Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Martavis Bryant...devils lettuce

Heard on the radio...might be in trouble again. Announcement forthcoming. Was a pittsburgh radio station.

I really hope that this situation gets clarified before the end of the month.

I have 15 dynasty roster spots to declare keepers for by June 30th and I was planning on using 1 for Bryant. He's a very talented guy and I am cautiously optimistic about what he will do on a new team in a new offense. But I sure as hell won't be keeping him if he is suspended for the year.

From what I've read he failed to take a drug test that was required of him under the substance abuse program he is still under for previous violations.

I have read the same thing as Smileseers. It sounds as though this is going to be a 4 game suspension. The issue is this though; Why did he really miss the test? If he 'missed' a test because he's dirty again, they'll find out. They always do. Bryant is so talented that we overlook the fact he can't give up pot for the NFL. I won't even get started on the fact the NFL needs to review this incredibly stupid rule, but it's a rule that has to be followed to play in their league.

I have read the same thing as Smileseers. It sounds as though this is going to be a 4 game suspension. The issue is this though; Why did he really miss the test? If he 'missed' a test because he's dirty again, they'll find out. They always do. Bryant is so talented that we overlook the fact he can't give up pot for the NFL. I won't even get started on the fact the NFL needs to review this incredibly stupid rule, but it's a rule that has to be followed to play in their league.

I don't think it's fair to say it's a stupid rule. Every business has the right to set up their own rules around their employees taking drugs. Especially notable when the health of the players is a huge financial investment by the company. Or even companies where their employees use heavy machinery, etc...

People forget that the players didn't have to take the job. And if they can't give up pot for 5-10 years of their lives then they have bigger problems than being employed at that time.

as someone addicted to the mary jane, as well. i really feel for this guy.

I don't think it's fair to say it's a stupid rule. Every business has the right to set up their own rules around their employees taking drugs. Especially notable when the health of the players is a huge financial investment by the company. Or even companies where their employees use heavy machinery, etc...

People forget that the players didn't have to take the job. And if they can't give up pot for 5-10 years of their lives then they have bigger problems than being employed at that time.

I definitely see your point. The company I work for is very anti-pot and we are drug tested randomly. I spent last year fighting cancer and was not able to take THC pills because of my company rule. Well, it's a bit shady, but the rule was I could take the pills, but if I was drug tested, I would be fired. When you are taking 25 pills per day due to Chemo & Radiation, it's hard to keep them all down. Throwing them up doesn't do you any good. THC coats your stomach and allows you to keep them down.

Before I had cancer, I was very much against the players smoking pot. After a year in and out of the hospital and being told by actual doctors what marijuana can do for you in terms of helping with stomach issues, pain, depression, sleep etc. etc., I am not against it anymore and think the rule by the NFL is dumb. Only because of the pain these guys suffer from during & after their career. The NFL is all for giving them as many pain killers as they want, and not giving a crap if they get addicted (listen to Brett Favre's story). The NFL may have rules, just like any employer, but there are major differences. In ANY job, if you suffer from enough concussions, you can collect Work Comp. It's the law (and the field I work in). You CANNOT do this in the NFL. After enough concussions, you are simply out of a job, but you CANNOT collect Work Comp from it. There is no safety net for the player. This should be illegal. This is also the reason they continue to play through concussions. Someday, the NFL will be just like the Coal Industry in this country. They will be sued to the point they are not able to sustain it. It took 40 years for Black Lung to ruin the coal industry (in terms of profitability). CTE will do the same thing to the NFL at some point because just like Black Lung, those in control try to sweep it under the rug. Watch and see.

I definitely see your point. The company I work for is very anti-pot and we are drug tested randomly. I spent last year fighting cancer and was not able to take THC pills because of my company rule. Well, it's a bit shady, but the rule was I could take the pills, but if I was drug tested, I would be fired. When you are taking 25 pills per day due to Chemo & Radiation, it's hard to keep them all down. Throwing them up doesn't do you any good. THC coats your stomach and allows you to keep them down.

