Sign in to follow this  
edjr

James Comey kept memos from phone calls with Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/politics/james-comey-trump-flynn-russia-investigation.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

WASHINGTON — President Trump asked the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, to shut down the federal investigation into Mr. Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, in an Oval Office meeting in February, according to a memo Mr. Comey wrote shortly after the meeting.
“I hope you can let this go,” the president told Mr. Comey, according to the memo.
The documentation of Mr. Trump’s request is the clearest evidence that the president has tried to directly influence the Justice Department and F.B.I. investigation into links between Mr. Trump’s associates and Russia. Late Tuesday, Representative Jason Chaffetz, the Republican chairman of the House Oversight Committee, demanded that the F.B.I. turn over all “memoranda, notes, summaries and recordings” of discussions between Mr. Trump and Mr. Comey.
Such documents, Mr. Chaffetz wrote, would “raise questions as to whether the president attempted to influence or impede” the F.B.I.
Mr. Comey wrote the memo detailing his conversation with the president immediately after the meeting, which took place the day after Mr. Flynn resigned, according to two people who read the memo. It was part of a paper trail Mr. Comey created documenting what he perceived as the president’s improper efforts to influence a continuing investigation. An F.B.I. agent’s contemporaneous notes are widely held up in court as credible evidence of conversations.
Mr. Comey shared the existence of the memo with senior F.B.I. officials and close associates. The New York Times has not viewed a copy of the memo, which is unclassified, but one of Mr. Comey’s associates read parts of it to a Times reporter.
“I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go,” Mr. Trump told Mr. Comey, according to the memo. “He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go.”
Mr. Trump told Mr. Comey that Mr. Flynn had done nothing wrong, according to the memo.
Mr. Comey did not say anything to Mr. Trump about curtailing the investigation, replying only: “I agree he is a good guy.”
In a statement, the White House denied the version of events in the memo.
“While the president has repeatedly expressed his view that General Flynn is a decent man who served and protected our country, the president has never asked Mr. Comey or anyone else to end any investigation, including any investigation involving General Flynn,” the statement said. “The president has the utmost respect for our law enforcement agencies, and all investigations. This is not a truthful or accurate portrayal of the conversation between the president and Mr. Comey.”
Mr. Chaffetz’s letter, sent to the acting F.B.I. director, Andrew G. McCabe, set a May 24 deadline for the internal documents to be delivered to the House committee. The congressman, a Republican, was criticized in recent months for showing little of the appetite he demonstrated in pursuing Hillary Clinton to pursue investigations into Mr. Trump’s associates.
In testimony to the Senate last week, Mr. McCabe said, “There has been no effort to impede our investigation to date.” Mr. McCabe was referring to the broad investigation into possible collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign. The investigation into Mr. Flynn is separate.
A spokesman for the F.B.I. declined to comment.
Mr. Comey created similar memos — including some that are classified — about every phone call and meeting he had with the president, the two people said. It is unclear whether Mr. Comey told the Justice Department about the conversation or his memos.
Mr. Trump fired Mr. Comey last week. Trump administration officials have provided multiple, conflicting accounts of the reasoning behind Mr. Comey’s dismissal. Mr. Trump said in a television interview that one of the reasons was because he believed “this Russia thing” was a “made-up story.”
The Feb. 14 meeting took place just a day after Mr. Flynn was forced out of his job after it was revealed he had lied to Vice President Mike Pence about the nature of phone conversations he had had with the Russian ambassador to the United States.
Despite the conversation between Mr. Trump and Mr. Comey, the investigation of Mr. Flynn has proceeded. In Virginia, a federal grand jury has issued subpoenas in recent weeks for records related to Mr. Flynn. Part of the Flynn investigation is centered on his financial links to Russia and Turkey.
Mr. Comey had been in the Oval Office that day with other senior national security officials for a terrorism threat briefing. When the meeting ended, Mr. Trump told those present — including Mr. Pence and Attorney General Jeff Sessions — to leave the room except for Mr. Comey.
Alone in the Oval Office, Mr. Trump began the discussion by condemning leaks to the news media, saying that Mr. Comey should consider putting reporters in prison for publishing classified information, according to one of Mr. Comey’s associates.
Mr. Trump then turned the discussion to Mr. Flynn.
After writing up a memo that outlined the meeting, Mr. Comey shared it with senior F.B.I. officials. Mr. Comey and his aides perceived Mr. Trump’s comments as an effort to influence the investigation, but they decided that they would try to keep the conversation secret — even from the F.B.I. agents working on the Russia investigation — so the details of the conversation would not affect the investigation.

RUT ROH REXIE!

Burn baby burn!

How are Presidents and Presidential candidates this stupid in this day and age?

Slick Willy meets with Lynch in the Tarmac, now Trump tries to strong arm Comey?

It's so surprise that this goes on, but how do they not take better care to conceal their back alley deals?

Sure he did

the digby defense. solid

Do the Trumpeteers realize that the walls are closing in rather fast here?

Don't confuse watching CNN where the sky is ALWAYS falling.....for walls closing in.

Ok let's see the memo.

Don't get me wrong...trump is starting to lose me because we're not seeing or haven't seen the tax reform, or the healthcare. I'm happy with defense and the border security. But I need to see TR and HC.

This other stuff is sideshow nonsense that just appeases the people that didn't like him anyway. So don't confuse you guys chasing tails on this stuff with walls closing in.

Actually...you don't want him impeached. If Pence gets in there....left is definitely not winning in 2018. You want trump right where he is.

That way leftys can obstruct, block and find circuit courts to obstruct everything he does...like good Americans you are.

Trump needs to hurry up and start doing Trump voter stuff rather than always doing Jeb!/Paul Ryan voter stuff because he may well get impeached over this and if he's only been attempting to carry out Jeb!'s agenda until that happens, I'll be pissed.

