Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

Death Penalty?

Strike while the iron is hot. Once convicted...take an organ survey and spread the wealth to the people waiting for organ trNsplants.

Supreme Court doing it's job. Let's keep this ball rolling. Who's next?

The U.S. Supreme Court has refused to stop the scheduled execution of a convicted Texas killer whose lawyers argued he's too sick for lethal injection.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-supreme-court-asked-stop-texas-execution-163657917.html

If Trump adds a new justice that is in favor of swift executions, then he is making a good pick. This too way too long to rid the planet of this bag of dogshit.

If the SCOTUS becomes more liberal in allowing executions will be interesting if states start ramping them up. The numbers have been declining the last few years. Would be cool to see justice start getting served quicker.

Strike while the iron is hot. Once convicted...take an organ survey and spread the wealth to the people waiting for organ trNsplants.

Great idea. We could even harvest them while they are still alive. :doublethumbsup:

I am not sure that SCOTUS really takes up much time with these items. It is usually handled at the state level and I don't necessarily see this opening any doors to more executions. States that want to execute will continue to do so and those that don't have any appetite for it will not. :dunno:

I am not sure that SCOTUS really takes up much time with these items. It is usually handled at the state level and I don't necessarily see this opening any doors to more executions. States that want to execute will continue to do so and those that don't have any appetite for it will not. :dunno:

Pretty much every execution gets appealed to the SCOTUS on the day the execution is scheduled. It's another way the lawyers game the system. So, yeah, the SCOTUS being more liberal in allowing executions could absolutely open the door to more executions, and I hope it does.

Great idea. We could even harvest them while they are still alive. :doublethumbsup:

Fresher has to be better!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Pretty much every execution gets appealed to the SCOTUS on the day the execution is scheduled. It's another way the lawyers game the system. So, yeah, the SCOTUS being more liberal in allowing executions could absolutely open the door to more executions, and I hope it does.

What we really need is something like a processing system with a high court that goes thru all these and then once decided, sends it to the supreme court that signs of on the execution. Every murder conviction goes to this court and they review it. Should take about 1 minute each to decide death or LOP. All appeals of death sentence are exhausted same day. No reason to drag it out.

They may get appealed, but that does not mean that they take the case and rule on it. Since 2010, there have been 4 cases heard by SCOTUS on the death penalty.

ETA: during that same period, there have been nearly 300 executions.

They may get appealed, but that does not mean that they take the case and rule on it. Since 2010, there have been 4 cases heard by SCOTUS on the death penalty.

ETA: during that same period, there have been nearly 300 executions.

Link? Looks like a lot more than that here, and this list only goes back a couple years:

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/united-states-supreme-court-decisions-2016-2017-term

From another link:

Monday’s ruling was the third of four capital-punishment cases the Court heard this term.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/supreme-court-death-penalty/531207/

What we really need is something like a processing system with a high court that goes thru all these and then once decided, sends it to the supreme court that signs of on the execution. Every murder conviction goes to this court and they review it. Should take about 1 minute each to decide death or LOP. All appeals of death sentence are exhausted same day. No reason to drag it out.

I'm not in favor of such a system. It doesn't allow for arguments of bad representation, etc......I'm in favor of a two pronged approach to the death penalty:

1) Creation of a new standard of proof - Beyond ALL doubt. There is no doubt Jeffrey Dahmer is guilty. We should be able to take cases like that and dispose of them, and the accused, within a year of arrest.

2) One appeal. After the trial, you decide all grounds for your appeal and file it. You don't get to try one tactic, appeal it all the way to the SCOTUS, and when denied there after years of wasting court time, get to try again on another grounds.

After the appeals process is over you are executed. Should allow for execution within just a few years of arrest in most cases.

Well, I think my links demonstrate that Wikipedia isn't always right. Here is one example that is missing from the Wikipedia page:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/16-5294_h3dj.pdf

Do you really believe the SCOTUS has only ruled on 4 cases in 8 years?

Well, I think my links demonstrate that Wikipedia isn't always right. Here is one example that is missing from the Wikipedia page:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/16-5294_h3dj.pdf

Do you really believe the SCOTUS has only ruled on 4 cases in 8 years?

I will take a look at your links when I get off the road, but I have not heard of many death penalty cases going to SCOTUS recently. If there are a lot, then I might question the application of capital punishment more .

