Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWonder

Alexa recording and sending your conversations?

Not the least bit surprised and I'm not a conspiracy person or paranoid person

"their Echo device recorded their conversation and sent it to a random person on their contact list."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/05/24/amazon-echo-recorded-conversation-sent-to-random-person-report.html

Sorry if this happened on the moon....

people are dumb.,

Before these things became even this pervasive, I predicted that they would be hacked for all kinds of things. Yeah, I guess they're convenient? But I can work a fukin light switch. Now even your car is hooked up to these things.

Just because we can do something? Doesn't mean we should. This is a society that can hack baby monitors. Do you not think that there is an army of people out there just waiting and licking their chops for all the stuff they can do with these things now?

• Like 1

Damn it, that b!tch knows I didn't substitute the butter with coconut oil in the Pan-Roasted Brined Pork Chop.

But I can work a fukin light switch.

at times I have my doubts.

• Like 1

(Bloomberg) -- Amazon.com Inc. said a series of miscues picked up by one of its voice-activated Echo speakers during an Oregon couple’s private conversation resulted in the chat being recorded and sent to one of their acquaintances without their knowledge.

The tech company responded Wednesday to a KIRO 7 news report that the pair got a phone call recently from the acquaintance, one of the husband’s employees, saying "unplug your Alexa devices right now. You’re being hacked." The Portland couple used Amazon’s voice-activated devices throughout their home to control heat, lights and security, according to the news report.

Amazon explained the series of events that triggered the episode in an emailed statement. The Echo woke after hearing a word in the couple’s conversation that sounded like "Alexa" -- the usual trigger to begin recording. The speaker later heard "send message" during the conversation, at which point the device asked, "to whom?" The pair continued talking in the background and the Echo’s system interpreted part of the chat to identify a name in the couple’s contact list. Alexa then asked aloud if they wanted to send a message to that contact and heard "right" in more background conversation.

"As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely,” the company said.

The report invigorated privacy concerns as internet-connected devices like the Amazon Echo become ubiquitous in homes. Amazon in 2014 introduced the new line of devices, which can also stream music and order goods from Amazon via voice command. It has been busy introducing updated versions and adding features to sell more devices than rivals like Alphabet Inc. and Apple Inc., which offer their own versions.

Voice-activated assistants like the Echo and Google Home have gone mainstream. More than 60 million U.S. consumers will use a smart speaker at least once a month this year, with more than 40 million of them using Amazon’s devices, according to eMarketer Inc.

(Bloomberg) -- Amazon.com Inc. said a series of miscues picked up by one of its voice-activated Echo speakers during an Oregon couples private conversation resulted in the chat being recorded and sent to one of their acquaintances without their knowledge.

The tech company responded Wednesday to a KIRO 7 news report that the pair got a phone call recently from the acquaintance, one of the husbands employees, saying "unplug your Alexa devices right now. Youre being hacked." The Portland couple used Amazons voice-activated devices throughout their home to control heat, lights and security, according to the news report.

Amazon explained the series of events that triggered the episode in an emailed statement. The Echo woke after hearing a word in the couples conversation that sounded like "Alexa" -- the usual trigger to begin recording. The speaker later heard "send message" during the conversation, at which point the device asked, "to whom?" The pair continued talking in the background and the Echos system interpreted part of the chat to identify a name in the couples contact list. Alexa then asked aloud if they wanted to send a message to that contact and heard "right" in more background conversation.

"As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely, the company said.

The report invigorated privacy concerns as internet-connected devices like the Amazon Echo become ubiquitous in homes. Amazon in 2014 introduced the new line of devices, which can also stream music and order goods from Amazon via voice command. It has been busy introducing updated versions and adding features to sell more devices than rivals like Alphabet Inc. and Apple Inc., which offer their own versions.

Voice-activated assistants like the Echo and Google Home have gone mainstream. More than 60 million U.S. consumers will use a smart speaker at least once a month this year, with more than 40 million of them using Amazons devices, according to eMarketer Inc.

Kinda what I assumed happened

Someone posted something like this:

"Facebook is invading my privacy.!! I'm canceling my account."

Same person: "Alexa, order me more toilet paper."

Why anyone would want one of these is beyond me

• Like 2

I have one. Barely use it. It's my alarm now and my bluetooth speaker. Sometimes I'll ask it the weather

I don't need anybody to tell me it's gonna rain. All I have to do is stick my head out the window. Which one's suppose to be the funny guy?

