Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**2012 Baseball talk thread**

Matt Kemp to DL :wall:

hate when that happens on a focking Monday. Now have a huge hole in my fantasy lineup

:mad:

Matt Kemp to DL :wall:

hate when that happens on a focking Monday. Now have a huge hole in my fantasy lineup

:mad:

That is why one should never play in a weekly lineup format...

That is why one should never play in a weekly lineup format...

meh, daily is too much work; too easy for mom's basement types to get an edge :thumbsdown:

meh, daily is too much work; too easy for mom's basement types to get an edge :thumbsdown:

Agreed. I cannot imagine spending time every day on putting in a lineup. The weekly one is tough enough to pay attention. Yikes.

Agreed. I cannot imagine spending time every day on putting in a lineup. The weekly one is tough enough to pay attention. Yikes.

Just curious, how much time do you put into your fantasy football team each day during the season?

This is true. However, preseason football blows everyone out of the water. Nielsen titans such as CSI, 60 Minutes, reality shows - all take a back seat to the NFL preseason - to say it's just baseball isn't painting the total picture.

Baseball needs to evolve and they won't let it becasue it would mess up any "records" set -- well the records are already screwed up - whats the HR record for a season 73-70- or still 61* ? hell the 1 change they did make - going to a 4 playoff teams a league vs. 2 made things worse. Winning the pennant used to have meaning when it was 2 teams only and only the best 2 teams over the season got in.

Baseball was once the most watched and talked about sport in America but other sports evolved while baseball stayed stagnant - thus they are behind the NFL , NBA , maybe even behind Hockey - would be surprised if more people watched the Masters than any world series game.

Make the sport interesting -- a 20 second time limit to pitch after the pitcher gets it from the catcher / 10 seconds added if he throws to a runner at 1st -- would speed up the game and encourage more steal attempts to a degree. If you hit a foul ball with 2 strikes and it isn't the 9th inning youre out - again would speed up the game . If a batter steps out of the box their better be a good reason or auto out - meaning can't just step out becasue he doesn't feel right yet. Allow aluminum bats -- theres no real HR record anyway anymore. and damn let Clemens and Bonds in the damn HOF - with or without juicing they were both top 5-10 ever at their position. No intentional walks.

I grew up on Baseball and used to love it till the 90's strike - I have all the baseball card sets from 1979 - 1989 ( which are now basically worthless due to ebay :( ) After the strike ( still feel bad for Montreal ) people started taking notice of how boring baseball really was to watch and rating went downhill ever since to rock bottom where they are now. Hell I can't even tell you who won the last 5 WS's let alone who was in the playoffs. Last game I watched was game 7 of NY - Boston in the playoffs just see if they could come back from 0-3.

Weekly's rosters are for 8 player free espn leagues.hth

Baseball needs to evolve and they won't let it becasue it would mess up any "records" set -- well the records are already screwed up - whats the HR record for a season 73-70- or still 61* ? hell the 1 change they did make - going to a 4 playoff teams a league vs. 2 made things worse. Winning the pennant used to have meaning when it was 2 teams only and only the best 2 teams over the season got in.

Baseball was once the most watched and talked about sport in America but other sports evolved while baseball stayed stagnant - thus they are behind the NFL , NBA , maybe even behind Hockey - would be surprised if more people watched the Masters than any world series game.

Make the sport interesting -- a 20 second time limit to pitch after the pitcher gets it from the catcher / 10 seconds added if he throws to a runner at 1st -- would speed up the game and encourage more steal attempts to a degree. If you hit a foul ball with 2 strikes and it isn't the 9th inning youre out - again would speed up the game . If a batter steps out of the box their better be a good reason or auto out - meaning can't just step out becasue he doesn't feel right yet. Allow aluminum bats -- theres no real HR record anyway anymore. and damn let Clemens and Bonds in the damn HOF - with or without juicing they were both top 5-10 ever at their position. No intentional walks.

I grew up on Baseball and used to love it till the 90's strike - I have all the baseball card sets from 1979 - 1989 ( which are now basically worthless due to ebay :( ) After the strike ( still feel bad for Montreal ) people started taking notice of how boring baseball really was to watch and rating went downhill ever since to rock bottom where they are now. Hell I can't even tell you who won the last 5 WS's let alone who was in the playoffs. Last game I watched was game 7 of NY - Boston in the playoffs just see if they could come back from 0-3.

Baseball is still more popular than the NBA(there was a lockout) and certainly Hockey...

Baseball is still more popular than the NBA(there was a lockout) and certainly Hockey...

match the NBA finals ratings against the WS ratings then tell me that

Will have a shot against Texas - Feldman making a spot start 2nite and C. Lewis 2morow. Feldman is solid, but not a dominating pitcher by any means. Lewis - he has sucked ass of late, giving up long balls like Halloween candy.

Nice call :thumbsup:

SWEEP!!

Josh Beckett shut a lot of people up today

7 IP

4 H

2 BB

9 K

0 R

:clap:

It is amazing what happens when you stop eating fried chicken in the clubhouse and playing golf in between starts. :lol:

Nice call :thumbsup:

SWEEP!!

I was worried about this short series - big let down coming off of the Angels series. Even still, I didn't expect the sloppy ass play. Beltre's error was the difference in game 1 and Colby's stupid ass 2 errors got him in a hole he never recovered from.

Booked my flight today for Toronto, it's me and my buddies annual trip to see a new ballpark.. Can't wait, highlight of my year.

Don't look now but Albert has doubled his HR total <_<

From these links:

http://en.wikipedia....evision_ratings

http://tvbythenumber...13-years/95458/

http://www.awfulanno...rs-ratings.html

http://en.wikipedia....evision_ratings

2011 World Series Game 7: 25.4 million viewers

2011 NBA Championship Game 6: 23.5 million viewers

2012 Masters Sunday: 13.5 million viewers

2011 NHL Finals Game 7: 8.5 million viewers

If you hit a foul ball with 2 strikes and it isn't the 9th inning youre out - again would speed up the game .