I'm not in favor of such a system. It doesn't allow for arguments of bad representation, etc......I'm in favor of a two pronged approach to the death penalty:

1) Creation of a new standard of proof - Beyond ALL doubt. There is no doubt Jeffrey Dahmer is guilty. We should be able to take cases like that and dispose of them, and the accused, within a year of arrest.

2) One appeal. After the trial, you decide all grounds for your appeal and file it. You don't get to try one tactic, appeal it all the way to the SCOTUS, and when denied there after years of wasting court time, get to try again on another grounds.

After the appeals process is over you are executed. Should allow for execution within just a few years of arrest in most cases.

Pretty much word for word what I've been saying for years.

ETA: of course as soon as I post that we get a double-shooting in to the ED.

I will take a look at your links when I get off the road, but I have not heard of many death penalty cases going to SCOTUS recently. If there are a lot, then I might question the application of capital punishment more .

Looks like more than 4 cases are reviewed, but some of them have a unanimous nature in reversal or remanding back to state courts that I worry more today than I did yesterday that some states are quick to execute.

Not sure that a more conservative SCOTUS will help with that. If you are going to kill a guy, we better be 99.99% sure that he did it.

If you kill someone. You should die in their place unless it's self defense. All their possessions should go to the family of the dead.

• Like 1

Looks like more than 4 cases are reviewed, but some of them have a unanimous nature in reversal or remanding back to state courts that I worry more today than I did yesterday that some states are quick to execute.

Not sure that a more conservative SCOTUS will help with that. If you are going to kill a guy, we better be 99.99% sure that he did it.

I advocate for 100%. See my post on the matter above. Absent those changes, I'll take what we have over stopping executions though.

I advocate for 100%. See my post on the matter above. Absent those changes, I'll take what we have over stopping executions though.

I agree for the most part. We wont get 100%. I also dont think that the current system needs much adjustment. Let states decide what they want and have oversight from the Feds to ensure it is evenly and fairly done.

Yeah I'm down with the compromise. If you admit to it and there's at least one witness? Dead. If there's three Witnesses? Dead regardless. No Appeals.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm done with the compromise. If you admit to it and there's at least one witness? Dead. If there's three Witnesses? Dead regardless. No Appeals.

Damn right. :thumbsup: But I think the appeals process is in the constitution but it sure as hell doesn't say you can drag it out for decades. Appeals should take a couple minutes to get situated in the court room and the judge say, 'denied'.

Yeah I'm down with the compromise. If you admit to it and there's at least one witness? Dead. If there's three Witnesses? Dead regardless. No Appeals.

What if the 3 witnesses are the masterminds from Evil Genius?

What if the 3 witnesses are the masterminds from Evil Genius?

Or those three witches that share an eye in clash of the titans???

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-executes-robert-van-hook-who-strangled-and-stabbed-man-he-met-in-bar-2018-07-18/

Van Hook made a practice of luring gay men to apartments to rob them.

Prosecutors note Van Hook has an extensive history of violence while incarcerated, including stabbing a fellow death row inmate in November.

Authorities say Van Hook met Self at the Subway Bar in downtown Cincinnati on Feb. 18, 1985. After a couple of hours, they went to Self's apartment where Van Hook choked the 25-year-old Self to unconsciousness, stabbed him multiple times in the neck and then cut his abdomen open and stabbed his internal organs, according to court records. Van Hook stole a leather jacket and necklaces before fleeing, records say.

Yeah, good riddance.

Should have allowed him to kill a few dozen inmates first.

Interesting ending though.

After putting me thru the ringer and a lot of ugliness - we told them we would no longer cooperate nor answer any more questions... For 5 years I lived in fear of somebody knocking on my door, showing up at my work - ready to take me away in cuffs. I just assumed that day was coming as they built their case............... Then one day, out of the blue - the DA called and asked if I would come down one more time.. I (basically) told him to go Fock himself - to call my lawyer. He said this time was different, that I was no longer under suspicion - that they had caught the guys who did it, they needed my help............. The story goes - a woman called the Ft. Worth PD, told them she was in Kansas - said if they helped her get her kids back from her estranged husband, she'd tell them about a murder that took place several years earlier... They flew up to meet her, helped her with her predicament - she spilled the beans.... Her husband, his brother and her were into drugs - they needed a score and they needed money. They had cased the store for a few days - planned to rob it, then head straight to Kansas........... (according to her) Things went wrong, they shot him point blank in a struggle, they got away with only some smokes - had been living in Kansas ever since (cept the bother, he joined the Marines)... The accomplice finally rolled and they recovered the shotgun - that's was the eventual nail in the coffin.

