Sign in to follow this  
Sho Nuff

Electronics ban for travel...

Note to the hacks...this is not about Trump so save it...

Supposedly have some threat about laptop/tablet batteries being used as explosives.

So they ban laptops and anything bigger than an iphone for direct flights originating from 8 countries (ME of course).

And mostly only certain airlines that travel directly.

My questions...why is it safer to be checked and not carried on?

Why just those countries and those airlines and for direct flights vs. anything with a layover somewhere else?

Are we to believe people smart enough to make bombs out of batteries are not smart enough to avoid the countries and airlines in the ban?

Seems like an ineffective ban by the US and UK from the little I have seen.

I'll put it to you this way: You're an accountant. You can't think someone can understand accounting if they don't know basic math, right? You wouldn't t recommend that person doing their own taxes. You don't know basic security. I don't recommend you worry too much about these matters. Leave it to the experts.

Sounds to me like our Homeland Security team caught wind of a plan already in progress. Scary that they are going so far as to find ways to get little bombs on board, but good to know that we are ahead of them. At least this time.

Sounds to me like our Homeland Security team caught wind of a plan already in progress. Scary that they are going so far as to find ways to get little bombs on board, but good to know that we are ahead of them. At least this time.

So weird. It's almost as if we have determined certain countries have a proclivity to terrorism. Who would have thought?

So weird. It's almost as if we have determined certain countries have a proclivity to terrorism. Who would have thought?

And some people say that certain groups of people have a proclivity for terrorism. They may be on to something with this "probability" angle.

And some people say that certain groups of people have a proclivity for terrorism. They may be on to something with this "probability" angle.

Crazy talk.

My wife and I have a trip to Dubai in May and just got an email about this. We are currently on Emirates which is one of the listed Airlines (and UAE is one of the countries). Fock... may try to move to another airline if that helps. :wall:

I would think it's countries that our Homeland Security unit has determined have developed this technology. :dunno:

I would think it's countries that our Homeland Security unit has determined have developed this technology. :dunno:

Or countries that have developed this technology that we can't properly vet that we know want to kill us

Either one

My wife and I have a trip to Dubai in May and just got an email about this. We are currently on Emirates which is one of the listed Airlines (and UAE is one of the countries). Fock... may try to move to another airline if that helps. :wall:

Emirates is a very nice airline.

Emirates is a very nice airline.

Possibly found out about a plan in progress. Not just some blanket "Brown people are mean" philosophy. Big difference

Possibly found out about a plan in progress. Not just some blanket "Brown people are mean" philosophy. Big difference

Again...how does this help?

Bombproof cargo holds?

People can't get around to other countries and airlines?

Honestly wondering this

Again...how does this help?

Bombproof cargo holds?

People can't get around to other countries and airlines?

Honestly wondering this

From what we have gathered, the battery bombs cannot yet be set off remotely. The electronics need to be manned. So separating the devices from the perpetrators prevents them from blowing up the plane. (But not the airports, I'd imagine)

From what we have gathered, the battery bombs cannot yet be set off remotely. The electronics need to be manned. So separating the devices from the perpetrators prevents them from blowing up the plane. (But not the airports, I'd imagine)

Oh...doubt it's long before they figure that out either.

Man...thank goodness he didnt ban the most populous "brown people" countries and 90% could still enter.

Such dumb logic.

Psst...the tech is attached to the people. An electronics ban basically AGAIN tells you these countries are bad and we cant vet them.

Truly amazing.

Is this a business trip with a vacation on top or just a vacation?

Never flown Emirates, but lots of friends have. All said it is the best airline theyve ever been on.

Is this a business trip with a vacation on top or just a vacation?

Never flown Emirates, but lots of friends have. All said it is the best airline theyve ever been on.

Wife flew it to India a few years ago.

Business class on the way there bumped to first class on the way back.