Is this anything like the memo where lynch promised the clinton investigation will only go so far ? :dunno:

Did he keep memos prior to Jan 20?

Do the Trumpeteers realize that the walls are closing in rather fast here?

Still waiting for the first one to actually give a fock. Trump wasn't kidding when he said he could shoot a man on Fifth Avenue and not lose any supporters. That is one moronic group of idiots.

He's not gonna make it. We have too much media with too much power. Combine that with his arrogance and ignorance of how things work and him being unwilling to change assures it. But it won't be because he's a criminal. He's Just a rich dik who won't listen.

He's not gonna make it. We have too much media with too much power. Combine that with his arrogance and ignorance of how things work and him being unwilling to change assures it. But it won't be because he's a criminal. He's Just a rich dik who won't listen.

Yeah, it's the media. :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, it's the media. :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

I didn't say anything about DT? No wonder everyone here hates you amd mocks and ridicules you at every turn

I didn't say anything about DT? No wonder everyone here hates you amd mocks and ridicules you at every turn

You started with a tangent about too much media with too much power. Do you honestly think there was any time in this country's history, that a President would survive falsely accusing his predecessor of wire tapping him, giving confidential information to an enemy, and threatening an FBI director's job if he doesn't end an investigation of his staff? I mean, seriously?? To blame the media is more than laughable. :clap: :lol:

Even Trump's most reliable water carrying assboy is having buyer's remorse.

Things aren't going so good for the Don. :(

You started with a tangent about too much media with too much power. Do you honestly think there was any time in this country's history, that a President would survive falsely accusing his predecessor of wire tapping him, giving confidential information to an enemy, and threatening an FBI director's job if he doesn't end an investigation of his staff? I mean, seriously?? To blame the media is more than laughable. :clap: :lol:

The Tweeter in Chief was crying about it today, whining during a commencement speech to the Coast Guard Academy. :doh:

“No politician in history has been treated worse or more unfairly,” Trump said of himself during his address, which ended with him imploring Coast Guard cadets to “enjoy your life — good luck.”

Forget that he's POTUS

is there a bigger manbaby in the USA than DT?

Yes, he would survive all of that, because none of it is criminal. He can't survive not being able to govern.

Forget that he's POTUS

I have honestly never witnessed an grown man, either on TV or in real life, who is more childish than him. Or lies as much as him. It's frightening.

Mebbe the Reps should have taken some cues from the DNC and just offed him. :dunno:

Yes, he would survive all of that, because none of it is criminal. He can't survive not being able to govern.

Like I said.... :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's even funnier is, the GOP proceeded with impeachment hearings on Bill Clinton for getting a blowjob!! :doh:

I have honestly never witnessed an grown man, either on TV or in real life, who is more childish than him. Or lies as much as him. It's frightening.

in his defense, he's like Lebron James in a way.

never been told no. Always has yes men around. has no clue how the real world is. doesn't know the true value of money.

it's not even his fault he;s like this. He knows nothing else.

DT is like the kid you fight and beat up and have in a choke hold and you say "are you done" then he says yes, you let him up, he starts running and calls you names

What's even funnier is, the GOP proceeded with impeachment hearings on Bill Clinton for getting a blowjob!! :doh:

Jesus you make my head hurt. He was impeached for lying under oath......not the blowjob.

Read a book you dorito cromagnon ape.

:)

• Like 2

in his defense, he's like Lebron James in a way.

never been told no. Always has yes men around. has no clue how the real world is. doesn't know the true value of money.

it's not even his fault he;s like this. He knows nothing else.

DT is like the kid you fight and beat up and have in a choke hold and you say "are you done" then he says yes, you let him up, he starts running and calls you names

I could hang out and have a beer with Lebron James. Seems like a whiner, but an overall decent guy. I couldn't spend five minutes with an ass hole like Trump.

Don't confuse watching CNN where the sky is ALWAYS falling.....for walls closing in.

Ok let's see the memo.

Don't get me wrong...trump is starting to lose me because we're not seeing or haven't seen the tax reform, or the healthcare. I'm happy with defense and the border security. But I need to see TR and HC.

This other stuff is sideshow nonsense that just appeases the people that didn't like him anyway. So don't confuse you guys chasing tails on this stuff with walls closing in.

Actually...you don't want him impeached. If Pence gets in there....left is definitely not winning in 2018. You want trump right where he is.

That way leftys can obstruct, block and find circuit courts to obstruct everything he does...like good Americans you are.

For the good of Democrats, Trump should stay. For the good of this country, he probably should be replaced by Pence, even though I think Pence is a snake

Jesus you make my head hurt. He was impeached for lying under oath......not the blowjob.

Hah

Forget that he's POTUS

Leave Britney Spears alone! :mad: :cry: I mean it! :mad: :cry:

Semantics

what married person in their right mind, under other or not, admits to that? :doh:

Don't forget all the crying and actual impeachment petition set up by the Tea Baggers - over a birth certificate.

About a blowjob. Don't be focking dense.

Every word out of Trump's mouth is a lie. If he's ever put under oath about what he said to Comey, he'd lie then too. It's what he does. Every single time.

The fact that Bill Clinton was even investigated for the blowjob is hilarious in light of what this ass clown has done in his first four months. :doh:

This is the party of self responsibility after all... Drumpflakes are too much man. Just pure comedy.

It's not gonna happen, Pence is Trump's insurance, nobody wants an intelligent true conservative running the Country.

Wait, he threatened Comeys job? Did that just come out? HS if he did.

It's not gonna happen, Pence is Trump's insurance, nobody wants an intelligent true conservative running the Country.

Other than d@mn near the entire Republican establishemnt that have hated Trump the entire time. Scratch the surface and Trump really has no friends or allies.