Holy sh!t!!! That's crazy.

• Like 1

Good friend of mine got shot in the back riding his bike. Some black punks shot him when he wouldn't get offf his bike. He spent three weeks in ICU.

When I found out who they were, I called my buddy at Angola a year later after they were there for attempted murder and robbery. They spent four years working sugar cane fields from dusk to dawn. The Bull who rode them said "Bunny is the reason!"

I give that man a ham every year for Christmas.

Good friend of mine got shot in the back riding his bike. Some black punks shot him when he wouldn't get offf his bike. He spent three weeks in ICU.

When I found out who they were, I called my buddy at Angola a year later after they were there for attempted murder and robbery. They spent four years working sugar cane fields from dusk to dawn. The Bull who rode them said "Bunny is the reason!"

I give that man a ham every year for Christmas.

I feel like a lot of these stories belong on r/thathappened.

• Like 1

I feel like a lot of these stories belong on r/thathappened.

Does it matter really?

Suspension of disbelief makes the geek club much more entertaining.

Does it matter really?

Suspension of disbelief makes the geek club much more entertaining.

Still cracks me up. No worries. Suspension? 😄 Wrong word counselor.

I did a lot of work for the Office Of Risk Management. They were the main insurer for the state of LA. A chandelier from the 1800's fell from a ceiling fell on an old table. I handled it. Some shithead slipped and fell at the State Angola rodeo! I handled it. You know the game.

I'm proud of the contacts I've made over a twenty five year career. I've got a Rolodex that is priceless.

Going back to the death penalty. I've sat in sparky. The chair they used for decades at Angola to fry the guilty. The red hat house. There's a museum when you enter Angola. An old bull ran it then. His name was Cappy. He had rotten teeth as he chewed tobacco for decades. Could barely walk as he spent years on a horse watching the inmates. Decades. Me: Was it worth it? Cappy: Someone had to do it.

I took a dump in the visiting dugout bathroom at the old Yankee stadium. It wasn't that nice.

Still cracks me up. No worries. Suspension? 😄 Wrong word counselor.

I did a lot of work for the Office Of Risk Management. They were the main insurer for the state of LA. A chandelier from the 1800's fell from a ceiling fell on an old table. I handled it. Some shithead slipped and fell at the State Angola rodeo! I handled it. You know the game.

I'm proud of the contacts I've made over a twenty five year career. I've got a Rolodex that is priceless.

Going back to the death penalty. I've sat in sparky. The chair they used for decades at Angola to fry the guilty. The red hat house. There's a museum when you enter Angola. An old bull ran it then. His name was Cappy. He had rotten teeth as he chewed tobacco for decades. Could barely walk as he spent years on a horse watching the inmates. Decades. Me: Was it worth it? Cappy: Someone had to do it.

I wasnt saying I dont believe you. I was saying I dont care if stuff here is true or not.

give me entertaining bullsh!t over boring truth all day.

For the record, i do believe you.

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

I keep seeing an innocent man will be executed in Texor this week or next.  Whats the story?

Fake news

Dead Man Walking informed my thinking on this. Funny how many faux Christians we have here and yet the true believers in Christ are for redemption in whatever form it may take

10 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Dead Man Walking informed my thinking on this. Funny how many faux Christians we have here and yet the true believers in Christ are for redemption in whatever form it may take

That is BS and you know it.  There is a moral dilemma with the death penalty and abortion all the time. Are you for abortion?

In my eyes, there are some people who cannot be redeemed and who are inherently evil.  If they want to repent right before they die, then let God figure out whether that is truly salvation. My guess is that the vengeful dude that was smiting all over the place will see through the façade and will condemn him to hell. 

2 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

That is BS and you know it.  There is a moral dilemma with the death penalty and abortion all the time. Are you for abortion?

In my eyes, there are some people who cannot be redeemed and who are inherently evil.  If they want to repent right before they die, then let God figure out whether that is truly salvation. My guess is that the vengeful dude that was smiting all over the place will see through the façade and will condemn him to hell. 

Abortion is indeed very complicated and I really don’t know where I stand on it. If we actually could ban it (rather than just making it unsafe) I probably would be for that. But then what about rape, incest and the health of the mother? If you’re really being consistent then the first two still shouldn’t result in abortion but jeez that’s a hard pill to swallow.