Sign in to follow this  
SenatorRock

What is the farthest you have ever run? (Walmsley sets course record at Western States 100

After getting lost at mile 93 and going from first to 20th in 2016, then DNF'n at mile 78 in 2017, ultra runner Jim Walmsley finally achieved his goal of finishing #1 and setting a course record at the Western States 100 this weekend.

Walmsley started in Squaw Valley (near Tahoe) and finished 100 miles away in Auburn. He completed it in just 14:30:04, a full 15+ minutes faster than the previous record.

Here is him crossing the finish line:

Not even out of breath, cool as a cucumber, after 100 miles. :lol:

Do we have any runners here?

What is your longest distance run? (include walking/hiking)

Would you ever/have you ever considered training for a long distance race?

I was a casual jogger for a few years, did a handful of half marathons. Longest distance was 26.2 in an unofficial fun run.

I would like to do a 30k and 50k at some point. Trails only.

It has been a pretty lazy last few years though, farthest run has been around 8 miles and farthest hike around 20 miles.

Ran a marathon...well, much of it. Last 10 were a jog a bit, stop to stretch, jog, shuffle, walk, stretch.

Had several training runs over 20 miles that went really well.

Thats almost 6 years ago.

Several halfs as well.

Now I dont run more than 5 at a time. Knees and ankles dont take as well to the long runs.

Have done several hikes up to 15 miles with my son for Boy Scouts and have a 20 mile hike planned to fulfil his requirement.

In the Army they time us on two mile runs.

We had a few five mile runs and they were painfully awful because we ran them in formation and the pace was so insanely slow, we'd spent just as much effort going up and down as we did going forward. Whatever time we finished in, it should have been twice or even three times quicker.

Ran a marathon...well, much of it. Last 10 were a jog a bit, stop to stretch, jog, shuffle, walk, stretch.

Had several training runs over 20 miles that went really well.

Thats almost 6 years ago.

Several halfs as well.

Now I dont run more than 5 at a time. Knees and ankles dont take as well to the long runs.

Have done several hikes up to 15 miles with my son for Boy Scouts and have a 20 mile hike planned to fulfil his requirement.

Is Philmont on the horizon or you got a few years? I have never been but hear it is a must do.

I have a trip planned in that area this summer, they were hit with a pretty bad fire a few weeks ago though and some of the national forests are closed indefinitely so it may not happen.

About 7.5 miles... High School and college. Nothing more than five after that. Good times for them though.

I honestly dont know. I was so tired from running my mind just shut off. I just remember it was for hours. That was back in pararescue training before I got injured and had to get reclassed. Never ran so dam much in my life and havent ever run that much since

I honestly dont know. I was so tired from running my mind just shut off. I just remember it was for hours. That was back in pararescue training before I got injured and had to get reclassed. Never ran so dam much in my life and havent ever run that much since

Ive casually run 10, raced 8 and hiked 20+ miles in a day. No interest in running any more than that, as I think it is rough on your joints and not enjoyable.

Is Philmont on the horizon or you got a few years? I have never been but hear it is a must do.

I have a trip planned in that area this summer, they were hit with a pretty bad fire a few weeks ago though and some of the national forests are closed indefinitely so it may not happen.

For a few in his troop probably. He likes scouts and all...but isnt all in as some are (scouting is their main activity) Too busy with drum line and soccer.

I went on a B double E double R U N . :cheers:

Probably most in one time was about thirty miles. I dont know, I run at least one marathon a year. They arent as bad as people think

I've done an ironman so I guess my longest run was 26.2 miles.

Yes I've thought about doing an ultra but I just don't like running that much.

Probably most in one time was about thirty miles. I dont know, I run at least one marathon a year. They arent as bad as people think

Training run or an ultra in km?

What is your favorite marathon you have done?

If someone wanted to run a first marathon you got any recs?

I've done an ironman so I guess my longest run was 26.2 miles.

Yes I've thought about doing an ultra but I just don't like running that much.

I am pretty sure I would die trying to swim 2.x miles in open water. Congrats on the Ironman.

I am pretty sure I would die trying to swim 2.x miles in open water. Congrats on the Ironman.

With everything it just takes practice. Plus the wet suit helps you float.