• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 markcc13

markcc13

FF Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:54 AM

I have no idea what to do this year. The past few weeks I have been preparing for my league's auction draft. This year seems far more difficult than in previous years. We only have a couple of players who are unquestionable work horses like Elliott and Gurley. Afterwards every player has question marks and some are going for crazy values like Barkley (0 NFL snaps), D. Johnson (Coming off an Injury Year), etc. This year their is huge parity. I am in a 10 team league and there is plenty of depth at WR and QB this year. 

I'm totally lost with what to do? I'm leaning towards splurging on RB but I hate how injury prone they are. What are other people thinking about doing this year?

#2 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,887 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:40 AM

I thought this year was clearer than most as far as running backs. I would be in on one of the top guys for sure. If I didn't land one of them I would be going for tier 2 pretty hard.

My only experience with auction was one year, and everyone was inexperienced. I used that to my advantage and I honestly practiced my ass off on what to do.

The biggest piece of advice that I took away from my experience, figure out the largest difference in your rankings compared to consensus rankings. Those are the guys I targeted. It worked the one year I did it.

I wouldn't go into it thinking, welp, I'm going to spend all my dough on running backs, let's hope it works! Find those values. If you think the best running back is worth x amount of maximum dollars, then stay in the bidding until that amount. Eventually you will land one of them in bidding

#3 joneo

joneo

FF Geek

• Members
  • 12,809 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:33 AM

1.  Don't spend any big money on a QB. 

2. Bid up the top QBs 

Depending on how many roster spots you have, how many players start, and if it's a PPR... it's tough to give any other advice at this time. 

A thumbless Gollum, a wretched slave to NSFW links.

-phillybear

It is the most vile link he's ever posted. It makes tubgirl look like Mary ###### Poppins.

-Rusty Syringes

If joneo doesn't win, it'll be a slap in the face to turd slurpers everywhere.

--brinett9

If they held another election on November 9th, Trump would have lost the popular by 10 million and the electoral in a landslide. So many people didn't bother voting because the media was telling them Clinton was a lock by 10 points. And Trump's approval rating dropped from 47% to 37% just in the weeks between the election and inauguration.  Unless he can get someone to reign him in, I doubt he'll survive the four years, let alone any chance at being reelected.

Quote (Sho Nuff January 28, 2017)

At some point you will get it thru your head that...
A. You don't speak for everyone and don't understand the word literally
B. I don't give a flying Fock what you think of me. I will post my opinions and back them up as I have.

If that kisses you off...Fock you, I don't care.
My life outside the board is fine and none of your damn business.
Worry about yourself. Take a break since you don't care and think nobody cares.

#4 Hawkeye21

Hawkeye21

FF Geek

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

1.  Don't spend any big money on a QB. 
2. Bid up the top QBs 

Depending on how many roster spots you have, how many players start, and if it's a PPR... it's tough to give any other advice at this time. 

Those two tips can contradict each other. Dont bid up any player youre not willing to have on your team. I do like to nominate QBs early though in hopes they go for more and they use up other teams money early.

#5 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,887 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:51 AM

Those two tips can contradict each other. Dont bid up any player youre not willing to have on your team. I do like to nominate QBs early though in hopes they go for more and they use up other teams money early.

I like to toss in throw away bids on players I am not all that interested in. Just to throw people off. Nowhere near where I think the player will go for.

#6 joneo

joneo

FF Geek

• Members
  • 12,809 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:52 AM

Sure, you have to be careful.  Another thing you can do is once half of the owners get their starting QB, you can toss out a name for a buck.  Some owners who have drafted a QB will then spend money on a second QB and bid it up. If they get it, they will be at a disadvantage for other positions.   All depends on how well you know the other owners and who they "have to have"

A thumbless Gollum, a wretched slave to NSFW links.

-phillybear

It is the most vile link he's ever posted. It makes tubgirl look like Mary ###### Poppins.

-Rusty Syringes

If joneo doesn't win, it'll be a slap in the face to turd slurpers everywhere.

--brinett9

If they held another election on November 9th, Trump would have lost the popular by 10 million and the electoral in a landslide. So many people didn't bother voting because the media was telling them Clinton was a lock by 10 points. And Trump's approval rating dropped from 47% to 37% just in the weeks between the election and inauguration.  Unless he can get someone to reign him in, I doubt he'll survive the four years, let alone any chance at being reelected.

Quote (Sho Nuff January 28, 2017)

At some point you will get it thru your head that...
A. You don't speak for everyone and don't understand the word literally
B. I don't give a flying Fock what you think of me. I will post my opinions and back them up as I have.

If that kisses you off...Fock you, I don't care.
My life outside the board is fine and none of your damn business.
Worry about yourself. Take a break since you don't care and think nobody cares.