Sign in to follow this  
Torn

General Draft Discussion

Great progress! All the way to 24.09 this fast is pretty impressive. Kysar will need until about 8:30 tonight give or take, ...Pacific time. Good job everybody! :thumbsup:

Great progress! All the way to 24.09 this fast is pretty impressive. Kysar will need until about 8:30 tonight give or take, ...Pacific time. Good job everybody! :thumbsup:

Agreed - we've moved through this at a great pace! We should be able to wrap this up before the weekend hits!

Arrrggghhh - Strom, Murphy was my guy. Give me a few mins to regroup.

i assumed some of the wait on catcher guys had murphy as their target, then i was surprised to see some less popular late round guys going off the board and him still being there.

Was curious when sonny would go

Never been scooped in the 28th round before, but Shaw was definitely my next pick. LOL :mad: :shocking: :lol:

This was an amazingly 'scoop-free' draft, ...until the 25th-26th rounds, ...when the trifecta of Brandon Maurer, Matt Strahm ( :mad: oooooy, that one hurt the most), and then Koda Glover, ...scooped AGAIN. After the first two were gone, GONE, ...I was down to a short list of Glover, Ryan Pressly, and Joaquim Soria. So, when Godfather nailed me again, ...I thought "Geez, ...what does it take to get a quality 6th RP! :dunno:

I was humming along pretty well myself and was pleased that my targets were available from rounds 22-24. I ALWAYS get scooped in these "find your keepers" type of rounds. Then strombn got me with Murphy in the 25th and I ended up taking Josh Bell in a flustered hurry. In hindsight, I would have preferred to grab Barretto, Glover or Brahm who were all snagged before it got back to me.

I ALWAYS get scooped in these "find your keepers" type of rounds.

Wait.. keepers?!?! FoCK

This was an amazingly 'scoop-free' draft, ...until the 25th-26th rounds, ...when the trifecta of Brandon Maurer, Matt Strahm ( :mad: oooooy, that one hurt the most), and then Koda Glover, ...scooped AGAIN. After the first two were gone, GONE, ...I was down to a short list of Glover, Ryan Pressly, and Joaquim Soria. So, when Godfather nailed me again, ...I thought "Geez, ...what does it take to get a quality 6th RP! :dunno:

I had Reynaldo Lopez in my sites, ...and then, ... Well, ...at least Musgrove hasn't been optioned to the minors, ...yet. The Jose Martinez pick was totally a "Who dat?", shot in the dark. Click on the Spring Stats, ...for hitting in the combined Cactus/Grapefruit leagues, ..., ...then click on OPS. #2 is Jose Martinez (#1 is Osuna with the Pirates, ...24 years old, ...way, WAY down the list of prospects). Jose M. ...is 28 years old, ...with virtually NO MLB track record, ...and a mediocre minor league record. :music_guitarred: I smell the next Albert Pujols hitting the scene!!

Are you SURE that's what you smell? :P

I think I smell a FRIED brain. Just spent 2 hours drafting a 12-team Yahoo Pro50 league. I *think* it went quite well. With us down to just a few pick here, ...this has been a marathon of thinking, ....and OVER-THINKING. I am now properly prepared for the *semi* cerebral task of, ......dare I say it, ....WORK. :shocking:

Brandon Finnegan may end up sucking but I would have taken him rounds ago but I thought he had been picked.

For a guy who I think finished the 2016 season very strong and is young i thought he was long gone. I just randomly read something about him last night and happened to check the spreadsheet.

I think I smell a FRIED brain. Just spent 2 hours drafting a 12-team Yahoo Pro50 league. I *think* it went quite well. With us down to just a few pick here, ...this has been a marathon of thinking, ....and OVER-THINKING. I am now properly prepared for the *semi* cerebral task of, ......dare I say it, ....WORK. :shocking:

I've got another draft on Sunday night. The online drafts are so different, 1 minute max for a pick. Tough to keep track of who has what, your own favorites, etc. I like our slow draft better. Half the fun is the research, self debate and second guessing.

So, sorry if this comes off as lame but I usually like to evaluate/give a little perspective on my drafts when I do them. First of all, aside from the Geek homers league, this is by far the most serious and competitive fantasy baseball league I have been a part of in quite some time (i usually just do a random ESPN league or two) so thanks for having me!

I definitely got a little lucky with the nice keeper talent pool left by the abandoned teams as well as drawing the 1st pick. After looking at all the viable keeper options, I really wanted that 1st pick. Granted, my first two keepers are donzo after this season but i'm a play for the moment, worry about the future later type of fantasy player.

I got lucky that someone took Kershaw before me in round 1. Kershaw is a great, great pick but I had my heart set on a list of 6 hitters, so to be able to snag the final one was awesome.

