Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Another unarmed / cop shooting

Okay, this one's going to be hard to walk back. White Cop, 66 year old black woman in New York. Neighbor calls about a disturbed individual, the black woman. Cop talks her down from holding scissors Only to see her pick up a baseball bat. Cop then shoots her twice in the Torso Without ever attempting To use the taser Or any other standoff weapons.

Sorry I can't provide a link right now, Will do so soonest.

Really can't think Of Even a possible justification for this one. The woman was in her own apartment So comma As far as I can tell, not a threat to anyone else. If nothing else Leave the apartment hold the door closed And call for backup.

Pretty sure I could avoid a 66 year old Swinging a bat at me. Pretty sure I could disarm her.Pretty damn sure I can use pepper spray And/or a taser Long enough to take control the situation.

Trying to give this cop the benefit of the doubt, But my imagination apparently isn't that great.

Cop talks her down from holding scissors Only to see her pick up a baseball bat. Cop then shoots her twice in the Torso Without ever attempting To use the taser Or any other standoff weapons.

Really can't think Of Even a possible justification for this one.

What if we find out that this was the mother of Chili Davis?

Not all NYC cops carry tasers. Only supervisors are required to. About 30% of cops do.

Since Wiff seems incapable of using google, here is a link:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Police-Involved-Shooting-Bronx-NYPD-397521761.html

Apparently cop DID have a taser. Any cop who feels threatened by a 66 year old black woman with a baseball bat to the point of needing to shoot her dead needs to not have been a cop. This is sad and tragic. Not sure what criminal charges, if any, will come from this but there should be some.

• Like 1

A police sergeant fatally shot a 66-year-old woman when she charged at him with a baseball bat in her Bronx apartment Tuesday evening, the NYPD says.

Officers responding to a neighbor's 911 complaint about the woman on Pugsley Avenue in Castle Hill entered the woman's seventh-floor apartment at about 6 p.m., according to police officials at a news briefing Tuesday.

A uniformed sergeant encountered the woman, who was naked and armed with scissors, officials said. He persuaded her to put down the scissors but as soon she did so, she picked up a baseball bat and tried to hit him with it.

That's when the sergeant fired two shots from his service gun, officials said. The woman was struck twice in the torso.

Fock her

Since Wiff seems incapable of using google, here is a link:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Police-Involved-Shooting-Bronx-NYPD-397521761.html

Apparently cop DID have a taser. Any cop who feels threatened by a 66 year old black woman with a baseball bat to the point of needing to shoot her dead needs to not have been a cop. This is sad and tragic. Not sure what criminal charges, if any, will come from this but there should be some.

Good thing you have the case wrapped up. He should go home, kiss his wife and kids and head off to jail.

Strikes version is even worse. Multiple cops Confronted her? I guess maybe it's one thing if one cop did so, But that's just ridiculous.

Okay, this one's going to be hard to walk back. White Cop, 66 year old black woman in New York. Neighbor calls about a disturbed individual, the black woman. Cop talks her down from holding scissors Only to see her pick up a baseball bat. Cop then shoots her twice in the Torso Without ever attempting To use the taser Or any other standoff weapons.

Sorry I can't provide a link right now, Will do so soonest.

Really can't think Of Even a possible justification for this one. The woman was in her own apartment So comma As far as I can tell, not a threat to anyone else. If nothing else Leave the apartment hold the door closed And call for backup.

Pretty sure I could avoid a 66 year old Swinging a bat at me. Pretty sure I could disarm her.Pretty damn sure I can use pepper spray And/or a taser Long enough to take control the situation.

Trying to give this cop the benefit of the doubt, But my imagination apparently isn't that great.

She was unarmed? As in had no weapons? Never heard the term "armed with a baseball bat?"

She was unarmed? As in had no weapons? Never heard the term "armed with a baseball bat?"

I'm guessing a 66 year old women couldn't dent a pumpkin with a baseball bat

I like how wiff says she picked up a baseball bat and he shot her. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing a 66 year old women couldn't dent a pumpkin with a baseball bat

A nekkid 66 yr old black woman could easily be pushing 300 lbs. You'd run like a little girl from that.

