Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2012 Masters Thread**

Any early weekend forecast?

Chance of thunderstorms on Thursday and Friday. Sunny on the weekend. Around 80 for all except Friday, a little cooler that day. :thumbsup:

Alright Golf Geeks, I need yo help. I'm in a Masters draft/pool. It's 50 bucks a man and there are eight of us. We be pulling a draft order out of a hat and drafting four golfers (snake draft) each. I have no idea what draft position I have but I need to make a cheat sheet of the top 32 as I'd love to win the $400 prize pool. :thumbsup:

Some of you schmoes actually seem to know what you are talking about so I'm all ears. :headbanger:

Right now I'm starting out like this.

1. Tiger :wub:

2. Rory

3. Keegan Bradley

4. Lefty

5. Lee Westwood

6. Adam Scott

7. Jason Day

8. Luke Donald

9. Webb Simpson

10. Nick Watney

11. Dustin Johnson

Anthing wrong with this start? I need the next best 21 too. Considering alot of us like fantasy football drafts and what not I thought this might be fun to make a cheatsheet. And help me out too of course. :unsure:

My top 15 looks something like this:

1. Tiger

2. Rory

3. Mickelson

4. L. Donald

5. K. Bradley

6. A. Scott

7. S. Garcia

8. L. Westwood

9. H. Mahan

10. J. Rose

11. W. Simpson

12. N. Watney

13. J. Dufner

14. J. Day

15. E. Molinari

Chance of thunderstorms on Thursday and Friday. Sunny on the weekend. Around 80 for all except Friday, a little cooler that day. :thumbsup:

:banana:

Alright Golf Geeks, I need yo help. I'm in a Masters draft/pool. It's 50 bucks a man and there are eight of us. We be pulling a draft order out of a hat and drafting four golfers (snake draft) each. I have no idea what draft position I have but I need to make a cheat sheet of the top 32 as I'd love to win the $400 prize pool. :thumbsup:

Some of you schmoes actually seem to know what you are talking about so I'm all ears. :headbanger:

2. Rory

3. Keegan Bradley

4. Lefty

5. Lee Westwood

6. Adam Scott

7. Jason Day

8. Luke Donald

9. Webb Simpson

10. Nick Watney

11. Dustin Johnson

Anthing wrong with this start? I need the next best 21 too. Considering alot of us like fantasy football drafts and what not I thought this might be fun to make a cheatsheet. And help me out too of course. :unsure:

You're prolly just best off going on a gambling website or something and just going with the top odds on that. A little cheesy but whatev.

Also, how does your draft work? I'm thinking about organizing something with my buddies. Like how does the scoring for it work and such?

2. Rory

3. Keegan Bradley

4. Lefty

5. Lee Westwood

6. Adam Scott

7. Jason Day

8. Luke Donald

9. Webb Simpson

10. Nick Watney

11. Dustin Johnson

i think you need hunter mahan on this list. i know its tough to win back to back and it would be his 3rd win of the year but he is playing some great golf. he is the best driver on tour and is really hitting it great tee to green and putting very well.

id slot hunter maybe right after bradley and lefty. i like him better than keegan but i know you are high on keegan... unless the other 7 guys dont want him and he lasts until round 2 :dunno:

Also, how does your draft work? I'm thinking about organizing something with my buddies. Like how does the scoring for it work and such?

We're not really putting to much thought into it. It was sort of a last minute thing we thought up while four of us were playing golf over the weekend.

8 guys, four round snake draft. Four golfers each. Whomever's golfer wins the Masters gets the money. If a golfer not drafted wins then the prize pool carries over to the next major. Just like a Skins hole carries over if nobody wins it. :music_guitarred:

That's pretty much it. We're keeping it simple.

Are young Americans like Rickie Fowler, Bubba, Watney, Dustin Johnson ever going to win a major?

Are young Americans like Rickie Fowler, Bubba, Watney, Dustin Johnson ever going to win a major?

Fowler - needs to worry about winning a regular tour event before any major nonsense is brought up. Always seems to have one blow up day, can never put 4 rounds 2gether

Bubba - (common theme w/fowler & dj too) Streaky putters tend to struggle in majors. Bubba also admits to having anxiety and nerve issues in big moments. The British Open and PGA would best fit him.