Before I had cancer, I was very much against the players smoking pot. After a year in and out of the hospital and being told by actual doctors what marijuana can do for you in terms of helping with stomach issues, pain, depression, sleep etc. etc., I am not against it anymore and think the rule by the NFL is dumb. Only because of the pain these guys suffer from during & after their career. The NFL is all for giving them as many pain killers as they want, and not giving a crap if they get addicted (listen to Brett Favre's story). The NFL may have rules, just like any employer, but there are major differences. In ANY job, if you suffer from enough concussions, you can collect Work Comp. It's the law (and the field I work in). You CANNOT do this in the NFL. After enough concussions, you are simply out of a job, but you CANNOT collect Work Comp from it. There is no safety net for the player. This should be illegal. This is also the reason they continue to play through concussions. Someday, the NFL will be just like the Coal Industry in this country. They will be sued to the point they are not able to sustain it. It took 40 years for Black Lung to ruin the coal industry (in terms of profitability). CTE will do the same thing to the NFL at some point because just like Black Lung, those in control try to sweep it under the rug. Watch and see.

Surely I see your point from the perspective of cancer patients, or any other unfortunate health condition that befalls an individual and their family that is outside of their control. I would take it as far as allowing yet to be approved drugs available to people who are living in severe pain and or are dying with no cure at hand if the patient wants to try it and may be getting relief from it. Even if that is CTE.

I think for NFL players there is a different story here though. Players fully know about and choose the risk of the injuries long associated with playing. And still many of them play many years even though they could retire healthy early with a great start to their late 20's or 30's financially. If they need NFL illegal drugs to survive, then they can quit and start taking them. Because why should they keep smacking their heads if they need drugs for relief from smacking their heads?

My guess is if the coal miners made an average salary of about 3 million a year they would not have worked in those mines for more than a year or two (adjust for inflation etc...).

If I was in full control of the NFL, I would shut it down completely until players came to the table and signed waivers beyond anything that happens to them that is not currently being covered by the NFL. I would also put together a strong funding effort that both the league and it's players pay into to support ex players that as of this time are 45 years and older who have proven complications stemming from their days in the NFL. And then that fund would go away as that group of players pass on. It would be a good faith fund.

There is way too much information at hand for the past many years for players to be blaming the league any longer.

If he is not suspended, I will draft him again... in the right spot

Where would you rank him?

Thanks.

Word is he's been catching everything at OTA's. It's nice to have a WR with that Big Dog in him, that's going to get up there and fight for these catches. Plus he's got speed. Gruden hand picked him for a reason.

Word is he's been catching everything at OTA's. It's nice to have a WR with that Big Dog in him, that's going to get up there and fight for these catches. Plus he's got speed. Gruden hand picked him for a reason.

He's a better player when he smokes up. Just like that guy in Cleveland.

Its time to stop testing for weed. Its legal in a lot of places, not performance enhancing, not an addiction problem and has far more benefits than drawbacks. Its 2018, the league needs to wake up.

It is time for the employers who spend millions of dollars of payroll on individuals who call themselves professional athletes to become even more agressive against those employees who won't stop smoking drugs. Seriously, how hard is it to be drug free for 3 to 10 years of your life? Or whatever time? Jeez. Smoke 'til you die of lung cancer if you want, but do it after you make your millions. Can't wait that long?

No matter what anyone personally thinks about smoking, drinking, drug use, etc... people who pay millions in salary to other people whose worth is based on their health, should have the right to place contingencies upon salary and payment.

My employer doesn't care if it is legal in several states. If I do it, I get fired. No suspension, no slap on the wrist. FIRED. As in, you're done here. Period. End of story. Why is it different for professional athletes. Lots of guys who can catch a football who would love to have his roster spot.

That said, I hope he is clean and working hard on his craft. I'd much rather see him succeed on the field instead of wind up in prison.

It is time for the employers who spend millions of dollars of payroll on individuals who call themselves professional athletes to become even more agressive against those employees who won't stop smoking drugs. Seriously, how hard is it to be drug free for 3 to 10 years of your life? Or whatever time? Jeez. Smoke 'til you die of lung cancer if you want, but do it after you make your millions. Can't wait that long?

No matter what anyone personally thinks about smoking, drinking, drug use, etc... people who pay millions in salary to other people whose worth is based on their health, should have the right to place contingencies upon salary and payment.

Your more aggressive stance has led us to where we are now. The war on marijuana as a medicine is over. Your side lost. In 2020 the new CBA will no longer penalize nor test players for using marijuana. CBD oil, extracted from marijuana is medicine and recently even the FDA acknowledged and approved it as medicine. It is a great medicine for swelling and injuries.

You attempt to disqualify anyone's opinion that varies from yours in your second paragraph. Sure proof that your argument is weak. Sad you do not know the difference between a plant that God put on this tiny pebble of a planet and man made drugsss.

