• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Gepetto

Gepetto

FF Geek

• Members
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:09 PM

I'm going to the Chiefs 1st home game, week 3 Sept. 23rd.  The 49ers are coming to town.  Can't wait, my first NFL game ever, and Garoppolo is my QB in my only league, 2QB league.  I had Marquise Goodwin at the end of last year and will try to draft him again and I'm going to try and draft Mahomes too.

#42 seafoam1

seafoam1

FF Geek

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:13 PM

I'm going to the Chiefs 1st home game, week 3 Sept. 23rd.  The 49ers are coming to town.  Can't wait, my first NFL game ever, and Garoppolo is my QB in my only league, 2QB league.  I had Marquise Goodwin at the end of last year and will try to draft him again and I'm going to try and draft Mahomes too.

Go early. Tailgate. And have fun dude. Loudest fans and stadium in the NFL. It will be rocking for sure.

#43 Gepetto

Gepetto

FF Geek

• Members
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:17 PM

Go early. Tailgate. And have fun dude. Loudest fans and stadium in the NFL. It will be rocking for sure.

Yea we are going early and tailgating, probably 8:30 AM for a 12:00 pm game.  Really looking forward to it.

#44 TimmySmith

TimmySmith

FF Geek

• Members
  • 15,698 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:59 AM

People are overrating pass attempts in Reid's offense. It's a true West coast offense with mostly short passes. 3500 - 25 is the historical good season. The average is about 3300 - 20. There is no reason to believe Mahomes can duplicate Smiths success off the bat.

“We’ve fulfilled far more promises than we’ve promised,” the president said. “I call it promises plus.”

#45 R8RMick

R8RMick

FF Geek

• Members
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:25 AM

You should know better. KC fans like to point out this game, yet no tape or film yet existed for DC's to game plan on. Once DC's start getting tape on him, seeing game film action and tendencies, they'll start hammering him with different looks. He'll turn the ball over, and he'll make some plays. Even Elway and Manning struggled as rookies, though he technically isn't. There's much to be said for carrying a clipboard for a year. 

I like what they did, trading up for him. I follow plenty of KC bloggers on twitter, they think Reid can build a different version of the offense custom for Mahomes. The key is how much Reid allows him to freelance outside the confines of the offense. The Smith version was built around timing and angles, showcasing the playmakers rather than the QB. Based on the absolute of field position and limiting turnovers. Mahomes' is most lethal when the play breaks down and he's free-lancing outside the pocket. Coupled with KC's weapons this could be bad news for teams. But he'll also disrupt Reid's offensive flow if it isn't a high percentage play, or especially if he throws a pick. Fantasy-wise he'll make some plays, and make some turnovers. Someone mentioned the KC defense, which I agree will be worse. David Amerson is like throwing gas on a fire. Can't believe they signed him. 

"The floggings will continue until morale improves..."

#46 TBayXXXVII

TBayXXXVII

FF Geek

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:43 AM

People are overrating pass attempts in Reid's offense. It's a true West coast offense with mostly short passes. 3500 - 25 is the historical good season. The average is about 3300 - 20. There is no reason to believe Mahomes can duplicate Smiths success off the bat.

I don't really know how accurate you are on this.  I mean, that is the case with Alex Smith, but not so sure that works across the board.  In a way, it kind of fits with McNabb, but he was a different case.  Reid used McNabb's running ability quite a bit instead of just always passing the ball, so he was still a top 10 fantasy QB.  As McNabb got older, he ran less and the passing numbers jumped.  In McNabb's last 6 seasons, his 16-game average was 4,000 yards and 26 TD's.

If you look historically at the results, guys who are actually good (and better), like Garcia, Hasselbeck, McNabb, Favre, Young, and Montana, they were high end fantasy QB's.  Guys who didn't produce, weren't good QB's, Flacco, Collins, and alike.  You'll find very few WCO QB's not produce good fantasy numbers if they're actually good QB's.  Heck, even Aaron Brooks was a top 10 fantasy QB for a handful of seasons in the WCO.