DJ - Has the game to win any of the 4, but short putts bite him in the ass at the worst times. I think he will win one some day.

Watney - of the 4, the most suited and polished to win a major(s). Has no real glaring flaws, is right there if he can maybe tighten up his short game. Calm demeanor and incredible ball striking skills are perfect for any major.

short answer, yes

longer answer, as cruzer said fowler needs to win something period. DJ can and will win multiple majors. Bubba can do it too. Watney is polished but not as talented as the other two. Still talented in his own right

We're not really putting to much thought into it. It was sort of a last minute thing we thought up while four of us were playing golf over the weekend.

8 guys, four round snake draft. Four golfers each. Whomever's golfer wins the Masters gets the money. If a golfer not drafted wins then the prize pool carries over to the next major. Just like a Skins hole carries over if nobody wins it. :music_guitarred:

That's pretty much it. We're keeping it simple.

we should do something like this here

My top 15 looks something like this:

15. E. Molinari

Talk to me here. Top 15 really?

Talk to me here. Top 15 really?

I guess my question in response would be, why not?

* 2005 US Amateur champion

* 2010 Euro Ryder Cup member

* 11th place finish in 2011 Masters

* 70.21 scoring average, lowest of his career

* Avg. 28.9 putts per round

Eduardo is a superior iron player and considered a very good putter. Isn't a monster off of the tee but is plenty long enough. He has had more success at Augusta than both Webb Simpson and Dustin Johnson (who you have in your top 11). And unlike the US Open, foreigners have faired extremely well in the Masters tournament. Law of averages says one, two, maybe even 4 European players will be in the hunt come Sunday - why not one who finished 11th last year in the event?

I guess my question in response would be, why not?

* 2005 US Amateur champion

* 2010 Euro Ryder Cup member

* 11th place finish in 2011 Masters

* 70.21 scoring average, lowest of his career

* Avg. 28.9 putts per round

Eduardo is a superior iron player and considered a very good putter. Isn't a monster off of the tee but is plenty long enough. He has had more success at Augusta than both Webb Simpson and Dustin Johnson (who you have in your top 11). And unlike the US Open, foreigners have faired extremely well in the Masters tournament. Law of averages says one, two, maybe even 4 European players will be in the hunt come Sunday - why not one who finished 11th last year in the event?

So you're saying he's the new Jose Maria Olazabel who won two green jackets. I'm sold. He just moved from 29th to 24th on my cheatsheet. :thumbsup:

So you're saying he's the new Jose Maria Olazabel who won two green jackets. I'm sold. He just moved from 29th to 24th on my cheatsheet. :thumbsup:

Ha, well now I would never say that - Oli was pretty special. But I follow the Euro tour too and he (as well as his brother) are battle tested and capable with playing with anybody we have over here. Heading into Masters week everyone tends to focus on how long the golf course is and push the bombers to the top. Me, not so much. Augusta National is a shot-makers paradise, and Jones intended it to be that way. It's primarily why he designed the course with no rough in mind. Mr. Jones wanted to find out who the best ball striker and putter was - Molinari fits the mold.

This is so much fun. I have an excel spreadsheet cheat sheet going now. Here is my first spit ball list. Top 38. I threw in a couple extra just in case. Who am I missing? Who is ranked to high or low?

Tiger

Rory

Keegan

Lefty

A.Scott

Westwood

L.Donald

J.Day

Mahan

J.Rose

Webb

Watney

Sergio

Charl Schwartzel

Dustin Johnson

Bubba Watson

Bill Haas

Brandt Snedeker

Grahame McDowell

Steve Stricker

Matt Kuchar

Anthony Kim

Zach Johnson

Edoardo Molinari

Ian Poulter

KJ Choi

Jason Dufner

Johnanthon Byrd

Rickey Fowler

Rickey Barnes

Jeff Overton

Matteo Manassero

Paul Casey

Geoff Ogilvy

Alvaro Quiros

Ryo Ishikawa

Ross Fisher

Sean O'Hair

:headbanger:

This is so much fun. I have an excel spreadsheet cheat sheet going now. Here is my first spit ball list. Top 38. I threw in a couple extra just in case. Who am I missing? Who is ranked to high or low?

