Sign in to follow this  
edjr

The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1978

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20096209/nfl-coaches-execs-rank-best-quarterbacks-modern-era-2017

It takes an all-time-great voting panel to rank the greatest NFL quarterbacks of the modern era. We have assembled one of those, which might be the last time everyone reading this treatise nods in solidarity.
Pete Carroll, Tony Dungy, Mike Holmgren, Howard Mudd, Wade Phillips, Mike Reinfeldt, Ray Rhodes, Mike Shanahan, Al Saunders and Norv Turner possess a combined 330 seasons of NFL experience. All 10 are Super Bowl champions, having combined for 20 rings in 30 opportunities.
The 10 bejeweled members of this exalted NFL tribunal agreed to rank their top 10 quarterbacks since 1978 -- more on the time frame in a moment -- while discussing the various quarterbacks on the record.
Panelists received an information packet with stats and career accolades for quarterbacks who were Hall of Famers, likely future Hall of Famers or highly ranked in major statistical categories since 1978, when the NFL ushered in a new era by changing blocking and coverage rules to open up the passing game. Panelists were instructed to use their own criteria.
This exercise was more like completing a deep out into the teeth of the blitz than checking it down to the halfback underneath a soft zone.
"I went 'round and 'round and 'round," Turner said. "I probably had 20 lists, and then you feel like, when you're done, you're leaving someone out to get it to 10."
Hall of Famers Terry Bradshaw and Ken Stabler were notable players excluded from the survey because some of their most significant seasons fell before the 1978 cutoff. Hall of Famer Dan Fouts also played extensively before 1978. He was included in the survey because his career took off beginning in 1978, when Don Coryell took over as the San Diego Chargers' head coach.
Final rankings were determined by how frequently each quarterback outranked the others who received votes across all 10 ballots -- call it the GOAT Index. For example, Tom Brady was ranked above the other QBs 87 percent of the time. Peyton Manning (80 percent) and Joe Montana (78) were next, followed by John Elway (67 percent), Aaron Rodgers (56) and so on. But enough on the math. Let's get to the best QBs of the past four decades!

1. TOM BRADY
GOAT Index: 86.7 percent | Highest rank: 1 | Lowest rank: 6

2. PEYTON MANNING
GOAT Index: 80.0 percent | Highest rank: 1 | Lowest rank: 5

3. JOE MONTANA
GOAT Index: 78.0 percent | Highest rank: 1 | Lowest rank: 9

4. JOHN ELWAY
GOAT Index: 66.7 percent | Highest rank: 1 | Lowest rank: 8

5. AARON RODGERS
GOAT Index: 56.0 percent | Highest rank: 3 | Lowest rank: NR

Even though Brady is #1, having Manning #2 makes this list a buncha shite.

Having the guy who has all the records and won 2 sb as no.2 isn't that bad. Peyton is locked into the top 3 imo. Rodgers at 5 is the biggest stretch, he needs to win another one.

Having the guy who has all the records and won 2 sb as no.2 isn't that bad. Peyton is locked into the top 3 imo. Rodgers at 5 is the biggest stretch, he needs to win another one.

14 and 13 career playoff record.

NINE times 1 and done

Stop it

Even though Brady is #1, having Manning #2 makes this list a buncha shite.

I knew the list was BS when Staubach's name didn't appear on it.

I knew the list was BS when Staubach's name didn't appear on it.

:lol:

He played 1 year after 1978.

agreed, Marino, Favre, and Young all still ahead of Arod imo

It's all fantasy stats, that's pretty much all that anyone cares about or thinks about when judging NFL GOAT

:lol:

He played 1 year after 1978.

Oh my bad.. Didn't read thru the entire 14 paragraphs to get to that point.

Oh my bad.. Didn't read thru the entire 14 paragraphs to get to that point.

How about the thread title you mook :doh:

Take 2 laps

Rodgers does more for the Packers than any other QB in the league does for theirs.

Pats would go 11-5 with Jimmy

ATL would go 9-7 with Schaub

Packers would go 5-11 with Hundley

How about the thread title you mook :doh:

Take 2 laps

I didn't get that far either. :lol:

Rodgers does more for the Packers than any other QB in the league does for theirs.

sure they would

14 and 13 career playoff record.

