Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Two Defense Strategy....

I have been mulling over the idea of actually drafting 2 defenses for the 1st time since 1999, when I began drafting. (please laugh and scoff at this time before continuing)

As you all know, a good or dismal defensive effort can make all the difference between a loss and a win each week. Two of my leagues have 15 man rosters and are pretty standard on Def. scoring I think. Basically:

Defense / Special Teams

Sacks:1 point. Interceptions:2 points. Fumbles Recovered:2 points. Safeties:2 points. Touchdowns:6 points. Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns:6 points. Points Allowed 0:12 points. 1-6:8 points. 7-13:6 points. 14-20:4 points. 21-27:2 points. 28-34:0 points. 35+:-2 points. Less Than 100 Total Yards Allowed:12 points. 100-199 Yards Allowed:6 points. 200-299 Yards Allowed:3 points. 300-399 Yards Allowed:0 points. 400-449 Yards Allowed:-1 point. 450-499 Yards Allowed:-2 points. 500+ Yards Allowed:-3 points.

I am toying with drafting SF and Cincy and playing matchups each week. These two teams were chosen because I expect them both to have good defensive years, their ADP's are doable, and because their schedules match up nicely. Here is what I would have:

Week 1 - Seattle (SF)

Week 2 - Baltimore (Cincy).....(SF has New Orleans)

Week 3 - KC (SF) or Carolina (Cincy)

Week 4 - Cleveland (Cincy)

Week 5 - TB (Cincy)

Week 6 - Oakland (SF).....(Cincy bye week)

Week 7 - Atl (Cincy) or Carolina (SF)

Week 8 - Denver (SF)

Week 9 - Pittsburg (Cincy).....(SF Bye week)

Week 10 - St. Louis (SF)

Week 11 - TB (SF) or Buffalo (Cincy)

Week 12 - Arizona(SF) or NYJ (Cincy)

Week 13 - GB (SF) or New Orleans (Cincy).....no good option

Week 14 - Seattle (SF)

Playoffs

Week 15 - Cleveland (Cincy)

Week 16 - St. Louis (SF)

I know that things can and do change each year offensively and defensively for each NFL team. However, these are 2 defenses on the rise. I am only "considering" this possibility at this time, so please resist the urge to rip me....but I would appreciate any constructive input.

I typically do not draft a defense until the last round or two, however by the time week 2 rolls around i usually have as many defenses as anyone else in the league, in leagues with 20-30 roster spots i have been known to carry 4-5 defenses at times. This strategy ensures that my defense is always an asset to my fantasy team.

I would draft the niners and play them each week. They are going to be a top 3 fantasy defense and I would rather free up my bench for rbs.

I'm not an advocate of the two D stradegy in 16 player team formats - In leagues with transaction limits, I prefer to draft a decent defense late in the draft that has a week 6 - 8 bye week. If they are not performing up to expectations I can dump them for a better one that has been dropped with even an earlier bye week. And I am always on the look-out for an emerging defense with a great late season schedule. The point is two-fold: to save my roster spots and to save my transaction moves.

Where transaction limits are not an issue, I prefer to scour the wire for good weekly match-ups and /or 'jelling' defenses with good late schedules. i do a lot of juggling of defenses in that case.

Only on teams with 20 player rosters am I an advocate of the two defense strategy suggested above. For those leagues, right now I'm eyeing SF/CIN as a good complimentary set of defenses (SF/SD is another one) and then picking up Miami for the play-offs.

It should go without saying that I SELDOM draft a Defense before the second to last round (Kicker is ALWAYS the last pick unless the league lets me get by with not drafting one at all and dropping a position player for a kicker prior to the 1st game).

I love carrying two D/ST and playing the matchups unless the scoring system really undervalues D/STs. People put too much weight into keeping two Ds on a roster. Big deal. Would you rather get 10 pts out of your D or have a 6th RB or WR wasting on your bench? You will need to have an "open spot" for a bye week TE, K and/or possibly a QB anyway.

In a 16-round draft, draft 2 QBs, 5 RBs, 5 WRs, & 1 TE (assuming you start something like 1QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1 flex, 1 TE, K, D) in the first 13 rounds. In rounds 14-16 get two Ds and a K. When you need a bye week fill-in for your TE or K, drop your second D. After this is done pick up the best available D to continue playing the matchups.

This is a fluid process...if you draft two Ds thinking you can just keep them all year and play matchups...good luck! Bye weeks can be planned for, but injuries and underperformers on your roster cannot be.

