Sign in to follow this  
Crystal Meth Tweekers

Josh Gordon what to do?

Now they say there is no settlement. He may be able to play in all 16 games wow. I just took him in round 10 Sunday. If there is no answer by this weekend what are you all doing?

Profootballtalk reports there have been no settlement talks in the Josh Gordon case.
It's been two-plus weeks since Gordon's appeal was heard, but the sides have yet to come to the bargaining table. They still could, but it would seem to grow less likely by the day. Absent a settlement, Gordon is looking at an all-or-nothing proposition (16 games if the ruling is upheld, zero if it's not). Reports from last week suggested the case should be settled before the end of this week. Aug 19 - 9:36 PM

Did anyone else watch the Browns play this past week. How is he going to get the ball close enough to him to even have a chance to catch it . It's a mess in Cleveland . The Steelers def is moving up my list for a week one starting def unit , vs that awful team .

no settlement could also mean a 16 game suspension. I'm out

I think league would want a settlement before the ruling.. The fact that Gordon hasnt looked for a deal tells me he is confident

There is no settlement at this point because Gordon's side does not want to put accepting 8 games on the table at this point. Right now you just sit tight. I also wouldn't drop Gordon the moment you hear it is a full year ban. There will still be a good chance Gordon's lawyers file an injunction in Ohio state court.

I'm not concerned about the Cleveland offense. It is normal for a team to struggle in the 2nd preseason game when a new staff is installing a different system.

The longer this thing plays out, the better. It means things are being taken into serious consideration and all evidence is being properly evaluated. If they were going to ban him for the season, they would've already done it. Appeals don't usually take this long, especially with an organization like the NFL. I'm expecting a relatively favorable outcome for Gordon, possibly even a settlement of 2-4 games. I'd take a chance in the 10th round for sure.

• Like 1

There's no way he gets off with less than 8 games. The league is not obligated to accept the second hand smoke excuse at all. I think he's getting a year, and this dog and pony show is so the league can claim it did due diligence. PLUS the DUI is still out there.

Im debating taking him in the 8th or 9th round. I am taking flyers in that area anyways, might as well take an impact one.

It's a huge payoff if he pans out.

Something has to be up, I would be very surprised that this dragged on as long as it did only to be a full season suspension. And even if im wrong, its not a pick thats going to hurt my team so whatever. One thing to keep in mind is Clevelands bye is week 4 so that means that Josh Gordon wont be eligible to play until week 10 if its an 8 game suspension.

There's no way he gets off with less than 8 games. The league is not obligated to accept the second hand smoke excuse at all. I think he's getting a year, and this dog and pony show is so the league can claim it did due diligence. PLUS the DUI is still out there.

The league is not obligated to do anything.

but Legally, he may have a case to make a legal challenge. That is the reason this is an issue.

if they had sampled the other sample first, he would have passed the stupid drug test and he'd be playing today.

This is where the Lawyers get involved. If the league suspends and it is later ruled in court that they shouldnt have, they will need to pay him for his lost salary and likely some other damages on top (plus legal fees most likely)

That is the reason we are still talking about this.

Most likely the NFL is seeking a Legal opinion before they hand down their decision. That is why this is taking as long as it is.

Still, I will draft him and not draft a kicker and if he is out for the year (Which will be decided before the season starts obviously) I will just drop him and add my kicker. If its only an 8 game suspension I will just drop someone else.

I drafted him in round 12 as a #5 WR....but i fully expect him to get nailed for the year.

8 games....i have a elite WR for the stretch run and playoffs.....if not....its a 12th round pick...no big loss.

In any draft happening prior to the decision coming down, he is worth a last round pick (or a buck or two at auction)

Just my opinion. Cuz if he plays, he will be worth it.

The league is not obligated to do anything.

but Legally, he may have a case to make a legal challenge. That is the reason this is an issue.

if they had sampled the other sample first, he would have passed the stupid drug test and he'd be playing today.

This is where the Lawyers get involved. If the league suspends and it is later ruled in court that they shouldnt have, they will need to pay him for his lost salary and likely some other damages on top (plus legal fees most likely)

That is the reason we are still talking about this.

Most likely the NFL is seeking a Legal opinion before they hand down their decision. That is why this is taking as long as it is.

Yeah I can't see where the NFL can legally be forced to overturn the suspension. Bottle A or Bottle B, the test was conducted to specs and a positive test is a positive test. I'm a military guy so I'm fairly familiar with the whole 'second hand' defense. The NFL's testing baseline of 15 ng/ml IS low, but dude would literally needed to have been in a closet with up to 15 people smoking weed over an hours time to register a 15 ng/ml positive. Definitely not puling for it to happen, just trying to be realistic. I can't see the NFL setting a new precedent here.