Said it was quite nice. Gave everyone pajamas (in first class) and slippers. Own little compartment thing. Looked cool

Been looking at the Etihad flight she was supposed to take...Also looks great.

It's a good idea. When I was down range I talked to a couple of EOD guys. They were telling me some of the ways the people over there found new ways to make bombs. You can think they are stupid but they are some smart MFers. They'd find a way to take a dam soda can and turn it into a bomb. Something like laptop batteries would be a very easy way to create a bomb to blow up a plane

So you mean all that rigmarole where I take all my sh!t out of the bag so they can scan it is completely ineffective? Color me shocked.

When I fly, I have my laptop, Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, backup battery, vape, Bluetooth headset. Thats 7 Lion batteries. It's always fun.

It's a good idea. When I was down range I talked to a couple of EOD guys. They were telling me some of the ways the people over there found new ways to make bombs. You can think they are stupid but they are some smart MFers. They'd find a way to take a dam soda can and turn it into a bomb. Something like laptop batteries would be a very easy way to create a bomb to blow up a plane

So they are that smart...but not smart enough to go thru a country and or airline not on the list?

So they are that smart...but not smart enough to go thru a country and or airline not on the list?

Again, you know nothing about the concepts of security. Just leave it alone man.

A little harder for them to travel than it is to make a bomb with things you have around you. In their country they have the supplies and the people to get the bombs made. To go to different countries and acquire the materials as well as colleagues with resources is harder.

Saw a thing on Fox that said they intercepted some Syrian cyber intelligence linked to terror and put a freze on hand helds.

No stink from Democrats confirms there is a threat.

A little harder for them to travel than it is to make a bomb with things you have around you. In their country they have the supplies and the people to get the bombs made. To go to different countries and acquire the materials as well as colleagues with resources is harder.

Don't try logic. They don't operate on logical thinking. Just emotions like their Muslim feelings will be hurt so we can't ban them. I know I know. It's shocking that the same people that need therapy dogs and cry rooms operate off of emotion as opposed to logic but it's true.

1. The 2006 "Gel Bomb" plot involved using external (camera flash, etc) batteries as small as AAA to trigger a small sub-splosion - which would in turn trigger a big enough bomb to blow a hole through a commercial fuselage. The hole itself would not be tragic, bu the subsequent degradation of hull integrity would potentially cause a catastrophic event.

2. The 2010 plot involved using a mere 14oz of PETN triggered by a very small charge embedded in a printer cartridge to blow a hole in the cargo hold. A similar ban was put in place - and disaster averted of all cargo hold items.

With this in mind, I too, am curious about the difference between a detonation in ca5rgo vs. passenger. The best I can figure is that the charge would be enough to compromise fuselage integrity, but the difference being, cargo is not pressurized?

Still, with what we learned/know from #1 and #2, this plot seems most reasonable. Actually, far more reasonable than 2006. For which, the efficacy of such a plot has still yet to be proven conclusively.

1. The 2006 "Gel Bomb" plot involved using external (camera flash, etc) batteries as small as AAA to trigger a small sub-splosion - which would in turn trigger a big enough bomb to blow a hole through a commercial fuselage. The hole itself would not be tragic, bu the subsequent degradation of hull integrity would potentially cause a catastrophic event.

2. The 2010 plot involved using a mere 14oz of PETN triggered by a very small charge embedded in a printer cartridge to blow a hole in the cargo hold. A similar ban was put in place - and disaster averted of all cargo hold items.

With this in mind, I too, am curious about the difference between a detonation in ca5rgo vs. passenger. The best I can figure is that the charge would be enough to compromise fuselage integrity, but the difference being, cargo is not pressurized?

Still, with what we learned/know from #1 and #2, this plot seems most reasonable. Actually, far more reasonable than 2006. For which, the efficacy of such a plot has still yet to be proven conclusively.

