Sign in to follow this  
Damifiknow

I'm a REAL rookie, and I REALLY want to know . . .

"Redraft." Okay, what exactly is a "redraft?" Does it mean all the owners are the same as last year (or however long), drafting a new team every year?

"Bump." I see it a lot, but I'm clueless.

"Dynasty." Keeper was easy; I have an idea what dynasty means, but I'm not sure.

I may be a rookie with only a year of experience, but I really do want to know what I'm doing, and what everyone is saying. The forums here seem to be the best, with some helpful advice (I nowunderstand VBD, have CC/DB and understand how to use them), so help me out here, if you don't mind.

Thanks!

cmon man.....

I am DEAD serious! I played last year for the first time, and am hooked. Now maybe if I were a guy who had a lot of guy friends, I'd know what all these things mean because we'd talk about them lots. I'm not. I'm female, past 50, work at home (yeah, a real job I get paid for), and my hubster isn't much into sports, so I'm on my own.

Please just pretend I'm a 5 year old, and instead of making remarks like 'cmon man,' help me out. I even came to the board that's for HELP! Proves I'm not a TOTAL idiot, maybe.

i'm too lazy for nubees :(

So pick ONE of my questions, use one syllable words to define, and you can even misspell 'em! I'm serious, I'm hooked, and I don't wanna be clueless any longer than I hafta be. :lol:

Oh, alright. I'll bite.

Redraft - each year, all of the players from each team get tossed back into the pool and everyone "Redrafts" a new team.

Bump - when you make a post on this board, and it doesn't get replied to, it will drop down the list. You need to "bump" it back towards the top of the list. You do this by "replying" to your own post with the word "bump"

Dynasty - That's a TV show from the late 70's, early 80's. A lot like "Dallas", cept it had hotter women. B)

"Redraft." Okay, what exactly is a "redraft?" Does it mean all the owners are the same as last year (or however long), drafting a new team every year?

"Bump." I see it a lot, but I'm clueless.

"Dynasty." Keeper was easy; I have an idea what dynasty means, but I'm not sure.

I may be a rookie with only a year of experience, but I really do want to know what I'm doing, and what everyone is saying. The forums here seem to be the best, with some helpful advice (I nowunderstand VBD, have CC/DB and understand how to use them), so help me out here, if you don't mind.

Thanks!

I'll will gladly help in any way that I can:

Redraft: Where all the players are thrown into the hat....draw out a draft order and draft away. You throw all the players back into the draft and start with an empty roster.

Dynasty: When you draft a team this year....it's your team forever....you draft at the beginning of each year for any players not on rosters and the rookie class that has come out. Some Dynasty's don't keep all their players....some do. IMO.....Dynasties suck.

Two/three man keeper leagues are the best.

Understand?

Anymore questions? I am the self appointed fantasy football know it all guy....If I don't have an answer, I'll make something up that's good!

Oh, alright. I'll bite.

Redraft - each year, all of the players from each team get tossed back into the pool and everyone "Redrafts" a new team.

Bump - when you make a post on this board, and it doesn't get replied to, it will drop down the list. You need to "bump" it back towards the top of the list. You do this by "replying" to your own post with the word "bump"

Dynasty - That's a TV show from the late 70's, early 80's. A lot like "Dallas", cept it had hotter women. :first:

Heather Locklear in her younger years.....woo hooo

I know you guys couldn't care less but... Do you have any idea how arrogant you come across with some of the responses given to this question. It could be that he's just being a goof, in which case he needs to get a life, or he could really be wanting to know. Why respond in the first place if you're only going to be critical?

Why bother to even type an answer like "cmon man" if that's how you feel? I mean really, cmon man...

Oh alright I'll bite? Sounds like you've got a busy evening going on and been interrupted.

I don't have time for nubees? I don't have time for knuckleheads to explain how ignorant that really is.

I'm only saying this because for some people this site offers a chance to develop their thinking and strategizing for FF as well as find out bits of information regarding teams and players that they may not have had time to research themselves or known where to find it. These same people are often at different levels of experience with FF than such important figures as yourselves.

I'm sure in your real lives your not this ridiculous. Why bother with it here?

I know you guys couldn't care less but... Do you have any idea how arrogant you come across with some of the responses given to this question. It could be that he's just being a goof, in which case he needs to get a life, or he could really be wanting to know. Why respond in the first place if you're only going to be critical?

Why bother to even type an answer like "cmon man" if that's how you feel? I mean really, cmon man...

