Sign in to follow this  
DonS

Has today's racial tension made you keep silent on what should be non-racial issue?

I work in downtown Seattle. On way to bus this evening I saw a guy parked in a car along a major downtown street. He was reclining in driver seat perhaps waiting for someone. I was surprised as this dude opened his door a crack to toss an empty potato chip bag into the street. There was a garbage can perhaps 20 feet away from his car. My initial reaction was to walk up to his car, pick up his trash, and asked him to put it in the focking garbage can. However, since I'm white and he's black I thought better of it and just kept walking. I hate not calling someone out for being a d1ck, but in today's world -- especially Seattle -- you never know what may trigger a racially tense situation.

Have any of you ever had to bite your tongue or react differently?

You should have punched him in the face in front of his wife and kids

You should have punched him in the face in front of his wife and kids

Do baby mamma's and kids he doesn't support count?

I work in downtown Seattle. On way to bus this evening I saw a guy parked in a car along a major downtown street. He was reclining in driver seat perhaps waiting for someone. I was surprised as this dude opened his door a crack to toss an empty potato chip bag into the street. There was a garbage can perhaps 20 feet away from his car. My initial reaction was to walk up to his car, pick up his trash, and asked him to put it in the focking garbage can. However, since I'm white and he's black I thought better of it and just kept walking. I hate not calling someone out for being a d1ck, but in today's world -- especially Seattle -- you never know what may trigger a racially tense situation.

Reparations. They don't have to throw their shlt away.

A few months ago a person in a Lexus tried to cut in front of me getting on a busy part of the interstate without their blinker on. I would have let them in had their blinker been on. Since they didn't, I cut them off numerous times. I'm an ahole driver if one doesn't follow rules. I finally relented and let her get over without her blinker. I was prepared to give this person the riot act for not using the blinker. Before we got to the intense stop, she rolled down the window. A black three year old in pig tails gave me the double bird while her mom cut me off. My dumb ass gave her the finger while mommy cut me off. Laughed my ass off.

Realized later how dumb that was. But also realized that had I done that with the wrong person, it could have escalated from the double bird to a gun.

When we got to the light, I blew them a kiss.

I honest to God want to ask this question, but would get killed for doing so.

Why is it 99% (conservatively) of pictures of (black) basketball players - doesn't matter - NBA, college, etc. - always look something like this:

https://thepaperwolf.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/lebron-21.jpg

I mean, damn near every single one.

WTF are 'they' doing?

I would never say something to someone about something like this. Black or white. My goal is to live every day to see my son. Going out of my way to say something to someone who could trigger because Mommy called them stupid once. No thanks. Im not doing anything that can endanger me. Period.
  • Like 1

I would never say something to someone about something like this. Black or white. My goal is to live every day to see my son. Going out of my way to say something to someone who could trigger because Mommy called them stupid once. No thanks. Im not doing anything that can endanger me. Period.

I actually watch it a lot for exactly the same reason since becoming a dad. Unless someone is getting hurt it's not worth it.

Yep. My only job is to be home safe for my little girls.

Im not intervening in shiit. Im not "stepping" to anyone, im not saying anything to anybody driving. If youre getting your ass kicked? Probably a good reason...not my problem.

No need to say anything, just stick the bag under his windshield wiper as you walk by. Just be prepared for the fallout.

I was at my local watering hole recently. One of the regulars, an older black lady named Millie, was telling me a story. She had gone to a church function where everybody was saying "Millie girl..." this and "Millie girl.." that. But when one particular white lady she didn't like called her "Millie girl", it was all of a sudden a "racist term".

As much as I wanted to ask her why it was racist for one person to say something that apparently everybody else was saying, I didn't. I realized there was no logical answer and I would only make her defensive, so I left it alone.

Sometimes you just have to let people be ass holes. :dunno:

• Like 1

Yep. My only job is to be home safe for my little girls.

Im not intervening in shiit. Im not "stepping" to anyone, im not saying anything to anybody driving. If youre getting your ass kicked? Probably a good reason...not my problem.

I might call the cops. But that's the extent of me helping. I don't want to sound like a bad citizen and five years ago I would have probably said something different. Now? fock you. Im armed and im still not getting into an argument with people or being the champion of people.

I like to squint my eyes at ARYAN people.

Er, I mean Asians.

:doh:

I like to squint my eyes at ARYAN people.

Er, I mean Asians.

:doh:

I'm just glad that you didn't eat my kats when you visited

I'm just glad that you didn't eat my kats when you visited

You are lucky that you love Kate and not dogs.