I also got extremely lucky with the first trade I made. I knew I was giving up too much for a homer player in Archer when there were really good options like DeGrom and Strasburg on the board but it actually was a blessing in disguise. Giving up my 5th round pick kept me from drafting Ian Desmond (100% lock as my 5.7 pick).

.... as you can see, lots of luck.

I think I took a more veteran approach than most of you which is probably due to this format being new to me (4 keepers and round associations). I tried to make a conscious effort to draft some younger upside guys (Bedrosian, Daniel Norris, Cesar Hernandez) but was completely unprepared for where some of the younger, high upside guys were going to go. Dansby Swanson for example. Keon Broxton. There were many more but those two jump out because they were targets of mine. Again, I think this has to do with me being the new guy and not really knowing draft tendencies. I made a poor assumption that those upside players would go a little later because owners would be looking to maximize their potential keeper values. Bad on me.

I seem to have a lot of indians and Blue Jays :dunno: . Not a bad thing, just an observation. Jason Kipnis could end up being a lost cause but the value felt right. Michael Brantley (fingers crossed) looks to be trending in the right direction.

I really like my offensive lineup. My pitching staff... ehh... not as much. I have a lot of high strikeout guys but also some guys with injury concerns, control concerns and guys on mediocre teams which will limit their wins and add to their losses.

All in all I had a blast in the draft. So again, thanks to everyone for letting me join and thanks to all the great guys sending out reminders when I was up and being very cool in trade negotiations. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to a great season

So, sorry if this comes off as lame but I usually like to evaluate/give a little perspective on my drafts when I do them. First of all, aside from the Geek homers league, this is by far the most serious and competitive fantasy baseball league I have been a part of in quite some time (i usually just do a random ESPN league or two) so thanks for having me!

I definitely got a little lucky with the nice keeper talent pool left by the abandoned teams as well as drawing the 1st pick. After looking at all the viable keeper options, I really wanted that 1st pick. Granted, my first two keepers are donzo after this season but i'm a play for the moment, worry about the future later type of fantasy player.

I got lucky that someone took Kershaw before me in round 1. Kershaw is a great, great pick but I had my heart set on a list of 6 hitters, so to be able to snag the final one was awesome.

I also got extremely lucky with the first trade I made. I knew I was giving up too much for a homer player in Archer when there were really good options like DeGrom and Strasburg on the board but it actually was a blessing in disguise. Giving up my 5th round pick kept me from drafting Ian Desmond (100% lock as my 5.7 pick).

.... as you can see, lots of luck.

I think I took a more veteran approach than most of you which is probably due to this format being new to me (4 keepers and round associations). I tried to make a conscious effort to draft some younger upside guys (Bedrosian, Daniel Norris, Cesar Hernandez) but was completely unprepared for where some of the younger, high upside guys were going to go. Dansby Swanson for example. Keon Broxton. There were many more but those two jump out because they were targets of mine. Again, I think this has to do with me being the new guy and not really knowing draft tendencies. I made a poor assumption that those upside players would go a little later because owners would be looking to maximize their potential keeper values. Bad on me.

I seem to have a lot of indians and Blue Jays :dunno: . Not a bad thing, just an observation. Jason Kipnis could end up being a lost cause but the value felt right. Michael Brantley (fingers crossed) looks to be trending in the right direction.

I really like my offensive lineup. My pitching staff... ehh... not as much. I have a lot of high strikeout guys but also some guys with injury concerns, control concerns and guys on mediocre teams which will limit their wins and add to their losses.

All in all I had a blast in the draft. So again, thanks to everyone for letting me join and thanks to all the great guys sending out reminders when I was up and being very cool in trade negotiations. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to a great season

welcome aboard and yea, even knowing preferences this group will continuously keep you on your toes.

First off, thanks to you and Tucker for joining up this season! You definitely fell into a great batch of keepers to get your team's started. I look up after the 1st round (1st round!!) and I see WW with an IF of Bryant, Arenado, Segura and Machado. Three consensus top 10 players before we even GET to pick 10. Holy crap... :shocking: Tough team to beat...

As for my squad, went for a mix of old and young. I look up and down my lineup and feel pretty good about it. BA/OBP are likely to be a weekly challenge, though. Like my IF a lot and am hoping Anderson finds a regular spot in my lineup. Losing JD Martinez for an extended period will lay a major hurt on my OF.

The SPs are going to make me or break me. I have Harvey as an injury risk, Nola as a high upside maybe and Felix as a possible has-been. I need at least one to be good to stay competitive. If 2 show up, I'm in good shape. If all 3 play above expectations, watch out.. :doublethumbsup:

Good luck to all!

I would also like to show my gratitude to you all for allowing me in this league. Over the past few years, I have helped my dad (JMU88) with his team and given him analysis on players that were unknown to him. I used to play with my friends but our league was terrible and no one was active. I am much happier in a league where I know everyone is active and has a high understanding of current baseball ideals and trends. While this league may be much more competitive than my last, I look forward to the challenge all of you present me with in my endeavor to construct a decent ball club.

