Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Mmmmm...beer's Low Carb Trial

I haven't had a beer since 3/27/18

• Like 1

Week 4: 244.8 --> 242.2

2.6 lb loss

Total Loss: -14.2 lbs

This week I traveled on tuesday and wednesday, hoteling it up. Got a good workout in 1 freakin day. Got sick.. headcold sinus thing that kicked my ass the rest of the week. Just now getting over it. I'm actually really happy with the weight loss this week. Weighing myself I fluxuated between 242 and 243 every morning.

I'm pretty happy with 14.2 lbs in a one month timeframe for sure. I don't feel like I've starved myself at all, though life has been pretty brutal on my optimistic workout goals.

Feeling better.. this week I'll try better to get after it, though my wife and kids are still sick so I maybe Mr. Mom quite a bit.

Going to keep with my same eating.. I think a good uptick in my workouts will keep my weight shedding going consistantly. Two weeks to go on my initial 6 week self challenge.

• Like 1

Week 4: 244.8 --> 242.2

2.6 lb loss

This week I traveled on tuesday and wednesday, hoteling it up. Got a good workout in 1 freakin day. Got sick.. headcold sinus thing that kicked my ass the rest of the week. Just now getting over it. I'm actually really happy with the weight loss this week. Weighing myself I fluxuated between 242 and 243 every morning.

I'm pretty happy with 14.2 lbs in a one month timeframe for sure. I don't feel like I've starved myself at all, though life has been pretty brutal on my optimistic workout goals.

Feeling better.. this week I'll try better to get after it, though my wife and kids are still sick so I maybe Mr. Mom quite a bit.

Going to keep with my same eating.. I think a good uptick in my workouts will keep my weight shedding going consistantly. Two weeks to go on my initial 6 week self challenge.

Let's see how much your head shrunk.

I haven't had a beer since 3/27/18

Should edit. I had 4 beers over the weekend

So hows it going so far? Feeling better at all?

Feeling fine... I feel out of shape since I couldn't really lift much in the 1st 5 weeks after my wrist surgery. I don't feel energetic like I'm supposed to... though I am feeling a shitton of pressure at work in the last 4 months. Lots of anxiety... meh.

It's all good though... Would love to keep dropping 2-3 lbs a week for the next 2 anyway. I really just want to see if I can make my goal weight 225-230 before the end of August, while maintaining a ton of muscle if I can.

Feeling fine... I feel out of shape since I couldn't really lift much in the 1st 5 weeks after my wrist surgery. I don't feel energetic like I'm supposed to... though I am feeling a shitton of pressure at work in the last 4 months. Lots of anxiety... meh.

It's all good though... Would love to keep dropping 2-3 lbs a week for the next 2 anyway. I really just want to see if I can make my goal weight 225-230 before the end of August, while maintaining a ton of muscle if I can.

My problem is I love food too much. Its my Achilles heel. If I could lose about 15 pounds Ill be back right. Need to get back to 165-170 and Ill feel a lot better. But dang the south has delicious food everywhere making it difficult

You lost 14lbs in a month.......

That's over 4lbs a week, which in reality is a VERY aggressive rate.

Yes, some weeks are better than others, but that's a very promising rate of weight loss.

For the record, I'm on my 2nd week of Keto and I'm down 6lbs in 1.5 weeks.

I don't drink any beer now, and it's only Vodka with sugar free water "packets".

I need to incorporate lifting into the program.

• Like 1

Intermitent fasting worked for me. Had hit a plateau, girl I'm focking mentioned it, of course I've read about it, thought wtf why not. Dropped 2 pounds in one week and belly got a little flatter :) .

Apparently, according to this chick anyway, you don't have to be so hardcore on the low carb when you do the fasting. Not sure on that, I stuck to my guns. Lots of protein, very low carb, 5 days a week in the gym, and only ate between 8 am and 6 pm. Going to continue until I see my 6 pack again. Not really sure what happens once I start eating after 6 pm again?

It's really all about the diet. I've tried to outwork what I eat before. Ran 20-25 miles a week and lifted 5-6 hours a week, and ate whatever I wanted to. I didn't get fat but my gut definitely grew. Then I got a stress fracture in my shin, my back stiffened up, and had a serious hip pointer so I said FOCK running lol.

Got to watch what I eat. Sucks but is what it is. If you hit a plateau, I recommend trying the intermittent fasting.

