Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

Prescription pain meds in sports

Liquid Vicodin goes down like water and addictive as hell. I bet Favre wanted to die coming off pain meds or he may still be on methadone or the like.

They should legalize marijuana just for this reason.

it basically is in the nfl... they all say if you test positive for it you deserve it

And steroids and HGH.

It is not shocking because I think most informed fans are aware, sort of like roids in the roid Era of baseball.

I like having thursday games because im a football junkie but it is completely unfair and inhumane

it basically is in the nfl... they all say if you test positive for it you deserve it

Yep. As long as a player isn't on the list that required constant screening, they get tested once per year, and they all know when that test will be.

My old college roommate was friends with a guy that played as a backup defensive lineman for the Redskins and Raiders.

When he'd come home during the summer, he'd smoke like a chimney. Used to say approximately 70% of the team smoked weed.

The NFL would be wise to explore allowing a certain higher threshold for THC in the body. I know it might hurt their pocketbook in the short term with the pharmaceutical industry, but if the veil ever gets lifted on the amount of shady sh!t teams do with the pills/pain meds, it's gonna cost them a whole lot more

My old college roommate was friends with a guy that played as a backup defensive lineman for the Redskins and Raiders.

When he'd come home during the summer, he'd smoke like a chimney. Used to say approximately 70% of the team smoked weed.

The NFL would be wise to explore allowing a certain higher threshold for THC in the body. I know it might hurt their pocketbook in the short term with the pharmaceutical industry, but if the veil ever gets lifted on the amount of shady sh!t teams do with the pills/pain meds, it's gonna cost them a whole lot more

They raised the THC level.

They raised the THC level.

It's still below MLB (50) and the Olympics (150) though.

The NFL seemingly did it as a PR move.

What a sham. Big pharma in bed with the NFL so here, have all the Oxy you want. But if you roll a bone, we'll suspend you.

I'm curious how many pain med addicts retire from the NFL and what types of treatment programs are there for the addicted.

You think the pharmaceutical industry is in cahoots with the NFL? The only way to eliminate pain in the NFL is change the game. Not substitute one drug for another.

You think the pharmaceutical industry is in cahoots with the NFL? The only way to eliminate pain in the NFL is change the game. Not substitute one drug for another.

Its not about eliminating pain.

Its about eliminating dependency on pills

Its not about eliminating pain.

Its about eliminating dependency on pills

There aren't many options for severe pain, and none are more effective than opioids. I have no problem with people using pot or its derivatives, but there's no reason to believe it will eliminate the need for more potent analgesics.

And please elaborate exactly how the NFL would lose money if the threshold for MJ use was raised?

There aren't many options for severe pain, and none are more effective than opioids. I have no problem with people using pot or its derivatives, but there's no reason to believe it will eliminate the need for more potent analgesics.

Or,

If the pain is so much, an opioid is needed, it might be time to take the day off.

Or,

If the pain is so much, an opioid is needed, it might be time to take the day off.

Sure. You could say the same thing about steroid injections, which aren't addictive. But that isn't due to some conspiracy between the league and big pharma, it's the NFL abusing their players.

Sure. You could say the same thing about steroid injections, which aren't addictive. But that isn't due to some conspiracy between the league and big pharma, it's the NFL abusing their players.

I agree. Anyone blaming Drug Co's is dumb.

Opioids in sports are turning out junkies.

And please elaborate exactly how the NFL would lose money if the threshold for MJ use was raised?

If you don't think at least 20+% of the league would stop taking pills by the Pez dispenser prescribed from team doctors...you're possibly delusional.

That...in effect, would lower the amount of insanely high grade painkillers the league disperses (ie: opioids).

Thus affecting their bottom line. You think an industry that's spending $133 million in advertising during NFL games wants any reduction whatsoever in their gravy train? Less players needing drugs, less money to be made.

Ricky Williams got by with weed for a bulk of his pain relief. I'm betting guys nowadays could too

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/jake-plummer-s-pot-crusade/

I won't bother posting the text here if you want to read it click the link.

But here is a clip from article.

Plummer is a leading advocate for the medical marijuana movement. But despite the rugged setting of his photo shoot, he is hardly a lone voice in the wilderness. Players such as former Ravens tackle Eugene Monroe and Titans linebacker Derrick Morgan now stand beside him. So do the mothers of young children whose lives were saved by cannabis-derived chemicals. And former players coping with the debilitating aftermath of their NFL careers. They want the NFL to relax its hard-line stance on cannabis in all its forms and support research into medical marijuana's potential as a neuroprotectant, a substance that can protect (or even repair) a damaged brain.

If you don't think at least 20+% of the league would stop taking pills by the Pez dispenser prescribed from team doctors...you're possibly delusional.

That...in effect, would lower the amount of insanely high grade painkillers the league disperses (ie: opioids).

Thus affecting their bottom line. You think an industry that's spending $133 million in advertising during NFL games wants any reduction whatsoever in their gravy train? Less players needing drugs, less money to be made.

