Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2012 Masters Thread**

Absolutely. Kuchar and Stricker at 40-1 are nice return on your investment.

Also, Bubba Watson at 45-1.

I was looking at mahan and rise as well

Ha, all but Tiger I think.

I actually like and use the interlock grip myself, on full shots anyways. It gives me a sense of stability bcoz the hands are physically locked together - are always working as one. With the overlap grip the right hand is completely free, often coming off in parts during the swing - as well as I notice the club twists a bit more.

I used to use 10 finger when I was younger. Switched to interlocking before highsxhool. Love it

Boy does this course ever........ Interesting tidbit: What do Jack, Tiger, and Rory all have in common that's rare on tour? They all play with the interlock grip.

great tidbit!

Another big name who plays with the interlock grip - Luke Donald.

Baseball was my sport of choice as a kid. I've played it since I was 5 years old, all through school, and now that I'm older I play softball. I haven't missed a season of somekind of baseball/softball for 30 years now.

I didn't pick up a golf club until age 25. When I did it was with a 10 finger grip. I really don't know anyway else to swing a stick. I've tried both the interlock and overlap and it simply feels way to awkward. I really think this may be why I'm stuck as a high 80's even low 90's golfer. Everybody I play with says my swing is great. I have no 'hitches' like a lot of amateurs. I have a very quiet and smooth swing on usually a very good plane. I've been told I have a very 'natural' golf swing....yet I suck at golf (in my own eyes).

I blame it on my grip. But after 30 years of swinging a stick that way, I don't think I can change.

Sorry to derail the thread, but we were talking about grips. :unsure:

I blame it on my grip. But after 30 years of swinging a stick that way, I don't think I can change.

I think there a whole slew of golfers who'd benefit from using the 10 finger grip over what they are using. It does 3 things: stabilizes the club, helps you considerably square up the face at impact, and it enables you to maximize speed thru the hitting zone. The downside is it also can be a bit harder to control and more often than not, you will develope a pretty big hook. The problem most have that try it is that bcoz it feels like a baseball bat in their hand, they automatically tense up and grip the club to death like it actually was a bat. Even with 10 fingers who have to handle it as if you were holding hands with a small child - gentle pressure............ I tell anymore looking to gain an extra club or 10 yards off the tee - go to a 10 finger grip and instantly you can achieve this.

Baseball was my sport of choice as a kid. I've played it since I was 5 years old, all through school, and now that I'm older I play softball. I haven't missed a season of somekind of baseball/softball for 30 years now.

I didn't pick up a golf club until age 25. When I did it was with a 10 finger grip. I really don't know anyway else to swing a stick. I've tried both the interlock and overlap and it simply feels way to awkward. I really think this may be why I'm stuck as a high 80's even low 90's golfer. Everybody I play with says my swing is great. I have no 'hitches' like a lot of amateurs. I have a very quiet and smooth swing on usually a very good plane. I've been told I have a very 'natural' golf swing....yet I suck at golf (in my own eyes).

It was very hard for me, even though I was only like 13 at the time, to switch from 10 finger to interlock. And now after 12 or so years of interlock, I would have a hard time switching back. I'd you really want to make the switch, start with your chips. It will be easy to get used to a shorter motion. Then work you way up from there.

But I doubt your grip is holding.you back. Unless accuracy is your big issue. Mist likely its simply the lack of time we get.to put in our games.

I used to be a high 70's but now that I play less and less I'm more of a low to mid 80's if I'm being honest with myself.

I'll be there for Monday's practice rounds - can't wait!! :banana:

Also, ATT UVERSE is also offering a few channels with enhanced coverage. I think they're free, but dunno for sure.

I'll be there for Monday's practice rounds - can't wait!! :banana:

Also, ATT UVERSE is also offering a few channels with enhanced coverage. I think they're free, but dunno for sure.

Damn, extremely jealous!

And good, I have U-verse - will look into it. :thumbsup:

I'd put Bradley higher.

Sandy Lyle wins though.