• Like 1

Your more aggressive stance has led us to where we are now. The war on marijuana as a medicine is over. Your side lost. In 2020 the new CBA will no longer penalize nor test players for using marijuana. CBD oil, extracted from marijuana is medicine and recently even the FDA acknowledged and approved it as medicine. It is a great medicine for swelling and injuries.

You attempt to disqualify anyone's opinion that varies from yours in your second paragraph. Sure proof that your argument is weak. Sad you do not know the difference between a plant that God put on this tiny pebble of a planet and man made drugsss.

I respect the rights of a company with policies. I'm fighting no drug war. Your reply to my statements is simply a way for you to yell about wanting pot to be made legal.

I just think that if a player takes drugs that their employer had put into the terms of employment as not to take, but still they can't lay off them, they have a bigger personal problem than any job issues that arise from it. The guys get paid well to follow the rules for a few years. If they bargain in a "smoke em if you got em" clause, that's fine with me.

But in the big picture, maybe I do have an issue with introducing another readily availible drug for people to get addicted to, adding more f'd up people driving around our roads, smoking around their kids, etc. And for you to just claim this is just a wonderful God's green earth cure-all is not smart.

Pot is mostly desired as a recreational drug by the average citizen and the now many "coveted" illegal citizens. Let it be legal, but be prepared to have to deal with the outcomes.

Oct. 2017 note from an article about this God's green earth wonder drug people go on about:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4354196

"While medical marijuana may have short-term benefits, long-term use may result in increased aggressive behaviours or even worsening of symptoms.

Today's medical marijuana is also not what it once was. Generally, we've seen a consistent increase in the THC content of marijuana the main psychoactive component from the 1960s to the present day. In fact, THC is being sold by licensed producers at concentrations of greater than 15 percent in a substantial proportion of available strains.

Still experimental

Why is this a problem? The cannabis used in medical research contains less than 10 percent THC. We do know that using cannabis with higher THC concentrations is associated with an increased risk of psychosis, and we really don't know much about the medical effects at these higher concentrations."

I respect the rights of a company with policies. I'm fighting no drug war. Your reply to my statements is simply a way for you to yell about wanting pot to be made legal.

I just think that if a player takes drugs that their employer had put into the terms of employment as not to take, but still they can't lay off them, they have a bigger personal problem than any job issues that arise from it. The guys get paid well to follow the rules for a few years. If they bargain in a "smoke em if you got em" clause, that's fine with me.

But in the big picture, maybe I do have an issue with introducing another readily availible drug for people to get addicted to, adding more f'd up people driving around our roads, smoking around their kids, etc. And for you to just claim this is just a wonderful God's green earth cure-all is not smart.

Pot is mostly desired as a recreational drug by the average citizen and the now many "coveted" illegal citizens. Let it be legal, but be prepared to have to deal with the outcomes.

You respect the right of companies over the rights of the individual. Got it. Why are you lying, I did not yell at anyone?? Do you need to make stuff up because your argument is weak?

Nice of you to completely gloss over my CBD reference. Likely marijuana will help you or somebody you love someday.

Nice job of working in your hatred of brown people. Coveted illegal citizens is a new term I had not heard.

You respect the right of companies over the rights of the individual. Got it. Why are you lying, I did not yell at anyone?? Do you need to make stuff up because your argument is weak?

Nice of you to completely gloss over my CBD reference. Likely marijuana will help you or somebody you love someday.

Nice job of working in your hatred of brown people. Coveted illegal citizens is a new term I had not heard.

Smileseer you sound like someone who wants a handout. In the real world where you are forced to work to worship God and raise a family the companies or employer is first. Cry as u may, your tattoed and they will not let you run there company. 1 way or another they will find or invent a way to get rid of you.

Marijuana has not and will not cause lung cancer.

That is truly unsupported commentary on your part.

But aside from some people just being pot lovers, given the way the NFL has a strict no-nonsense policy and extensive list of items that players can not have in their body, what makes those people think that the NFL would just go and add a drug to their "good" list that is not even legal (in one form or another) in all the states where they are represented by teams?

And it's not just the NFL that tests for pot. I have been tested before and if I failed I would have not gotten the job. So I just didn't smoke up, easy-peasy.

Bryant and Josh Gordon and Ricky Williams seem to have either chosen pot over the NFL, and/or are struggling with addiction.

