Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Doug Orth's NFL Draft Player Profiles: UPDATE - TE Evan Engram

Reading Dougs take and comparison on Corey Davis reminded me of 2 players: Jarvis Landry and Michael Crabtree. Could we be looking at a future ppr machine?

Reading Dougs take and comparison on Corey Davis reminded me of 2 players: Jarvis Landry and Michael Crabtree. Could we be looking at a future ppr machine?

I think he's a fair mix of the two, although Davis is better after the catch than both and should have more TD upside than Landry. Crabtree's hands have been very good over the years for the most part, so that is another area in which I would say there is a significant difference between Davis and Landry/Crabtree.

I think he's a fair mix of the two, although Davis is better after the catch than both and should have more TD upside than Landry. Crabtree's hands have been very good over the years for the most part, so that is another area in which I would say there is a significant difference between Davis and Landry/Crabtree.

Including Crabtree having one of the highest drop percentages last year?

Including Crabtree having one of the highest drop percentages last year?

One reason why I said "for the most part". Plus, I think most of his drops came this season came in the Texans MNF game in Mexico. :lol:

Guru, I know you only go indepth on the top 10 or so guys. But do you have any sleepers out there? Guys that are gonna probably be drafted towards the end of the second, and third rounds of dynasty drafts.

Guru, I know you only go indepth on the top 10 or so guys. But do you have any sleepers out there? Guys that are gonna probably be drafted towards the end of the second, and third rounds of dynasty drafts.

The plan now is doing 16 in-depth profiles at the moment, with John Ross hopefully coming tomorrow and Mitchell Trubisky before the end of the weekend.

The change I intend to make this year will be to rank my top 50 rookies before and after the draft. Assuming I wrap up these profiles early enough, I plan on watching 2-3 games (via Draft Breakdown) apiece on anywhere from 50-100 QB/RB/WR/TE in this draft. I won't decide on the others until I'm done with the first 16, but one of the main things I'm shooting for is to have the bulk of my Instant Analysis write-ups mostly prepared by draft day (of course, tweaking the IA summary to fit the drafting team).

My idea at the moment is to post the top 50 before-the-draft list in this thread and the post-draft one on my first PMA article of the season.

The plan now is doing 16 in-depth profiles at the moment, with John Ross hopefully coming tomorrow and Mitchell Trubisky before the end of the weekend.

The change I intend to make this year will be to rank my top 50 rookies before and after the draft. Assuming I wrap up these profiles early enough, I plan on watching 2-3 games (via Draft Breakdown) apiece on anywhere from 50-100 QB/RB/WR/TE in this draft. I won't decide on the others until I'm done with the first 16, but one of the main things I'm shooting for is to have the bulk of my Instant Analysis write-ups mostly prepared by draft day (of course, tweaking the IA summary to fit the drafting team).

My idea at the moment is to post the top 50 before-the-draft list in this thread and the post-draft one on my first PMA article of the season.

that would be awesome guru. looking forward to it. :)

Definitely gonna be worth every penny :P

So I can assume you are chipping in?? :D

I'll limit my participation to chirping in................I'll let you know on the rare occasion you get it wrong, especially in hindsight whenever possible. :doublethumbsup:

#Troublemaker

Tds per touch stats are insane

john Ross = tyreek hill?

Tds per touch stats are insane

john Ross = tyreek hill?

I've got another player in mind down the road for a Tyreek Hill comp, but Ross is definitely in Hill's company when it comes to TDs/touch.

Our first QB - Mitchell Trubisky.

Doug - you mentioned in your write-up that he shouldn't be a first-round pick, but I'm assuming you think he will be?

I want to be clear on what I said in my summary: I see first-round talent in him, but I didn't see enough in the roughly 10 games I watched to believe his tape is first-round caliber.

Bruce Arians recently said he sees only 1 qb out of this years group who could start right away.

For me I want to see the qb who can process and execute quickly when the pocket is hot. That eliminates a lot of the spread qbs

Bruce Arians recently said he sees only 1 qb out of this years group who could start right away.

For me I want to see the qb who can process and execute quickly when the pocket is hot. That eliminates a lot of the spread qbs

"Some people" believe Arians was talking about Kizer.

The second part of your statement is a biggie and the last part of your second statement is spot on.

Mike's got a lot on his plate at the moment, so in a rare moment of self-promotion:

David Njoku - a better TE prospect than O.J. Howard?

Define TE.............................but, No

Define TE.............................but, No

I agree, I like Howard better. But O J is just so freakin natural at football it's amazing. Any other year, and Njoku or even Engram could/would be considered the top TE prospect in the draft.

This whole TE class is just simply amazing in terms of quality and talent.

Even sleepers like Sprinkle or Butt could could turn out great careers.

I agree, I like Howard better. But O J is just so freakin natural at football it's amazing. Any other year, and Njoku or even Engram could/would be considered the top TE prospect in the draft.

This whole TE class is just simply amazing in terms of quality and talent.

Even sleepers like Sprinkle or Butt could could turn out great careers.

:thumbsup:

Can't wait to get around to studying Adam Shaheen next week. I already know I like Everett and Michael Roberts, and I think I'm going to like Kittle. Heck, even Cole Hikutini later on. If 1983 was the Year of the QB and 2014 was the Year of the WR, I could easily see this being the Year of the TE.

My first thought was Cordarelle Patterson when reading about this guy and the second was Antoine Smith.

My first thought was Cordarelle Patterson when reading about this guy and the second was Antoine Smith.

