Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

Affirmative Action and all that jazz

Expand on that. What do you mean by "set aside"? Set aside as in lower standards for those students to be accepted? Are we talking about top tier Ivy League type schools. Any and all colleges?

I would suggest that a small set of seats be added to the standard level of applicants. I am not interested in harming any individual because they happen to have less melanin in their skin, or helping anyone because they have less melanin.

I think the designation of a set number of seats to the highest performers in locations where crime and poverty are elevated seems like an acceptable way to at least allow those who work hard to gain access to higher level education, and negate the cultural facets that might be holding them back from fairly competing. What about that kind of approach?

Frankly, I'm disappointed at Farrakhan.

He told us like 30 years ago or more that both AIDS and crack were specifically designed to kill off the Negro.

Fuucking want a refund.

I would suggest that a small set of seats be added to the standard level of applicants. I am not interested in harming any individual because they happen to have less melanin in their skin, or helping anyone because they have less melanin.

I think the designation of a set number of seats to the highest performers in locations where crime and poverty are elevated seems like an acceptable way to at least allow those who work hard to gain access to higher level education, and negate the cultural facets that might be holding them back from fairly competing. What about that kind of approach?

Wouldn't the highest performers from these areas be eligible for higher education of some sort already? What's the difference of an MD graduate from U of Washington versus Harvard? One college has lower requirements of acceptance, but both churn out DR.s.? Ones cheaper. Ones a state school. Etc.

Wouldn't the highest performers from these areas be eligible for higher education of some sort already? What's the difference of an MD graduate from U of Washington versus Harvard? One college has lower requirements of acceptance, but both churn out DR.s.? Ones cheaper. Ones a state school. Etc.

It might be that when you stack up the statistical rankings the hard working kid from an impoverished area falls short, but I want to ensure that hard working kid who suffers from a sick culture that likely held them back gets some chance.

I guess its not philosophically true to attempt to do so. I mean, so what if you do not get into Harvard?

I am not blaming white people, I'm defending black people!

Read up! Someone quoted an article that said the blacks get in with low SAT scores hence why the Asians aren't getting in. I say, it ain't just us getting in with lower scores. We make up a very small amount. Trust and believe if grades and SAT scores were all they looked at 70% of the students would be Asian.

College application shouldnt even have your name on it. Should just be your grades, ACT, SAT scores and thats it. No name, religion, nothing. Let the cream rise to the top.

• Like 1

Set asides. You think nooooo blacks got in on their grades. My daughter got in on her grades! She was skipped a grade AND an honor student.

I'm for getting rid of affirmative action just to shut you all the duck up!

Luckily we have the internet and kids have access to information now. It's not like when we were growing up where you only had your dumb ass parents, teachers and library to guide you.

Many of my teachers were not good at all. Thank God for Catholic school where I got a decent education. The public schools were the worst.

We can't possibly know that without can size.

C

Many of my teachers were not good at all. Thank God for Catholic school where I got a decent education. The public schools were the worst.

And that is a result of AA! Lower standards = teachers that are not good at all. Why don’t you get it?

Affirmative action is the policy of favoring members of a disadvantaged group

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action

Set asides. You think nooooo blacks got in on their grades. My daughter got in on her grades! She was skipped a grade AND an honor student.

Hmmm, except I pointedly note "hard working kid from an impoverished area" that covers actual need, not skins color. Colleges have been verbally skirting the supreme court ruling banning quotas, but got caught here doing just that.

I find it humorous that they weer doing it to a minority group, and it was THAT factor that got them caught....

Some do, most dont. Thats a fact. A lot of blacks should be going to community college and they get free rides to Yale. Its bullsh!t.

It is really entertaining watching her trying to process the question when Tucker asks it.

He was very polite to her, in spite of the flaws in her position. Love how she decided that slavery and Jim Crow was somehow relevant to current immigrants. This is what passes for critical thinking today.

At my daughter's school Latinos complained that they are applying now 300% more than they applied in the 70's yet their admission rate is exactly the same as it was in the 70's.

Do you not understand that elite schools are keeping them white????

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Everyone is like, "Oh, they let 12 blacks in with lower SAT scores!"

When everyone is discriminated against in favor of keeping whites as a majority.

If grades alone were how and why kids were admitted 1st generation immigrant children would fill our universities, irrespective of color.

At my daughter's school Latinos complained that they are applying now 300% more than they applied in the 70's yet their admission rate is exactly the same as it was in the 70's.

When everyone is discriminated against in favor of keeping whites as a majority.

If grades alone were how and why kids were admitted 1st generation immigrant children would fill our universities, irrespective of color.

Can you provide a link for any of this?

I wish people would stop saying whites when it comes to the topic of admissions to elite schools. Please put the word " rich" in front of whites. It's rich whites, not middle class or poor whites reaping the advantage.

I think I understand your point, and I would like to reach some elements of consensus.

Can we at least agree that access to education should be available to all persons, regardless of race, gender, religion, or political affiliation? I suspect we can find common ground on this basic point.

Can we further agree that access to these institutions is predominantly dependent on performance? But that other factors are, reportedly, considered; such as race and gender?

The assertion that these institutions are "keeping them white" grinds against all the policies they implement, and pointedly Harvard is actively defending their choice to make it harder for Asians. I understand that this is emotional for you and you have been fed a dogma that tell you all disparities are due to the hidden hand of some conspiracy, but we have to live in the real world.

You are very emphatic, but being sure of something does not make it true, using statistics to reinforce your bias does not help. I think you have something close to activist privilege, an arrogance that allows you to decide who can or cannot have an opinion and what opinions are true and false without critical analysis. This is undoing centuries of progress since the enlightenment, campuses that were once a bastion of critical thinking and ideas are now just daycare centers for outrage merchants.