#47 TimmySmith

TimmySmith

FF Geek

• Members
  • 15,698 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:27 AM

I don't really know how accurate you are on this.  I mean, that is the case with Alex Smith, but not so sure that works across the board.  In a way, it kind of fits with McNabb, but he was a different case.  Reid used McNabb's running ability quite a bit instead of just always passing the ball, so he was still a top 10 fantasy QB.  As McNabb got older, he ran less and the passing numbers jumped.  In McNabb's last 6 seasons, his 16-game average was 4,000 yards and 26 TD's.

Tough to judge McNabb on speculation over 16 games.  He was certainly injured a lot and that had an affect on Reid's numbers.  However, people are expecting Mahomes to improve or at least equal numbers that it took Smith 5 years to get to or took McNabb 5 years to get to.  I stand by my statement that Reid brings QBs along slowly.  3300/3500 - 18/23 are logical expectations. That puts Mahomes in the 15-20 range of QBs.

“We’ve fulfilled far more promises than we’ve promised,” the president said. “I call it promises plus.”

#48 TBayXXXVII

TBayXXXVII

FF Geek

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:00 AM

Tough to judge McNabb on speculation over 16 games.  He was certainly injured a lot and that had an affect on Reid's numbers.  However, people are expecting Mahomes to improve or at least equal numbers that it took Smith 5 years to get to or took McNabb 5 years to get to.  I stand by my statement that Reid brings QBs along slowly.  3300/3500 - 18/23 are logical expectations. That puts Mahomes in the 15-20 range of QBs.

I'm just using Pro-football-reference.com's 16-game projection as a guide.  Yeah, he was injured a lot, but that was because of his running ability.  You're using McNabb's athleticism against him.  See, you say it "took McNabb 5 years to get to", that point.  But it didn't.  McNabb was using his legs because could, not because he had to.  When he couldn't, he used his arm, and that's when his passing numbers jumped.  So it's not like it took McNabb all that time to become a better passer.  Now, even if you want to stick to the line that it did take McNabb 5 years to get to that point, you'll have to remember that coming out of Syracuse, he wasn't the kind of "passer" that Mahomes is.  Mahomes passer with mobility, not a mobile passer.  Another thing to consider is that while McNabb did play some crappy receiving talent in his early years with the Eagles.  Mahomes is going to have a stud TE and good WR along with a great RB and RB depth.  McNabb didn't have that.

Now I'm certainly not going to say Mahomes is going to light it up, but I do thing he is more likely to meet and even exceed, your projected ceiling (15), than hit your projected floor (20).  I think 12-16 is very reasonable.

#49 TimmySmith

TimmySmith

FF Geek

• Members
  • 15,698 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

I think 12-16 is very reasonable.

Certainly possible, but if you give the nod to veteran passers in good situations he ends up closer to 20.  This site has Mahomes ahead of Big Ben, Cousins, Mariota, Goff, Smith, Dalton, Tannehill, Carr, which is just nuts IMO.

#50 TBayXXXVII

TBayXXXVII

FF Geek

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:18 AM

Certainly possible, but if you give the nod to veteran passers in good situations he ends up closer to 20.  This site has Mahomes ahead of Big Ben, Cousins, Mariota, Goff, Smith, Dalton, Tannehill, Carr, which is just nuts IMO.

I would take him over Mariota, Smith, Dalton, Tannehill, and Carr.  Not over Ben, Cousins, or Goff... but I may change my mind on Goff/Mahomes.

#51 tanatastic

tanatastic

FF Geek

• Members
  • 21,516 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:00 PM

Do people just forget how good Goff was last season? 3800 28 7 100.5 and they got Cooks. He’s miles ahead of everyone on that list and I’d take him over Ryan and Stafford too.

#52 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,879 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:05 PM

Do people just forget how good Goff was last season? 3800 28 7 100.5 and they got Cooks. Hes miles ahead of everyone on that list and Id take him over Ryan and Stafford too.

Shhhhh

#53 TBayXXXVII

TBayXXXVII

FF Geek

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:48 AM

Do people just forget how good Goff was last season? 3800 28 7 100.5 and they got Cooks. He’s miles ahead of everyone on that list and I’d take him over Ryan and Stafford too.

