Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

NFL says Clay Matthews’ hit was perfect example of roughing the passer

I knew some games would get decided on whether or not the ref feels like throwing a flag for this. Probably a handful of hits exactly like that or worse during the game that do not get called. But when game is on the line the refs decide now is the time. A lot of games will be determined by who gets a call at the end to set them up.

I wouldnt even tish the passer at the end of the game. Throw everyone in zone. Pass rusher will be obsolete in a few years.

Nothing wrong with that tackle what so ever, if the NFL thinks that is a roughing problem, I have no idea what sport this now is.....

There's ANOTHER Clay Mattews in the NFL (plus a Bruce along the way)? I did not know this. My gosh the NFL talent runs deep in that family.

There's ANOTHER Clay Mattews in the NFL (plus a Bruce along the way)? I did not know this. My gosh the NFL talent runs deep in that family.

Clay's little brother Casey played a few years with the Eagles, not sure if he's still in the league.

I can't imagine trying to play defense with today's rules. While I understand the need for player safety, the nature of the game will sometimes leave players in a defenseless position. Defenders used to salivate at the opportunity to lay someone out when that happened. Now, they have to pull up short and make sure they don't land on top of the guy.

Two hand tag?

How did y'all handle the offensive and defensive line in backyard football as kids? We always had the 3 Mississippi rule. You had to count out loud 1 Mississippi - 2 Mississsippi - 3 Mississippi before you could rush the QB.

I think the NFL should do this. The line is way to much contact.

Two hand tag?

How did y'all handle the offensive and defensive line in backyard football as kids? We always had the 3 Mississippi rule. You had to count out loud 1 Mississippi - 2 Mississsippi - 3 Mississippi before you could rush the QB.

I think the NFL should do this. The line is way to much contact.

Someday, if we all join hands together, we can dream of a time when football will eliminate contact altogether and just play the game using two hand touch.

I can't imagine trying to play defense with today's rules. While I understand the need for player safety, the nature of the game will sometimes leave players in a defenseless position. Defenders used to salivate at the opportunity to lay someone out when that happened. Now, they have to pull up short and make sure they don't land on top of the guy.

I'm shocked they haven't change the rules so that the defense only gets 9 guys now.

• Like 1

Wow. Ridiculous. Assumed he fell on him or something but there is just NOTHING there. If that's roughing they need to just put them in a red jersey and be done with it.

Go at head....penalty

Go at knees....penalty

Go at middle...penalty

Whats left?

Hit em in the d1ck!!!

• Like 1

Go at head....penalty

Go at knees....penalty

Go at middle...penalty

Whats left?

Hit em in the d1ck!!!

Spit my beer out at that one.

Utter bullshit.

How about we make a rule where the QB cannot advance the ball by running since they can't be tackled anymore? That way we can do away with the pass rush altogether and just double up on the receivers to stop the passing game.

Should make for some real barn burners. :sleep:

In a similar thread, I've already proposed that they simply eliminate the rush entirely. Quarterback can't Advance the ball beyond the line of scrimmage. Give a certain amount of seconds to pass the ball. If they don't do so, then it's a timed sack. Sort of like a TKO.

At least level the Playing field a bit. This way, teams can stop Drafting pass-rushers and focus on the secondary.

In a similar thread, I've already proposed that they simply eliminate the rush entirely. Quarterback can't Advance the ball beyond the line of scrimmage. Give a certain amount of seconds to pass the ball. If they don't do so, then it's a timed sack. Sort of like a TKO.

At least level of Plainfield a bit. This way, teams can stop Drafting pass-rushers and focus on the secondary.

Well if they're going to make textbook tackles of the QB illegal that is really the only fair solution.

CM needs to keep calling out the NFL every time he makes a perfect tackle on the QB and they call it illegal. Just make them look stupid over and over again, as we do with Sho Retard.

CM needs to keep calling out the NFL every time he makes a perfect tackle on the QB and they call it illegal. Just make them look stupid over and over again, as we do with Sho Retard.

True...you all make yourselves look stupid all the time.

All this can be traced back to Tom Brady hurting his wittul leg a few years back and hte NFL swooping in to treat him like the baby he is, extending it out to all QB's

All this can be traced back to Tom Brady hurting his wittul leg a few years back and hte NFL swooping in to treat him like the baby he is, extending it out to all QB's

This is more of a result of the Vikings hit on Rodgers last year that broke his collarbone

This is more of a result of the Vikings hit on Rodgers last year that broke his collarbone

I am sure it contributed, but as I recall in the year Brady hurt his 'gina, someone else got dinged, and the following year they took away certain kinds of hits, the they took away other kinds of hits, they have essentially removed the ability to even influence the QB play it seems.

I look at Bree's running TD's so easily and I think that we will see a surge in QB fnatasy points via touchdowns as coaches realize what they are being gifted, and a dilution of the RB position in particular.

At least level the Playing field a bit. This way, teams can stop Drafting pass-rushers and focus on the secondary.

Ah, but if you tried to make a rule that the QB cant advance the ball past the line of scrimmage, you would get blasted as a racist.

You know its true.

NFL is really skating the line of unwatchable.

• Like 1

You think thats bad? Miami dolphins DE tore his ACL after trying to avoid landing on the QB to avoid a roughing the passer penalty

http://dailysnark.com/dolphins-de-william-hayes-tore-his-acl-trying-to-not-land-on-the-qb-during-sack/

Saw that. just a derivative of you can't play scared you can't play not to get hurt because it guarantees that you will get hurt.

Like I said, if this is what they're going for? Just eliminate the pass rush entirely.