NINE times 1 and done

Stop it

I was his biggest critic of those one and dones, I feel you. He still won 2sb even if he was carried the 2nd time. Without the Denver years he is a lot lower. I'm not exactly in the minority here, it's pretty wide consensus to put Peyton in the top 3-4. *donno emoji*

I didn't get that far either. :lol:

:mad:

I was his biggest critic of those one and dones, I feel you. He still won 2sb even if he was carried the 2nd time. Without the Denver years he is a lot lower. I'm not exactly in the minority here, it's pretty wide consensus to put Peyton in the top 3-4. *donno emoji*

so you want to give him credit for his regular season stats. Okay. got it.

his last season when he won that coveted 2nd super bowl - 67.9 rating 9 TD 17 INT (not much better in the playoffs, 2 TDS in 3 games)

your move

so you want to give him credit for his regular season stats. Okay. got it.

his last season when he won that coveted 2nd super bowl - 67.9 rating 9 TD 17 INT (not much better in the playoffs, 2 TDS in 3 games)

your move

He was the worst qb in the league that last season. Yes I give some credit for his regular season accomplishments. It's part of a 3 pronged system for legacy evaluation. Patented by me, it's the best system ever devised (according to me).

Regular season accomplishments- This is things like wins, stats, eye test. Overall impression of the meat of a guys career. He scores high here, maybe highest ever.

Playoff history- Wins, games played, eye test, clutch, guts, will to win etc. He scores mediocre here due to the early exits.

Career accolades- MVP awards, SB wins, SB appearances. He scores very high here due to the most MVPs ever and 2 rings across a lot of appearances.

Those 3 categories, all weighed and pondered together add up to a very good (if not inarguable) for top 3-5 all time. 2 to me is a bit high and I put Montana there, but I won't quibble over top 2-4. Brady to me has earned no.1.

He was the worst qb in the league that last season. Yes I give some credit for his regular season accomplishments. It's part of a 3 pronged system for legacy evaluation. Patented by me, it's the best system ever devised (according to me).

Regular season accomplishments- This is things like wins, stats, eye test. Overall impression of the meat of a guys career. He scores high here, maybe highest ever.

Playoff history- Wins, games played, eye test, clutch, guts, will to win etc. He scores mediocre here due to the early exits.

Career accolades- MVP awards, SB wins, SB appearances. He scores very high here due to the most MVPs ever and 2 rings across a lot of appearances.

Those 3 categories, all weighed and pondered together add up to a very good (if not inarguable) for top 3-5 all time. 2 to me is a bit high and I put Montana there, but I won't quibble over top 2-4. Brady to me has earned no.1.

Good explanation. Well written. Thank you for that.

I personally don't go with numbers. In football, more than any other sport, you are mostly a product of what's around you. Can't win if your O-line doesn't block, can't win if your D lets up 40+ a game. etc.

I use the eye test.

Elway

Brady

Montana

don't care about the rest.

Put Steve Young at #2 and drop the rest down a notch.

• Like 1

These rankings and debates are getting harder and harder to care about.

First of all, it doesn't really matter. It's not like Brady will win an extra 100 million or gain immediate entry to the HOF if he's crowned the GOAT by this group.

Secondly, there have been so many greats

from different decades now. And the physical skills, rules, and supporting playmakers from different teams and eras are impossible to compare.

First of all, it doesn't really matter. It's not like Brady will win an extra 100 million or gain immediate entry to the HOF if he's crowned the GOAT by this group.

from different decades now. And the physical skills, rules, and supporting playmakers from different teams and eras are impossible to compare.

I agree. It is impossible to compare eras and situations and stats. Brady has his rings and thats what matters so I have no problem with whoever wants to declare him the best. Hes great.

I agree, it's hard to compare. If you want to include every era then Sammy Baugh is the GOAT and no one else is even close. Dude won like 11 titles as qb or something preposterous like that. Didn't he also lead the league in int, kicking, something like that?

Brees does more for the Saints than Aaron for the Packers.

https://nflcomparisons.com/drew-brees-vs-aaron-rodgers-comparison/

Brees does more for the Saints than Aaron for the Packers.

https://nflcomparisons.com/drew-brees-vs-aaron-rodgers-comparison/

Brees somehow is underrated. I'm gonna throw out just one stat. Brees has more 5k yd seasons than Dan Marino had 30td seasons. Let that sink in people....5k passing, a feat no one but Brees has done more than once, he has done 5 times. Marino had just 4 seasons of 30+ td passes (Brees has 9). Plus the lone sb, makes Brees a STRICTLY better Dan Marino. I'll say it again, Bree's is strictly and inarguably a better qb than Dan Marino and should rated higher legacywise.

