Sign in to follow this  
ralphster

Fantasy Barometer

Up Travaris Cadet NE ppr

I think you'll change that to James White by August. Maybe it is b/c I choose to look through my dynasty team-colored glasses, but I think White begins to deliver on the promise he showed last offseason.

I think you'll change that to James White by August. Maybe it is b/c I choose to look through my dynasty team-colored glasses, but I think White begins to deliver on the promise he showed last offseason.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but james white is just plain bad. He may be able to put up some ok numbers if NE gives him a lot of touches, though that is probably not going to happen when they see his lack of production.

I like Cadet to reprise a Vereen role, but White certainly has the tools to emerge as that guy. The better pass protector will take the job, unless either fumbles too often.

I like Cadet to reprise a Vereen role, but White certainly has the tools to emerge as that guy. The better pass protector will take the job, unless either fumbles too often.

I much prefer cadet if looking for a cheap investment. I dont think either will succeed since vereen is much more talented than either, and he had trouble getting into the game consistently. On white, i think he is just plain bad. If anyone picks up white and he has a decent game, i recommend trading him off immediately.

I much prefer cadet if looking for a cheap investment. I dont think either will succeed since vereen is much more talented than either, and he had trouble getting into the game consistently. On white, i think he is just plain bad. If anyone picks up white and he has a decent game, i recommend trading him off immediately.

What do we have to go on? Preseason games from last year? He was quite the revelation in offseason workouts last year. (It wouldn't be the first time the Pats' offensive system swallowed up a rookie and spit him out.)

I saw the same preseason games all of you did and White is supposedly the frontrunner for Vereen's job now (I know, I know...he was their draft pick last year...I get it). Vereen had all of 15 touches his rookie year in 2011. Last year, White had 14. Not trying to say White is the next Vereen. Both White and Cadet have been "my boys" at some point over the last 1-2 years, but I've got to say I find it notable that Cadet could never really break through into the Saints' RBBC. Sean Payton only had Cadet block on seven of his 185 snaps in which he was in the game and the Saints passed last year, which (along with PFF's negative grade for his blocking) tells me NO thought he was basically a receiver in a running back's body.

Doug, I was on the JW train last year and he did not carry the preseason success into the regular season. My eye tells me Cadet is a little quicker than White. Once NO went w Spiller that was it for TC.

What do we have to go on? Preseason games from last year? He was quite the revelation in offseason workouts last year. (It wouldn't be the first time the Pats' offensive system swallowed up a rookie and spit him out.)

I saw the same preseason games all of you did and White is supposedly the frontrunner for Vereen's job now (I know, I know...he was their draft pick last year...I get it). Vereen had all of 15 touches his rookie year in 2011. Last year, White had 14. Not trying to say White is the next Vereen. Both White and Cadet have been "my boys" at some point over the last 1-2 years, but I've got to say I find it notable that Cadet could never really break through into the Saints' RBBC. Sean Payton only had Cadet block on seven of his 185 snaps in which he was in the game and the Saints passed last year, which (along with PFF's negative grade for his blocking) tells me NO thought he was basically a receiver in a running back's body.

Being in 2 dynasty leagues, i try to identify players who i believe have no talent. Its to avoid wasting a draft pick on players who really have no shot at being relevant. White was one of those players. Maybe im wrong. I just dont think he has it.

Doug, I was on the JW train last year and he did not carry the preseason success into the regular season. My eye tells me Cadet is a little quicker than White. Once NO went w Spiller that was it for TC.

Being in 2 dynasty leagues, i try to identify players who i believe have no talent. Its to avoid wasting a draft pick on players who really have no shot at being relevant. White was one of those players. Maybe im wrong. I just dont think he has it.

Here's the thing, I don't disagree with you guys. Cadet is quicker and more capable of breaking a big play.

BUT

I don't this is a competition that will necessarily come down to talent. The reasons I think it is JW are: 1) Cadet's deficiencies as a blocker and 2) the Patriots using a player in the Vereen role they can't trust to protect Tom's backside. I think it is also very possible what we saw last year was White thinking instead of reacting, which is what happens to a lot of rookies - esp. in NE. I think that if White "lacked talent", he wouldn't have essentially split carries with Melvin Gordon at Wisconsin in 2013. Not that I leave my scouting to the college coaches, but I think that factoid is notable.

Here's the thing, I don't disagree with you guys. Cadet is quicker and more capable of breaking a big play.

BUT

I don't this is a competition that will necessarily come down to talent. The reasons I think it is JW are: 1) Cadet's deficiencies as a blocker and 2) the Patriots using a player in the Vereen role they can't trust to protect Tom's backside. I think it is also very possible what we saw last year was White thinking instead of reacting, which is what happens to a lot of rookies - esp. in NE. I think that if White "lacked talent", he wouldn't have essentially split carries with Melvin Gordon at Wisconsin in 2013. Not that I leave my scouting to the college coaches, but I think that factoid is notable.