Tiger

Rory

Keegan

Lefty

A.Scott

Westwood

L.Donald

J.Day

Mahan

J.Rose

Webb

Watney

Sergio

Charl Schwartzel

Dustin Johnson

Bubba Watson

Bill Haas

Brandt Snedeker

Grahame McDowell

Steve Stricker

Matt Kuchar

Anthony Kim

Zach Johnson

Edoardo Molinari

Ian Poulter

KJ Choi

Jason Dufner

Johnanthon Byrd

Rickey Fowler

Rickey Barnes

Jeff Overton

Matteo Manassero

Paul Casey

Geoff Ogilvy

Alvaro Quiros

Ryo Ishikawa

Ross Fisher

Sean O'Hair

i think you have Charl too high. has he really been playing that great and what are the odds of someone like him going back to back? Tiger, Phil, Rory sure but Charl defending a masters title? On that basis alone I would probably avoid drafting him.

I might add Oosty to the list. showed well at the Shell Houston, has won a major

I'd bump KJ Choi up a bit.

Whens the last time Anthony Kim played well? :dunno:

Angel Cabrera might be a sneaky guy to add the the end of the list

I'm so geeked about the Masters that over the weekend I bought six blooming Azalea bushes and planted them at the tree line in my back yard. I'm trying to get the back yard looking like freaking Agusta back there. :headbanger:

Something like this:

My backyard one day

Tiger

Rory

Keegan

Lefty

A.Scott

Westwood

L.Donald

J.Day

Mahan

J.Rose

Webb

Watney

Sergio

Charl Schwartzel

Dustin Johnson

Bubba Watson

Bill Haas

Brandt Snedeker

Grahame McDowell

Steve Stricker

Matt Kuchar

Anthony Kim

Zach Johnson

Edoardo Molinari

Ian Poulter

KJ Choi

Jason Dufner

Johnanthon Byrd

Rickey Fowler

Rickey Barnes

Jeff Overton

Matteo Manassero

Paul Casey

Geoff Ogilvy

Alvaro Quiros

Ryo Ishikawa

Ross Fisher

Sean O'Hair

I would take those 3 names off of my list. A. Kim is playing like ass right now - w/d from the Shell Houston open last week after shooting 79 on day 1. His last round before that was the final Sunday at Bay Hill, fired a smooth 83 then. For the year Kim has only made the cut in 2 of his 8 starts........... P. Casey has shown some flashes in the past 12 months, but his game is still very unstable and rusty - not sure he still isn't suffering from some of the effects of his 2009 rib injury....... G. Ogilvy - pfft, everyone talks about the M. Campbell, Rich Beem, Shaun Micheel, and Trevor Immelman's of the world - if anyone has ever dissappeared after winning a major it is Geoff Ogilvy - what has this dude done since his US Open gift? I'd move S. O'Hair up for sure.

I would take Kim, Manassero, Overton, and Barnes off the list...considering they're NOT even in the tournament.

As for Ogilvy, I would generally agree, but he darn near won the Masters last year with an incredible back nine. Easy to forget that.

I'd throw Aaron Baddley in there about 15-20.

I agree that KJ Choi should be moved up as well.

Tiger

Rory

Keegan

Lefty

A.Scott

Westwood

L.Donald

J.Day

Mahan

J.Rose

Webb

Watney

Sergio

Charl Schwartzel

Dustin Johnson

Bubba Watson

Bill Haas

Brandt Snedeker

Grahame McDowell

Steve Stricker

Matt Kuchar

Anthony Kim

Zach Johnson

Edoardo Molinari

Ian Poulter

KJ Choi

Jason Dufner

Johnanthon Byrd

Rickey Fowler

Rickey Barnes

Jeff Overton

Matteo Manassero

Paul Casey

Geoff Ogilvy

Alvaro Quiros

Ryo Ishikawa

Ross Fisher

Sean O'Hair

I would take Kim, Manassero, Overton, and Barnes off the list...considering they're NOT even in the tournament.

