Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

Dolphins cutting their WR corps, trade for Kenny Stills

Interesting moves , I would not be a happy camper if I was the QB .

Wallace will get cut once they realize no one will trade for him... Considerable amount of dead money on the team... Like to see them develop a top defense and a strong running game while building through the draft.

Their previous GM - Jeff Ireland? - really screwed up that team a couple of years ago, with several free-agents signings. And, also giving B. Hartline a boatload of money for basically one decent season, from a traditional possession receiver. I'm glad the NY Giants have Jerry Reese!

Did Hartline and Gibson really cost the Fins that much?

Interesting moves , I would not be a happy camper if I was the QB .

you'd prefer your WRs to be inferior?

Hartline was set to make 5.9 million, Gibson was due 3.5 million. Cutting them means they can likely pay Wallace for one more year, but they should cut bait on that locker room cancer now while they can. Resign Clay and then draft a big bodied red zone target type.

Cutting Gibson saved about 3 million on the cap. Hartline about the same, but also clears up 14 million over 2016 and 2017.

Hartline 4.2M in dead cap. Gibson another 1M.

Hartline was set to make 5.9 million, Gibson was due 3.5 million. Cutting them means they can likely pay Wallace for one more year, but they should cut bait on that locker room cancer now while they can. Resign Clay and then draft a big bodied red zone target type.

Parker at #14 would work... Vikings, Browns and Saints right in front of them...

Hartline 4.2M in dead cap. Gibson another 1M.

Okay. 4.2M I get. 1M is pocket change. I'm just surprised a team with a young growing QB and a bad receiving corps would cut 2 veteran WRs instead of trying to restructure, just for continuity. Not that Hartline or Gibson are anything to write home about.

Okay. 4.2M I get. 1M is pocket change. I'm just surprised a team with a young growing QB and a bad receiving corps would cut 2 veteran WRs instead of trying to restructure, just for continuity. Not that Hartline or Gibson are anything to write home about.

That's how much money their contracts still count against the team. Like I said earlier, cutting them saves about 3 million each this year, and cutting Hartline saves about 7 million in both 2016 and 2017.

Brian Hartline gone.

Brandon Gibson gone.

Mike Wallace may end up being cut...

Jarvis Landry catches 200 passes next year!

Hartline may be back, according to today's supposition:

Report: Dolphins interested in re-signing Brian Hartline

by R.J. White | CBSSports.com

(2:32 pm ET) The Dolphins have interest in re-signing wide receiver Brian Hartline, who was released last week in order to clear cap space, the Sun Sentinel reports.

Hartline caught 39 passes for 474 yards with two touchdowns in 2014. He was due to make $5.95 million in 2015 under the terms of his previous contract, but he requested to be released in order to discover his market value before agreeing to a restructure of his contract. His agents say that he should have a few visits set up for later this week is expected to agree to a new deal as early as Thursday.

Also today, there's this:

The team has placed the transition tag on TE Charles Clay.

Jason_OTC @Jason_OTC 2 hours ago

That is stunning for Miami to tag Clay. They must plan on moving Wallace and don't want to completely gut their group.

I think they should cut the franchise.

Miami hasn't been worth !@#$ since Dan Marino left. Completely dysfunctional organization.

Transition tag on Charles focking Clay? :lol:

Why is that funny? He's a good tight end.

Why is that funny? He's a good tight end.

Meh, he's a decent, not great, pass catching tight end and that's about it. Very one dimensional and not even outstanding in that one dimension.

Meh, he's a decent, not great, pass catching tight end and that's about it. Very one dimensional and not even outstanding in that one dimension.

I think Dion Sims is a better receiver, but Clay has some Celek in him - good blocker with acceptable hands that can handle the seam and redzone looks. After cutting the WR corps and Wallace hanging by a thread keeping Clay was a good move from the fins.

Landry, Hartline and Clay is a solid blue collar receiving group, spend the money on defense and in the trenches... Its a smart move.

I think he is EXTREMELY multi dimensional.. Guy could play H back no problem. Dude is just a football player

I'm curious is this could be a destination for Andre Johnson? He is from the U.

Was thinking the same with Frank Gore. They could have a little re-U-nion (see what I did there?).
  • Like 1

Was thinking the same with Frank Gore. They could have a little re-U-nion (see what I did there?).

Yeah you're too slick for your own good. ;)

Mike Tannenbaum: Dolphins TE Charles Clay to visit Browns, Bills

by Igor Mello | CBSSports.com

(11:53 am ET) Dolphins executive vice president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum revealed that tight end Charles Clay will visit the Browns, in addition to the Bills, according to the Palm Beach Post.

Miami placed a transition tag on Clay last week, which gives them the right to match any offer he signs. Both teams are likely to offer a front-loaded contract to Clay to keep Miami away from matching. The Dolphins also hosted Browns tight end Jordan Cameron on Thursday.

"Obviously he has the right to visit other teams and he's doing that," Tannenbaum said on WQAM radio in Miami. "So while he's checking out his options, we're checking out ours."

Clay, 26, spent his first four seasons with the Dolphins. In 2014, he turned 84 targets into 58 receptions for 605 yards and three touchdowns.

Can't shake the impression that Tannenbaum sounds just like a jilted girlfriend with that quote. : )

Can't shake the impression that Tannenbaum sounds just like a jilted girlfriend with that quote. : )

Oh hell ya. So they restructure Wallace and sign JorCam to a play time incentive laden contract. In the meantime sleeper candidate Dion Sims quietly creeps up ADP lists...

Exactly what I thought when I read that quote.

Meanwhile, the WR who's way overpaid and yet quit on the team remains on the roster.

Who and who? They all suck, its irrelevant who they cut. They need to draft some guys and bring in some vets.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/13/saints-trade-kenny-stills-to-miami-for-dannell-ellerbe-and-a-third/

A league source tells PFT that the Saints are dealing wide receiver Kenny Stills to the Dolphins, in exchange for linebacker Dannell Ellerbe and a third-round pick.

Ellerbe was reported to be cut by the Dolphins, but they never turned in the paperwork, so they could do such a deal.

I'm still floored by the Saints trading Graham. But ... Sean Payton would seem to be a guy that can put that offense back together.