• Like 1

Week 5: 242.2 --> 240.6

1.6 lb loss

So I had plateaued and stayed the same, up until Saturday. Was able to workout and lift 3x.. felt good.. wrist is finally able nto handle a moderate weight but still not pushing it too hard.

This is my last week on my personal "6 week challenge". I'm very happy with my resulta @5 weeks so far.. 15.8 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. I'm sitting on a plane waiting to fly to Toronto for the week, so it will not be as easy to maintain my correct eating habits but I will do what I have to to keep it clean. Even if I don't lose anything this week I'm super cool with almost 16 lbs in 6 weeks.

Thanks for reading brothas. We'll see how she goes!

Can you post pics of your poop?

just curious.

Actually.. I didn't talk about it much.. but there isn't a lot of poop. Once every couple days. Not constipated. Just not producing much.

Actually.. I didn't talk about it much.. but there isn't a lot of poop. Once every couple days. Not constipated. Just not producing much.

Fewer than 3 BM/week = constipated.

Every other day = 3?

And fewer than 3 means 2 times or less per week, assuming we are using whole numbers. I think you are good. :thumbsup:

This happened to me when I started watching my diet - went from 2x per day to one good one every other day.

This happened to me when I started watching my diet - went from 2x per day to one good one every other day.

Thats odd, because healthier diets - not this ketogenic nonsense, tend to be high in fiber, which promotes frequent BM.

Are you "no" carb (<30) or "low" carb (<100)?

I just made up those numbers but they are close and you know what I mean.

I am carrying about 20 lb around my gut and 5 lb around my neck/jawline that I need to drop with the quickness now that summer time is here.

It is interesting that most "doctors" hate the keto diet.

Kind of like "dentists" hate anyone who does not come in every 6 months.

scam artists.

It is interesting that most "doctors" hate the keto diet.

Kind of like "dentists" hate anyone who does not come in every 6 months.

###### scam artists.

I don’t hate it, but think it is unsustainable and trades short term weight loss for long term health.

Agree that 6 month dental visits have dubious value.

Are you "no" carb (<30) or "low" carb (<100)?

I just made up those numbers but they are close and you know what I mean.

I am carrying about 20 lb around my gut and 5 lb around my neck/jawline that I need to drop with the quickness now that summer time is here.

First two weeks I did <20 total carbs. Now I keep it 20-30 net carbs.

You don't count fiber in the carb count. Doc keeps harping on that... I take in more fiber now than when I was eating high carbs. But of course Doc won't acknowledge that as it doesn't fit his dialog.

Examples:

Per 100g

Keto Recommended

Asparagus:

Carbohydrate 3.9g

Dietary fiber 2.1g

Spinach:

Carbohydrate 3.63g

Dietary Fiber 2.2g

Vs. Non-Keto "healthy" Foods

Brown Rice:

Total Carbohydrate 23g

Dietary fiber 1.8g

100% Whole Wheat Bread:

Carbohydrate 12.91g

Dietary Fiber 1.9g

Thats odd, because healthier diets - not this ketogenic nonsense, tend to be high in fiber, which promotes frequent BM.

Dunno. I chalk it up to just eating less.

You don't count fiber in the carb count. Doc keeps harping on that... I take in more fiber now than when I was eating high carbs. But of course Doc won't acknowledge that as it doesn't fit his dialog.

Examples:

Per 100g

Keto Recommended

Asparagus:

Carbohydrate 3.9g

Dietary fiber 2.1g

Spinach:

Carbohydrate 3.63g

Dietary Fiber 2.2g

Brown Rice:

Total Carbohydrate 23g

Dietary fiber 1.8g

100% Whole Wheat Bread:

Carbohydrate 12.91g

Dietary Fiber 1.9g

:thumbsup:

The good doc needs to be ignored on this one, considering his ignorance on the subject.

Smart guy, very knowledgeable, just not on this topic.

Examples:

Per 100g

Keto Recommended

Asparagus:

Carbohydrate 3.9g

Dietary fiber 2.1g

Spinach:

Carbohydrate 3.63g

Dietary Fiber 2.2g

Brown Rice:

Total Carbohydrate 23g

Dietary fiber 1.8g

100% Whole Wheat Bread:

Carbohydrate 12.91g

Dietary Fiber 1.9g

Like most Americans, your diet is probably lacking in fiber, and was before you went keto as well. Pointing out a few low fiber carbohydrates doesnt change this. Do you eat at least 30g (some say 38g) a day?