Well, I guess if they are not playing then I prolly shouldn't have them listed, that would make sense now wouldn't it. :doh:

Thanks Fumble. And I hope you don't think I'm hijacking the Masters thread. I just thought a cheat sheet like this may add to the discussion of whom all has a good shot to win the tournament. :thumbsup:

So with all ya'lls help here is my updated rankings!@#! I know ya'll can't wait to see it. :unsure:

Tiger

Rory

Keegan

Lefty

A.Scott

Westwood

L.Donald

J.Day

Mahan

J.Rose

Webb

Watney

Sergio

Charl Schwartzel

Dustin Johnson

Bubba Watson

Bill Haas

Brandt Snedeker

Grahame McDowell

Steve Stricker

Matt Kuchar

Edoardo Molinari

KJ Choi

Ian Poulter

Jason Dufner

Zach Johnson

Johnanthon Byrd

Rickey Fowler

Sean O'Hair

Alvaro Quiros

Ryo Ishikawa

Ross Fisher

Louis Oosthaizen

Aaron Baddely

As for Ogilvy, I would generally agree, but he darn near won the Masters last year with an incredible back nine. Easy to forget that.

:thumbsup: Remember Ogilvy's back nine? I remember watching it and was like...:shocking:

He birdied 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 to shoot 31. Great stuff in a major.

What do u guys think of Johnson Wagner at 125-1?

I liked him before I saw his odds now I'm thinking of throwing 50 down on him.

Right now I'm looking at putting money on Hunter, Rose, Watson, Wagner and one of the favorites maybe Tiger as a break even hedge

So we ended up having our draft last night. One guy took Mike Weir in the 5th round. :doh:

My squad (8 guys, snake draft, choose 9 golfers. I picked 4th)

Lee Westwood

Bubba Watson

KJ Choi

Zach Johnson

Louis Oosthuizen

Robert Karlsson

Ben Crane

Mark Wilson

Scott Verplank

:dunno:

What do u guys think of Johnson Wagner at 125-1?

I liked him before I saw his odds now I'm thinking of throwing 50 down on him.

Right now I'm looking at putting money on Hunter, Rose, Watson, Wagner and one of the favorites maybe Tiger as a break even hedge

Honesly you know probably more than me, but I just wanted to chime in that I am really high on golfers or people in general that have two last names. It's cool. Therefore I'm a fan of Johnson Wagner even if I hardly know who the hell he is. :doublethumbsup:

I would like to point out though that I have friends you are big time gamblers. Bookies who travel all over the country. They don't work, they wager for a living. These guys are all over Jason Day and Keegan Bradley. Maybe it's because they were able to get good odds moreso than the actual golfers but just throwing it out there. :unsure:

So we ended up having our draft last night. One guy took Mike Weir in the 5th round. :doh:

My squad (8 guys, snake draft, choose 9 golfers. I picked 4th)

Lee Westwood

Bubba Watson

KJ Choi

Zach Johnson

Louis Oosthuizen

Robert Karlsson

Ben Crane

Mark Wilson

Scott Verplank

:dunno:

I like a few of your picks. Would have gone somewhere else instead of westwood I think but that's nitpicking. U did good to.get bubba and kj where u did.

Honesly you know probably more than me, but I just wanted to chime in that I am really high on golfers or people in general that have two last names. It's cool. Therefore I'm a fan of Johnson Wagner even if I hardly know who the hell he is. :doublethumbsup:

I would like to point out though that I have friends you are big time gamblers. Bookies who travel all over the country. They don't work, they wager for a living. These guys are all over Jason Day and Keegan Bradley. Maybe it's because they were able to get good odds moreso than the actual golfers but just throwing it out there. :unsure:

I like both of those guys as well even though Day hasn't played that great so far this yr.

Thing is if I keep throwing money down on all.the guys i like, ill end up wagering too much and bernhard langer will win the Damn thing :D

Golf wagering is tough like that. The fields are so deep.

Damn Fumble - you're right, add my name to the list of those who totally forgot about Ogilvy's finish last year in this event. He had been so blah for so long after Phil gift wrapped is title that I didn't even notice. I still do not like him, but no question he still has tons of talent if he could just get it together.

1st timers do not normally fair well at Augusta National, but there have been exceptions. I still like Kyle Stanley, I'd find a way to have him on my list.

I like both of those guys as well even though Day hasn't played that great so far this yr.

Dear God, somebody plueeeze get Day to cut his hair. Some guys can pull off long hair, he looks like an idiot.

I predict Tiger either wins this thing, chokes on Sunday, or has a bad first two rounds and pretends he's injured and withdrawals.

I predict Tiger either wins this thing, chokes on Sunday, or has a bad first two rounds and pretends he's injured and withdrawals.

