Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Most intelligent discussion on school shootings I've seen

Since it's a guy, and I'm not saying head, and it's a bit more dynamic then 'hey, this was good,' it doesn't bother me.There's been a number of things that is me (me, naomi, guys :() that are assumed to be CH and it's a weird spot to be in. Whatever year that was...2006? when CH had my handle for a couple days, that's as long as it's been since he's had it.

Since it's a guy, and I'm not saying head, and it's a bit more dynamic then 'hey, this was good' it doesn't bother me.There's been a number of things that is me (me, naomi, guys :() that are assumed to be CH and it's a weird spot to be in. Whatever year that was...2006? when CH had my handle for a couple days, that's as long as it's been since he's had it.

Prove it. Who was the second biblical king of the Israelites?

This guy gives good thread. Worth the read :thumbsup:

https://twitter.com/AriSchulman/status/964614619523362816

Almost all his points have been mentioned in these threads. The key things he reiterates are determining why law enforcement has failed to identify shooters, possibly forming specific patrol units for this purpose, not glorifying shooters and enacting gun violence restraining orders, similar to states like CA.

He kind of poo-poos the role of gun availability in the process, and mistakenly states gun violence is decreasing, using a chart ending in 2010 to illustrate his point. After decreasing since a peak in the 90's, gun violence plateaued for a while and has actually increased the last couple years.

Overall, pretty good. What do the pro-gun folks think of his summary?

Prove it. Who was the second biblical king of the Israelites?

Embarrassingly I didn't know that.

Pen, good reply :cheers: Off to check out his gun violence chart and google..

Embarrassingly I didn't know that.

Pen, good reply :cheers: Off to check out his gun violence chart and google..

I refuse to believe that my atheist ass was able to stump Naomi on bible trivia in one question.

The answer is David btw.

Pen, I landed on a Vox article that notes that distinction (actually did so because they used the same chart):

The good news is that all firearm homicides, like all homicides and crime, have declined over the past two decades. (Although that may have changed in 2015 and 2016, with a recent rise in murders nationwide.)

And that link goes to an article stating:

As criminologist John Pfaff pointed out, most of the increase in the murder rate in particular — which is widely considered the most accurate proxy for crime — was linked to cities with a population of 250,000 or more. Chicago alone contributed to about 22 percent of the increase in murders.

One point of caution: Crime is still below what it was several years ago. Even at 5.3 per 100,000 people, the murder rate, for example, is still below what it was in 2008 and the years before that, and it’s nearly half of what it was during its peak in 1980.

The increases also don’t mean that crime and murder have gone up across the board, even in urban areas. New York City, for example, has seen crime drop or hold steady for years.

Criminologists don’t have a definitive answer yet as to why the overall national figures increased — and they caution that much of this still needs serious study to figure out.

But after the second year in a row of national increases, the report raises a red flag about what is happening in the US. Could crime be back on the rise? Or are the 2015 and 2016 numbers, like similar increases in 2005 and 2006, just another temporary rise before the crime and murder rates continue their long-term decline? And what could be behind the recent increases?

I refuse to believe that my atheist ass was able to stump Naomi on bible trivia in one question.

The answer is David btw.

Yeah, I googled and there was a handy list of all the kings. I'm truly reading (as opposed to darting around throughout it) the OT right now (been in Genesis since 1/1), and while I'm familiar with a fair amount, I'm not really that good with rote facts.

Yeah, I googled and there was a handy list of all the kings. I'm truly reading (as opposed to darting around throughout it) the OT right now (been in Genesis since 1/1), and while I'm familiar with a fair amount, I'm not really that good with rote facts.

I havent read the Bible in twenty years almost, but I was always more into it from a historical and literary perspective than as a holy book anyway.

Pen, I landed on a Vox article that notes that distinction (actually did so because they used the same chart):

And that link goes to an article stating:

Yeah, Vox does a good job summarizing gun violence stats. I know conservatives will dismiss the site, but it lists primary data sources for all its graphs: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/2/16399418/us-gun-violence-statistics-maps-charts

It's quite obvious that shooters crave notoriety. They mostly if not wholly are forgotten people. They will change tactics if necessary but they aren't going away in our social media world.