Sign in to follow this  
shovelheadt

Here's why the Bengals suck

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/8/2/2339226/bengals-lead-the-nfl-with-over-41-million-under-the-salary-cap

I realize a lot of players don't want to play there, but money talks for the most part. With that kind of money available, they should have been able to offer blockbuster deals for the best available player at every position.

Joseph/Nnamdi

DeAngelo Williams

Dawan Landry/Eric Weddle/Donte Whitner

I could go on and on, but you get the point. Mike Brown is a cheap bastage and the single worst owner in the NFL.

It really pissed me off when the Bungles drafted Andy Dalton - hated to see our local qb go to them. :thumbsdown:

It really pissed me off when the Bungles drafted Andy Dalton - hated to see our local qb go to them. :thumbsdown:

That's actually the only thing they've done correctly this year. Couldn't have been happier with Dalton and Green with the first 2 picks.

Dalton will be Bengalized soon enough. Resistance is futile. He's prolly already wearing the same jockstrap Palmer did last year (not kidding here, the Bungals save a few bucks by recycling jockstraps and such.)

Soon enough, he'll offer up the familiar quote, "I'm just happy to be playing in the NFL, and in the city of Cincinnati. I look forward to working hard at providing the city the playoff team it deserves, and I thank the Brown family for that opportunity."

:cry:

So shovelhead, is this a good indication you're not loving the signings of Manny Lawson and Nate Clements? :lol:

Like any person who has loved something for most of their life, I'll always have a spot in my heart for the Bengals. But I decided to do something this offseason I promised to do after Cincy selected Andre Smith - find a new favorite team. I just couldn't stand Mike Brown anymore.

add to it that they could have easily got a 2nd rounder for Carson Palmer.

The NFL should put in a clause that reads something like: "If you don't win at least one playoff game in 20 years, your team is for sale to someone who isnt a focking idiot.."

So shovelhead, is this a good indication you're not loving the signings of Manny Lawson and Nate Clements? :lol:

Like any person who has loved something for most of their life, I'll always have a spot in my heart for the Bengals. But I decided to do something this offseason I promised to do after Cincy selected Andre Smith - find a new favorite team. I just couldn't stand Mike Brown anymore.

It's not that I mind the signings, it's all the other things everyone mentioned. Why punish your team by refusing to trade Carson Palmer, just to prove a point? You'll trade Corey Dillon, but not a stand up individual like Palmer? Brown can't even stay consistent with sucking. I was totally prepared to grab whatever team Palmer ended up on as my new fave. Was hoping for Seattle, Arizona or San Fran. It's just a shame for the fans. That stadium averaged 45k fans through the 90s when they were winning 2 to 4 games a year. That's outdoor in single digit temps.

The single most important point is that no free agent with options is ever going to Cincy. Players love to play for Andy Reid - he has a reputation for looking out for his players even as they are on the way out. Mike Brown is both stupid and stubborn...turns down a trade three years ago that would have gotten him two first rounders for Ochocinco, and now settles for a couple of worthless draft choices; and what he is doing to Palmer ought to be against the law.

It's not that I mind the signings, it's all the other things everyone mentioned. Why punish your team by refusing to trade Carson Palmer, just to prove a point? You'll trade Corey Dillon, but not a stand up individual like Palmer? Brown can't even stay consistent with sucking. I was totally prepared to grab whatever team Palmer ended up on as my new fave. Was hoping for Seattle, Arizona or San Fran. It's just a shame for the fans. That stadium averaged 45k fans through the 90s when they were winning 2 to 4 games a year. That's outdoor in single digit temps.

Hey shovel, you know I was kidding about the signing; those were actually two good ones as far as I'm concerned. But yeah, Brown isn't quite Donald Sterling, but you know Papa Brown (Paul) would not be proud of the way the Bengals have been run over the last 20 years. I remember when I became a fan in the late 80s, Cincinnati was actually something of a model franchise - with some colorful characters even then. But that was when Paul was still alive and could use his eye for talent and chemistry to build a fairly consistent winner and two-time Super Bowl runner-up.

Hey shovel, you know I was kidding about the signing; those were actually two good ones as far as I'm concerned. But yeah, Brown isn't quite Donald Sterling, but you know Papa Brown (Paul) would not be proud of the way the Bengals have been run over the last 20 years. I remember when I became a fan in the late 80s, Cincinnati was actually something of a model franchise - with some colorful characters even then. But that was when Paul was still alive and could use his eye for talent and chemistry to build a fairly consistent winner and two-time Super Bowl runner-up.