I'm sure you will spin whatever happens into one of these buckets. :doublethumbsup:

But seriously, odds are, if history is any indicator that Tiger will either contend on Sunday and win it, or be like 6/7 shots back and vault up to a top 5 finish. He simply plays well at Augusta.

Dear God, somebody plueeeze get Day to cut his hair. Some guys can pull off long hair, he looks like an idiot.

Almost as bad as Tiger's white shoes. :puke:

But seriously, odds are, if history is any indicator that Tiger will either contend on Sunday and win it, or be like 6/7 shots back and vault up to a top 5 finish. He simply plays well at Augusta.

Tiger has always been that of a distance runner rather than sprinter. Yes he has come out of the blocks early, but it's rare. Normally Tiger shoots pretty vanilla Thursday rounds and then builds to Saturday - that is the day he usually makes his push. Golf fans would love for there to be a Tiger/Phil, Tiger/Rory Sunday pairing. Truth is, as long as Tiger is in the last group he could be paired with Chez Reavie and the ratings would be thru the roof.

Tiger Woods

4/1

Rory McIlroy

11/2

Phil Mickelson

11/1

Luke Donald

16/1

Lee Westwood

20/1

Hunter Mahan

22/1

Justin Rose

28/1

Adam Scott

28/1

Keegan Bradley

28/1

Charl Schwartzel

40/1

Jason Day

40/1

Steve Stricker

50/1

Bubba Watson

40/1

Dustin Johnson

40/1

Nick Watney

50/1

Sergio Garcia

50/1

Webb Simpson

60/1

Martin Kaymer

50/1

Graeme McDowell

66/1

Matt Kuchar

66/1

K.J. Choi

60/1

Geoff Ogilvy

80/1

Padraig Harrington

100/1

Rickie Fowler

100/1

Jim Furyk

90/1

Angel Cabrera

90/1

Bill Haas

90/1

Brandt Snedeker

66/1

Louis Oosthuizen

66/1

Bo Van Pelt

80/1

Ian Poulter

100/1

Kyle Stanley

125/1

Gary Woodland

100/1

Trevor Immelman

100/1

Zach Johnson

90/1

Paul Casey

150/1

Aaron Baddeley

150/1

Alvaro Quiros

150/1

Martin Laird

150/1

Sean O'Hair

150/1

Fred Couples

150/1

Jason Dufner

125/1

Y-E Yang

150/1

Robert Karlsson

150/1

Thomas Bjorn

150/1

Johnson Wagner

125/1

Francesco Molinari

175/1

Henrik Stenson

175/1

Ryo Ishikawa

200/1

Vijay Singh

200/1

Peter Hanson

175/1

David Toms

175/1

John Senden

175/1

Sang-Moon Bae

150/1

Charles Howell III

175/1

Fredrik Jacobson

200/1

Ben Crane

200/1

Ryan Palmer

150/1

Jonathan Byrd

250/1

Mark Wilson

200/1

Ross Fisher

250/1

Miguel Angel Jimenez

200/1

Kevin Na

200/1

Simon Dyson

250/1

Paul Lawrie

250/1

Lucas Glover

250/1

Kyung-Tae Kim

300/1

Robert Garrigus

200/1

Edoardo Molinari

200/1

Rory Sabbatini

300/1

Stewart Cink

300/1

Jose Maria Olazabal

400/1

Darren Clarke

400/1

Anders Hansen

300/1

Tim Clark

400/1

Tom Watson

500/1

Patrick Cantlay

500/1

Gonzalo Fernandez

400/1

Harrison Frazar

400/1

Chez Reavie

500/1

Scott Verplank

500/1

Brendan Steele

500/1

Bernhard Langer

500/1

Mike Weir

500/1

Hideki Matsuyama

600/1

Kevin Chappell

600/1

Scott Stallings

400/1

Mark O'Meara

750/1

Kelly Kraft

1000/1

Bryden Macpherson

1000/1

Larry Mize

1500/1

Ben Crenshaw

1000/1

Craig Stadler

1000/1

Ian Woosnam

2000/1

Sandy Lyle

2000/1

Randal Lewis

2000/1

Corbin Mills

1500/1

Took Tiger at 4/1 and Cabrera at 90/1

:music_guitarred:

So much for my #2 pick. Dustin Johnson has withdrawn...