I would also like to show my gratitude to you all for allowing me in this league. Over the past few years, I have helped my dad (JMU88) with his team and given him analysis on players that were unknown to him. I used to play with my friends but our league was terrible and no one was active. I am much happier in a league where I know everyone is active and has a high understanding of current baseball ideals and trends. While this league may be much more competitive than my last, I look forward to the challenge all of you present me with in my endeavor to construct a decent ball club.

Good luck this season! The first hill to climb is to beat your Dad. He's been a playoff team every season. The rest of us have all had our moments as well. Except me, who has never won this dang league since its' inception. :mad: Luckily, I play in a couple of other leagues where I've had better luck. At some point, I'll break through here as well, like my Red Sox did in 2004 or like the Cubs last year. Yeah... I know I will. I'm completely confident. I... AM... A... WINNER!!!... :wall: :cry: lol

You are all just playing for second place as torn has the title locked up...

:)

You are all just playing for second place as torn has the title locked up...

:)

Ugh - I had this coming, though... LOL... The curse of the posty is upon me.

Good to have some youngblood in this old folks league, NOW GO TO BED!!!!

kidding of coarse...

hopefully im the 2nd youngest :unsure: (30)

I look up after the 1st round (1st round!!) and I see WW with an IF of Bryant, Arenado, Segura and Machado. Three consensus top 10 players before we even GET to pick 10. Holy crap... :shocking: Tough team to beat...

:thumbsup: and Bryant may be headlining my outfield ;)

Great job, everyone! 13 days to complete the draft - not bad at all! Special thanks to those who helped with texting others and entering proxies. My thanks to posty as well for his help with the draft spreadsheet and with periodic board updates (I didn't do them all, so it must have been you!).

I have entered all rosters into the Yahoo league. Please check them for accuracy and let me know if I made any mistakes. (Remember to look at tomorrow to see your populated roster.)

Good luck to all!

Outstanding job on the draft everyone! And a hearty welcome to WW and Tucker. I have a feeling that we have a good group here, ...should be fun. Sorry for fizzling out at the tail end of the draft. I had that other noon Wednesday Yahoo ProLeague 12-team draft--I'm will soon set up a thread for everybody to post their OTHER LEAGUE rosters--"How did I do?" Also, ...so much cerebral dedication to the two drafts, ...I got REAL behind on my work obligations.

For those new to the league, ...and perhaps some old bags here, ...a bit about me: I might be the oldest bag of the bunch--57 years old, ...but I think one of us (Ted?) might have a couple of years on me.

I'm remarried (4 years of absolute bliss now). Patty and I have a couple of grown boys in college, ...and a 13-year old daughter still in the nest. We live in Las Cruces, NM. I am self-employed, ...working out of my 20-year old boy's vacated bedroom, ...now an office. Mostly, ...I consult with defense lawyers who understand very little about forensic biology/DNA. Thus far, I've dealt with cases out of 27 different states, ...80% of my current cases are out of NM, Texas, Arizona, Colorado. Patty is a nurse/case manager at a local hospital.

And now, ...to the draft:

I've been a Cub fan since '84, ...so last year was sweet, ...AND, ...I won my 2nd Championship here :first: (after a LONG drought that included most of the years between 2000 or so, and 2013). So, it was EXCELLENT to get Rizzo back (drafted him in the 29th round in 2011).

It was crazy, ...trading up to get two picks in 5th round--only to see Ian Desmond get plunked and knocked out for most or all of April, with a broken hand. I hope I didn't over-compensate with too many quality OF's after that. If so, ...I'm open to trade offers when Ian comes back and starts launching tons of bombs out of Coors Field.

I usually avoid early SP picks, ...especially with K. Hendricks and Carlos M. as keepers, ...but something told me Strasburg will finally settle down, stay healthy, ...and deliver. Like WhiteWonder, you might notice I have a lot of arms who bring the heat--but are a bit erratic. But most interesting, ...after drafting Gausman and Velasquez as my 4th and 5th starters, ...I held off from SPs through rounds 13, 14, (then 3 keeper rounds), then 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, and round 23. Man, :shocking: I don't even want to go back and review all of the SP talent I passed up! THAT, ...might sink my ship in 2017. :thumbsdown: I'd better be right about Lynn, Gsellman, or Musgrove.

My Saves/Holds crew worries me, ...but that is pretty common. My team was GREAT last year in the Holds category, ...but I pretty much punted the saves as the season moved along.

Biggest mid-late round hopefuls--Devon Travis and Jake Lamb.

