Sign in to follow this  
polecatt

Dez Bryant?

After putting up 3 straight seasons as a top WR1, Dez has been through 3 seasons where he has been injury plagued and just ineffective.

His WR1 status is now at WR3 at best. He has had chemistry problems with QB Dak Prescott for 2 seasons. Concerns about his ability to get separation from defenders seems real. The injuries could be piling up and his effectiveness on a sharp decline.

He is certainly in the doghouse in Dallas. It's likely he will be asked to take a pay cut or possibly even be released.

If he stays in Dallas it looks like we see what kind of WR he will be, one that lingers on your fantasy bench or regretful in your starting line up.

If he does change teams however, what are the chances he returns to fantasy stardom?

I think he is what we've seen the past few seasons.

Don't see him being more then a wr2.

Dez gets no separation. His entire game is catching jump balls.

That's not today's NFL. When dbs could grab and push and hold receivers, guys like dez were awesome because you needed someoje big to outmuscle defensive backs.

Now you can't do any of that, so the game is all about getting that completion % up hitting open guys. Dez doesn't get open. He's an albatross at his salary.

Can be a WR2 if you go RB-heavy early. There's a chance his production can match his ADP since it will be at a career low. But like most others, I'm not confident in him - would let him be someone else's issue in 2018

Dez's fire and commitment is as strong as it's ever been, anyone thinking otherwise is clueless... No player spends more time and effort at the practice facility than he - nobody.

Dez's problem, simply put - is that he's not as good as he was, or should be at his price... He runs only a handful of routes, gets no separation, and can't be counted on to catch the routine ball.

But we're really in a bind with him.. Jerry won't cut him, we can't burn a first on a wr and - bcoz of the money he has to play.... Maybe if we had a staff that had a clue, they could figure out a way to make him an asset........but we don't.

• Like 1

Romo was such a superior Qb in his last few seasons than Dak has been. Romo was light years ahead of where Dak is mentally. Nobody has suffered more than Dez.

A weak coaching staff is part to blame also.

Staughbach and Aikman more vertical, Romo, Prescott, short passes and run. Dez has been in a bad situation but he stuck around and left carrying Whittens jock strap for his going away gift.

Dez's fire and commitment is as strong as it's ever been, anyone thinking otherwise is clueless... No player spends more time and effort at the practice facility than he - nobody.

Dez's problem, simply put - is that he's not as good as he was, or should be at his price... He runs only a handful of routes, gets no separation, and can't be counted on to catch the routine ball.

But we're really in a bind with him.. Jerry won't cut him, we can't burn a first on a wr and - bcoz of the money he has to play.... Maybe if we had a staff that had a clue, they could figure out a way to make him an asset........but we don't.

I just get this feeling that his next contract year, he will produce. I think he doesn't give a shlt any more. He might want to work on not costing the Cowboys games if he is working so hard

I just get this feeling that his next contract year, he will produce. I think he doesn't give a shlt any more. He might want to work on not costing the Cowboys games if he is working so hard

Next contract? He's about to be 30 now, signed thru 2019....... By the time his next contract comes up he'll be 31.. Heck, he's already slow now - no way he gets a bonanza deal next time around. This is it as far as big paydays - he will soon be forgotten.

Not all of the problem is dez--it's just a toxic stew of ineffectuality. dak lacks romo's ability to get the most out of his WRs (command of the offense, improvisation, touch, accuracy), and dez has always been a special case. next is the scheme, which puts the DAL outside WRs on 9 routes more than any other team in the league. the cowboys just don't go in for advanced route concepts. at a meta level, garrett has proven to have tunnel vision and to be over-reliant on 1 phase of the game for his entire career. first romo, then the offensive line, and finally elliott. if the one phase wasn't working for some reason, the offense simply couldn't function because garrett won't adapt. and finally, dez clearly is in both physical decline (was single covered most of the year, knee tendonitis) and mental decline (assignment issues, drops).

with some O-line continuity, elliott in the backfield, and some scheme adjustments, dez could have another big season or two (solid WR1, not monster godceiver). but that will be hard to assess from a FF drafting perspective. IMO, smart drafters will let dez be someone else's problem unless he falls substantially.

to be fair there was stats that came out last week ( cant remember where but ill have a look ) showing that in contested catches dez was a top WR1, people make a bigger deal about the separation he gets that it really is.

yes he doesn't get yards of separation but he is a unit who doesn't need it he wins the ball in the air if put high enough, I think the only reason we are seeing issues now is because dak isn't sure of himself enough to throw those balls unless his receiver is in yards of space, Romo to his credit new daz doesn't have to be open to be open, just give him half a chance in the air he will usually come down with it.

now dosnt get me wrong dez's performance has a big effect on his attitude.

I think either dak relaxes more and starts to throw it up high in tight coverage and we will see for ourselves if dez is done or if that throw isn't in daks plan then dez must move on.

Link - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915001/article/stefon-diggs-marvin-jones-among-top-10-tightwindow-receivers

with some O-line continuity, elliott in the backfield, and some scheme adjustments, dez could have another big season or two (solid WR1, not monster godceiver). but that will be hard to assess from a FF drafting perspective. IMO, smart drafters will let dez be someone else's problem unless he falls substantially.

Agreed.

With Red and Linehan on the chopping block - I can only hope that they finally wake up and get the message. I hope they take off the gloves, go outside the box, let caution fly to the wind - and go out guns a'blazing........bcoz there is talent here.