Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2012 Masters Thread**

The Masters is just a little over a week away...for a few of us, it is just about our favorite sports weekend of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. So, to start off the Masters discussion, I thought I would list my top ten favorties for this year like I did last year. Should be a great tournament this year!

Top Ten:

1. Lee Westwood- I just think it's time. Best player in the world the last five years from tee to green. Just an average putter, though, which has left him just short in the past. I think Tiger/Rory will draw most of the attention while Lee steals the show.

2. Dustin Johnson- Yeah, I know DJ has lapses in concentration and judgment, but length helps at Augusta and he's got it in spades. Should be rested and ready to unleash a round or two in the mid-60s.

3. Rory McIlroy- Best player in the world over the last 12 months. Has all the shots. Wouldn't surprise me if he won, but I think he'll come up just short this time around.

4. Zach Johnson- I know I said length helps...and it does, but great putting helps as well and Johnson is masterful on the greens most of the time. Kind of darkhorse, but past champions at Augusta are always dangerous.

5. Tiger Woods- Big win at Bay Hill should boost confidence and he's got a tremendous track record at the Masters obviously. Still some holes in his game, though, and I think a top-five finish is about the best he'll do next week.

6. John Senden- Quiet guy who has quietly put together a terrific last 12 months. Few people know just how consistently good Senden has been. Don't be shocked to see him somewhere near the top of the leaderboard on the weekend.

7. Justin Rose- Played great on the Flordia Swing. Some putting woes, but otherwise his game is razor sharp right now. Should contend in 3 of 4 majors this year and I give him a 40% chance of winning one of them.

8. K.J. Choi- Have watched him at the Masters for several years now and I have been impressed at how he attacks the course. No reason he can't contend yet again in 2012.

9. Keegan Bradley- Yes, I know it's his first Masters, but this guy has the stuff to maybe win 3-5 majors before his career is over. Has played the course a bunch in preparation and is serious about winning majors.

10. Bubba Watson- Lefties generally do well at Augusta (see Mickelson, Weir), but Bubba tends to pick up double bogeys at the worst of moments, limiting his overall ability to win. A top ten, though, is well within reason.

Players outside of the top ten who have a very legitimate shot at winning: Phil Mickelson, Charl Schwartzel, Luke Donald, Webb Simpson, Hunter Mahan.

Highly ranked players who are off to slow start in 2012, but could catch lightning in a bottle for a week: Adam Scott, Jason Day, Nick Watney, Sergio Garcia, Bo Van Pelt, Martin Kaymer, Robert Karlsson.

Solid, tested players...wouldn't be a shocker if they won: Geoff Ogilvy, Brandt Snedeker, Graeme McDowell, Bill Haas, Francesco Molinari, Robert Garrigus, Peter Hanson, Matt Kuchar, Steve Stricker, Mark Wilson, Martin Laird, Alvaro Quiros, Johnson Wagner.

Guys who have a punchers chance, but would make for a somewhat shocking winner: Angel Cabrera, Fred Couples, Trevor Immelman, David Toms, Sean O'Hair, Lucas Glover, Fredrik Jacobson, Darren Clarke, Thomas Bjorn, Patrick Cantlay, Jason Dufner, Charles Howell III, Ben Crane, Ryo Ishakawa, Paul Lawrie, Rickie Fowler, Bae Sang-Moon, Vijay Singh, Ryan Palmer, Edoardo Molinari, Ross Fisher, Louis Oosthuzien, Paidrig Harrington, Stewart Cink, Y.E. Yang, Thomas Bjorn, Anders Hansen, Gary Woodland, Jonathan Byrd, Aaron Baddeley, Ian Poulter, Paul Casey, K.T. Kim, Jim Furyk, Simon Dyson, M.A. Jimenez, Rory Sabbatini, Kevin Na, Kyle Stanley, G.F. Castano.

Guys who have no real shot at winning from my perspective: Ben Crenshaw, Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize, Mark O'Meara, Bernhard Langer, J.M. Olazabal, Ian Woosnam, Mike Weir, Tom Watson, Craig Stadler, Henrik Stenson, Brendan Steele, Harrison Frazar, Kevin Chappell, Scott Stallings, Chez Reavie, Tim Clark, Scott Verplank, all amateurs not named Patrick Cantlay.

In 12 Masters appearances - Westwood has more missed cuts than he does top 10's. In a limited Masters portfolio - DJ has never finished higher than 30th.

Both are capable of winning all over the world - but I'd put Augusta National at the bottom of that list. Westwood and DJ are excellent ball strikers - unfortunately both are extremely eratic and inconsistent putters. Poor putters do not win green jackets - especially this year with the talent that is going to be there.

