Sign in to follow this  
shotsup

At what age do you let your kid drink beers with you ?

Yoga sounds so good but looks so painful.

Yoga is many things, mostly good, but I wouldn't say "painful" is one of them. Plus the scenery is generally outstanding. :thumbsup:

i cringe when i think of all the stuff we did while driving. it is amazing never a dui or even an accident (maybe some minor damages to own vehicles). not too proud of it.

We used to go downtown to NYC, get ripped in one of a handful of bars we knew to serve anyone, buy weed in Washington Square Park and smoke up while driving home. No problems at all. I have also been pulled over at least twice while ripped and never got a DUI. It has been a charmed life.

If I were black I would probably still be serving time.

We used to go downtown to NYC, get ripped in one of a handful of bars we knew to serve anyone, buy weed in Washington Square Park and smoke up while driving home. No problems at all. I have also been pulled over at least twice while ripped and never got a DUI. It has been a charmed life.

Yeah. Black people in NYC never catch a break. It's always arrest on sight. You know nothing.

Why does Timmys dad have to actually drink beers with him in order to teach him all about the ways excessive drinking can eff up his life?

Sharing it with him is a bonding tool that shows him he trusts him enough to have a beer (not the focking end of the world, it’s a beer, kid prob won’t even like it) while giving advice. It’s more likely to get through and stick than if dad is just barking orders the kid will rebel against anyway.

i cringe when i think of all the stuff we did while driving. it is amazing never a dui or even an accident (maybe some minor damages to own vehicles). not too proud of it.

Same here. While I have friends (late forties) who still do it and think it's fine - I have even drove buzzed once in almost 19 years - when my oldest was born.

i got stopped once coming across infamous betsy ross and given test...walk the line, follow pen with eyes...totally hammered and was let go....i guess this was like 1994ish....before breathalyzers?? also remember stopping atop that bridge another time to let my buddy puke in the middle of road at like 3am. both drunk. did a 540 on 95 in a snow storm and missed two cars and the median by inches. ended up facing south in north lanes. we used to go to parties at drexel, lasalle...just drinking the whole way there and home. we'd run red lights near temple late at night because we'd be afraid to stop after a friend was ripped out of car and mugged. good times :huh:. i wish my dad sat down and had a few with me...maybe i wouldn't have made such bad choices. :cry: right tantastic?

Exactly brother.

Excellent kid in college. (Lives at home)

18 can have beers with me and at my freinds parties.

We play PS4 and Cards with :cheers: and it's cool.

I do not know about Skids but I never got the opportunity to drink with my father. :cry:

My dad died when I was 18, I never had that chance either. :(

Sorry to hear you missed that opportunity.

My father and I shared many of drink together. We also got sober through the same rehab.

It all tastes terrible until you drink it multiple times. Just like coffee, and just about every adult beverage.

Bull crap. See my post on beer.

Think back to when you were that age and imagine yourself being told not to do something until it was legal. Better to educate kids and help them make better life choices than to simply say don’t do it. Here’s some examples...yet more free advice I could be charging you guys for it’s so wise.

Little billy who’s dad said he is in deep crap if he drinks before 21 will get laughed at by peers and go out of his way to drink to be cool. Billy gets sloppy and barfs on himself trying to show his square ass dad that he knows it all already.

Then there’s Timmy who’s dad sat him down, had a beer with him and taught him all about the ways drinking in excess can eff up your life. Timmy might have a beer or two at a party, but he remembers dads lessons and won’t overdo it or get caught in a bad situation.

What about educating them without sharing a drink?

For the record, my mom said she didn’t care if I drank or used drugs, as long as I did well in school. Meanwhile, my dad drug tested me when he thought I was acting funny. Somehow, I chose not to drink or do drugs. :dunno:

What about educating them without sharing a drink?

For the record, my mom said she didn’t care if I drank or used drugs, as long as I did well in school. Meanwhile, my dad drug tested me when he thought I was acting funny. Somehow, I chose not to drink or do drugs. :dunno:

Without the drink is fine too.

I think your mothers approach was fine and your dads as well. In the end to each their own. I hate hearing about adults problems being fault of the parents. Oh if your dad did this you wouldnt be doing that. We are our own people and can make our own decisions. I dont do x because my parents did Y. I do what the frack I want.

Sharing it with him is a bonding tool that shows him he trusts him enough to have a beer (not the focking end of the world, it’s a beer, kid prob won’t even like it) while giving advice. It’s more likely to get through and stick than if dad is just barking orders the kid will rebel against anyway.

Wait a sec, I thought every one liked alcohol instantaneously? What are you, a big square pvssy?!?!

Wait a sec, I thought every one liked alcohol instantaneously? What are you, a big square pvssy?!?!

Some do, some dont, some have to aquire a taste. Pretty common sense. The post you think you are nailing me on, I just said you were off to imply that everyone dislikes it at first and has to aquire a taste. For some its love at first sip..

I like the taste of alcohol if that's what you's are arguing about. Lost track.

:cheers:

Sorry to hear you missed that opportunity.