My early league just drafted and Gordon wasn't taken...I took a flyer on Jonathan Stewart with the last pick. Now I'm thinking about dropping him for Gordon, I thought this was just going to be a "show" appeal that would be denied before he even walked in the door. If he gets this dropped what is he looking at with the DUI? 4 games?

My early league just drafted and Gordon wasn't taken...I took a flyer on Jonathan Stewart with the last pick. Now I'm thinking about dropping him for Gordon, I thought this was just going to be a "show" appeal that would be denied before he even walked in the door. If he gets this dropped what is he looking at with the DUI? 4 games?

I would snag him a.s.a.p. just on the chance he plays this season. If it drags on, just don't field a kicker until Week 1 or whenever they make a decision.

Late round picks are for lotto picks

Yeah, and Josh Gordon is the biggest winning ticket that sitting out there late.

There's a precedence for Gordon's situation.

The N.F.L. already dismissed a case where one of the two samples was below the baseline.

My draft isn't for 2 weeks so hopefully we get an update by then. Right now though I wouldn't take him til round 10 or so, maybe later. I'm less concerned about him wasting on my bench an more worried about his reputation for being lazy. I have a feeling he comes back after a long layaway am it takes him another several games to get back into the flow, making me wonder why I rosetted him all year. I also expect one of my league mates will take him earlier than I'd be willing to gamble.

There's a precedence for Gordon's situation.

The N.F.L. already dismissed a case where one of the two samples was below the baseline.

Link?

The league is likely pondering the legal ramifications of enforcing a rule that conflicts with state law. According to state law in OH he didn't fail the test.

Gordon isn't entering a settlement because he has to shoot the moon. He will get a severe enough suspension for next season for the DUI regardless of how this plays out... And it being a contract year for him, and the chance the NFL wusses out on the legal angle for testing is worth the gamble to get himself the biggest FA contract he can.

I've seen this argument a few times and I wonder about it. I am not a lawyer so I don't know but I thought individual companies can have their own drug policy/rules when it comes to what they want to test for. If you don't agree with them, you can go work somewhere else... Didn't he agree to the league rules when he signed his contract? If anyone can break it down better for me I would appreciate it

I read it online somewhere but now I'm having trouble finding the exact link, it's a big reason why I took him at the top of the 10th.

The fact that this is taking so long is pretty indicative of the fact that the N.F.L. doesn't have an airtight case.

Doesn't have an airtight case??? Ha ha ha ha... Their rule specifically states the ng/ml baseline for marijuana at 15 nanograms. It's a ridiculous focking level, I believe military level is 50 nanograms, but it's their rule in place right now. He failed one of the samples ie. he failed the test. He KNEW he was up against a year suspension if he tested positive again, and he is responsible for what goes in his body.

Just trying to be realistic here.

Doesn't have an airtight case??? Ha ha ha ha... Their rule specifically states the ng/ml baseline for marijuana at 15 nanograms. It's a ridiculous focking level, I believe military level is 50 nanograms, but it's their rule in place right now. He failed one of the samples ie. he failed the test. He KNEW he was up against a year suspension if he tested positive again, and he is responsible for what goes in his body.

Yeah but there's the fact that only one out of two of his samples was passed the threshold, the fact that the laws in Ohio differ from the N.F.L.'s policy, and the fact that the N.F.L. is going to have a P.R. nightmare on its hands if they hand out a year long suspension for a borderline drug sample and only gives Ray Rice two games for a very grievous domestic assault.

So what explains the delay if its so cut and dry? Thats what I am most interested to find out.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports there will be no decision on Josh Gordon's suspension appeal this week.

Per FOX Sports' Mike Garofolo, the NFL Players Union and Gordon's reps were expecting a decision by the end of this week. RapSheet says one isn't coming, however. The holdup is believed to be due to a high volume of testimony on both sides stemming from Gordon's latest failed drug test. Gordon failed several drug tests in college, as well. He'll remain in limbo until appeals officer Harold Henderson makes a decision. Hopefully, it'll happen next week.

Aug 22 - 3:56 PM

Well, I'm going to take a chance on him Sunday. The worst that will happen is I'll waste a late pick.

Still... this is getting ridiculous.

Now they say there is no settlement. He may be able to play in all 16 games wow. I just took him in round 10 Sunday. If there is no answer by this weekend what are you all doing?

Profootballtalk reports there have been no settlement talks in the Josh Gordon case.
It's been two-plus weeks since Gordon's appeal was heard, but the sides have yet to come to the bargaining table. They still could, but it would seem to grow less likely by the day. Absent a settlement, Gordon is looking at an all-or-nothing proposition (16 games if the ruling is upheld, zero if it's not). Reports from last week suggested the case should be settled before the end of this week. Aug 19 - 9:36 PM

I would say that in Round 10, that's a pretty good balance of risk/reward.