The converstation starts and ends with Tiger and Rory - anyone else winning (outside of phil) would be a bit of a suprise.

Hard not to put Luke Donald high on the list...I'm real geeked up about golf right now, psyched for the masters, with Tiger playing the way he is its gonna be a great tournament...

It's still way early - anything can happen to change things up, mostly the weather. If it rains and the course is soft - opens the door up for a whole group of players.

The Masters is just a little over a week away...for a few of us, it is just about our favorite sports weekend of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. So, to start off the Masters discussion, I thought I would list my top ten favorties for this year like I did last year. Should be a great tournament this year!

Top Ten:

1. Lee Westwood- I just think it's time. Best player in the world the last five years from tee to green. Just an average putter, though, which has left him just short in the past. I think Tiger/Rory will draw most of the attention while Lee steals the show.

2. Dustin Johnson- Yeah, I know DJ has lapses in concentration and judgment, but length helps at Augusta and he's got it in spades. Should be rested and ready to unleash a round or two in the mid-60s.

3. Rory McIlroy- Best player in the world over the last 12 months. Has all the shots. Wouldn't surprise me if he won, but I think he'll come up just short this time around.

4. Zach Johnson- I know I said length helps...and it does, but great putting helps as well and Johnson is masterful on the greens most of the time. Kind of darkhorse, but past champions at Augusta are always dangerous.

5. Tiger Woods- Big win at Bay Hill should boost confidence and he's got a tremendous track record at the Masters obviously. Still some holes in his game, though, and I think a top-five finish is about the best he'll do next week.

6. John Senden- Quiet guy who has quietly put together a terrific last 12 months. Few people know just how consistently good Senden has been. Don't be shocked to see him somewhere near the top of the leaderboard on the weekend.

7. Justin Rose- Played great on the Flordia Swing. Some putting woes, but otherwise his game is razor sharp right now. Should contend in 3 of 4 majors this year and I give him a 40% chance of winning one of them.

8. K.J. Choi- Have watched him at the Masters for several years now and I have been impressed at how he attacks the course. No reason he can't contend yet again in 2012.

9. Keegan Bradley- Yes, I know it's his first Masters, but this guy has the stuff to maybe win 3-5 majors before his career is over. Has played the course a bunch in preparation and is serious about winning majors.

10. Bubba Watson- Lefties generally do well at Augusta (see Mickelson, Weir), but Bubba tends to pick up double bogeys at the worst of moments, limiting his overall ability to win. A top ten, though, is well within reason.

Players outside of the top ten who have a very legitimate shot at winning: Phil Mickelson, Charl Schwartzel, Luke Donald, Webb Simpson, Hunter Mahan.

Highly ranked players who are off to slow start in 2012, but could catch lightning in a bottle for a week: Adam Scott, Jason Day, Nick Watney, Sergio Garcia, Bo Van Pelt, Martin Kaymer, Robert Karlsson.

Solid, tested players...wouldn't be a shocker if they won: Geoff Ogilvy, Brandt Snedeker, Graeme McDowell, Bill Haas, Francesco Molinari, Robert Garrigus, Peter Hanson, Matt Kuchar, Steve Stricker, Mark Wilson, Martin Laird, Alvaro Quiros, Johnson Wagner.

Guys who have a punchers chance, but would make for a somewhat shocking winner: Angel Cabrera, Fred Couples, Trevor Immelman, David Toms, Sean O'Hair, Lucas Glover, Fredrik Jacobson, Darren Clarke, Thomas Bjorn, Patrick Cantlay, Jason Dufner, Charles Howell III, Ben Crane, Ryo Ishakawa, Paul Lawrie, Rickie Fowler, Bae Sang-Moon, Vijay Singh, Ryan Palmer, Edoardo Molinari, Ross Fisher, Louis Oosthuzien, Paidrig Harrington, Stewart Cink, Y.E. Yang, Thomas Bjorn, Anders Hansen, Gary Woodland, Jonathan Byrd, Aaron Baddeley, Ian Poulter, Paul Casey, K.T. Kim, Jim Furyk, Simon Dyson, M.A. Jimenez, Rory Sabbatini, Kevin Na, Kyle Stanley, G.F. Castano.

Guys who have no real shot at winning from my perspective: Ben Crenshaw, Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize, Mark O'Meara, Bernhard Langer, J.M. Olazabal, Ian Woosnam, Mike Weir, Tom Watson, Craig Stadler, Henrik Stenson, Brendan Steele, Harrison Frazar, Kevin Chappell, Scott Stallings, Chez Reavie, Tim Clark, Scott Verplank, all amateurs not named Patrick Cantlay.

