Sign in to follow this  
Larry David

Trade Gronk This Offseason?

So I've had Gronkowski in my dynasty league since his rookie season. I now also have Evan Engram and a big hole at WR. I'm thinking of offering Gronk and LeSean McCoy for DeAndre Hopkins. The Hopkins owner, who also has Davante Adams (we can only protect one of each position ) is weak at RB and TE. Do I do the unthinkable and trade Gronk?

Engram will be affected by OBJ coming back, but OBJ will also help the Giants offense move the ball much better giving Engram more opportunities as well. Engram is very consistent week to week and has a high floor at a position that there are few decent players to choose from. Gronk is the best TE and a huge advantage as you know, but a risk for injury at any time. Seeing as how you have a huge hole at WR, if you need a WR1 you can do no better than a young DeAndre Hopkins. LeSean McCoy is great and I've had him on my team the last two years, but he's over 30. Seems like a lot to give up. I don't play dynasty so I don't know how age affects player value exactly other than a common sense understanding. If this is considered an even trade in Dynasty then I'd make that trade if I was you.

Thanks for your advice on keeping Garoppolo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fantasypros.com/2017/10/fantasy-football-dynasty-trade-value-chart-october-2017-update/amp/

Gronk 44 + Shady 32 > Hopkins 58

Im not sure if you can judge players with numerical value, but you would be giving up a lot for Hopkins. I can understand you wanting Hopkins as he is so studly, will get Watkins back, and even produces when we doesnt have an Elite QB. Maybe you could get the trade partner to try to even the trade a bit with an upgrade at a different position for you too?

Thanks for the input. I agree that Gronk and Shady straight up is a lot to give up but in terms of dynasty, McCoy will be 30 next year and a lot of RBs start hitting the wall at that point. Hopkins is four years younger and WRs, generally, have a longer shelf life than RBs. Gronk is still dominant and young but there's a lot of wear (and surgeries) on those tires.

i think you are giving to much I get your points about age and injury but gronk showed this year he can take a full season again, plus you are backing a TE that beifited from OBJ being out but also we don't know who will be QB in NY if its a rookie they might lean on TE more which works for you but it might also make Engram worthless.

basically you are giving up 2 top plays at their positions for 1 and I just don't think you can be confident in your back up to give that up.

Side not Watson looked great with Nuke and I dont expect that to change but injuries can alter a players ability. even if it just stops him being mobile that can hurt Nuke

So I've had Gronkowski in my dynasty league since his rookie season. I now also have Evan Engram and a big hole at WR. I'm thinking of offering Gronk and LeSean McCoy for DeAndre Hopkins. The Hopkins owner, who also has Davante Adams (we can only protect one of each position ) is weak at RB and TE. Do I do the unthinkable and trade Gronk?

I think it really depends on the rules of your league, and what your roster looks like.

If you think you have a good shot at winning this year, Keep Gronk. he is likely worth more than Hopkins for this year at least.

If you do not think you will win this year, then trade him for Hopkins.

Gronk is an injury risk, and he has a top QB who is 1 or 2 years away from retirement. I truly think that once Brady retires Gronks numbers wont be the same.

and as he gets older, he will be injured more. He is currently 28 and turns 29 in a month. He likely retires at a younger age due to the beating his body has taken.

wouldn't surprise me if he and Brady both retired in 2 years.

so if you can get a decent asset for him now, I don't think there is a better time to do it. His value in trade is likely as high as it will ever be.

also, you can look at shopping Gronk around. Maybe you can get a better offer than Hopkins.

I think it really depends on the rules of your league, and what your roster looks like.

If you think you have a good shot at winning this year, Keep Gronk. he is likely worth more than Hopkins for this year at least.

If you do not think you will win this year, then trade him for Hopkins.

Gronk is an injury risk, and he has a top QB who is 1 or 2 years away from retirement. I truly think that once Brady retires Gronks numbers wont be the same.

and as he gets older, he will be injured more. He is currently 28 and turns 29 in a month. He likely retires at a younger age due to the beating his body has taken.

wouldn't surprise me if he and Brady both retired in 2 years.

so if you can get a decent asset for him now, I don't think there is a better time to do it. His value in trade is likely as high as it will ever be.

I disgree, let Gronk go.

If you can trade him for a younger Hopkins who is listed as the second best wr just behind Brown I would run and make that trade.

Gronk still has that much value is a true benefit for you, I think after this next season in which in could be his last he might not have any value.

Hopkins had a great season last season, and a young QB that's able to get him the ball.

Run and make that deal.

also, you can look at shopping Gronk around. Maybe you can get a better offer than Hopkins.

Brown?

He's the only one ranked better a the wr postion.

Take Hopkins.