Ricky Williams got by with weed for a bulk of his pain relief. I'm betting guys nowadays could too

I'm betting I have a bunch more experience managing pain than you do, and marijuana isn't the answer. If NFL players want to try it, great, but there is no conspiracy to prescribe more narcotics to manage their pain.

Pharmaceutical advertising is nefarious, for sure, but those ads at games aren't targeting players or their doctors...

I'm betting I have a bunch more experience managing pain than you do, and marijuana isn't the answer. If NFL players want to try it, great, but there is no conspiracy to prescribe more narcotics to manage their pain.

Pharmaceutical advertising is nefarious, for sure, but those ads at games aren't targeting players or their doctors...

Have you ever prescribed marijuana to any of your patients and/or tried marijuana yourself?

Have you ever prescribed marijuana to any of your patients and/or tried marijuana yourself?

No and/or Yes

Ive had a herniated disk in my lower back that's caused immense pain for the better part of 14 years.

I fractured my skull at 8. I get migraines and dizziness randomly.

I fractured a bone in my wrist that healed wrong and causes pain in my joints.

Maybe I don't know the intense pain you're going through, but as someone with a sh!t ton of random injuries that have added up, pain killers in pill form don't do it for me.

I've tried. Horse pills of Ibuprofen for breakfast on an empty stomach. A couple Vics before a movie so you can sit still for a couple hours.

I loved the relaxation, but I hated how I felt afterwards. The come down from pills for me isn't a good feeling. I also felt the dependency more than weed.

Weed just makes me sleepy when I come down.

Here in Colo, there's a huge uptick in bronchial thorasic issues related to toking and vaping.

And oddly, some serious stomach issue (not munchies) that results in great pain.

Common sensing it, seems like pot wouldn't be good for lung capacity.

But yeah, lots of docs would lose their license if people got serious about opiods and sports.

I don't have a license to prescribe medical MJ, but worked in a clinic where one of my coworkers did. And no, I've never tried marijuana.

How many patients with acute or chronic pain have you treated? What is your experience with narcotics?

Um, I also love vicodin. Most women can't handle it, so they slip ME the drugs for a change.

Not as rapey, but still fun.

Ive had a herniated disk in my lower back that's caused immense pain for the better part of 14 years.

I fractured my skull at 8. I get migraines and dizziness randomly.

I fractured a bone in my wrist that healed wrong and causes pain in my joints.

Maybe I don't know the intense pain you're going through, but as someone with a sh!t ton of random injuries that have added up, pain killers in pill form don't do it for me.

I've tried. Horse pills of Ibuprofen for breakfast on an empty stomach. A couple Vics before a movie so you can sit still for a couple hours.

I loved the relaxation, but I hated how I felt afterwards. The come down from pills for me isn't a good feeling. I also felt the dependency more than weed.

Weed just makes me sleepy when I come down.

Everybody has chronic aches and pains as we age. Degenerative disc disease and arthritis are incredibly common. That type of pain isn't a good candidate for narcotic analgesics. Acute, excruciating pain, like what might follow being crushed by a 300 pound lineman or blowing out your ACL are.

And migraines and dizziness probably have nothing to do with your skull fracture.

And migraines and dizziness probably have nothing to do with your skull fracture.

My primary doctor as well as neurologist would disagree. :dunno:

Kid I know, great kid, popular kid, got into a car accident, focked up his back.

Dr prescribed him oxycontin for the pain. (which is supposed to be for people dying of cancer)

Wasn't 2 years before he was doing heroin. Lost his job and his family, moved away.

How did he get his life back on track?

He got busted for Armed robbery of a convenient store.

Had no record. Spent like 5 years in the slammer.

Got his sh1t together in prison and kept it rolling once he got out.

All is well now.

Pain meds are very bad and 9 out of 10 times lead to heroin

Kid I know, great kid, popular kid, got into a car accident, focked up his back.

Dr prescribed him oxycontin for the pain. (which is supposed to be for people dying of cancer)

Wasn't 2 years before he was doing heroin. Lost his job and his family, moved away.

How did he get his life back on track?

He got busted for Armed robbery of a convenient store.

Had no record. Spent like 5 years in the slammer.

Got his sh1t together in prison and kept it rolling once he got out.

All is well now.

Pain meds are very bad and 9 out of 10 times lead to heroin

The heroin / pain medication link is somewhat frightening. I don't know if it's 9 out of 10 in terms of those that abuse pain meds...but the correlation is significant and proven. Scary sh!t

Yea but who you gonna trust? A real doctor? Pfft. Or an Internet doctor who downplays the proven affects of weed yet has never tried it once and who boycotts smart phones even though they have been the norm for a decade and are an invaluable and convenient information tool.

Yea but who you gonna trust? A real doctor? Pfft. Or an Internet doctor who downplays the proven affects of weed yet has never tried it once and who boycotts smart phones even though they have been the norm for a decade and are an invaluable and convenient information tool.

:D

👮

As would anyone actually in the medical field

• Like 1