Last year Goff finished as QB12, he's going off at QB15.  Two of the guys going before him that didn't finish ahead of him didn't play a full season (Luck and Garoppolo).  Luck I understand, Garoppolo is... ok I guess.  A riskier pick, but I get it.  Another player that's going ahead of him in drafts that finished behind him last year is Matt Ryan.  I think that's reasonable.  Now, if your real beef is simply with people willing to take Mahomes over Goff, then I'd simply say that's just a matter of personal opinion.  Like I said, Goff was a QB2 last year and is probably a low-1 / high-2 this year.  Mahomes probably rates around the same... but probably more like a high-2.  Really, there isn't much of a gap there.  Last year, the QB10 had 275 points and QB15 had 245 points.  Sure, that's 2 points per week, but not everybody plays 16 games either.  Keenum, QB15 last year, played in 14.5 games.  Had he played all 16, he might have made it to QB10... and he would have been a FA pickup.  

Goff finished ahead of Ryan last year and you think that means that Goff can get better, but Ryan can't... even though Ryan was QB2 just the season before.  You're also surprised that Stafford is going ahead of Goff even though last year... and almost every other year of Stafford's career he's been a top 10 QB.

Interesting.  Any real analysis behind you're reasoning other than, "they got Cooks"?  Brandin Cooks' typical season is 76/1130/8 (with Drew Brees and Tom Brady).  Last year, Watkins had 39/593/8.  So basically, the only difference to be expected, from an upgrade standpoint is about 550 yards.  You think that's only going to be "added value" and that it's not going to come at the expense of someone else?  In most leagues, that's only 22 fantasy points... essentially only 1.75 points per game.  I'm not so sure that Goff can get the same out of Cooks that Brady and Brees did.  I'm less confident that he can get more.

#54 Maulers1973

Maulers1973

FF Geek

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:55 PM

Please, Baby Jesus Please let people be down on Jimmy G!!!!!!!    

I'm rolling Jimmy G and Goff as the b/u this year.  Coaching matters kids!!    

Carr is going to be QB28 this year!!   lol   

As for Mahomes, I get the enthusiasm.  I really do, but I think he's at least a year away.  He's going to throw a lot of picks this year.   

#55 cmh6476

cmh6476

FF Geek

• Members
  • 46,038 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:43 PM

Reid has said the Chiefs first team offense will play the entire first half against the Falcons on Friday.

#Royals

#56 jrokh

jrokh

FF Geek

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:03 PM

I am having reservations about Kelce at his price with Mahomes as his QB. Second TE off the board, seemed like Alex Smith was perfect for him. Overthinking?

#57 stonewall

stonewall

FF Geek

• Members
  • 5,745 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

tough call on Mahomes....bottomline. 

Love his weapons, but something just gives me pause.....prolly Reid.

Would probably wait and draft Bortles  over him as my upside QB2.

Yes, that's Blake Bortles......and Mayfield too.

I feel my football knowledge is vastly superior to my opponents. I also am just in general, a smarter person. These two things should allow me a huge advantage. But I've yet to be truly dominant.

#58 tanatastic

tanatastic

FF Geek

• Members
  • 21,516 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:06 PM

I am having reservations about Kelce at his price with Mahomes as his QB. Second TE off the board, seemed like Alex Smith was perfect for him. Overthinking?

Not at all overthinking, it’s prob the right amount of thinking. He’s good enough to be a top 3 te without Smith but that bar might not be high enough to warrant the price. I prefer Evan Ingram later, but one td in preseason and that value will be gone.

#59 TimmySmith

TimmySmith

FF Geek

• Members
  • 15,698 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

Don't understand it either.  McVay is a friggin offensive genius and Goff gets it.  The only reason Goff's numbers aren't bigger is because the offense is too efficient.  Same in San Fran. Shanahan and JG are a match.

#60 cmh6476

cmh6476

FF Geek

• Members
  • 46,038 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:05 AM

Reid has said the Chiefs first team offense will play the entire first half against the Falcons on Friday.

I'm using a PTO day tomorrow, going to grill burgers and brats and you are all welcome to come hang out; bring a side dish if you like :cheers:

#Royals

#61 cmh6476

cmh6476

FF Geek

• Members
  • 46,038 posts

Posted Today, 06:26 PM

Mahomes just hit hill 70 yards in the air :pointstosky:

#Royals

#62 cmh6476

cmh6476

FF Geek