In a 16-round draft, draft 2 QBs, 5 RBs, 5 WRs, & 1 TE (assuming you start something like 1QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1 flex, 1 TE, K, D) in the first 13 rounds. In rounds 14-16 get two Ds and a K. When you need a bye week fill-in for your TE or K, drop your second D. After this is done pick up the best available D to continue playing the matchups.

I doubt that I'll ever convince you, but in a 16 round draft (16 roster spots), I prefer to draft ONE QB, ONE DEF, and no K (unless I have to draft one). Give me shots at as many high upside RBs and WRs as I can get! I'll cross the bye week bridges when I come to them. By then, at least one of my 'lottery ticket' late round extra position players will often have broken out for me, while your extra Qb and extra D will have just collected dust on your bench.

Now a 20-22 player roster is a different animal.

I don't draft 2 usually, but after the first week, I'll have a second D on my roster and play the hot hand going forward.

if you draft two Ds thinking you can just keep them all year and play matchups...good luck! Bye weeks can be planned for, but injuries and underperformers on your roster cannot be.

Actually, if I implement this strategy (2 Defenses) this season, planning on holding both D's all year and playing matchups each week as I described in my original post, I will purposely draft my one TE and K with a late bye week. Examples would be Celek (week 8) Davis (week 9), Gates (week 10) or Finely (week 10).....and Kickers Gould (week 8) Akers (week 8) Bironas (week 9) or Hartley (week 10).

This way, I don't even have to worry about that position (barring injury). By the time week 9 or 10 rolls around, you are almost guaranteed to have an expendable injured or bust player elsewhere to toss away for a bye week replacement TE or K.....if you even want to keep your original guys.

Unlike Madd (whos system obviously works for him and keeps him in the money), I do draft 2 QB's. Usually a top 6 or 7 QB with some value and upside (targeting Romo this draft) and a late tier guy who I feel is underrated like an Eli, Big Ben, or Palmer. This way, I am covered for injury or bye week......or have great trade bait if my QB2 does well early and I have needs elsewhere. I have won some difficult leagues using this strategy, but have before always just drafted 1 defense and then played the waiver almost weekly to stay in good defensive matchups. It would be nice to have my bases covered on defense, so I could focus my waiver picks on RB's and WR's instead of wasting my first waiver slot on a defense each week.

Great comments guys. Thanks.

Interesting that we both identified the exact same two teams for our D by committee. I did the exact same schedule match-up you did about a month ago. I'll be using the strategy in the all three of my leagues where I have rosters of 20 or more.

Interesting that we both identified the exact same two teams for our D by committee. I did the exact same schedule match-up you did about a month ago. I'll be using the strategy in the all three of my leagues where I have rosters of 20 or more.

Yes....those 2 teams jumped off the pages at me after comparing schedules.

I hope that none of my league-mates frequent this site. :unsure:

Every year in every league I just draft the Dallas Cowboys defense because they're my favorite team. They do well enough. I just can't stand looking at my ff teams and seeing any other team listed other than Dallas on my team rather than on someone else's team. In one league this year I did also take the Ravens D. because I thought it was good value late so I'll try to play matchups in that league and see how it goes.

Good thread. :thumbsup:

Unless your league has very deep rosters where you can afford to carry 2 defenses all year, I'd rather just play match ups off the waiver wire.

I usually draft a defense that i like in the last 2 rnds (this year it was sf.). Lately Ive also been drafting a def strictly to play week 1. This year it was AZ def who plays the rams in week 1. would it have been better to pick a lottery ticket? Probably, but i like it and was happy with the rest of my team and like to have sneaky plays for week 1. Ill prob drop AZ week 2 for a sleeper.

I like this idea, not saying I would do it but very well thought out.

Thank you for giving me something else to think about... :unsure:

I usually draft a defense that i like in the last 2 rnds (this year it was sf.). Lately Ive also been drafting a def strictly to play week 1. This year it was AZ def who plays the rams in week 1. would it have been better to pick a lottery ticket? Probably, but i like it and was happy with the rest of my team and like to have sneaky plays for week 1. Ill prob drop AZ week 2 for a sleeper.

You got SF in the last 2 rounds? They are probably a top 5 defense this year, and even are already ranked in that range by most sources. Unless you're entire league didn't draft a defense until the last 2 rounds, then they're idiots.

As Sal said, I wouldn't mind having just the SF defense this year. That said, I do like to carry two defenses sometimes, both to play the matchups and if I have two defenses from the beginning to give myself a better chance of one of them actually being good.