Smileseer you sound like someone who wants a handout. In the real world where you are forced to work to worship God and raise a family the companies or employer is first. Cry as u may, your tattoed and they will not let you run there company. 1 way or another they will find or invent a way to get rid of you.

I have no idea how you deducted that I want a handout. I have never taken one and have zero intention of needing or wanting a handout in the future. I've worked for a company for 18 years with yearly sales over one billion. Your delusional "real world where you are forced to work to worship God" does not exist in my real world. My relationship with God takes a much higher priority to me than my company being first, and the company I work for is 100% ok with that. I have been in management for over ten years so my company has let me run a segment of their company. 18 years...When excatly will they get rid of me?

You are the crybaby here. Clearly you rush to judgement of others and have been proven to be wrong again.

I have no idea how you deducted that I want a handout. I have never taken one and have zero intention of needing or wanting a handout in the future. I've worked for a company for 18 years with yearly sales over one billion. Your delusional "real world where you are forced to work to worship God" does not exist in my real world. My relationship with God takes a much higher priority to me than my company being first, and the company I work for is 100% ok with that. I have been in management for over ten years so my company has let me run a segment of their company. 18 years...When excatly will they get rid of me?

You are the crybaby here. Clearly you rush to judgement of others and have been proven to be wrong again.

Not about if your company allows you to be a druggie, its about you thinking your above the rules of the company. You can talk billions of dollars you made for the company, years of service you had, but they wont blink if they decide its time for you to go.

It's almost as if you could replace "the almighty" with "the company" in his world view. Interesting.

That we disagree regarding the use of cannabis for medical (or recreational) purposes doesn't surprise me. It's a complicated issue.

Hopefully the almighty wont let me think I can do things in life without consequences. And if my wife suggested something that put my job at risk, ill ask that she spends a day dumpster diving first.

It's almost as if you could replace "the almighty" with "the company" in his world view. Interesting.

That we disagree regarding the use of cannabis for medical (or recreational) purposes doesn't surprise me. It's a complicated issue.

I agree. The legalization (or not) of pot is of itself its own animal to discuss. But since this is about the NFL, it's about a business.

Do you think companies should not have the right to instill their own rules aside from the race, religion, etc., laws?

I have not been a business owner even once in my life, but I am still a believer in at-will employment practices in the business world. For good reasons too.

The whole "The Almighty" comment indicates you prefer a different structure of corporate law? Or maybe I misunderstand your take? Which is possible.

But maybe just say what you would like to see from a new business approach implemented by government intervention. Like maybe, all employees of all corporations should be able to use any drugs they choose as long as it can't be proven by the business that it hurts the employees expected performance? Meaning, burden of proof is on the employer? This is a bad example though because that would cripple business in our country but it's just off the top of my head.

I am a business owner. All my employees sign off on our insurance mandated drug policy which is as follows:

Don't be high (on anything) at work because you can hurt yourself or others. If I suspect you are, you agree to take a drug test. If your test comes back positive your employment can be terminated.

Those who've been with me for some time understand that I don't care what they do on their own time - they can smoke all the dope they want without issue unless it impacts their job performance. I don't care who they pray to or sleep with either for that matter.

I care about their abilty to do the work I need. What goes down after they punch out os their business.

The NFL and its teams are privately owned. As such it is up to them to determine how to administer their contracts. The cannabis as medicine issue - getting their players healed as quickly and completely as possible - is seperate from the social issue of recreational drug use imo.

I'd imagine if teams were able they would prefer to be able to use medicine that carried less long term risk than some of the painkillers that are currently in use.

But with everything being politicized and their just getting past the anthem protests I doubt they want to draw more attention.

Very fair and well said ralphster. But one question I would ask is, if I own a company that pays people huge amounts of salary based purely upon their personal physical performace that is way way above most human standards given their job description, do I not have the right to contractually specify what I want them to not put into their bodies? Only if they agree to that contract that is...because they can refuse to sign if they want.

For anything medicinal, pot isn't tested enough in some state's minds. Let it play out and let the NFL choose if they accept it or not.

im high right now.

It's Friday; you ain't got no job you ain't got shitte to do :bandana:
  • Like 1

It's Friday; you ain't got no job you ain't got shitte to do :bandana:

disc golf tourny in butte tomorrow

the kids division is wide open.

Cool. So you can participate. You are probably some ken climo lover. Wear your signed t-shirt!