I am anything but a baseball purist, but this is crazytalk. This would not just change the game, it would change the game fundamentally. Pitchers would have such an advantage that it wouldnt even be in the same ballpark as fair (you see what i did there?). Part of the art of hitting is being able to fend off tough pitches with two strikes. I dont have an issue with speeding the game up (although i dont feel like it NEEDS to be sped up)but something like this truly would ruin baseball.

Also, aluminum bats = more offense = longer games, which seems to be the opposite of what youre after.

Also also, there would be no way to enforce the no intentional walks rule. What would speed the game up is allowing a team to just say "Put him on first" and not actually throw the pitches.

Outside of the 1st suggestion, I think the remainder of your ideas are, for the lack of a better word - bad.

I agree baseball needs to pick up the pace and get these games moving - but you and everyone else is making it too complicated. Texas has played 38 games this year, and I believe something like 28 of them have been played in 3 hours or less. Reason? Nolan, Mike Maddox, and Greg Maddox have preached to our guys over and over again to take the ball, step on the mound - and throw it. It wasn't really noticable at first, but now that it's being talked about - it's pretty cool to see. Our guys have stopped all of the focking around - they get the ball back and they are ready to go. It's really that simple.

Verlander goes 8.1 of no hit ball :pointstosky:

He SERIOUSLY should have thrown the heater. No one could touch his fast ball once he cranked it up. He started the AB with 3 straight off-speed, I thought for sure he was setting up that 99 on the black for his 13th K. Instead he throws another breaking ball...that was a good pitch but the guy just threw his bat hoping it would make good contact and it did. If he throws his heater, that's an easy and nasty K.

All that being said, the guy OWNS the month of May. Still got the SHO with 1h and 12k, he is absurd and if you disagree look at his 8th inning, struck out the side without even blinking. That is why I thought, until the hit, he easily had it because they just had no clue.

Clay Buchholz is the most mentally fragile ML pitcher i have ever seen. Seriously there are 12 year olds on my sons LL team with more mental toughness.

Felipe Paulino of the royals wishes he could face the yankees every single day. In his last 2 starts....12 innings 14ks ZERO earned runs

There are leagues that don't allow you to set multiple days in advance? Most do

On Sunday night you can set 7 days in advance, not have to accuse yourself of living in your moms basement, and be safe in the event Matt Kemp hits the DL on Monday.

Looks like the Angels are starting to wake up - figured it would happen, they have too much talent to be as bad as they looked. With so many games head-to-head, our division is far from over........ Just looking at some run differentials - every team in the East has double digit pluses, and every team in the Central (minus CLE) is in the negative. The Indians must be pitching their asses off to be leading the division with that kind of differential.

So Justin Turner -third string SS - started yesterday and announcer say's if he gets hurt David Wright would be the emergency SS. So what happens in the 4 th inning ?? You guessed it - Turner sprains ankle - Wright plays SS.

I gotta ask Gary Cohen numbers for tomorrows Powerball !

I know its not the mlb but this is the best catch I have ever seen. Bottom 9th inning. 2 outs. Runner on 3rd. LCC 4 Everett 2.

Wow - that was some catch. Have to be a young buck to pull that shiat off.

Feet came down out of bonds. No catch. Home run.

Is this really the correct ruling? Seems odd - what about when players go into the stands to catch foul balls?

Is this really the correct ruling? Seems odd - what about when players go into the stands to catch foul balls?

Good question

A fielder may reach over a fence, railing, rope or other line of demarcation to make a catch. He may jump on top of a railing, or canvas that may be in foul ground. No interference should be allowed when a fielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand to catch a ball. He does so at his own risk.

If a fielder, attempting a catch at the edge of the dugout, is held up and kept from an apparent fall by a player or players of either team and the catch is made, it shall be allowed.

From mlb.com rules (2.0 - definitions)

I believe that the rule is that you only need to have a portion of your body on or over the field of play at the time that you make the catch. You could be standing on the railing or leaning over it when you make the catch to prevent a home run. However, you can't jump over the fence, be completely over the fence and then make the catch.

Feet came down out of bonds. No catch. Home run.

Wrong... He made the catch, it is an out... Doesn't matter that he fell over the fence...

Same thing with a foul ball...

Wrong... He made the catch, it is an out... Doesn't matter that he fell over the fence...

Same thing with a foul ball...

This

Wow - that was some catch. Have to be a young buck to pull that shiat off.

The fence seemed about 14 inches high..

The fence seemed about 14 inches high..

Its probably more along 4 ft. But to be able to track, jump and catch it is simply amazing.

Tigers optioned 2B Ryan Raburn to Triple-A Toledo.

Raburn deserved the demotion after batting just .146/.209/.211 with one home run and 35 strikeouts through his first 37 games this season. The Tigers will hope that he can right the ship at the Triple-A level and return as a productive major leaguer. Ramon Santiago and Danny Worth will split the playing time at second base going forward.

Which is kinda nice considering that something like 13 pitchers have a better batting average than he did.

Another homer for Pujols. Took 2 of the first 3 games from the wanks. Halos heating up!

A

:banana:

Its probably more along 4 ft. But to be able to track, jump and catch it is simply amazing.

Then how tall is the guy in the bullpen?

Then how tall is the guy in the bullpen?

yea ok...its probably more 3 ft. But still to track, time, leap and catch a ball in a situation like that is amazing.

Rangers sign Roy Oswald - not sure if that's good or not. His record in the Ballpark kind of stinks.