Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

New Training coming

Saw this in an email

<Name Removed> will offer a session on “Understanding Implicit Bias.” Implicit bias refers to the attitudes or stereotypes that affect our understanding, actions, and decisions in an unconscious manner. This workshop will provide information on how it impacts our workplace and strategies for developing self-awareness. More details are provided below:

Title: Understanding Implicit Bias

<Speakers Name removed)

Description: All of us want to be fair in our dealings with others. Nevertheless, and despite our conscious efforts, we sometimes make decisions that spring from our unconscious biases and assumptions about people and situations. Participants in this thought-provoking workshop will utilize interactive exercises and discussion to understand the concept of implicit bias, how it impacts our workplace interactions and decision-making, and strategies for developing self-awareness.

So, they are offering a workshop to help you combat a thought you don't even know you are having that might offend someone at some point in time? OMFG.....So now we aren't even chasing ghosts....we are chasing ghosts of ghosts.....

When did we become so focking soft that we allow the world to hurt us so easily? Where does this expectation of never being offended come from? Fock that......status quo can only be challenged by risking offending people, where can we progress if we never risk offending people? How can we have actual critical thought? Vet ideas??

This is pathetic.

I'm sure it's probably here that I saw the article about how expressions like as you all are aware, and as you all know..

Are mean.

Because it marginalizes stupid people I guess.

Id have to know more about the training to know whether its worth getting triggered over it.

Id have to know more about the training to know whether its worth getting triggered over it.

Implicit, or unconscious, bias are thoughts you do not realize your are having that affect your behaviors, in theory at least....there is no proof that this is true.

Personally, I do not give a rats ass what people think, only how they act.

Saw this in an email

So, they are offering a workshop to help you combat a thought you don't even know you are having that might offend someone at some point in time? OMFG.....So now we aren't even chasing ghosts....we are chasing ghosts of ghosts.....

When did we become so focking soft that we allow the world to hurt us so easily? Where does this expectation of never being offended come from? Fock that......status quo can only be challenged by risking offending people, where can we progress if we never risk offending people? How can we have actual critical thought? Vet ideas??

This is pathetic.

Don't get so hurt and offended by this, man.

snowflakes like you are why there is this training

Man up buttercup

Don't get so hurt and offended by this, man.

Yeah, you are probably right. Hard not rail against stupidity tho

Implicit, or unconscious, bias are thoughts you do not realize your are having that affect your behaviors, in theory at least....there is no proof that this is true.

Proof that implicit bias exists: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-think-about-implicit-bias/

They call it bias. I call it finely tuned instinct honed via trial and error and observation. It's not 100 % accurate but the result is being right more often than being wrong. Way more often.

They call it bias. I call it finely tuned instinct honed via trial and error and observation. It's not 100 % accurate but the result is being right more often than being wrong. Way more often.

Don't go bringing up common sense. They don't believe in that anymore and it is strictly prohibited because it is offensive.

We know that bias exists, no one is suggesting that it does not. The notion that one can change thoughts that they do not even realize they are having is absurd, further who cares what anyone THINKS, what do they actually DO?

I may think about how much I want to fock a hottie at the beach, did I fock her? If not, what I think is irrelevant.

If people focused on their behaviors, something they can actually control, i am on board, but this nonsense that you have these hidden thoughts in your mind that result in action is unproven and a complete waste of time.

We know that bias exists, no one is suggesting that it does not. The notion that one can change thoughts that they do not even realize they are having is absurd, further who cares what anyone THINKS, what do they actually DO?

I may think about how much I want to fock a hottie at the beach, did I fock her? If not, what I think is irrelevant.

If people focused on their behaviors, something they can actually control, i am on board, but this nonsense that you have these hidden thoughts in your mind that result in action is unproven and a complete waste of time.

This is Catholicism 101. Bad thoughts are sins and you must feel guilty for having them and repent. The bad thoughts must be driven out or you will act on those bad thoughts.

I am guessing the course is about realizing your biases before acting on them. Why not approach it with an open mind? At worst its another corporate time waster.

At worst its another corporate time waster.

Bingo. Another bullsh!t program by the retards with liberal arts degrees in HR.

I am guessing the course is about realizing your biases before acting on them. Why not approach it with an open mind? At worst its another corporate time waster.

Because my time is devoted to meaningful endeavors, like controlling actual behaviors.

This is akin to saying that your actions are the result of your hidden biases. So if I do not like it that black people drive slow I can attribute it to their hidden biases and ask them to be trained out of that insensitive behavior.

It's not about actual behaviors, its about trying to guilt people into behaving the way THEY think is appropriate but using this idea of hidden bias as the tool to compel it. Not buying it.

What you think influences your actions. If you are aware implicit bias exists, you can limit its impact in your decision making/actions.

What you think influences your actions. If you are aware implicit bias exists, you can limit its impact in your decision making/actions.

Or ignore your instincts at your own peril.

You sound like a chick relying on instinct/intuition so much. Use your brain, man.

You sound like a chick relying on instinct/intuition so much. Use your brain, man.

You sound like a sucker and you're FOS by the way. I'll dump you in some neighborhoods by yourself and see how you feel. Your instinct will be in overdrive.

Because my time is devoted to meaningful endeavors, like controlling actual behaviors.

