Sign in to follow this  
HTH

Top 5 War Films

WOW...What's up your cornhole today? :doublethumbsup:

Nothing, but when someone says, "When guys talk about movies..." bascially telling me that since I am chick, I don't get the "Top 5 WAR movies" thread, when in fact, I do.

I would have to put "Saving Private Ryan" somewhere near, if not at, the top. :overhead:

Nothing, but when someone says, "When guys talk about movies..." bascially telling me that since I am chick, I don't get the "Top 5 WAR movies" thread, when in fact, I do.

My bad...I didn't read his post thoroughly enough, I guess. :thumbsup:

What? No Star Wars? You name me another war film that had a "Death Star" in it. That's no moon mister, that's a freaking space station!

If we had a death star, we would rule. Darth Cheney would blow the living shiit outta Endor.

Not only did that movie have a death star in it, it had a super badass exploding death star. The only thing better than a DS is an EXPLODING DS. That explosion was even better than the one that Khan and his giant plastic chest did to almost kill THE ENTERPRISE. Sure, Spock was already dead Jim, but at least he saved the ship long enough to say "I have been and always shall be, your friend." I mean hell, if you didn't cry at that scene, you're just not human.

And let's not forget War of the Worlds. I mean, war of the countries is fine, but when you get two worlds going after each other? Fock me. That opens up a whole new genre of war movie - War of the worlds, Independence Day, Starship Troopers. - THOSE were some wars I tell ya. Fock some pansy Nazi fags, we're talking full-blown Alien Bad Asses. Could Hitler bite a guy in two? No. Not even a large infant.

So I think that pretty much settles it.

So why'd you list "Shindler's List" as a "war movie"? That's like saying "Gone With the Wind" or "Casablanca" are "war movies". :music_guitarred:

What? No Star Wars? You name me another war film that had a "Death Star" in it. That's no moon mister, that's a freaking space station!

If we had a death star, we would rule. Darth Cheney would blow the living shiit outta Endor.

Not only did that movie have a death star in it, it had a super badass exploding death star. The only thing better than a DS is an EXPLODING DS. That explosion was even better than the one that Khan and his giant plastic chest did to almost kill THE ENTERPRISE. Sure, Spock was already dead Jim, but at least he saved the ship long enough to say "I have been and always shall be, your friend." I mean hell, if you didn't cry at that scene, you're just not human.

And let's not forget War of the Worlds. I mean, war of the countries is fine, but when you get two worlds going after each other? Fock me. That opens up a whole new genre of war movie - War of the worlds, Independence Day, Starship Troopers. - THOSE were some wars I tell ya. Fock some pansy Nazi fags, we're talking full-blown Alien Bad Asses. Could Hitler bite a guy in two? No. Not even a large infant.

So I think that pretty much settles it.

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Speaking of great actors check out the stars in A Bridge Too Far that I mentioned earlier

Sean Connery

Michael Caine

Robert Redford

Gene Hackman

Anthony Hopkins

James Caan

Elliott Gould

and more

It's on Amazon prime. I know it's about 3 hours long, but it's worth it. It's not too often a movie gets made about the Allies losing an operation. Like NZ points out, incredible cast. Hard to believe they got them all. Check it out if you have the time.

Midway

Platoon

Braveheart

Casualties of War

Fort Apache

Band of Brothers isn't a movie, but it would prolly be #1 if it were.

Mr. Roberts

Saving Private Ryan

Battle of the Bulge

Patton

A Bridge Too Far

Glory

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

Kelly's Heroes

The Great Escape

The Longest Day

Guadalcanal Diary

Saving Private Ryan is IMO, the unquestioned #1 - in a category all alone.

The D-Day scene was the most jaw dropping war sequence ever made and nothing I have seen even comes close.

May not be worthy of a "best ever" list but I enjoyed Dunkirk.

And yeah, Band of Brothers is my all time favorite war series but doesn't qualify for this list either.

Little foreshadowing of the next decade

Too bad this movie isn't better known,great (based on a true story) movie and a great cast.Steve McQueen is :thumbsup:

What was the movie, came out around 2011 if I'm right, about the guy who wouldn't carry a gun, but was a medic and kept carrying guys over a cliff and going back? I think Clint Eastwood had something to do with that. And remember. But what's amazing is they actually had to edit out some of the heroics because people wouldn't believe it. It was a great book I know that.

What was the movie, came out around 2011 if I'm right, about the guy who wouldn't carry a gun, but was a medic and kept carrying guys over a cliff and going back? I think Clint Eastwood had something to do with that. And remember. But what's amazing is they actually had to edit out some of the heroics because people wouldn't believe it. It was a great book I know that.

Hacksaw Ridge and that came out in 2016. I know its been a long 3 years for me too. 😶

I'm gonna have to throw a nomination to the great escape. Not exactly war in the shooting/battle sense, but a focking classic.

Did they escape from the moon?

Saving Private Ryan is IMO, the unquestioned #1 - in a category all alone.

The D-Day scene was the most jaw dropping war sequence ever made and nothing I have seen even comes close.

I have never seen it. :dunno:

It's hard for me to believe Saving Private Ryan is off of so many lists. Are you leaving it off because it's too obvious? Or did you genuinely not think that highly of it?