Another one who doesn't know shiit from shinola. It's sad watching American "men" behave like this. You know, protecting the flock is in a mans DNA. Try getting in touch with that and maybe beat back your estrogen fueled psychosis.

It has to deal with how the bomb is. When I talked with the EOD guys and when in charge of transporting patients from overseas on planes the cargo has less of a risk for a bomb to go off. It has to actually have a timer on it or a barometer for it to explode when the plane gets to a certain altitude. With carry ons it's easier for them to trigger the bomb. So a laptop could do some serious damage when outfitted with a bomb. Plus in the cargo area you have the luggage guys handling the luggage so if they jar it when loading it then it could explode prematurely. You also have other luggage in the cargo area that can help dampen the blow. In th passenger area the bomb could blow a hole in the side of the place which will change the pressure in the cabin and also do other sorts of damage. Plus the checked baggage goes through more scrutiny than carry ons

They can leave their country...go to another that isn't on the list and make their way into a flight at some point to America.

That's the point...this only seems effective for a limited number of flights

Another one who doesn't know shiit from shinola. It's sad watching American "men" behave like this. You know, protecting the flock is in a mans DNA. Try getting in touch with that and maybe beat back your estrogen fueled psychosis.

facts really get your goat. Calm down old man. Those babies of yours will be fatherless at a young age already. Don't make it even sooner.

They can leave their country...go to another that isn't on the list and make their way into a flight at some point to America.

That's the point...this only seems effective for a limited number of flights

Yes they can however like I said it's harder for them to travel to another country like that to make their way over here. Not only would they have to go to another country, but they would also have to be able to find colleagues in that country who are established and also find the resources to make the explosive devices. You think the airlines will let someone travel to another country who is carrying thousands of dollars in cash? Especially one comin from a country that has none terrorist affiliations and the guy looks like a terrorist

They didn't include Sweden in this list.

With all the riots and explosions that have resulted in no one getting injured, you'd think that country should be banned too.

Don't try logic. They don't operate on logical thinking. Just emotions like their Muslim feelings will be hurt so we can't ban them. I know I know. It's shocking that the same people that need therapy dogs and cry rooms operate off of emotion as opposed to logic but it's true.

Dude...nobody is arguing or blaming anyone...no need for your usual

Yes they can however like I said it's harder for them to travel to another country like that to make their way over here. Not only would they have to go to another country, but they would also have to be able to find colleagues in that country who are established and also find the resources to make the explosive devices. You think the airlines will let someone travel to another country who is carrying thousands of dollars in cash? Especially one comin from a country that has none terrorist affiliations and the guy looks like a terrorist

True...more levels and more chances to get caught.

Just saying it lessens the effectiveness a bit and only from in bound.

Doesn't stop any domestic action of the same type it appears? Unless that has changed.

They didn't include Sweden in this list.

With all the riots and explosions that have resulted in no one getting injured, you'd think that country should be banned too.

Sweden is lost. RIP Sweden. England still has hope. Brexit

True...more levels and more chances to get caught.

Just saying it lessens the effectiveness a bit and only from in bound.

Doesn't stop any domestic action of the same type it appears? Unless that has changed.

Well there's only so much they can do. You can't eliminate it completely. But you can make it harder for them to do it

Perhaps come across with some facts. Otherwise, you just look like the attention-seeking troll we all know and ignore.

It has to deal with how the bomb is. When I talked with the EOD guys and when in charge of transporting patients from overseas on planes the cargo has less of a risk for a bomb to go off. It has to actually have a timer on it or a barometer for it to explode when the plane gets to a certain altitude. With carry ons it's easier for them to trigger the bomb.

Yeah, the 2010 plot involved stripping the phone down to pretty much nothing other than its timer. I mean, they apparently literally stripped everything - even welcome screen, much less other apps, backlighting, etc. just to get the batteries to last long enough to make it to the continental u.s. Never revealed was whether they were meant to the Jewish facilities to which they were addressed, more merely to blowing up en route.