Oh alright I'll bite? Sounds like you've got a busy evening going on and been interrupted.

I don't have time for nubees? I don't have time for knuckleheads to explain how ignorant that really is.

I'm only saying this because for some people this site offers a chance to develop their thinking and strategizing for FF as well as find out bits of information regarding teams and players that they may not have had time to research themselves or known where to find it. These same people are often at different levels of experience with FF than such important figures as yourselves.

I'm sure in your real lives your not this ridiculous. Why bother with it here?

You're over reacting Sharkie. At least to my post and Cuse's. I did answer his/her questions. I was gonna come back with the Dynasty answer, but saw it was already answered. I guess you would need to be on the board a little longer to understand the "I'll bite" comment.

I noticed you had nothing to add, except to criticize other posters. BTW, I agree with you on the "C'mon man" comments and like.

THANKS to ALL who gave answers. Used to watch Dynasty, so that one gave me a chuckle, and someone else answered, so I'm good to go. I THINK those were the only terms I wasn't sure of. Should have noticed the 'bumps' were coming from the original authors (duhhhhh!), and had the right idea about redrafts. My thinking on dynasty was close . . .

Anyway, yes, I am an honest-to-God rookie here, I have been reading for at least three weeks and trying to puzzle things out, and have learned a lot. One thing I've learned is that a whole lotta guys here are suspicious of anyone claiming to be a rookie; maybe those guys have become that way after being jerked around by fakes, and maybe they spend their whole lives being suspicious and sarcastic - what a waste.

Still, I've spent some time on a couple of other forums, including ESPN, and this one is the best, with the most help available. I appreciate that more than you know. I am SERIOUSLY trying to learn, and really do appreciate the help. Maybe next year I'll be considered a geek . . .

Oh, and just FYI, I really am NOT a guy. Probably irrelevant to most, but it might explain how I can readily admit to being a rookie, and not having lots of guy friend around to ask. After all, my hubster is into reptiles and Sci-Fi - he can take or leave sports, and usually takes them only to humor me.

Thanks! Had been to fftoolbox, and bookmarked it, but hadn't seen the dictionary. Would have helped with redraft and dynasty, but certainly not 'bump.' None of the other terms were new to me, but it doesn't hurt to know the dictionary is there! :D

Well, glad to have you around. There's all sorts on this board, so you never can tell what answers you may get. :P

The fact you are are not a guy, may get you even stranger answers..or worse yet, questions.

Oh, and if someone asks for your "Can Size?" , they're not asking about your garbage receptacle! :D

Have a good season!

Dynasty: When you draft a team this year....it's your team forever....you draft at the beginning of each year for any players not on rosters and the rookie class that has come out. Some Dynasty's don't keep all their players....some do. IMO.....Dynasties suck.

Understand?

Anymore questions? I am the self appointed fantasy football know it all guy....If I don't have an answer, I'll make something up that's good!

Thanks, 'Cuse9. I saw a post about joining a Dynasty league, and am glad I didn't. Wish one of my teams from last year had been in a dynasty league . . . So in a dynasty, if a player is a bust, you can't drop him at the end of the season, or the beginning of the next? If that's the case, it sucks.

Yep, understand, no more questions at this time, and yeah, all us gals envied Heather Locklear. At this point I think I've been happier than most of those georgeous girls (I have the world's best hubster, even if he's not a sports nut!), but back when I was young and dumb, I sure woulda traded a lot for what I thought they had!

Well, glad to have you around. There's all sorts on this board, so you never can tell what answers you may get. :P

Oh, and if someone asks for your "Can Size?" , they're not asking about your garbage receptacle! :D

Have a good season!

Yeah, been asked that as "proof" of my non-manhood; I said if it meant "hooters," I didn't need implants OR BRS; was also asked to "link," and someone said that meant post a picture, so I sent them to my website for my dogs (I show Akitas for fun) where I'm in some of the pictures. Never did get a straight answer as to whether cans = hooters . . .

I can deal with crazy answers, I'm persistent, I LOVE football and FF, and I know there are a lot of people here who don't mind helping out a serious student of the game!

Well, You got the cans definition down. :D

Now....I'm off to find that link of yours.. :P

So, this is your first year at FF? Have you drafted yet?

Well, You got the cans definition down. :huh:

Now....I'm off to find that link of yours.. :mad:

So, this is your first year at FF? Have you drafted yet?

