Sign in to follow this  
bigdev

David Martin

Do you think Cam will try to make David Martin Antonio Gates pt.2?

and what about the fact that Green is used to throwing to Gonzales for so long?

Is David Martin a Sleeper?

I drafted him as my TE#2 behind Crumpler. He's the starter and with Chambers hurt, he might see some ball come his way. the only knock on Martin is that he's always hurt but the guy has talent according to what I've read.

Gates and Gonzo are at least 10X more talented than Martin.

People...there is a reason this guy could not beat out Bubba Franks and Donald Lee in Green Bay.

Green liking Gonzo was because Gonzo was the best receiver on that team and damn good.

Cam going to Gates is because Gates and LT were the best receivers on that team and damn good.

Martin is not the best receiver on that team and not very good.

Stop trying to use this comparison...its completely foolish.

Martin couldn't beat out Franks because he wasn't as good of a blocker.

I think he was a college wr and has some ability in the passing game. We may be surprised what he can produce...

People...there is a reason this guy could not beat out Bubba Franks and Donald Lee in Green Bay.

Green liking Gonzo was because Gonzo was the best receiver on that team and damn good.

Cam going to Gates is because Gates and LT were the best receivers on that team and damn good.

Sho Nuff speaks the truth!

I drafted him as my TE#2 behind Crumpler. He's the starter and with Chambers hurt, he might see some ball come his way. the only knock on Martin is that he's always hurt but the guy has talent according to what I've read.

You drafted two TE's....LMAO! :thumbsdown:

Martin couldn't beat out Franks because he wasn't as good of a blocker.

I think he was a college wr and has some ability in the passing game. We may be surprised what he can produce...

He could not catch last year either.

"try", maybe. Martin can not catch though so it will be very tough.

Martin looked good to me catching that TD pass from Trent Green last preseason game...

Where did you read, hear or find out that Chambers was hurt? All I saw was that he had to get stitches from a cut he got. He is my #3 and I would like to know if anyone knows for sure if he is hurt.

Where did you read, hear or find out that Chambers was hurt? All I saw was that he had to get stitches from a cut he got. He is my #3 and I would like to know if anyone knows for sure if he is hurt.

It was never stated what or how he got injured...all that was said is that he had X-rays done for an undisclosed injury and since there has been no more news (this was about 3 days ago) i am guessing he is fine

Martin looked good to me catching that TD pass from Trent Green last preseason game...

:pointstosky:

You got me. I did mean that he is unable to ever catch any ball thrown to him and you just proved me wrong by pointing out a time he did indeed catch a ball. Nice catch (no pun intended).

The idea that Martin is going to be putting up Gates-type numbers is definitely a reach.

That said, using the comparison with Cameron's offense in SD and with Trent Green's history of relying on his tight end is by no means "completely foolish."

The reality is that we haven't seen what Martin can do when given the opportunity he has this year. You can't say that because he wasn't given a shot somewhere else he won't perform in Miami. The Phins felt comfortable enough w/ his talent in the new offense to let McMichael go.

He may or may not turn out to be anything special -- but he certainly seems to be in the right situation to put up some nice numbers if he can stay healthy.

The idea that Martin is going to be putting up Gates-type numbers is definitely a reach.

That said, using the comparison with Cameron's offense in SD and with Trent Green's history of relying on his tight end is by no means "completely foolish."

Given the dramatic differences in talent between the TEs in question I think it is foolish.

Green's history of relying on the TE were because the TE was very gifted and he had no WRs.

The reality is that we haven't seen what Martin can do when given the opportunity he has this year. You can't say that because he wasn't given a shot somewhere else he won't perform in Miami. The Phins felt comfortable enough w/ his talent in the new offense to let McMichael go.

He may or may not turn out to be anything special -- but he certainly seems to be in the right situation to put up some nice numbers if he can stay healthy.