Brees somehow is underrated. I'm gonna throw out just one stat. Brees has more 5k yd seasons than Dan Marino had 30td seasons. Let that sink in people....5k passing, a feat no one but Brees has done more than once, he has done 5 times. Marino had just 4 seasons of 30+ td passes (Brees has 9). Plus the lone sb, makes Brees a STRICTLY better Dan Marino. I'll say it again, Bree's is strictly and inarguably a better qb than Dan Marino and should rated higher legacywise.

If it wasn't for such poor defenses year after year, he'd have a least three Super Bowls in my opinion.

Titles:

ARod - 1

Young - 1

Favre - 1

Marino - 0

Regular Season W/L Records

ARod: 90-45 (.667)

Young: 94-49 (.657)

Favre 186-112 (.624)

Marino: 147-93 (.613)

Playoff W/L Records:

ARod: 9-7 (.562)

Young: 8-6 (.571)

Favre: 13-11 (.542)

Marino: 8-10 (.444)

:dunno:

Titles:

ARod - 1

Young - 1

Favre - 1

Marino - 0

Regular Season W/L Records

ARod: 90-45 (.667)

Young: 94-49 (.657)

Favre 186-112 (.624)

Marino: 147-93 (.613)

Playoff W/L Records:

ARod: 9-7 (.562)

Young: 8-6 (.571)

Favre: 13-11 (.542)

Marino: 8-10 (.444)

:dunno:

Thanks for these. Dan is massively overrated and well below all those guys mentioned. He barely scrapes my top 10 and that's just out of pity.

I remember when we were playing well, [John] Madden and [Pat] Summerall talking about Troy being the most accurate passer they had ever seen.

~Norv Turner

Your link proves that Brees throws it more. That's about it.

Rodgers clearly does more per pass than Brees.

Of all the QB's that have EVER played the game, Brees has thrown it for 5000 yards plus in his career five times. No one in the history of the game has done it more than once. He's the. He's the best passing QB the league has ever witnessed. Rodgers isn't even close. He may one day, but not today. He's a pure drop back passer. Great instincts in the poker. Tough. A leader unlike anything we've seen in decades. He's a better QB than Fabre, Marino, and Elway. Stats don't lie. Top five all time. But doesn't get the credit deserved because he's a Saint. If he was a Cowgirl or Giant, he'd be in the conversation.

Of all the QB's that have EVER played the game, Brees has thrown it for 5000 yards plus in his career five times. No one in the history of the game has done it more than once. He's the. He's the best passing QB the league has ever witnessed. Rodgers isn't even close. He may one day, but not today. He's a pure drop back passer. Great instincts in the poker. Tough. A leader unlike anything we've seen in decades. He's a better QB than Fabre, Marino, and Elway. Stats don't lie. Top five all time. But doesn't get the credit deserved because he's a Saint. If he was a Cowgirl or Giant, he'd be in the conversation.

Sure. He throws it a lot. That's been established. He just isn't as efficient with all those throws as Rodgers. That's ok.

Meh

Meh

X2

Brees, while a great QB shouldn't be mentioned in the top 5.

Pretty much a one dimensional QB.

Now if he ever had some decent quality players (or coaching / game planning) to compliment him on a consistant basis he might be ranked higher.

I've been on reord here for many years saying that Steve Young is the bestest QB to ever play the game (And I hate the 49ers), but there is prolly no doubt that Brady deserves the #1 now, right?

Sure. He throws it a lot. That's been established. He just isn't as efficient with all those throws as Rodgers. That's ok.

Rodgers isn't close yet! He's the next Brees⚜️

Brees was sort of considered a game manager in SD. He went to the dome....and blamO.

Yeah I think Young tends to get a little underrated when people do this list.

• Like 1

I totally take edjrs opinion over NFL coaches, players and Execs.

like say, Tony Dungy who picked Brady 6th :lol:

I thought we had concluded Brady was a system QB? :dunno:

the system is called the greatest. All teams/players can only hope to duplicate.