I have multiple Alexa's throughout the house. I use them to turn lights on and off, set the thermostat, control the TV and stereo, start my truck and activate security cameras.

If someone hacks them, they'll just hear some off-color jokes and maybe me and the wife banging. It's not like we walk around reciting Social Security numbers and credit card info.

Just wait until all of these IoT devices turn on us all. Gonna be some Slynet sh!t.

The Roombas are going to order 'upgrades'

Before these things became even this pervasive, I predicted that they would be hacked for all kinds of things. Yeah, I guess they're convenient? But I can work a fukin light switch. Now even your car is hooked up to these things.

Just because we can do something? Doesn't mean we should. This is a society that can hack baby monitors. Do you not think that there is an army of people out there just waiting and licking their chops for all the stuff they can do with these things now?

same :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I am so glad outside of you guys, and 2 fantasy football leagues I play in. I'm pretty much off the grid.

Hell, I still walk into a bank every week and cash a paycheck. I get made fun of alot, but I love it.

And before anyone asks. Yes, I take a lollipop.

• Like 1

I am so glad outside of you guys, and 2 fantasy football leagues I play in. I'm pretty much off the grid.

Hell, I still walk into a bank every week and cash a paycheck. I get made fun of alot, but I love it.

thats not a lollipop

People are getting so lazy... It isn't a convenience, it is pure laziness...

People are getting so lazy... It isn't a convenience, it is pure laziness...

What are you calling lazy?

The concept of owning an amazon echo or google home whatever it's called?

I don't think it's nearly as much an issue of laziness as it is people being fascinated with new tech gadgets and eventually getting bored of them anyway. People think it's nest to say "alexa, turn on the living room lights"... it takes just as much effort to say the command as it does to flip a switch anyway...

I remembered going to one of those homes on Parade things 20 years ago with my girlfriend at the time. The thing is, they had the exact same technology back then.

This is why they invented children. Give me a beer! Turn off the lights! Start the laundry!

How quickly everyone forgets the Clapper.

the red lollipop or the blue one?

What are you calling lazy?

The concept of owning an amazon echo or google home whatever it's called?

I don't think it's nearly as much an issue of laziness as it is people being fascinated with new tech gadgets and eventually getting bored of them anyway. People think it's nest to say "alexa, turn on the living room lights"... it takes just as much effort to say the command as it does to flip a switch anyway...

No it is lazy to have something like that to turn a light on instead of getting off one's ass and go it themselves... I just think it is kind of silly to not be able to do something so minor (change the thermostat, turn on a light, etc.) like this for yourself...

No it is lazy to have something like that to turn a light on instead of getting off one's ass and go it themselves... I just think it is kind of silly to not be able to do something so minor (change the thermostat, turn on a light, etc.) like this for yourself...

but you are doing it yourself, just in a different way. everything in the home is trending toward being integrated with everything else.

I get what you're saying in the sense that the action of telling a machine to turn your light on is lazy compared to getting up and turning it on yourself but I don't think people buy these products in order to be lazy. I dont think they have any issue getting up and turning on/off a light, I think they just enjoy the novelty in being able to use voice commands.

what happened in this story would never happen to me because i dont have contacts loaded to my Echo..... but I could easily see myself and i probably will buy some smart outlets for certain liights. I mean if you ahve your hands full coming in the front door, kind of nice to say "alexa, turn on the livingroom light".

but again, right now I basically use mine as my alarm, I ask it the weather for tomorrow, you can do silly crap like play jeopardy or 20 questions, and I dont have amazon music or spotify or anything but I have it paired to my ipad as my bluetooth speaker. I have also used it to create a shopping list which it sends to your Alexa app. on your phone. You'll probably say I was lazy for not writing down my shopping list by why carry around a paper shopping list when I always have my phone on me anyway?

In hindsight, I really don't need the thing. I bought it around black friday / cyber monday. cost me like $60. I barely use it and feel i've had my moneys worth.

Well that argument was used when t.v. remotes came out

Im just not a gadget guy. I dont really find this stuff all that interesting.

My brother gave my parents an echo for Christmas. Now you get to watch them try to command it to tell them the weather all the time. Thats all they know how to make it do. Of course, the iPhone in their hand can already do that.