I wish people would stop saying whites when it comes to the topic of admissions to elite schools. Please put the word " rich" in front of whites. It's rich whites, not middle class or poor whites reaping the advantage.

Even the Asians are using this. They are demonstrating that they are pretty darn smart, it does them NO good at all to go after the AA element by itself, they too must make it about "white" in order to maintain the integrity of their argument. They are doing a masterful job of navigating this. But the bottom line is that the university system has been punishing them for being very successful.

Rich Minorities have the same advantage.

Nope. I'm white. I paid all of my tuition on my own $ by waiting tables and bartending full time while I went to school. Black people can do that too. Those jobs I had also were also occupied by black people at the same establishments where I worked.

At that time, I lived on my own and lived paycheck to paycheck. Noone was helping me. It's called making a decision on your life goals.

Noone was blocking the black people at the school I went to.

This cannot be proven. The depiction of the system shows us that Asians were being harmed by this system to the benefit of others, to include those of African decent, to pretend that is not possible or part of this is at least disingenuous.

The lawsuit is valid, I hope it implements change. Harming a group because they are successful is not the way to run an institution of learning.

You are correct sir. Probably a bigger one. I'm up for a class war on this issue. Because that's what it's really all about.

The SJW's have a ready-made response for that. Since our society was built by white men, is "dominated" by white men, then it is inherently "racist" and therefore even minorities who are wealthy, smart, capable, are disadvantaged.....I sh!t you not....THAT is their focking "logic", its sickening.

RLLD:

So, do you believe the reason pro football, basketball and baseball teams were all white and are now longer so is just because minorities suddenly learned how to play the game??

You just think there was or is no such thing as racism?

Trust and believe, racism is far worse than you imagined.

I'm done with this thread.

RLLD:

So, do you believe the reason pro football, basketball and baseball teams were all white and are now longer so is just because minorities suddenly learned how to play the game??

Can we start living and dealing with current day? There are so many minorities who were born after this garbage that just need to start living in the now and taking care of themselves.

Can we start living and dealing with current day? There are so many minorities who were born after this garbage that just need to start living in the now and taking care of themselves.

Then you're arguing that Asians are lying.

Either they are being discriminated against or they are not, which is it???

Then you're arguing that Asians are lying.

Either they are being discriminated against or they are not, which is it???

There were more asians in my college classes than whites.

RLLD:

I believe that there was a time when there were institutional policies that inhibited opportunities for minorities, luckily the government stopped doing that.

We have clear evidence that racism existed, there were actual laws on the books to encourage it, and our culture absolutely behaved in a racist manner.

Racism is a blight on world history, and American history, and still exists today in part of the world; I know because I have witnessed it first hand.

Attempting to resolve past injustices with current injustice is just not something I will agree with.

Dammit. I've put off participating since it's 5:30 AM and my brain is in energy saver mode.

I believe that there was a time when there were institutional policies that inhibited opportunities for minorities, luckily the government stopped doing that.

We have clear evidence that racism existed, there were actual laws on the books to encourage it, and our culture absolutely behaved in a racist manner.

Racism is a blight on world history, and American history, and still exists today in part of the world; I know because I have witnessed it first hand.

Attempting to resolve past injustices with current injustice is just not something I will agree with.

But that is exactly what is happening to these Asians, institutional racism.

Perhaps you guys need to read:

In November 2014, Students for Fair Admissions (SFFA) filed its lawsuit, alleging that Harvard is “employing racially and ethnically discriminatory policies and procedures in administering the undergraduate admissions program” that are biased against Asian-American applicants.

The plaintiffs say internal data shows Asian-American applicants are rated lower on personal metrics, despite outperforming white applicants in other areas. SFFA argues that Harvard effectively uses a quota to cap the percentage of Asian-American admissions, and that the school engages in “racial balancing” to maintain a certain racial breakdown on campus.

The Harvard case is not the first time that a college was accused of discriminating against Asian-American students. In the 1980s, student activists noticed that Asian-American college admission rates remained stagnant despite a rapid increase in the number of college-aged Asian Americans. They argued that the stagnation was largely due to biased admissions practices that kept the number of admitted Asian Americans relatively low, while favoring white applicants.

They say Harvard regularly rated Asian Americans as less “courageous” or “less “likable” than white students, and admitted more whites than Asian Americans, despite Asian Americans besting whites on the other metrics.

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/18/17984108/harvard-asian-americans-affirmative-action-racial-discrimination

So stop posting crap about blacks and "low SAT scores" that is not what this is about.

Remind me again how there is no such thing as institutional racism??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Perhaps you guys need to read:

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/18/17984108/harvard-asian-americans-affirmative-action-racial-discrimination

So stop posting crap about blacks and "low SAT scores" that is not what this is about.

Remind me again how there is no such thing as institutional racism??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

There were more asians in most of my classes than whites in college. Just saying. Black people should work towards their goals. I work with tons that did and were not rich when they started out.

But that is exactly what is happening to these Asians, institutional racism.

They are being treated like white students, how can that be racist?

AA is not exclusively about reparations for historic inequality. It also seeks to promote diversity, which is thought to improve society through increased interactions between groups that might otherwise remain functionally segregated. Moreover, it seeks to overcome implicit bias, which keeps the majority in positions of power.

Whether those goal are more important than the downsides of AA ("reverse" racisms, lower standards, etc.) is debatable. :dunno:

"Which keeps the majority in positions of power". Uh, I think being the majority is what keeps the majority in power. That had this thing called apartheid, where the minority was in power. It was frowned upon.

Still bringing up Affirmative Action?

More specifically, SFFA v. Harvard largely focuses on whether Harvard violated the Civil Rights Act by discriminating against Asian Americans. This question is not directly connected to affirmative action,