Yes, but not because of today's racial climate but the racial climate that has always been.

Yes, but not because of today's racial climate but the racial climate that has always been.

Please elaborate :)

Yes, part of my job is withdrawing students from school. The people I'm most lax with are black women who have attitude. White women I feel way more free to be a stickler about how the process (mostly done by the student) is meant to go down, and am.

But it's more cultural than strictly skin color related, because black women without that attitude/air I 'hold' to the same expectations, and also usually wind up enjoying chatting with more than anyone else.

Oh god, here we go again.

Thank God for climate change! :banana:

Newsflash: Black people with a bad attitude are MORE likely to go off on another black person than a white/latino/asian person.

I am more sensitive, more willing to bend my understanding, hold my tongue when a misunderstanding occurs or try not to be offended when a person of a different race offends me.

Why? Because the stereotype is that blacks are disagreeable, ignorant, uncultured, and loud. I try my best to be friendly and kind to help dispel those stereotypes.

I think each year life has been better and better for me as a black person.

White people are far more tolerable and open and more friendly today than ever before.

I grew up where white kids threw rocks at me or told me to go home and wash my dirty knees (my knees were not dirty, they are just colored dark at knees and elbows).

It's a different world people.

I actually watch it a lot for exactly the same reason since becoming a dad. Unless someone is getting hurt it's not worth it.

This ^^^.

All a confrontation is going to do is turn into a pissing match and possibly get somebody (or their property) hurt... And be real - they're going to keep on doing it... That problem was seeded way back - by parenting, or lack thereof.

I am very aware of staying far away from any racial convos. I don't even like discussing current trump events. It's a hypersensitive society we live in now

I honest to God want to ask this question, but would get killed for doing so.

Why is it 99% (conservatively) of pictures of (black) basketball players - doesn't matter - NBA, college, etc. - always look something like this:

https://thepaperwolf.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/lebron-21.jpg

I mean, damn near every single one.

WTF are 'they' doing?

Because you can't tell them apart?

Newsflash: Black people with a bad attitude are MORE likely to go off on another black person than a white/latino/asian person.

I am more sensitive, more willing to bend my understanding, hold my tongue when a misunderstanding occurs or try not to be offended when a person of a different race offends me.

Why? Because the stereotype is that blacks are disagreeable, ignorant, uncultured, and loud. I try my best to be friendly and kind to help dispel those stereotypes.

I think each year life has been better and better for me as a black person.

White people are far more tolerable and open and more friendly today than ever before.

I grew up where white kids threw rocks at me or told me to go home and wash my dirty knees (my knees were not dirty, they are just colored dark at knees and elbows).

It's a different world people.

Race relations ebb and flow, but things are certainly better now than 30-40 years ago. Media coverage of some events (esp. police violence directed at blacks) stirs the pot, and the anti-PC bluster encouraged by Trump et. al. makes previously private feelings more evident in the last few years, however.

To answer the OP, there is nothing about the current "climate" that has changed my behavior in situations where race might be considered a factor.

Shutting down speech, controlling speech is how the radical left shape and control societies. Political correctness is simply about control.

Race relations ebb and flow, but things are certainly better now than 30-40 years ago. Media coverage of some events (esp. police violence directed at blacks) stirs the pot, and the anti-PC bluster encouraged by Trump et. al. makes previously private feelings more evident in the last few years, however.

To answer the OP, there is nothing about the current "climate" that has changed my behavior in situations where race might be considered a factor.

My point was calling out someone for tossing their trash in the street doesn't have anything to do with race. I thought better of it because nowadays you never know what may be mis-interpreted just because of the fact that I'm white and the d1ckhead was black.

As others have mentioned, though, number one priority is not getting killed and making it home to the wife and kids.

Times have apparently changed. When I lived in GA 20 years ago this was not true in the slightest.

My point was calling out someone for tossing their trash in the street doesn't have anything to do with race. I thought better of it because nowadays you never know what may be mis-interpreted just because of the fact that I'm white and the d1ckhead was black.

As others have mentioned, though, number one priority is not getting killed and making it home to the wife and kids.

I understand, but like Peenie, I don't think the current state of race relations has changed/is volatile enough that my behavior is any different.

Exactly. You never know when being an @ss to a d1ck might equal you getting focked.

Exactly. You never know when being an @ss to a d1ck might equal you getting focked.

I don't know much in this crazy, crazy world, but I do know that if you don't let us fock this @sshole, we are going to have our d1cks and our poossays all covered in sh1t.