Great job with this. :thumbsup: I'm gonna pick Matt Kuchar as my sleeper.

Great job with this. :thumbsup: I'm gonna pick Matt Kuchar as my sleeper.

Kuchar was the amateur coming up the same time as Tiger right? maybe a year or two after tiger got on tour... Feel like he was either a US amateur champ, or was the highest amateur finisher in the US Open... something like that. Never did much since he got on tour

Kuchar was the amateur coming up the same time as Tiger right? maybe a year or two after tiger got on tour... Feel like he was either a US amateur champ, or was the highest amateur finisher in the US Open... something like that. Never did much since he got on tour

Yea Kuchar won the '97 US Am so he got to play in the 1998 US Open and Masters. Our Open was played at Olympic Club that year (the year p.stewart's ball rolled into a divot and he lost to janzen) - everywhere Kuchar went the crowd yelled "Kooch!" This kid is total class - Bobby Jones would love for him to win his tournament.

To fumble - not seeing westwood or dj. Not great masters track records and dj not playing great right now either

Kuchar was a slow starter but has been great the last 3 or so years. But I can't consider him a sleeper

I don't see Zach Johnson as any kind of threat/favorite either. His year so far has been rather medicore. Yes he's a great putter, but if you're ranked 99th in GIR's - your putter is keeping you above water, not contending most weeks.

Hopefully it is not someone douchy that wins.....which eliminates 95% of the field.

In 12 Masters appearances - Westwood has more missed cuts than he does top 10's. In a limited Masters portfolio - DJ has never finished higher than 30th.

Both are capable of winning all over the world - but I'd put Augusta National at the bottom of that list. Westwood and DJ are excellent ball strikers - unfortunately both are extremely eratic and inconsistent putters. Poor putters do not win green jackets - especially this year with the talent that is going to be there.

The converstation starts and ends with Tiger and Rory - anyone else winning (outside of phil) would be a bit of a suprise.

When it comes to golf, I respect your opinion as much or more than anybody. I know some of my picks are a little unconventional...some are based on hunches. The Westwood/Johnson/Johnson picks are hunches. Westwood played awfully well in 2010 and I think gained confidence that he could win at Augusta. Dustin is going to put together a dominant performance in a major at some point almost in spite of himself.

I would agree with Rory and Tiger, though. No one would argue with you there. I tend to think out of the box a little bit...you on the other hand are probably right on target. :thumbsup:

Always enjoy golf talk from you Fumble - and if Augusta has tought us anything it is that anybody can reach up and win. Nobody saw Mike Weir, Zach Johnson, T. Immelman, or Schwartzel coming. But this year has something we've not had in quite some time - real, big time fire power. For the first time in a few years we have a healthy and well-playing Tiger Woods, a battle tested US Open winner in Rory, and a slew of others playing at really high levels (phil, bradley, simpson, westwood, donald, watson, rose, mahan, mcdowell, snedeker). With all of this cream coming together at a peak, going to be hard for the also-rans to sneak in and steal one.

Not that I give him much of a shot, first time playing the event and all - but if anybody was ever built for Augusta National, it's Kyle Stanley. This dude flat out bombs it, has the coolest/calmest demeanor, hits it high, and can flat out roll the rock. If he can find a way to qualify for this event in the next couple of years - could be a name to remember.

With all due apologies to the great Euro players - fock'm, I want an American to win it damnit. I'd personally like to see Jason Dufner win it, still feeling bad for him at the PGA, and he's a cool dude. But I'd also love to see Kuchar or Mahan get it.

You're right fumble, those guys are fine hunch picks. I think I initially read your post less as hunch picks just because you had all the golfers lumped into groups and the groups were pretty cut and dry.

I'll toss out my top 10 in no certain order. My 10 picks if you will. Might edit them as round 1 draws closer.

Tigger Woods - pains me to put him here but he finally put 4 good rounds together at Bay Hill. Plus guys like Tiger and Phil could miss 5 cuts in a row with their games in shambles and be right in the hunt on the back 9 on Sunday at Augusta.

Rory McIlroy - almost too much of a no brainer pick. Had he NOT won the US Open I might have said the demons would be too fresh.

Phil Mickelson - as mentioned for Tiger, Augusta can solve any issues hes having with his game. But this year he has actually played well of late.

Adam Scott - Played well last year

Jason Day - i think his game really fits augusta. Hasn't played alot on the pga in 2012.

Hunter Mahan - Won the match play, seems to be in the hunt a lot at the Masters, very good putter and ball striker. How he handles up and downs will be key.

KJ Choi - Just plays well here and not one who lets pressure get to him.