I've used the 10finger grip all of my life. My right pinky is basically pinching my left index finger's skin though. I try to keep it as tight as possible.... :unsure: .....I've tried the others, but I just feel like I don't have enough control. I sort of wish I had changed the grip while I was a young'n. I shoot pretty well though. If I didn't have such an over-swing I would be much more accurate and be a single digit handicapper. That is my flaw, the grip doesn't matter THAT much. Having such a long back swing doesn't help the baseball grip though, as my hands sometimes slip away from eachother at the top. I know a 10 handicapper (native american) who literally has his hands spread apart from eachother as if it was a hockey stick. That is about as good as he will get, but he is consistent with what he does.

That is my flaw, the grip doesn't matter THAT much.

I woud say what kind of grip you chose doesn't really matter. But I'd definitely say the grip matters, it's one of the most important things in golf - mostly bcoz it's your only connection to the golf club............. Harvey Pennick was a big on the grip - addressing it often in his books. He was famous for saying the last thing you want if you have a bad swing is a good grip.

I woud say what kind of grip you chose doesn't really matter. But I'd definitely say the grip matters, it's one of the most important things in golf - mostly bcoz it's your only connection to the golf club............. Harvey Pennick was a big on the grip - addressing it often in his books. He was famous for saying the last thing you want if you have a bad swing is a good grip.

Thats what I meant. The type between overlap, interlock, and baseball doesn't matter that much. Whatever is most comfortable and functional for you is probably best.

Thats what I meant. The type between overlap, interlock, and baseball doesn't matter that much. Whatever is most comfortable and functional for you is probably best.

I didn't know him personally, but I used to play against this kid in h.s. - he was from another school. He actually gripped the club with his left hand low - and totally swung that way. To top it off, the kid was good - regularly shot in the 70's. I still don't know how in the F he pulled that off. :unsure:

I'd put Bradley higher.

Sandy Lyle wins though.

I've used the 10finger grip all of my life. My right pinky is basically pinching my left index finger's skin though. I try to keep it as tight as possible.... :unsure: .....I've tried the others, but I just feel like I don't have enough control. I sort of wish I had changed the grip while I was a young'n. I shoot pretty well though. If I didn't have such an over-swing I would be much more accurate and be a single digit handicapper. That is my flaw, the grip doesn't matter THAT much. Having such a long back swing doesn't help the baseball grip though, as my hands sometimes slip away from eachother at the top. I know a 10 handicapper (native american) who literally has his hands spread apart from eachother as if it was a hockey stick. That is about as good as he will get, but he is consistent with what he does.

:rolleyes:

I didn't know him personally, but I used to play against this kid in h.s. - he was from another school. He actually gripped the club with his left hand low - and totally swung that way. To top it off, the kid was good - regularly shot in the 70's. I still don't know how in the F he pulled that off. :unsure:

Didn't Harvey also say beware of the player with the bad swing, because if he made it to this level with it, he knew how to use it!

I'd put Bradley higher.

Sandy Lyle wins though.

cross your top hand pinkie and bottom hand index fingers, point thumbs straight down the spine, overlap top thumb with lower hand palm...

worst thing for a golf game is playing baseball/softball...

for someone who doesn't put in the shortgame practice, 80's golf is pretty damn good...

I have the opposite problem. I can't pull a softball to left because I have an inside out golf swing. I hit everything high and to right center.

I know this 300lb guy at the local club who said that is how he swung the club when he was younger. He was a good golfer, more so on and around the greens (great bowler). Didn't anymore obviously but said he did it through high school.

Also knew a guy who played from both sides of the ball. He would go out in the morning and shoot 77 left handed and in teh afternoon he would shoot 75 from the right side. I think was a 4 handi from the right and a 6 from the left. Didn't really understand how that could happen. It isn't baseball.

for someone who doesn't put in the shortgame practice, 80's golf is pretty damn good...

I won't disagree that playing a lot of baseball or softball will your your golf swing

But the baseball swing translates very well to golf. You will have a much easier time picking up the game of golf.if you have a baseball background.

A really good drill to work in your release point is to take your club and make a few baseball swings before you tee off or any time you are fighting a slice or push.

