show that you can have a triple crown winner, one of the biggest FA signing, add to that the best pitcher in the game, and still come up short in the WS.

Baseball is a hard game to predict.

Sh1t, they barely made the playoffs.

Honestly, the Tigers were beat by a better team. The Giants had great pitching, incredible defense, and timely offense. They did get all the bounces and breaks, but they were the better team on top of that. Congrats to them and their fans, the Giants have a winning organization for sure.

I gotta say, in '06, I was grateful the Tigers even got to the WS, and wasn't too disappointed when they got beat. Last year, I was really glad they beat the Yankees, and wasn't too upset that they got beat by a monster performance(N.Cruz) in the CS. This year is different though. I am truly not satisfied, I wouldn't of been unless they won it all. The expectation with all their talent is a WS win every year for the foreseeable future.

One huge positive was other than JV's stinker in game one of the WS(which I think was semi-excusable given Panda's historic performance and facing a red hot team), the starting rotation was historically good. Just incredible, every single game they came out and gave the Tigers a chance to win.

The offense was terrible all playoffs. Outside of a historically bad Valverde, the bullpen was solid. Miggy had a meh playoffs, but I think we all expect too much from him. He is one hitter, he can carry the team at times but we can't expect one player to always carry them. Prince was god awful. Jackson and Young were fantastic. After that everyone had a moment or two, but past that was terrible.

Looking ahead, if V-Mart comes back at 80%, and Delmon can somewhat translate his playoff success to the regular season, the Tigers have a bomb-ass 3-6, along with have Jackson leading off.