Potential reaches/disappointments: Jose Abreu and Marcus Semien

I could have given the latter award to Raisel Iglesias, ...for falling in the shower :doublethumbsup: and banging up his hip/elbow, but I'm going to excuse that for now, and hope for an epic comeback from the numbskull :music_guitarred:

Good luck everybody!

I won my 2nd Championship here :first: (after a LONG drought that included most of the years between 2000 or so, and 2013).

Lucky bastard...

Now that I've gloated for a bit, ...let me tell you my horror story.

I entered two Yahoo! Pro50 NFL 12-team leagues in 2016. In League 1, I lead all 12 teams in scoring. In League 2, ...again, I lead all 12 teams in scoring. My League 1 team actually easily outscored my League 2 team, ...but get this, ...the 1 team took a hard luck loss Week 13, finished 7-6, ...in 5th place and out, ...out, ...OUT of the playoffs.

So, ...all I had left was the League 2 team ...which finished Week 13 in 2nd place. That team beat the #3 seed in the 1st round, ...so I advanced to the Championship round. Coming into the final, Monday night game, my opponent was ahead 88.12 points to 84.76 points, ...a margin of 3.36 points. I had Matt Prater ready to go against the Cowboys, ....AND MY OPPONENT WAS OUT OF PLAYERS.

I knew that if Detroit zipped down the field, ...and had to settle for a Prater field goal of 40 yards or more, ...that's 4 points, ...right there, ...GAME OVER, ...and a Championship. The Lions ZIPPED down the field on their first possession, ...TD, ...1 point. :thumbsup:

With 7:40 to go in the 2nd Quarter, ....37:40 left to go in the game, ...Prater hit his THIRD extra point, ...and I was down by ONLY 0.36 POINTS!! :banana: Any Prater score would bring the crown home, ...right?

The wheels started coming off of the Lion offense. Mid 4th quarter, Prater missed an easy mid-range field goal. Detroit never scored again. I took 2nd place, ...and made a few lousy bucks. :mad: No championship.

The next week, ...when the Lions played Seattle in the Wild Card round, Prater had two attempts, ...51 yarder, ...GOOD! His 2nd attempt was from 53 yards, ...also GOOD! :clap: By the way, ...the dude holds the NFL record for longest FG ever, ...64 yards.

I hate kickers!

Oh, ...I forgot to provide Prater's 16 games of Fantasy points: 8, 8, 12, 8, 6, 7, 9, 8, 15, 9, 12, 18, 10, 7, ...and then, ...drum roll please, ...when it counted most, ...Week 14, ....3 points.

That same weekend I needed about 10 points from Dan Bailey, I figured a couple of 40 yarders and some extra points I was set and would win the title...

Six extra points later...

Kickers .... They are the catchers of football. If they were eliminated from active rosters, I wouldn't shed a tear. That being said, I've had a kicker kill me a few times (and save me once) over the years.

Gave my mini-assessment earlier, but a little about me.

I am 53 years old and live about 15 miles north of Boston. Lived in MA since birth and almost all of my family and friends are still within driving distance as well. It's a great place to live in general, but especially as a sports fan over the past 17 years! My wife and I will be married for 25 years this October - quite a milestone. We have an 11 year old daughter (yep, had a kid in my 40's). She's a keeper - Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do and a member of the local swim team (she's not into team sports for some reason). I have NEVER won this damn league and have been here since its' inception. This desire to finally win was the primary motivator for keeping this alive when Posty opted to "retire".

There's been (and still is) a great group of folks who have passed through this league over the years. We tend to get quiet post draft, but the competition is always there! Makes for a challenging, fun and low stress league that I enjoy coming back to over the years.

Good luck to all ! ...except on the weeks you play me... then I lay curses upon you to place splinters in your bat handles and put blisters upon the fingers of your pitchers. --- place evil emoji face here if they had one - lol ---

no. i have the mother of all fantasy football curse stories. I play in upwards of 10 leagues but the one i care the most about, my "home" league just completed its 11th season. I FINALLY won the title by 1 point on a week 16 MNF fumble by Matt Stafford for my opponent (my brother). So I broke the curse.

the curse? in the previous 10 seasons I made 8 title games.......... and won none of them. 12 team league not full of slouches. In 2015 I came in 3rd thanks to.... Matt Prater (guess hes just a fantasy a-hole). It was MNF or SNF of week 15 and I had Brandin Cooks and Matt Prater and was down by quite a bit. Cooks started going bonkers. Brees threw him a 1 yard slant at the goal line that would have won me the game but it was jarred out. I figured game over. Then the Lions field the onside kick, break a long run and wind up bringing Prater out for a 39 yarder? There was no reason to even attempt it and risk it being blocked and returned but I guess it's the Lions...... He had not missed from that range all year. So naturally, WIDE RIGHT. I lost by 2 (the missed FG was -1) and naturally scored the most points by far in week 16.