Ummm...he had the opportunity with Bubba sucking and being hurt quite a bit the past few years. He did absolutely nothing. He was given a shot and failed. And its not as if Favre ever made a few TEs look good. (Franks, Chmura...)

I will give you he is a guy to watch to see how he does and maybe pluck off of the waiver wire...but thats about it.

Actually, that's not true. Despite some drops that he is remembered for, Martin has been a pretty efficient pass catcher in his career. Martin did not accrue meaningful statistics prior to 2005, so I'll start there.

2005 - 39 Targets, 27 Receptions

2006 - 36 Targets, 21 Receptions

Total - 75 Targets, 48 Receptions = 64% success rate

Let's compare that to the two tight ends some are comparing him to, Gates and Gonzalez.

Gates

2005 - 140 Targets, 89 Receptions

2006 - 120 Targets, 71 Receptions

Total - 260 Targets, 160 Receptions = 61.5% success rate

Gonzalez

2005 - 116 Targets, 78 Receptions

2006 - 103 Targets, 73 Receptions

Total - 219 Targets, 151 Receptions = 69% success rate

Personally, I don't think Martin will ever be a top TE, and both Gates and Gonzalez clearly are. But as long as Martin gets consistent work in that offense, I think he'll be startable (in the top 12). Miami doesn't have much depth at receiver (I heard they're looking to increase Ginn's workload already), and Cameron has said that Martin is definitively the guy at tight end (per rotoworld).

Given the dramatic differences in talent between the TEs in question I think it is foolish.

Green's history of relying on the TE were because the TE was very gifted and he had no WRs.

Ummm...he had the opportunity with Bubba sucking and being hurt quite a bit the past few years. He did absolutely nothing. He was given a shot and failed. And its not as if Favre ever made a few TEs look good. (Franks, Chmura...)

I will give you he is a guy to watch to see how he does and maybe pluck off of the waiver wire...but thats about it.

I am not sure if we are agreeing on this or not -- but -- Favre has never made a TE look good, especially fantasy-wise. And to be honest I haven't seen enough of David Martin to assess his talent level. I wouldn't feel comfortable making any judgements on his talent until I've seen him play a couple of games as the guy.

The original poster asked if Cameron intends to get Gates-type numbers out of Martin. I don't see it happening, but I wouldn't rule out some pretty impressive stats... for the same reason that the question was even asked -- Martin could be the beneficiary of a great situation. And maybe he'll surpsie you and Gates will only be 8 or 9 times "more talented." :thumbsup:

Actually, that's not true. Despite some drops that he is remembered for, Martin has been a pretty efficient pass catcher in his career. Martin did not accrue meaningful statistics prior to 2005, so I'll start there.

2005 - 39 Targets, 27 Receptions

2006 - 36 Targets, 21 Receptions

Total - 75 Targets, 48 Receptions = 64% success rate

Let's compare that to the two tight ends some are comparing him to, Gates and Gonzalez.

Gates

2005 - 140 Targets, 89 Receptions

2006 - 120 Targets, 71 Receptions

Total - 260 Targets, 160 Receptions = 61.5% success rate

Gonzalez

2005 - 116 Targets, 78 Receptions

2006 - 103 Targets, 73 Receptions

Total - 219 Targets, 151 Receptions = 69% success rate

Personally, I don't think Martin will ever be a top TE, and both Gates and Gonzalez clearly are. But as long as Martin gets consistent work in that offense, I think he'll be startable (in the top 12). Miami doesn't have much depth at receiver (I heard they're looking to increase Ginn's workload already), and Cameron has said that Martin is definitively the guy at tight end (per rotoworld).

Those stats don't mean all that much. Targets doesn't mean the ball was necessarily catchable.

I will take back my assesment that Martin can't catch though. What I guess I should have said was that he drops alot of catchable balls and once that starts happening a QB becomes more rluctant to throw to him. Perhaps this was a reason that Martin's tragets are so low. He was given a chance in GB, when Fanks started to lose his game, but he could not capitalize.