It was Bobby Bonilla and the Cop was a Mets fan.

July 1 through 2035. It's the day when the METS pay him $1,193,248.20.

:lol:

A nekkid 66 yr old black woman could easily be pushing 300 lbs. You'd run like a little girl from that.

Oh, are you sure I wouldn't shoot her twice?

Oh, are you sure I wouldn't shoot her twice?

You prolly would. Go watch some Jerry Springer and tell me you wouldn't want to shot her.

Let me see, if she hadn't picked up the bat and listened to Police she would be alive? This is 100% her fault, I don't care what color she is.

Let me see, if she hadn't picked up the bat and listened to Police she would be alive? This is 100% her fault, I don't care what color she is.

I don't care if she picked up a Samurai sword.

a 66 year old woman who's disturbing neighbors to the point that they call the police.

They arrive, she's naked holding a scissors.

1. She's nuts.

2. She's high as a kite.

3. Drunk off her a$$.

Police talk her into putting down scissors.

She then chooses to grab baseball bat and swing at officers. Folks, that's use of deadly force.

Means, opportunity and intent.

A 66 yo old human high on PCP can punch through a car window.

I'd shoot her dumbass too.

Anybody who says anything differently is either stupid or has no idea what it takes to do that job.

ETA: I'm surprised they hit her twice with their handguns. They must have fired about 15 rounds.

(Hint: NYC cops suck at shooting; historically)

a 66 year old woman who's disturbing neighbors to the point that they call the police.

They arrive, she's naked holding a scissors.

1. She's nuts.

2. She's high as a kite.

3. Drunk off her a$$.

shooting someone that you've surmised is nuts, high and drunk. Brilliant! :wacko:

If the cop didn't feel threatened when she was wielding scissors, why did he all of the sudden feel threatened when she picked up a bat? Why didn't he shoot her soon as he saw scissors if she was such a deadly threat...?

If the cop didn't feel threatened when she was wielding scissors, why did he all of the sudden feel threatened when she picked up a bat? Why didn't he shoot her soon as he saw scissors if she was such a deadly threat...?

Great question there Cruzer. I guess we will have to wait until we get the Sgt's side of things. Or not.

Was she close enough to harm him with the scissors? Did she come at him with the scissors? By their report, she did with the bat. :dunno:

Was she close enough to harm him with the scissors? Did she come at him with the scissors? By their report, she did with the bat. :dunno:

I don't know.

What I do know is: if a naked, 66 year old woman, in her own apartment, is a deadly threat, to a uniformed police sergeant, with just a bat - then we have an officer not qualified to be on the street investigating anything.

I also know, from the report, the sergeant did have a stun gun on his uniform... What exactly was he carrying it for then? Was he afraid the shock would harm her at her age? So two bullets was less harmful to her?

I think I would prolly shoot her too if I had a weapon, but I also get it that hey maybe the cop should risk his life to disarm her and perhaps hope she doesn't have anything else on her that could harm him?

I don't know.

What I do know is: if a naked, 66 year old woman, in her own apartment, is a deadly threat, to a uniformed police sergeant, with just a bat - then we have an officer not qualified to be on the street investigating anything.

I also know, from the report, the sergeant did have a stun gun on his uniform... What exactly was he carrying it for then? Was he afraid the shock would harm her at her age? So two bullets was less harmful to her?

can't feet and hands also be considered "deadly weapons"

only a matter of time before cops can shoot anyone

I dunno what it tells me as that this dude was probably a 40 yr veteran, and to make it last that long on the force, I respect his decision

Its not likely he has a habit of killing random blackies

Armed intruders in apartment, elderly resident shot and killed while trying to defend herself.

Wait, she's black, never mind.

shooting someone that you've surmised is nuts, high and drunk. Brilliant! :wacko:

Tell us; oh genius one...what would you do?

I dunno what it tells me as that this dude was probably a 40 yr veteran, and to make it last that long on the force, I respect his decision

Its not likely he has a habit of killing random blackies

Apparently, you didnt read 8 years.