Keegan Bradley - don't like him at all but have to admit he has grit and determination.

Justin Rose - everything Fumble said. If his putter gets hot, he has as good a chance as anyone.

Brandt Snedeker - already a winner on tour in 2012, I like him at Augusta.

Darkhorse - Sergio :ninja:

just missed - Bubba, Bill Haas and Webb

You're quite mistaken here. This kid has been one of the best players on tour the last two or three years. He has three PGA wins and made over $5M just in the last year and a half. He's better than you think. Lots of top 10's. I swear, every week he seems like he is in top 10. Hasn't won in awhile though.

I'll take Tiger, Keegan, and Webb. Y'all can have the field. :first:

I will add that I also like Snedeker and Rose as slight underdogs. And is Fred Couples playing? A Masters without Freddy is like a sandwhich without Miracle Whip.

I really wanted to hate Rory McIlroy. For some reason he just rubbed me the wrong way and I gravitated to not liking the kid. However I'm starting to see that he's not so bad afterall. Earlier this year he was in Miami and was at a NBA game pulling for the Heat. Then I see his girlfriend of which I was pleasantly suprised in his good taste. Now I see a picture of him sporting a Tar Heel hat. Dude's from Ireland, yet sports Carolina gear. Me and Rory seem to have the same tastes. He might not be so bad afterall.

Rory

2012 Masters Odds to Win - Who Will Win Masters?

Tiger Woods 4/1

Rory Mcilroy 7/1

Luke Donald 14/1

Phil Mickelson 14/1

Lee Westwood 14/1

Adam Scott 25/1

Nick Watney 28/1

Jason Day 28/1

Dustin Johnson 28/1

Webb Simpson 30/1

Sergio Garcia 30/1

Martin Kaymer 33/1

Charl Schwartzel 33/1

Rickie Fowler 40/1

Matt Kuchar 40/1

Justin Rose 40/1

Hunter Mahan 40/1

Anthony Kim 40/1

Steve Stricker 40/1

Bubba Watson 45/1

Geoff Ogilvy 50/1

KJ Choi 50/1

Paul Casey 50/1

Ian Poulter 60/1

Keegan Bradley 60/1

Matteo Manassero 60/1

Graeme Mcdowell 60/1

Brandt Snedeker 66/1

Bill Haas 66/1

Alvaro Quiros 66/1

Padraig Harrington 66/1

Angel Cabrera 66/1

Trevor Immelman 70/1

Robert Karlsson 70/1

Retief Goosen 70/1

Aaron Baddeley 80/1

Gary Woodland 80/1

Camilo Villegas 80/1

Jim Furyk 80/1

David Toms 80/1

Zach Johnson 80/1

Ryan Moore 80/1

YE Yang 80/1

Ernie Els 80/1

Francesco Molinari 90/1

Stewart Cink 100/1

Ben Crane 100/1

Bo Van Pelt 100/1

Fredrik Jacobson 100/1

Louis Oosthuizen 110/1

Peter Hanson 125/1

Ricky Barnes 125/1

Robert Allenby 125/1

Rory Sabbatini 125/1

Ross Fisher 125/1

Ryo Ishikawa 125/1

Sean Ohair 125/1

Tim Clark 125/1

Vijay Singh 125/1

Edoardo Molinari 125/1

Fred Couples 125/1

Henrik Stenson 125/1

Jeff Overton 125/1

Jonathan Byrd 125/1

Mark Wilson 125/1

Martin Laird 125/1

Miguel Angel Jimenez 125/1

Jason Dufner 125/1

Steve Marino 150/1

Anders Hansen 150/1

Darren Clarke 150/1

Davis Love III 150/1

Jhonattan Vegas 200/1

Arjun Atwal 300/1

Why does Els have Masters odds? Did he get a special invite?

Graeme Mcdowell 60/1

Ben Crane 100/1

Sean Ohair 125/1

:thumbsup:

Why does Els have Masters odds? Did he get a special invite?

Maybe somebody dropped out? I'm not sure.

But I'm laying down 10 bucks on Jason Dufner. He's always on the leader board at some point it seems. 1-125 is helluv a payout. Fear the SWAGGLE!@#!

Maybe somebody dropped out? I'm not sure.

But I'm laying down 10 bucks on Jason Dufner. He's always on the leader board at some point it seems. 1-125 is helluv a payout. Fear the SWAGGLE!@#!

someone dropping out doesn't help Ernie. He didn't qualify, it's not a matter of an open spot.

Since 1994, he's played in every Masters

Not sure the Masters history of inviting players that don't qualify. :dunno:

if Dufner could add spitting to his pre-shot routine he'd have a better chance.

someone dropping out doesn't help Ernie. He didn't qualify, it's not a matter of an open spot.

