Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

What books have you read?

21 book Travis McGee series by McDonald Written '64 to early 80's Real Classics.. I went back and reread in order a few years ago. Way ahead of their time. Travis McGee is my favorite character in any series I have read.

Love me some Travis McGee. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts - This may be my favorite book of all time. "It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured."

I started reading this, probably made it a quarter of the way through actually, but it just never really took hold. Might have to give it another shot.

I think the last book I read cover to cover was either The Martian or 11/22/63. I don't seem to have the attention span for big novels anymore.

Ender's Game

Ender's Shadow

Shadow of the Hegemon

Shadow Puppets

Shadow of the Giant

Ender in Exile

Shadows in Flight

Speaker for the Dead

Xenocide

Children of the Mind

Did you lose a bet?

• Like 1

I'm reading Tiger Woods by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian.

If you have any interest in Tiger and his back story (unfiltered) you'll love this book.

I read...a lot.

Goodreads is an app that lets you track books youve read, want to read, books youd like, etc. really good app.

I just checked; Ive read 72 books since January 1st.

Playgirl doesn't count. :music_guitarred:

I used to read 100 books per year or more. Now I am lucky if I get through 10 and Im usually reading books of short stories or essays since theyre easier to pick up and out down.

Last summer I bought 4-5 horror novels and read them all on vacation. Most were the suck but The Troop by Craig Davidson was pretty disgusting / awesome and I recommend it to fans of Steven King.

Did you lose a bet?

I love me some science fiction. The whole series was good. Enders Game is still my favorite book

I'm reading Tiger Woods by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian.

If you have any interest in Tiger and his back story (unfiltered) you'll love this book.

The Big Miss is good too about Tiger.

I just finished his new Amos Decker release The Fallen. Another good read, I liked it better than the first three.

Thanks for the reminder. D/L it but have not started it.

Currently reading Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn

(Movie American Assassin)

Back in the day enjoyed Lawrence Sanders- Archy McNally series.

Love me some Travis McGee. :thumbsup:

Was the best. And he wrapped the series up really well before he died. The end of Silver Rain was great.

I love me some science fiction. The whole series was good. Enders Game is still my favorite book

Hrrmm.. I too love those genres... I could give you some recomendations

Has anyone read the Wheel of Time Series? People recommend it to me all the time. But it is 14 volumes and some say 15,000 pages so I have never taken that step.

Has anyone read the Wheel of Time Series? People recommend it to me all the time. But it is 14 volumes and some say 15,000 pages so I have never taken that step.

Yeah it was an epic journey.. but if you like fantasy it was really really good.

The author died before finishing ir.. was pissed.. but his wife had Brandon Sanderson finish it. It was pretty good...

Sh!t Bill... I think it took me 15 years to finish it cause he took so long with each book.. and they are massive each.

I read it. It took me twenty years to finish, because thats how long it took the authors to finish.

Its really good, but it could definitely use some heavy editing. Theres lots of superfluous stuff in there.

Hrrmm.. I too love those genres... I could give you some recomendations

I read the Posleen War because of you

What else ya got?

cracked, mad, cream, circus, tv guide

I like science fiction too, but Ender's Game is one book I have never gotten the love for.

Sarah palin:

"Ooh, all of them!"

😂

Swear to god, Tina Fey should send her royalty checks.😃

Oddly, as much as I read, Ive never read a Steven King book.

The biggest complaint I've heard about his writing is he's too detailed but personally I enjoy that.If you ever decide to read one I'd suggest The Stand but be forewarned it's over 1000 pages.My personal favorite is Salem's Lot but I'm also a vampire fan when it comes to horror fiction.

The biggest complaint I've heard about his writing is he's too detailed but personally I enjoy that.If you ever decide to read one I'd suggest The Stand but be forewarned it's over 1000 pages.My personal favorite is Salem's Lot but I'm also a vampire fan when it comes to horror fiction.

Stephen Kings characters are awesome. His Bangor Maine era stuff is way better before his move to castle rock. This is what I consider his two "periods". Castle rock started with delores clairborne i think. After that it was a bit shakey.

The stand is what got me into reading. Amazing book.

I read the Posleen War because of you

What else ya got?

Start the March upcountry series. Awesome stuff.

Count of Monte Crisco

The Stand

Sleepers

The Martian

Of those only Sleepers was made into a good movie

(Of those The Martian was a good movie if you didn't read the book).

Special mention to Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me. Both good reads and good novellas.

Shawshank and SBM were short stories...thats how good SK is...even his short storied are epic.

Just read the third book in The Way of Kings series. Looking for something new now. Might start The Reckoners.

Just read the third book in The Way of Kings series. Looking for something new now. Might start The Reckoners.

What did u think of oathbringer?

9 times out of 10, I complain when they make a movie out of a book and pad it for no reason---I'm looking at you Peter Jackson. Ender's game has 2 distinct sections(just for Ender), couldn't believe they didn't break that movie in half. Very disappointing.

Not much of a fiction guy. But 2 of the more memorable books I've read:

The Dark Side of Camelot

1000 Years for Revenge, International Terrorism and the FBI.

What did u think of oathbringer?

Best of the series so far. Less "slow" points used as setup.

I'm surprised one of the board tards here hasn't yet mentioned Atlas scrubbed.😃

One of the best novels ever written. At one time, it was my favorite book. I read it voraciously for a couple of weeks.

I burned through most of the rest of the Prey series this year and they were all worth listening to, a few of them were top notch for the mystery/detective genre. Storm Prey, Winter Prey, and Buried Prey were the standouts.

Also listened to a good chunk of the Virgil Flower series. Heat Lightning was the best of the series so far.

A new author I discovered was Michael McGarrity, he has a series similar to Longmire but based on a New Mexico LEO protagonist. The detective aspect is solid and the New Mexico history/culture is outstanding.

My recent book review list.

Beartown....don't bother.

Behind closed doors....3.5 middle fingers. Not bad. Your typical husband keeps the wife locked up in the house and she eventually kills him story.

The Next Person You Meet in Heaven

Pretty good. Mitdh albom is a favorite of mine. Wish his books were a little longer though. Nice follow up to 5 people you meet in heaven.

November Road

Really outstanding. Tale of a man on the run connected to the Kennedy assassination and a woman on the run to get away from her husband both chased by a hit man. Definitely worth a read.

• Like 1

Monster Hunters International series

Or

The Iron Druid series

• Like 1