That's good content there. White split with someone else pretty much his entire college career though didn't he? If it comes down to pass pro White has the inside track.

But let's consider what we're pontificating about here for just one second.

Vereen had what like 100 carries last year for 400 yards? 50 catches for 500 yards? I know he only had 2 TDs cause he got em both on my bench. If White or Cadet picks up that role it's really only a 160 point or so position for your team. So a desperate start due to injury or poor planning on bye weeks.

That's good content there. White split with someone else pretty much his entire college career though didn't he? If it comes down to pass pro White has the inside track.

But let's consider what we're pontificating about here for just one second.

Vereen had what like 100 carries last year for 400 yards? 50 catches for 500 yards? I know he only had 2 TDs cause he got em both on my bench. If White or Cadet picks up that role it's really only a 160 point or so position for your team. So a desperate start due to injury or poor planning on bye weeks.

Yep. He split with Montee Ball in 2011 and 2012 (Gordon was used more like a gadget player in 2012 after suffering a season-ending injury early in 2011). In 2013 (his final year in college), he pretty much split with Gordon and had 39 catches to Gordon's one.

On a separate but related note, it is that last nugget that catches my eye. SD talked about how Gordon was the best pass-protecting RB in this draft. If Gordon is so good at it, one has to wonder why White was getting all those snaps. Is it really possible for one college team that runs the ball as much as Wisconsin to have two stellar pass-protecting RBs? I highly doubt it.

I hear what you are saying about significance. In standard leagues, you're talking about a RB4 (maybe). In PPR, possibly a RB3. Even when Vereen was at his best (and/or healthy) in NE, he was hard to count for 10-plus points on a regular basis..

Agree re White if last year he was slowed by the learning curve vs his ceiling. If the 'floor' is 160 pts we are talking about a flex rb who will occasionally give you rb2 numbers, and not be startable against weak run defenses. In other words the kind of player if used right, pushes you into the playoffs, and if not pushes you away.

Looks like Allen Robinson is heating up. Several of the fantasy sites I go to are really showing him love. I was hoping he would fly under the radar.

• Like 1

Looks like Allen Robinson is heating up. Several of the fantasy sites I go to are really showing him love. I was hoping he would fly under the radar.

I think he'll still fly under the radar to a certain extent in redraft. A lot of people just won't be able to look beyond the word Jacksonville.

They are still Jacksonville and its great when so many are sold on camp news . Also Happy Fathers Day . Thank you Jesus .

I think he'll still fly under the radar to a certain extent in redraft. A lot of people just won't be able to look beyond the word Jacksonville.

One of those people is me

Is this because of Toby? ;)

Nah. I mean i did like him last year, but the way that team evaluates talent is just poor. Robinson would be a very nice receiver on a good team, but on jax he is fighting and uphill battle.

In regards to toby, it would have been nice to see him healthy all year. He had a very bad ankle sprain right off the bat that derailed his season. He was very successful in Min, so i dont see how he just loses his ability to be a solid rb.

I agree regarding Gerhart. I really do wonder what his role, if any, will be.

Personally, I just wish he'd be cut by the Jaguars and signed by Dallas

I agree regarding Gerhart. I really do wonder what his role, if any, will be.

Personally, I just wish he'd be cut by the Jaguars and signed by Dallas

I would cream myself

If your comparing last years numbers for Maclin then yes arrow down but if you are comparing the wr#1 from the Chiefs for Maclin then it's gotta be arrow up. Him paired with the Kelce and Charles will open up holes and seems for all three of them. No reason he can't catch 70-80 balls with 900-1000 yards with 6-8TDs. I like Maclin this year he's currently trending a 5-6th round pick with solid upside. Smith is a capable QB in this league and will target Maclin plenty of times.

• Like 2

6-8 tds no WR on kc even had one last season .

Also like Gore like the OP said, he went to a much better offense and can't be a focus of the defense with the likes of AJ, Hilton and whichever WR3 hits the fields, plus they have two solid TE's.. Frank could have one of his best years with a slightly less workload..

QB wise I like Tannehill to continue to improve don't think he will go crazy but will end up a Good solid QB option for a lot cheaper then some other ones..

Going homer on this one but whats not to like about Jordan Matthews kid looked solid last season and with Maclin moving on, he should see majority of the targets and has a nice cast around him with Murray, Ertz and Agohlor.

Jarvis Landry is another WR that should improve over last season, has a solid running game, added a very good TE in Cameron, and you already know my thoughts on the QB there.

• Like 1

Think Spiller of he can stay healthy of course in PPR leagues could be a top ten Rb .

Think Spiller of he can stay healthy of course in PPR leagues could be a top ten Rb .

That's always been the issue with Spiller - staying off the shelf. Ingram's had such troubles of his own too. Whoever stays healthy in the NO backfield this year should put up nice numbers. Good luck figuring out who that is though.

That's always been the issue with Spiller - staying off the shelf. Ingram's had such troubles of his own too. Whoever stays healthy in the NO backfield this year should put up nice numbers. Good luck figuring out who that is though.