Oh I know, just stuck in the middle of a 20 year rant. I could have (and should have) easily converted over to the Colts 11 years ago when I moved over here to Indy, but just couldn't do it.

I thought that there was a salary cap floor that teams had to meet this year? My impression was that some teams like Tampa Bay, Cincinatti, and Carolina HAD to spend a ton of money to meet that floor. We've seen Carolina do that but Tampa and Cincinatti have not. What gives?

I thought that there was a salary cap floor that teams had to meet this year? My impression was that some teams like Tampa Bay, Cincinatti, and Carolina HAD to spend a ton of money to meet that floor. We've seen Carolina do that but Tampa and Cincinatti have not. What gives?

That does not go into effect until 2013 for individual teams apparently. That's why you see my Browns still being cheap asses and not signing anyone at all.

That does not go into effect until 2013 for individual teams apparently. That's why you see my Browns still being cheap asses and not signing anyone at all.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. :thumbsup:

Here is what the NFL should do. Adopt the premiere league system.

First, restart NFL Europe. But putting it in Europe was a dumb idea. Put the franchises in smaller US cities that love football but don't have an NFL team (Fresno, Vegas, Austin, Memphis, etc.)

Then, every year, the two lowers teams in the NFL get dropped to the minors, and the two best in the minors move up.

I have been watching the NFL for 25 years, and I'm tired of a handful of teams just being a perpetual vortex of suckage year after year. The Browns, Bengals, Lions etc. just piss me off. The always get high draft picks, and then some of your favorite college players get swallowed up in a black hole of suck.

There was an amazing article on ESPN specifically on the Bengals that just astounded me, apparently the Bengals are one of the most profitable teams in the NFL. Apparently they got the tax payers to fund the stadium (90% of cost on the tax payers) and the team gets all the revenue, they projected a return of some 90million a year profit from concessions and ticket sales alone nevermind tv money and merchandising rights.

It just blows my mind to hear stuff like this. I feel for the hardcore Bengals fans because it seems apparent they are a business and are not concerned with winning or losing but only turning a profit. This kind of attitude destroyed the Blackhawks franchise until the owner passed away and the son took over the franchise, the exact oppisite of what is happening with the Bengals. It really is a pity to see.

I have been watching the NFL for 25 years, and I'm tired of a handful of teams just being a perpetual vortex of suckage year after year. The Browns, Bengals, Lions etc. just piss me off. The always get high draft picks, and then some of your favorite college players get swallowed up in a black hole of suck.

Some teams manage to climb out of that. Heck the Lions are on the upswing right now. Buccaneers are looking good again after years of sucking. Historically you could point to the Patriots and the Bucanneers again. Sh1t even the Bengals themselves had a nice resurgence until Kimo von Oelhoffen wrecked Palmer's knee.

Sh1t even the Bengals themselves had a nice resurgence until Kimo von Oelhoffen wrecked Palmer's knee.

2 winning seasons in 20 years = even a blind squirrel will find an occasional nut.

There was an amazing article on ESPN specifically on the Bengals that just astounded me, apparently the Bengals are one of the most profitable teams in the NFL. Apparently they got the tax payers to fund the stadium (90% of cost on the tax payers) and the team gets all the revenue, they projected a return of some 90million a year profit from concessions and ticket sales alone nevermind tv money and merchandising rights.

It just blows my mind to hear stuff like this. I feel for the hardcore Bengals fans because it seems apparent they are a business and are not concerned with winning or losing but only turning a profit. This kind of attitude destroyed the Blackhawks franchise until the owner passed away and the son took over the franchise, the exact oppisite of what is happening with the Bengals. It really is a pity to see.

It's the infamous WSJ article.

The saddest thing is that the county is strapped with these stadium leases with no way out. And the same people that were on council back then that "saved" the Reds and Bengals fans from losing their teams by promoting these stupid ass stadiums, are the same ones that now cry foul. :dunno:

Mike Brown has the county by the nose and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it. At least the Reds are making an attempt, but the Bengals are just milking it.

Mike Brown can still eat a bag of d*cks, but at least they've signed some quality depth..starters in some cases.

Cedric Benson

Nate Clements

Bruce Gradkowski

Thomas Howard

Max Jean-Giles

Brandon Johnson

Manny Lawson

Brian Leonard

Donte Whitner

Scratch Donte Whitner, he changed his mind - after tweeting he was going to the Bengals - and signed with the 49ers

Scratch Donte Whitner, he changed his mind - after tweeting he was going to the Bengals - and signed with the 49ers

Donte prolly came in and read this thread and thought fock this, I'm going to SF!!