Link is http://www.sajoakitas.com/public.html/girls.htm

As I said when posting it before, I'm not the cutie or the judge in the top photo, but the aging broad in the second and third (one in shorts, one showing a pretty silver fawn ######).

No, this is my 2nd year. Last year I looked up some stuff, got a feel for who and how to draft, and had sixteen teams before it was all over. All free but one, and overall, I made the playoffs in 8, the final game in 5, and won the league in 2.

I tried to hold off until later, but have been itching for football for so long, I have already signed up for about 16 (again!) have drafted in 4, and have drafts running from July 30 through Sept 6 this year. I retired early, and work at home running the Clinical Virology Symposium (www.virologysymposium.org) for my last boss, so I have plenty of time to spend. The busy times for the job are July- September and January - May, so spending 10 - 15 hours a week on FF isn't a hardship, and keeps me out of trouble!

Am trying to avoid joining many more leagues, but would like to find one or two 'reasonable' pay leagues, just because of the stronger committment by the owners. I HATE it when people quit playing, or draft a team and never even START playing. Guess it's the nfl.com curse. :P

Link is http://www.sajoakitas.com/public.html/girls.htm

As I said when posting it before, I'm not the cutie or the judge in the top photo, but the aging broad in the second and third (one in shorts, one showing a pretty silver fawn ######).

:D Just learned I can't use the PROPER term for a female show dog here! It's so proper, the clases are listed as for "Dogs" (males) and "B*****s" (females). Wow! Won't do THAT again!

sixteen teams

You're crazy!!! When I first started, I was in quite few different leagues at the same time, but I found that it made it too difficult to just enjoy the games. Little by little, year by year, I shaved it down to where I am now.

After being in so many leagues, I was able to pick the things that I liked best from each, start my own league and just manage one team.

You're crazy!!! When I first started, I was in quite few different leagues at the same time, but I found that it made it too difficult to just enjoy the games. Little by little, year by year, I shaved it down to where I am now.

Well, not exactly crazy, but definitely OC. When I like something, I tend to do it to distraction, and I want to try lots of different approaches till I find the right one. I really did enjoy it last year, and have to say I liked finding ways to improve my worst teams, but I think once I get better overall at the drafting and learning who to sit and who to start, I'll be less driven.

I can only liken this to when I started playing soccer at the ripe old age of 30. I practiced 5 nights a week, we played on Sunday, and my only soccer-free day was Saturday - and Saturday drove me nuts! I also played in goal on the Women's Over-30 All-Stars my first year in the league, probably because of the blessing/curse of being OC . . . <_<

How many teams are you comfortable with now?

Redraft: Where all the players are thrown into the hat....draw out a draft order and draft away. You throw all the players back into the draft and start with an empty roster.

Understand?

What do you mean in her younger years!!!!

What do you mean in her younger years!!!!

I stand corrected! Still hot.

As far as dynasty leagues go, it really depends on who is in the league. My favorite league is my dynasty league. As long as you have committed owners it can be great.

Also, you can drop as many players as you wish in a dynasty league, but you would have to pick up players either through the draft (which is 5 rounds in our league) or after the draft amongst whomever is left.

Good luck!!

As far as dynasty leagues go, it really depends on who is in the league. My favorite league is my dynasty league. As long as you have committed owners it can be great.

Also, you can drop as many players as you wish in a dynasty league, but you would have to pick up players either through the draft (which is 5 rounds in our league) or after the draft amongst whomever is left.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the info (and the 'Good Luck!'), and the different take on dynasty leagues. I really did wonder whether you had to keep the worst of your players regardless. Glad to know that's not true. Sometimes the leftovers can surprise you in a good way, as I found out last year.

I'll tell you the best way to get anywhere in this site.

Alot of guys are very sarcastic on this site, but they usually respect good opinions or advice. Won't they don't like are new members (newbies) coming in acting like they know it all. Even if you have done fantasy football for 15 years...if your a rookie in here, that is exactly what you are...a rookie. Don't act like you know it all....and if you give info, tell where you got...especially if you can leave a link.

And if you screw up...don't be afraid to admit it. I was trying to "help" people and had Moats as being a TD vulture and Force of Two called me out on it. (I was actually thinking of Brandon Jacobs when I was talking about Moats, but don't tell Force of Two)...bottom line is, he was right and I couldn't give him any crap because he was right. Of course he's wrong about Reggie Bush, but we can't all be perfect :banana: !

Anyway, take the forums for what they are worth....a good time and you'll get good info on moves and injury updates and such and alot of good insight from players from everywhere!

I'm out.................