He's missed 10 out of a possible 80 games. 3 out of a possible 64 prior to 2014.

The issue with Spiller is that he's averaged less than 12 touches a game. I don't know if that changes in NO.

• Like 1

That's always been the issue with Spiller - staying off the shelf. Ingram's had such troubles of his own too. Whoever stays healthy in the NO

backfield this year should put up nice numbers. Good luck figuring out who that is though.

As a saints homer I'm taking Khiry Robinson in rd 10 for once Ingram gets dinged up. Still skeptical on him

• Like 1

As a saints homer I'm taking Khiry Robinson in rd 10 for once Ingram gets dinged up. Still skeptical on him

I'm thinking the EXACT same thing. So many people are skeptical of Khiry now. But the kid has been solid when given the chance.

IF the Saints are going to commit to the run more, there's simply no way that Khiry doesn't earn a bunch of touches. Also, Ingram has been dealing with a foot injury. It's been predominantly labeled as minor...but how many times in the past have we seen minor OTA injuries linger into training camp?

If your comparing last years numbers for Maclin then yes arrow down but if you are comparing the wr#1 from the Chiefs for Maclin then it's gotta be arrow up. Him paired with the Kelce and Charles will open up holes and seems for all three of them. No reason he can't catch 70-80 balls with 900-1000 yards with 6-8TDs. I like Maclin this year he's currently trending a 5-6th round pick with solid upside. Smith is a capable QB in this league and will target Maclin plenty of times.

The lead WR in an Alex Smith led offense has NEVER topped 850 yards. Buyer beware.

The lead WR in an Alex Smith led offense has NEVER topped 850 yards. Buyer beware.

Alex smith is not the type of qb to lock onto a receiver typically. He also hasnt had much in terms of a #1 receiver to throw to. If maclin can be a true wr1 for the chiefs, he can surpass the previous high marks held by receivers smith has thrown to.

Crabtree with 874 in 2011 and 1105 in 2012 (although that was 33/67 Smith/Kaepernick).

Crabtree with 874 in 2011 and 1105 in 2012 (although that was 33/67 Smith/Kaepernick).

Looks like ol pete needs to do his research.

Nah. I mean i did like him last year, but the way that team evaluates talent is just poor. Robinson would be a very nice receiver on a good team, but on jax he is fighting and uphill battle.

In regards to toby, it would have been nice to see him healthy all year. He had a very bad ankle sprain right off the bat that derailed his season. He was very successful in Min, so i dont see how he just loses his ability to be a solid rb.

Gerhart sucks. EL OH EL at him being "very successful" in min. Picking up APs scraps for 5 carries a game isn't success.

There's plenty of reasons Maclin can't approach those numbers. 70 900 2 is where I see him.

Gerhart sucks. EL OH EL at him being "very successful" in min. Picking up APs scraps for 5 carries a game isn't success.There's plenty of reasons Maclin can't approach those numbers. 70 900 2 is where I see him.

Besides the few games when AP was out and Gerhart filled in fine for AP. But dont actually do any research or anything like that. The less replying like a 16 year old girl with El Oh El the better.

Besides the few games when AP was out and Gerhart filled in fine for AP. But dont actually do any research or anything like that. The less replying like a 16 year old girl with El Oh El the better.

I dont judge a player based on a few games. We all talked at an extreme length about Gerhart last year when he was they great white hype darling, guaranteed for 1100 and 8 plunge tds. It failed, it's over, the dream is dead. Maybe that's not fair. The Jacksonville factor buys a guy an extra year to prove himself if he goes to a real nfl team so I'll grant him that.

Looks like ol pete needs to do his research.

Yeah, one time was by 24 yards and one time was in combination with Kap, but ignore the actual point and draft Maclin to your hearts content.

Yeah, one time was by 24 yards and one time was in combination with Kap, but ignore the actual point and draft Maclin to your hearts content.

I was just messing with you. Ya know, cause you were kind of douchy before. Im definitely not always accurate with my stats so it doesnt matter to me if youre off a bit.

It's all good I can understand the doubts with Maclin, because of Alex Smith, but look back at what Alex Smith had a wr on the down slope in Bowe, and no real other WR in KC and Crabtree who never developed into what he was projected. As far as just 2 TD's heck if I knew you personally I'd kindly bet a lunch with you on that because I think your looking at last years numbers way to much. They didn't pay him 11mil to come in and not get targets Andy Reid drafted this guy and he knows how to use him and based on where he is being drafted right now it's solid value imo.

• Like 1

Since Crabtree has been brought up do you think he will do better or worse than the 68 rec, 698 yards, and 4 TDs he had last year now that he's with the Raider?

Since Crabtree has been brought up do you think he will do better or worse than the 68 rec, 698 yards, and 4 TDs he had last year now that he's with the Raider?

Worse. Hes maybe the 3rd most talented receiver plus Murray and Helu are probably better too. It really depends on what the OC/head coach think of him. If they view him as a true #1 or really good #2, he may be force fed targets.