Didn't Harvey also say beware of the player with the bad swing, because if he made it to this level with it, he knew how to use it!

Yes, and there was a specific story he referenced in his Red book......... Basically Harvey had the UT golf team at an event - one of his star players came up to talk to him. Said he wasn't worried about his match bcoz his opponent had a really bad grip. Harvey asked him if his swing was also bad and the kid said yes. The next day Harvey's confident player got his ass handed to him - Harvey told the kid after that: Don't worry about a player with a good grip and a bad swing, or a player with a bad grip and a good swing - but always worry about a player with a bad grip and a bad swing.

I guess I'm lucky in that I'm a natural born range-rat, flat out love practicing. Going tonight in fact - prolly spend 30 minutes hitting balls and then 1 1/2 hours chipping and putting.

I guess I'm lucky in that I'm a natural born range-rat, flat out love practicing. Going tonight in fact - prolly spend 30 minutes hitting balls and then 1 1/2 hours chipping and putting.

I haven't been to the range in a year and I only play about 2-3 times per month, yet I've managed to break 80 four times in that span. :banana:

I haven't been to the range in a year and I only play about 2-3 times per month, yet I've managed to break 80 four times in that span. :banana:

That's pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Lee Trevino has invested into our club (Diamond Oaks). Now that he's a part owner he is out there all the time playing. I have not played with him but on several times he's been either one or two groups ahead or behind me. He's stil really funny and he can still hit the ball. He plays the Blues - shot 2 under last Friday when I was out there.

Geek golf outing!

this has nothing to do with the masters but if any of you golf nuts care, i had an amex gift card laying around from some work event and i used it toward the purchase of a Rocketballz driver. Now the 3 wood is really where its at but i already have a 3 wood that i love and bomb and ive been looking at drivers for a while now.

love the club. definitely longer than my ft-3 and more forgiving as well. I really doubt i will play much with the adjustments but may put it like half a degree closed. Didn't really like the whole TM white crown concept at first but its growing on me. Love the Ozik shaft. I went with the tour head which has a little deeper face, 9* Stiff. Can be adjusted from 7.5 to 10.5 which also opens and closes the face a bit.

this has nothing to do with the masters but if any of you golf nuts care, i had an amex gift card laying around from some work event and i used it toward the purchase of a Rocketballz driver. Now the 3 wood is really where its at but i already have a 3 wood that i love and bomb and ive been looking at drivers for a while now.

love the club. definitely longer than my ft-3 and more forgiving as well. I really doubt i will play much with the adjustments but may put it like half a degree closed. Didn't really like the whole TM white crown concept at first but its growing on me. Love the Ozik shaft. I went with the tour head which has a little deeper face, 9* Stiff. Can be adjusted from 7.5 to 10.5 which also opens and closes the face a bit.

That's awesome that you got the Rocketballz. I have a McGregor that I like alot and my club has a "sample club" program and I played a round with the R11 and I just didn't like it very much. I'm not big on the white either but I got used to it. Heck, let it be pink as long as I can hit it down the middle 275 yrds. I'm a 17 but playing like a 25 so far this year. Barely broke 100 last week and embarrassed myself about the greens. It's amazing some days you have it and other days its like you never played the game before. Lets set up a Geek Golf Weekend

Geek golf outing!

I swear to God. I didnt even see your post when I wrote the same thing just now. Holy crap. Except I got greedy and made it a weekend.

A really good drill to work in your release point is to take your club and make a few baseball swings before you tee off or any time you are fighting a slice or push.

very true, get that wrist pronation.

That's awesome that you got the Rocketballz. I have a McGregor that I like alot and my club has a "sample club" program and I played a round with the R11 and I just didn't like it very much. I'm not big on the white either but I got used to it. Heck, let it be pink as long as I can hit it down the middle 275 yrds. I'm a 17 but playing like a 25 so far this year. Barely broke 100 last week and embarrassed myself about the greens. It's amazing some days you have it and other days its like you never played the game before. Lets set up a Geek Golf Weekend

My buddy won a free, brand new Rocketballz driver and he wasn't digging it too much. Wanted me to buy it but I really wasn't crazy about it either. I am curious about the 3 wood though - have not hit it. I'm currently playing the Ping G10 driver and 3 wood - and I love them. I personally think the G10 is Pings best set of woods to date. I also have the Graphite Design YS-6+ shafts in them, it's just a perfect match for me. But the quest for extra yards is never ending - will still give the Rocketballz 3wood a look.

