Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR Mike Williams, Chargers

Los Angeles should have all parts of its aerial attack covered now, as Keenan Allen is a very good short-to-intermediate wideout when healthy, Tyrell Williams is a freakish run-after-catch player and Mike Williams is an Alshon Jeffery-like player in that he wins a lot at the catch point and in the red zone. With Antonio Gates nearing the end and Philip Rivers getting older, Mike Williams represents a move for the present and the immediate future. The fit is a good one, as the Clemson alum fits best in a vertical offense who needs to learn how to become a route-runner and diversify his route tree. Until that happens, LA will get a nice payoff from a player who may push for 8-10 touchdowns in his rookie season.

Puts a lot of cold water on Tyrell Williams. This didn't seem like a huge need to me. Rivers could have a nice set of weapons with both Williams, Allen (if he can stay healthy) and Henry. Those big WRs on the outside will be hard for other teams CBs to handle.

Puts a lot of cold water on Tyrell Williams. This didn't seem like a huge need to me. Rivers could have a nice set of weapons with both Williams, Allen (if he can stay healthy) and Henry. Those big WRs on the outside will be hard for other teams CBs to handle.

Agreed. Good for Rivers, bad for Tyrell. WR was hardly a need, so it makes me wonder how high of a grade they must have had on MW or if this is the Chargers (in a way) protecting themselves against another Keenan Allen injury.

Since Allen has played in nine games the last two seasons, I can understand and the pick.

And it's a good one.

I think he will eventually win out and be their top WR.

His rookie season though I could see him getting lost in the crowd at WR on the Chargers early on. Especially if Keenan Allen stays healthy for a while.

Im not a chargers fan but how can you not get some of that old-time charger fever. John Jefferson, Charlie Joiner, Wes Chandler, Kellen Winslow, could be the makings of putting fans in the seats.

• Like 1

Agreed. Good for Rivers, bad for Tyrell. WR was hardly a need, so it makes me wonder how high of a grade they must have had on MW or if this is the Chargers (in a way) protecting themselves against another Keenan Allen injury.

I have no doubt that this played a role in the decision.

They can still fill the need on the line. Lots of the top Linemen are still available in the draft going into day 2. It was a bit of a gamble, but it may pay off. They may still get the guy they want/need for the O line. (assuming they are looking to upgrade the line of course)

Pretty dumb pick with a few top LTs available still.

Unless Cleveland was willing to deal Joe Thomas, I don't think the Bolts were going to address the o-line in the first round of THIS draft.

Unless Cleveland was willing to deal Joe Thomas, I don't think the Bolts were going to address the o-line in the first round of THIS draft.

I didn't know what they were going to do. I just know they have oline issues and Williams doesn't appear special enough to be more impact full than a potential stalwart at LT.

I think the only tackle even in the ball park (in terms of value) was taken at #20 overall by Denver.

If the Chargers wanted to upgrade the line using a first round pick they needed to trade down. Given the strength of the draft in other areas It made sense to take someone else and gamble that they can get some O line help in round 2.

when you consider that round 1 is complete and only 2 O linemen were taken, I'm inclined to think the gamble paid off.

The only question I have is whether they take a guard or a Tackle.

If they want a guard, they can wait until round 3. If they want a tackle they should probably grab one here with the 7th pick of round 2.

I say Hunter Henry busts out more & produces more than both Williams. No fact to back it, just a fantasy hunch we all get that pans out sometimes.I know Rivers is happy with his options & it is possible he has his highest td total of his career this year. Here again it's just my opinion but both scenrios ARE possible.

the ended up getting the 2 out of the top 3 guards in the draft as well

Yeah, it's looking like a good draft for them.

There may be a year of growing pains, but the Line's future is bright.

Barkdale looked decent at RT last year. At LT Dunlap is ok, but somewhat injury prone.

Slauson has been solid at Centre, but probably is better suited to playing guard. If Tuerk(3rd round pick last year) is ready to play Center, there will be a shuffle.

Basically the youngsters are Tuerk © Lamp (G) and Feeney (G) It is possible one of these guys may be able to play tackle, but for now I am willing to say the middle of this line has solidified.

Even if one of these youngsters isnt ready to start, Slauson can play both guard and Center, so I'm sure it will be fine.

I think Williams has the best chance to be a starting fantasy WR day 1 and to maximize his potential. He's on a team with a good QB, what appears to be a good RB, complimentary receivers (and TE's), as well as the offense being pretty well run. He is my top "rookie" WR option in all formats... re-draft, keeper, and dynasty.

I think he does have a great chance to be a day one starter, but what about production.

Chargers have a lot of talent on that team, so I wonder how much production that he will be able to generate for him self.

The return of Allen whom they had sign to a good size contract and the emerging Ty Williams plus two TE's.

I think Williams has the best chance to be a starting fantasy WR day 1 and to maximize his potential. He's on a team with a good QB, what appears to be a good RB, complimentary receivers (and TE's), as well as the offense being pretty well run. He is my top "rookie" WR option in all formats... re-draft, keeper, and dynasty.

I agree. and if he's up to the task Rivers will find him.

of course this would be one of situations where you wanna keep an eye on the training camp reports, but at this point, I'd say the odds are good that he will be starting in week 1. If he's not starting week 1, I suspect it will happen shortly thereafter. The kid has too much talent and the Chargers dont have a ton of Talented guys at WR. My guess is he starts as the #3 guy early, and progresses to be the #2 guy by mid season.

Rivers has averaged close to 600 pass attemps per year the last few seasons.

Allen will get 120 of them assuming good health. Tight ends will see 100 or so, same with running backs.

That leaves the 200 some targets that ty williams and travis benjamin combined for last year, give or take.

The rookie williams certainly has enough talent to siphon off 50-70 targets but that's still only 3-5 targets per game.

With his size and boxout ability I see him being used similar to M Bryant in the red zone. He'll be a streaky scorer imo.

I project him for something like 50-775-6 if he secures a starting spot, and not much lower if he doesn't. Chargers will find a way to get him the ball.

• Like 1

You might be right that indeed looks like a sold stat line for him.

He truly as the talent to do so.

And like you said add in the fact If Allen can stay healthy.

I'm really interested to see the development of Ty Williams.

Rivers has averaged close to 600 pass attemps per year the last few seasons.

Allen will get 120 of them assuming good health. Tight ends will see 100 or so, same with running backs.

That leaves the 200 some targets that ty williams and travis benjamin combined for last year, give or take.

The rookie williams certainly has enough talent to siphon off 50-70 targets but that's still only 3-5 targets per game.

With his size and boxout ability I see him being used similar to M Bryant in the red zone. He'll be a streaky scorer imo.

I project him for something like 50-775-6 if he secures a starting spot, and not much lower if he doesn't. Chargers will find a way to get him the ball.

probably a reasonable estimate for him.

I dont think he will be a starter fantasy wise, but may be good for selected matchups as a weekly waiver wire pickup to cover a bye week. It's possible he could play well enough to be a key backup in deeper leagues.

I think Tyrell may be a little more dynamic, so I will assume Mike's numbers stay a little lower. Maybe at least to start. The Keenan Allen always being injured probably is his best path to targets

I think Tyrell may be a little more dynamic, so I will assume Mike's numbers stay a little lower. Maybe at least to start. The Keenan Allen always being injured probably is his best path to targets

yeah, if Keenan Allen gets hurt, I'd be inclined to roster him.

That's a different scenario entirely, but given Keenan Allen's recent injury history, it's probably a scenario you need to consider. (especially if you own Keenan Allen)