My father and I shared many of drink together. We also got sober through the same rehab.

Thanks, and glad to hear you've addressed your issue. :thumbsup:

My dad wasn't a big drinker; most nights he would have one drink of Cutty Sark scotch and milk :puke:. I have in my mind that the milk had something to do with ulcer issues, but I also have in my mind that milk isn't good for ulcers, so whatever.

I'm younger than he was when he died (I'm 50, he was 55) but I got married and had kids younger so I've reached the point where I'm experiencing things with my kids which he never did: drinks, my son graduates college this spring... makes me a little sad and happy at the same time I guess. :dunno:

Father was 45.

I was 16

I turn 49 in 2018.

Sharing it with him is a bonding tool that shows him he trusts him enough to have a beer (not the focking end of the world, its a beer, kid prob wont even like it) while giving advice. Its more likely to get through and stick than if dad is just barking orders the kid will rebel against anyway.

Why wait until the kid is a teenager to teach him about the dangers of alcohol abuse?

Its already being taught in my house and my kids are 8 & 10.

That being the case, should I bond with them over a smaller drink? Maybe shots of some sort?

Otherwise known as Louisiana.

It is. Last state to change the drinking age to twenty one. And last state to criminalize open containers.But we still have drive thru bars. You can go to daiquiri shops and go thru and get daiquiris or a triple Jack and Coke for your ride home as long as there is not a straw in the cup. Ask for two straws.

Twenty four seven access to alcohol. 7/11's have cold 16 once beers on ice right next to the cashier. They put them in a brown bag.

Hard drinking town. Met Sam Kinnison once at a heavy metal bar after a Motley Crue concert. When two in the morning hit, he laughed at how the bar was still open and he could stay all night and drink. Sam: Besides Vegas, this is the only place I know that you can drink this much. In LA, after two am, you have to rent a limo to get a drink if your bar is depleted.

Some do, some dont, some have to aquire a taste. Pretty common sense. The post you think you are nailing me on, I just said you were off to imply that everyone dislikes it at first and has to aquire a taste. For some its love at first sip..

My argument is the vast majority of people don't like alcohol at first taste. Not 100%, but at least 75% and maybe 90+% for beer. You think it's like 50:50?

And it isn't much different for coffee.

I wonder if the alcoholic gene plays a role.

I'd say my father was an old school functioning alcoholic. Never blasted out of his mind, but two stiff Martinis every day. Neither me or my sisters are/were boozers. My older brother has turned into one though.

Below mason dixon - I am guessing 6 or 7?

Above, 14/15?

This is interesting https://www.livescience.com/47970-alcohol-taste-perception-genetics.html. Only 25% were insensitive to the bitterness of alcohol, but that doesn't necessarily mean alcohol tastes good to them initially. So I think my estimates are pretty good:

Whether or not you like the taste of alcohol may be in your genes, new research suggests.

In the study, people with one version of a bitterness taste receptor gene said they found an alcoholic drink to be less bitter-tasting than those with a different version of the gene, according to the findings published today (Sept. 23) in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research.

"The two genes, that had been previously associated with [alcohol] intake, also associated with differences in the perception of ethanol," said study author Dr. John E. Hayes, of the Sensory Evaluation Center at The Pennsylvania State University in University Park. "The reason this work is significant is because it fills in this gap, because no one had shown in the lab that the alcohol actually tastes differently depending on which [version of the gene] you have."

People who find the taste of alcohol less bitter may be more inclined to start drinking, Hayes said, which could have implications for identifying those at risk of becoming problem drinkers. "It seems unlikely the taste of alcohol matters at all once someone is alcohol-dependent," Hayes said, although he noted this was speculation on his part. "Still, taste genetics may be an important risk factor before someone becomes dependent."

Humans have 25 genes that encode for taste receptors on the tongue that perceive bitterness, Hayes said. He and his colleagues looked at variants in two of these genes, called TAS2R13 and TAS2R38, in 93 healthy people of European ancestry, as well as variants in a gene called TRPV1, which codes for a receptor involved in perceiving "burning" or "stinging" sensations in the mouth. [7 Ways Alcohol Affects Your Health]

The study participants rated the overall intensity of a drink that was 16 percent alcohol, which they sipped and then spit out, and also scored their taste sensations for three minutes after a cotton swab soaked with 50 percent alcohol solution was applied on the back of their tongue.

There were three places in the TAS2R38 gene where a change in the gene's code was associated with bitterness perception, the researchers found. Everyone carries two copies of the gene; in the study, those with two copies of the most sensitive version of the gene perceived the alcohol to be the most bitter, and those with two copies of the least sensitive version of the gene found it the least bitter, and other individuals fell in between.

"We would expect about 25 percent of the population to have two of the really sensitive forms, 25 percent insensitive, and 50 percent in the middle," Hayes said.

My family waited til I was 21. But I remember getting to taste my dads beer at the age of 6. Didnt like it. My parents knew I drank however when I was in high school. Didnt encourage it at all

:wave:

Third generation.