Apparently, you didnt read 8 years.

apparently I don't see 8 years anywhere in this thread

and if he was only on for 8 years, that means he started in the force at 58, yah thats not happening, I am sure he was in law enforcement elsewhere

you don't start as a cop at 58 and become a sargeant in 8 yrs

I don't know.

You don't know sh1t, and your statement proves it.

A naked 66yo woman can't be a threat? So if she had a tshirt on, it makes a fuckin difference?

Oh, what she has to be 40? 20? What age is a threat? Tell us, so the rest of us can know.

You're a goddamned idiot Cruzer. A total fuckin idiot.

• Like 1

Woman has a history of mental illness with violent episodes. Looks like the system failed her. Thanks mental health professionals.

apparently I don't see 8 years anywhere in this thread

and if he was only on for 8 years, that means he started in the force at 58, yah thats not happening, I am sure he was in law enforcement elsewhere

you don't start as a cop at 58 and become a sargeant in 8 yrs

Geesus, could you BE any focking dumber?

The LADY was 66 you focking tard. :doh:

An NYPD sergeant shot and killed a 66-year-old woman wielding a bat in the Bronx on Tuesday, and now cops say they’re looking into why the officer used lethal force instead of his stun gun.

Police were responding to a neighbor’s complaint about Deborah Danner behaving “in an irrational manner” in her Pugsley Ave. building near Seward Ave. in Castle Hill around 6:06 p.m., the NYPD said.

It wasn’t the first time — cops had answered similar calls at the address in the past, said authorities.

Sgt. Hugh Barry was among the officers who entered the seventh-floor apartment and found Danner in a bedroom holding a pair of scissors and threatening cops, police and sources said.

Barry, an eight-year department veteran working in the 43rd Precinct, convinced her to drop the scissors, but she grabbed a wooden bat and lunged a “close distance of an amount of feet” across the narrow room at him, sources said.

“As she attempted to strike the sergeant, he fired two shots from his service revolver, striking her in the torso,” said Assistant Chief Larry Nikunen, the commanding officer of Patrol Borough Bronx.

Medics took the woman to Jacobi Hospital, where she died at 7:15 p.m.

It was unclear why the cop went for his gun.

“The sergeant was armed with a Taser. It was not deployed, and the reason it was not deployed will be part of the investigation and review,” Nikunen said.

Barry was placed on modified duty, stripped of his gun and shield, pending the outcome of the investigation, an NYPD spokesman confirmed.

Politicians, including Public Advocate Letitia James and Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr., called the shooting unacceptable.

“This elderly woman was known to the police department, yet the officer involved in this shooting failed to use discretion to either talk her down from her episode or, barring that, to use his stun gun,” Diaz said.

Diaz compared the shooting to the 1984 police killing of Eleanor Bumpurs, a disturbed 66-year-old woman shot while brandishing a knife at officers, and asked state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman to open a probe.

James also called for an investigation Tuesday night.

“While we are still learning details about this evening's incident, I am renewing my call to expand the use of non-lethal use of force by the NYPD,” James said.

Activists also questioned the deadly use of force.

"America has to say enough is enough," said Hawk Newsome, president of Black Lives Matter New York. "These police officers need to start using their brains and stop using their guns. People are dying and more other than not it's black people. Black blood is running through the streets and we are receiving no justice."

"We’re determined to get to the bottom of what happened and won’t rest until we do," Mayor de Blasio tweeted after saying he had been briefed on the situation.

Neighbors said Danner was known for her odd behavior.

Raphelle Gundy, who lives on the second floor, said police took her out of the apartment several times, once in a straight jacket. She noted a dramatic decline in the woman after her mother died several years ago.

“She was hollering, screaming and spitting, and you would have thought this lady was possessed, but I knew she was mentally unbalanced,” she said. “I saw the change in her after her mother died. She used to speak to people when her mother was still alive.”

Danner lived alone, but the noise coming from the apartment was so loud that neighbors often thought she was fighting with someone else inside, Gundy said. “She’s hollering and screaming talking about how she’s going to hurt somebody,” she said. “This lady was talking like she was battling somebody.”

The people of this country are going to get what they want. Cops who are hands off.