Since 1994, he's played in every Masters

Not sure the Masters history of inviting players that don't qualify. :dunno:

if Dufner could add spitting to his pre-shot routine he'd have a better chance.

Hootie Johnson can do and invite whomever the fock Hootie wants too. He runs the joint. If Hootie wants Ernie to play, then Ernies playin'.

Hootie Johnson can do and invite whomever the fock Hootie wants too. He runs the joint. If Hootie wants Ernie to play, then Ernies playin'.

so long as it's not a woman

Well, it's actually Billy Payne's call to make now. But yes, I think it would be pretty cool (and certainly warranted) if Chairman Payne extended a special invite to Ernie. By the same token, I'd totally understand if he did not as well. ........... If if his back is feeling well - I like Freddy over maybe all but 15 in the field next week.

Where did you get those odds? Kim, Manassero, Goosen, Villegas, Moore, Els, Barnes, Allenby, Overton, Marino, Love III, Vegas, and Atwal aren't even in the field...

Where did you get those odds? Kim, Manassero, Goosen, Villegas, Moore, Els, Barnes, Allenby, Overton, Marino, Love III, Vegas, and Atwal aren't even in the field...

Ha! Plus, if Keegan Bradley has 60-1 odds, I am throwing down $100 to make $6,000. :doublethumbsup:

I think ed meant that a special invite is different than someone simply dropping out and ernie being next in line.

I'm pulling for Ryan Palmer again. I mentioned his name a few years back and he led the first two days. He has all the parts of the game to do this , and the experience now. It is the longest of long shots, but boy would it pay, and he can golf. If he can't do it(and its a longshot) then I want Phil or Bubba to win. The other guy who I would love to see in the mix to win is Freddy!

I really wanted to hate Rory McIlroy. For some reason he just rubbed me the wrong way and I gravitated to not liking the kid. However I'm starting to see that he's not so bad afterall. Earlier this year he was in Miami and was at a NBA game pulling for the Heat. Then I see his girlfriend of which I was pleasantly suprised in his good taste. Now I see a picture of him sporting a Tar Heel hat. Dude's from Ireland, yet sports Carolina gear. Me and Rory seem to have the same tastes. He might not be so bad afterall.

Rory

I didn't think it was possible for me to dislike Rory McIlroy any more than I already did. :thumbsdown:

If eds odds are remotely right, there r a number of guys I like at 40 to 1

Absolutely. Kuchar and Stricker at 40-1 are nice return on your investment.

Also, Bubba Watson at 45-1.

not my #'s, but the top 10 or so seem legit.

Not sure why they have so many people not in the field :dunno:

last years field with this year's odds? :dunno:

I think this is Rory's to lose. He was crushing everybody last year until the giant melt down on Sunday, and with new found maturity I don't see that melt down coming back. He is clearly the best player in the world, the course suits him, and he is loaded with confidence. Look for him to win, take the #1 ranking back, and run with it for a long time.

Okay, I'm changing my mind a bit. Given the rich history of Spaniards at the Masters and the fact I really enjoy watching the guy play golf - I'd be totally okay with Serg pulling this one off too. Crenshaw said he had H. Pennick in his bag when he pulled the '95 Masters out of his ass - maybe Seve can do a little something for Sergio.

I think this is Rory's to lose. He was crushing everybody last year until the giant melt down on Sunday, and with new found maturity I don't see that melt down coming back. He is clearly the best player in the world, the course suits him, and he is loaded with confidence. Look for him to win, take the #1 ranking back, and run with it for a long time.

That is certainly a distinct possibility. I won't argue about him being the best player in the world at the present time. He most certainly is.

I think this is Rory's to lose....the course suits him...

Boy does this course ever........ Interesting tidbit: What do Jack, Tiger, and Rory all have in common that's rare on tour? They all play with the interlock grip.

Boy does this course ever........ Interesting tidbit: What do Jack, Tiger, and Rory all have in common that's rare on tour? They all play with the interlock grip.

Wow, I hadn't realized that. I tried it, and I just don't like it. Maybe I should address it again if maybe the best 2 golfers ever use it, and Rory has a chance to join that conversation, time will tell.

Boy does this course ever........ Interesting tidbit: What do Jack, Tiger, and Rory all have in common

they all have black fathers

they all have black fathers

Ha, all but Tiger I think.

I actually like and use the interlock grip myself, on full shots anyways. It gives me a sense of stability bcoz the hands are physically locked together - are always working as one. With the overlap grip the right hand is completely free, often coming off in parts during the swing - as well as I notice the club twists a bit more.