This is akin to saying that your actions are the result of your hidden biases. So if I do not like it that black people drive slow I can attribute it to their hidden biases and ask them to be trained out of that insensitive behavior.

It's not about actual behaviors, its about trying to guilt people into behaving the way THEY think is appropriate but using this idea of hidden bias as the tool to compel it. Not buying it.

Some of your actions are the result of hidden biases. If you realize such biases exist, you can try to minimize them in favor of more rational/fair decision making tools.

You sound like a sucker and you're FOS by the way. I'll dump you in some neighborhoods by yourself and see how you feel. Your instinct will be in overdrive.

Spare me. This isn’t about making friends in a crime ridden neighborhood. It’s about giving a qualified minority applicant a fair shot despite spending time in that neighborhood.

Spare me. This isnt about making friends in a crime ridden neighborhood. Its about giving a qualified minority applicant a fair shot despite spending time in that neighborhood.

Oh see, I wouldn't have that kind of bias. At all. I've worked with and for many minorities. Shame on anyone who does. Shame that you do.

Oh see, I wouldn't have that kind of bias. At all. I've worked with and for many minorities. Shame on anyone who does. Shame that you do.

Bullsh!t. Everyone has some bias, and you’ve given plenty of evidence of yours on this bored.

People already limit their impact, this is evident. What is being done here is something else. It's the notion that someone wants to control ALL of your behaviors, so then some individual or group gets to define an action they do not like and then attribute it to some thought you do not even know you had.

it is completely absurd. Though if you want to control someone, its a solid way to go, I would think North Koreans already have this trademarked.

Bullsh!t. Everyone has some bias, and youve given plenty of evidence of yours on this bored.

No, you said bias in giving a qualified minority an equal opportunity. That was the reason you say this training is necessary. Not for me. Now if I'm in certain areas and I see people dressed a certain way and acting a certain way, my instinct will be to be on guard. If they are wearing a suit or other normal clothing and peacefully going about their business, I won't be on guard. No matter their race.

At least youre approaching it with an open mind. :thumbsup:

Look at that glass house, anyone have a rock?

Yup

I have 26 direct reports, of which I've hired 19 (the other 7 were either here when I got here, were moved under me as I took over other teams). Of those that I've hired, there's only one that I would not have hired based on appearance alone (his interviews were done over the phone as he's in a different state). It would have entirely been because of my own bias, but I would have been right not to. That person's the type of person who does just enough to get by and nothing more.

I have 26 direct reports, of which I've hired 19 (the other 7 were either here when I got here, were moved under me as I took over other teams). Of those that I've hired, there's only one that I would not have hired based on appearance alone (his interviews were done over the phone as he's in a different state). It would have entirely been because of my own bias, but I would have been right not to. That person's the type of person who does just enough to get by and nothing more.

I once hired this guy, a 60-year old Navy vet, used a cane to walk and his eyes were mostly shot, was living in his ex-wifes basement for chrissake.....all the other mangers on the program passed on him, and I was ridiculed for hiring him, but that man worked his focking arse off, and I knew he would....just by his situation and talking to him. Like every other candidate he had the certs, the education and experience. His age, appearance, issues all turned the others off.....but you have to be able to look past stuff and focus only on that which matters.

Within 9 months dood got his own apartment, bought a car, and was thriving, killing it at work too. I still chat with him occasionally, even 10 years later.

I once hired this guy, a 60-year old Navy vet, used a cane to walk and his eyes were mostly shot, was living in his ex-wifes basement for chrissake.....all the other mangers on the program passed on him, and I was ridiculed for hiring him, but that man worked his focking arse off, and I knew he would....just by his situation and talking to him. Like every other candidate he had the certs, the education and experience. His age, appearance, issues all turned the others off.....but you have to be able to look past stuff and focus only on that which matters.

Within 9 months dood got his own apartment, bought a car, and was thriving, killing it at work too. I still chat with him occasionally, even 10 years later.

The guy I'm talking about is just a slob. I've seen him "dressed up" when I've been in the office he works out of and he just clearly doesn't care about his appearance. Had I seen that in the interview, I would have gone with option B.

The guy I'm talking about is just a slob. I've seen him "dressed up" when I've been in the office he works out of and he just clearly doesn't care about his appearance. Had I seen that in the interview, I would have gone with option B.

Some of the best technical people I have had should never be allowed near a client, in fact they should be locked away in some basement room away from everyone else; I know they prefer it, and the rest of the folks would support it.

How they appear becomes secondary to what I can get out of them.

I have implicit bias against snakes, bee's and alligators. Well, I think I do. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure most are nice but damn if I'm going to hang out with them on a daily basis to find out. I just steer clear and leave them alone. Best for both of us.

I have implicit bias against snakes, bee's and alligators. Well, I think I do. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure most are nice but damn if I'm going to hang out with them on a daily basis to find out. I just steer clear and leave them alone. Best for both of us.

And I’m sure you’d never mischaracterize a hawk moth based on your anti-bee sentiment.

You guys are all impeccable judges of character :thumbsup:

Some of the best technical people I have had should never be allowed near a client, in fact they should be locked away in some basement room away from everyone else; I know they prefer it, and the rest of the folks would support it.

How they appear becomes secondary to what I can get out of them.

That's absolutely true.