Antone Smith? The Falcon RB who can never stay healthy? I didn't do a good enough job writing him up if that is where you went with him. He has the same kind of elusiveness, I suppose.

Samuel is quite a ways ahead of C-Patt coming out of college. Patterson never crossed my mind with him, although I guess I can see how you made that connection. I could see them being used in similar ways, although I do think Samuel will actually stick as a receiver at some point early in his career and is not destined to be a "gadget guy".

Thanks Doug, your write up was fine. I should have added that I don't know how good his school is at readying players for the NFL.

My chief $ leagues go 1pt/25 on return tds so I am always looking at the guys with a returner component a little more carefully.

Thanks Doug, your write up was fine. I should have added that I don't know how good his school is at readying players for the NFL.

My chief $ leagues go 1pt/25 on return tds so I am always looking at the guys with a returner component a little more carefully.

That makes sense. I think Samuel will definitely give you some solid return yards in the beginning. How long he does that depends on how quickly he learns to be a pro receiver. As I said in the write-up, you can see multiple instances of him showing the footwork necessary to be a good route-runner.

Perhaps the draft's most controversial player...

RB Joe Mixon

My own personal .02. He's the best runningback in this class. Now we'll just have to wait and see what happens come draft time. If he were to fall to day 3, wow, what a steel.

The pounder, early-down workhorse, the man with two upper case letters in his first name... - RB D'Onta Foreman

I like this dude already, very efficient.

The nickname and the name are the same...........................Da Foreman

Other shoes are dropping on Mixon and I don't believe they are all agent/draft sabotage related.

Aside from the girl with the video, this Dad has bad memories

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/allegation-against-joe-mixon-from-high-school-could-affect-draft-stock/related/

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/02/09/woman-punched-oklahomas-joe-mixon-says-assault-occurred-rejected-sexual-advances

and don't forget there is the instance of the ticket ripped up and thrown in the face of the officer, subsequently threatening or intimidating with his vehicle ..................which was post "video" and when he was supposedly " a team leader, by all accounts"

http://kfor.com/2016/11/04/documents-detail-altercation-between-ous-joe-mixon-and-parking-attendant/

The picture as a whole is disturbing, if that officer reacts differently we might not even be talking about Mixon having any chance of playing in the NFL because he probably doesn't play again at Oklahoma. The picture painted on the whole now is a guy who is a ticking time bomb. Like cockroaches, for every one we do see, there are probably a bunch more around. It sounds like the way he goes about his business it basically just takes him interacting with someone else who has a temper....................another owner can have all the upside in my rookie drafts.

Other shoes are dropping on Mixon and I don't believe they are all agent/draft sabotage related.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/allegation-against-joe-mixon-from-high-school-could-affect-draft-stock/related/

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/02/09/woman-punched-oklahomas-joe-mixon-says-assault-occurred-rejected-sexual-advances

and don't forget there is the instance of the ticket ripped up and thrown in the face of the officer, subsequently threatening or intimidating with his vehicle ..................which was post "video" and when he was supposedly " a team leader, by all accounts"

http://kfor.com/2016/11/04/documents-detail-altercation-between-ous-joe-mixon-and-parking-attendant/

The picture as a whole is disturbing, if that officer reacts differently we might not even be talking about Mixon having any chance of playing in the NFL because he probably doesn't play again at Oklahoma. The picture painted on the whole now is a guy who is a ticking time bomb. Like cockroaches, for every one we do see, there are probably a bunch more around. It sounds like the way he goes about his business it basically just takes him interacting with someone else who has a temper....................another owner can have all the upside in my rookie drafts.

The father recanted and the plot thickens...............

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/high-school-allegation-against-joe-mixon-was-recanted/

With his history, I also doubt any of the recent news is agent/draft sabotage related.

I mentioned the incident with the officer prior to breaking down his strengths/weaknesses. The mention of him being "a team leader, by all accounts" was from a teammate if memory serves. I should have linked the story to the comment, I'll look for it today.

I don't think there is any doubt about your final comments. It is disturbing. With this many incidents before going to the NFL, I think it is a near certainty he ends up in trouble somewhere down the line as a pro. I would say the same thing about Tyreek Hill, who did something arguably just as bad as Mixon. A big part of a player's ability (esp. one with a history) to avoid trouble is where he ultimately ends up (what town and the support staff the team provides).

The father recanted and the plot thickens...............

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/high-school-allegation-against-joe-mixon-was-recanted/

The thing I don't get about these "leaks" in the days leading up to the draft is the timing. If you want to do real damage to a kid's stock, you go Laremy Tunsil style and release it right as the draft is about to begin.

The thing I don't get about these "leaks" in the days leading up to the draft is the timing. If you want to do real damage to a kid's stock, you go Laremy Tunsil style and release it right as the draft is about to begin.

Yeah. Time allows leaks to fade from memory.

The "art" of leaks has to be 1/2 skill and 1/2 luck & timing. Something as incindiary as the fathers comments must've been tough to keep a lid on.

Perhaps the draft's most controversial player...

RB Joe Mixon

Nice solid assessment, well done. Glad you pointed out his near exclusive experience running out of the spread offense. That is a formation that Derek Carr prefers in Oakland, and getting an effective runner who can grind out yards out of the shotgun opens up all sorts of possibilities.

The Raiders love passing to their RBs. In the Mexico City game BOTH Jalen Richard and Deandre Washington torched the Texans for over 100 yards receiving. Mixon would have a field day in Oakland's backfield.

Concerned about his experience running out of the Power I, and his limited body of work. But like the fact he's young and hasn't been run into the ground. I think he can be a feature back.