Sign in to follow this  
gitrdun

Richard Rodgers ?

It looks like he will be the starting TE on a very good Green Bay offense, but I really do not know much about him. He is going undrafted in mocks but so was Julius Thomas last year. I was able to pick up Jones last year before week one after we had our draft. I do not want to miss on a player who may have a similar situation, great qb and very good offense. Any Green Bay homers out there?

This is a wait and see thru preseason. if he starts and plays well feel free to draft him as if he were Finley. Wich shouldnt be that high considering Finley was a yearly dissapointment and adp bust. Assuming its all roses for him id say take him after pitta and Cameron but right in the Ertz, Reed group of guys with all hype but havent done jack.

Richard Rodgers: Rookie out of California 6'4, 257 lbs

While at Cal his senior year he had 39 receptions for 608 yards and 0 TD's. In three years he had one TD. Whether it's because he simply wasn't used in the redzone or had issues getting open/hands/whatever is to be seen.Part of the lack of production in college could be attributed to a bad coach his junior year and a new coach his senior year. The knock on him is he was a sloppy route runner and for lack of a better term...lazy.

The Packers, Aaron Rodgers especially, has praised him in practices. There are plenty of examples where average college players go under the radar and become solid NFL players, so there is every chance he could become a solid TE. Julius Thomas had 29 catches for 400 yards at Portland St...being on the right team can make a world of a difference! Being in the Packers offense helps a tremendous amount. If he does start he's worth drafting as a WR2 based purely on the fact that he starts for one of the most potent offenses in the NFL.

I don't know a lot about him, but he's in the perfect situation to succeed. Definitely worth a late round flier.

The biggest thing is the yearly lackluster production from packers TEs. I dont see why an underachieving TE would change that in his rookie year. Just too many other upside TEs to pass up for this guy.

There are lots of TEs who will be good for 650 and 6. Why roll the dice on a guy who MIGHT have a 800 8 upside? I don't know about yours but my roster space is pretty important and that type of upside doesn't really do it for me. I'll pass and keep an eye on him for a sneaky be week fill in.

There are lots of TEs who will be good for 650 and 6. Why roll the dice on a guy who MIGHT have a 800 8 upside? I don't know about yours but my roster space is pretty important and that type of upside doesn't really do it for me. I'll pass and keep an eye on him for a sneaky be week fill in.

This thought process would have made you pass on Julius Thomas last year. Where as if you drafted a solid TE and stashed Thomas as your back-up it would have paid off bigtime! I don't think you should draft him as a TE1, but why not take a chance on him on the bench. The options for back-up tight ends isn't that great. Take one that one that has a chance to be great?

Don't they have Quarless, and like 3 possibly dynamic TEs? Rogers, Bostick ... and another guy I am blanking on right now, that looks like a criminal.

I agree with whoever said wait and see. Out of that group, Lyerla is the only one who has the athleticism to be an impact TE IMO, but he's a rookie, hasn't played football in a while, and has a cocaine issue that could blow up on ya at any minute.

This thought process would have made you pass on Julius Thomas last year. Where as if you drafted a solid TE and stashed Thomas as your back-up it would have paid off bigtime! I don't think you should draft him as a TE1, but why not take a chance on him on the bench. The options for back-up tight ends isn't that great. Take one that one that has a chance to be great?

I disagree. Peyton has had many successful TES and that is much more of a calculated gamble with Thomas last year. This just seems like a random guy thrown out. That system hasn't made great TEs before and he isn't anything compared to Julius Thomas. Maybe I am wrong but I don't see it.

Thomas had most of his value catching TDs. You think Richard Rodgers has a chance to get that many TDs in that system? He will be lucky to be the 5th option. I could see a few good games but consistency will be spotty.

Jermichael re-signs with GB and finally puts it all together to the tune of 1,100 receiving and 10 TDs! :banana:

Just kidding. Pack TEs have no value this year.

I disagree. Peyton has had many successful TES and that is much more of a calculated gamble with Thomas last year. This just seems like a random guy thrown out. That system hasn't made great TEs before and he isn't anything compared to Julius Thomas. Maybe I am wrong but I don't see it.

Thomas had most of his value catching TDs. You think Richard Rodgers has a chance to get that many TDs in that system? He will be lucky to be the 5th option. I could see a few good games but consistency will be spotty.

I'll give you that. Peyton's track record with TE's is much, much better. Good point.

My main point was that if you draft Rodgers or Anthony Fasano as a TE2, the potential to have a breakout player is a lot better with Rodgers. At the very least, Rodgers to Rodgers is a good storyline?! Who knows, maybe he doesn't catch a pass, maybe he ends up being a great late pick? If he continues to run with the first team, I'll draft him in a late round and see what happens. In the past I've drafted Marques Colston in the 18th round and it paid off big. I've also drafted Yatil Green, Ryan Torrain....knowing they would pay off...doh. Never hurts to take a chance late.

I'll give you that. Peyton's track record with TE's is much, much better. Good point.

My main point was that if you draft Rodgers or Anthony Fasano as a TE2, the potential to have a breakout player is a lot better with Rodgers. At the very least, Rodgers to Rodgers is a good storyline?! Who knows, maybe he doesn't catch a pass, maybe he ends up being a great late pick? If he continues to run with the first team, I'll draft him in a late round and see what happens. In the past I've drafted Marques Colston in the 18th round and it paid off big. I've also drafted Yatil Green, Ryan Torrain....knowing they would pay off...doh. Never hurts to take a chance late.

I agree that late round gambles are a great part of the draft. I hope he's does great for you but I think I'll try to hit a home run with a WR/RB. I rarely roster 2 TES and don't really value the position much as a whole. I've had plenty of success playing guys like M.Bennett or C.Clay of the waiver wire in the past, and often people continue with past success.

I think no Finley is going to take this offense up another level. Cut way down on the plays for TE means more opportunities for people that can actually catch. Lacy will make up short yards.

I think Quarless is the pick to have out of them...but I'd advise a second option....