My buddy won a free, brand new Rocketballz driver and he wasn't digging it too much. Wanted me to buy it but I really wasn't crazy about it either. I am curious about the 3 wood though - have not hit it. I'm currently playing the Ping G10 driver and 3 wood - and I love them. I personally think the G10 is Pings best set of woods to date. I also have the Graphite Design YS-6+ shafts in them, it's just a perfect match for me. But the quest for extra yards is never ending - will still give the Rocketballz 3wood a look.

They've capped the MOI on drivers right? You really aren't getting a ton more technology in the clubhead, which is why I'm guessing they've turned the tech towards adjustibility...

I have a bertha diablo driver 9degree and a burner 3w think its a 15d, love both of them... Awesome clubs, i have nike hybrids, which are decent, could probably upgrade but i don't end up hitting them a ton... I have a graphite shafted 4 hybrid that the shaft is too whippy, so i keep it in the bag, I have a steel shafted 3 hybrid that i play very well...

My big thing this past winter was to regrip everything in the golf pride new decade multicompounds... Really like the grips, had never regripped before ever, stock 7 yr old grips on everything lol..

Really like the grips, had never regripped before ever, stock 7 yr old grips on everything lol..

:shocking: :lol: :shocking:

I love the driver so far. It has a really nice feel and look at address and despite being a little light for my tastes, I can still feel where the clubhead is with the added benefit of being able to really crank it.

Like I said the three wood is a beast but I already bomb my fusion and I didn't feel like messing with it.

:shocking: :lol: :shocking:

never lost a club or anything, i wear a golf glove... Never been an issue... didn't know what i was missing...

I love the driver so far. It has a really nice feel and look at address and despite being a little light for my tastes, I can still feel where the clubhead is with the added benefit of being able to really crank it.

You know I also swung a buddy of mine's new Speed Line - the one with the white head. Have you swung that one yet? Omg, the damn thing feels like its 40 grams - a freaking flyswatter.

Have not tested that cruzer, ill look for it next time in ducking around at golf galaxy on my lunch break.

The Cleveland classic, despite being ugly as bell, has a great feel as well.

Another big name who plays with the interlock grip - Luke Donald.

I had to think about this for a moment. I was thinking that this was news but don't most golfers play with the intelock grip? That's the only way I learned and figured most pros do as well. No?

I had to think about this for a moment. I was thinking that this was news but don't most golfers play with the intelock grip? That's the only way I learned and figured most pros do as well. No?

No, in fact I'd say the % of touring pros who use the overlap grip is about 75%. I guess normally people don't notice - it's the first thing I look at when I see a player for the fist time. Surprisingly, I'd say 60% of women golfers use the overlap grip on the LPGA tour as well. Harry Vardon's contribution to the game is still going strong.

so to get this back to Master talk, whats golf's/finchem's/augusta's dream scenario for Sunday? what's yours?

im thinking a Tiger/Rory final pairing with Phil and Freddy in the penultimate group. obviously lots of fireworks. Or is a Tiger Phil final pairing still better? I don't think it matters much. Any combination of those 4 in the last two groups would be golf theater at it's finest.

wouldnt mind seeing tiger get to 18 needing birdie to tie phils clubhouse lead and lipping out for the loss :overhead:

No, in fact I'd say the % of touring pros who use the overlap grip is about 75%. I guess normally people don't notice - it's the first thing I look at when I see a player for the fist time. Surprisingly, I'd say 60% of women golfers use the overlap grip on the LPGA tour as well. Harry Vardon's contribution to the game is still going strong.

Wow. You taught me something there. Thats quite surprising to me. I thought everybody had the interlocking grip. Interesting.