Compare the fiber content of a plant based diet to a ketogenic one.

Like most Americans, your diet is probably lacking in fiber, and was before you went keto as well. Pointing out a few low fiber carbohydrates doesnt change this. Do you eat at least 30g (some say 38g) a day?

Compare the fiber content of a plant based diet to a ketogenic one.

Plant based diet?... get serious. Gross... vegetarians are silly.

Oh and yes.. 30g at least.. looking back total carbs is more 30-60 average a day the last 3+ weeks.

Is this going to be like one of them artista 147 page threads?

Dear diary, I had a cracker today...

Oh and yes.. 30g at least.. looking back total carbs is more 30-60 average a day the last 3+ weeks.

Lol

I've been in Toronto all week for work. I haven't weighed myself, but I'm not super confident in my last week. Worked 12 hour days... 3 hour time change/jet lag... massive head cold with bad hacking up green sh!t all day. Bah.. was able to lift once.. ate pretty decent though.

We'll see I guess.

My docs got antibiotics waiting for me at home... thats what it took for my wife to kick this sh!t.

I didn't say vegetarian...just not meat-based. Good for you if you're getting 30g of fiber though.

I didn't say vegetarian...just not meat-based. Good for you if you're getting 30g of fiber though.

:unsure:

Week 6: 240.6 --> 238.4

-2.2 lb loss

Total 6-Week Challenge Loss: -18.0 lbs

Okay.. real talk folks.. today is the last day of my personal keto 6-week challange.. overall I didn't get as much lifting in as i wanted.. carpal tunnel surgery... travel.. sickness.. etc.. but...

Went from 256 --> 238 this morning.. so rougly 18 lbs in 6 weeks.

I took before and after pics to gauge my progress and looking at them don't feel I lost too much muscle...

This week sucked as I was on the road and sickern sh!t... I'm on antibiotics now for a wicked head/chest cold had me hacking green for 5 days. It kicked my butt this week and I'm a mess... haha.

But.. still managed to eat correctly and lost 2.2 lbs. Only able to lift 1x...

All in all I have to say I'm very pleased with my results. :) I lost a significant amount of weight in a relatively short amount of time, and after the initial bloat loss, it was a nice steady thing.. just a pound or two a week.

I really don't see myself going back to overloading carbs... and feel I can keep maintaining a steady weight loss until I get down to my goal of 225 ish.

Once there... I'll up my carbs until I maintain.. consistently paying attention to how my body feels.. how my lifting goes... muscle mass etc.

Anyway.. sorry if this thread annoyed anyone other then Doc which I sort of enjoyed.. haha.. thanks for taking the journey with me.

I'll update this now and again to let ya'll know it's going.

Laters! :wave:

• Like 1

I went on vacation and fvcked it all up. Reset again on Monday.

Good thread MBeer

• Like 1

Good progress, great to see it worked for you. That will prob be motivation to keep going.

• Like 1

Thank you. I guess he missed nutrition class at MIT.

Remarkably I never took a nutrition class at MIT. I am however good at the English which by your post they clearly didn't even offer at Michigan or... where was your undergrad? Somewhere in Georgia if I recall? :dunno:

I occasionally get trolled about the MIT thing, usually by low-confidence engineers who feel the need to argue that their credentials are as good. Whatever. :cheers:

Hrrmm.. sure it's a bit of propaganda, but I watched, "The Magic Pill" on Netflix.

I really enjoyed it. Pretty interesting. You guys who dig documentaries.. seriously check it out.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

So still at it... but have plateaued this week. Nothing lost so far. Nothing gained though either.

That being said... a pretty cool thing. About twice a year I get blood tests for my pre-diabetes. These tests measure estimated average glucose level for the ladt 3 months I think.

Below are the results of my last 6 tests. This current one from yesterday.. shows a pretty decent drop in my blood sugar levels.

It may not mean much to alot of you but I am pretty happy with these results!

Weather it's the weight loss, or the low glycemic index of my foodni take, I'll definately take it!

Est Ave Glucose. mg/dL

137, 134, 134, 137, 134, 126

Hemoglobin A1C

6.4, 6.3, 6.3, 6.4, 6.3, 6.0

• Like 1