Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Darren McFadden to sign with Cowboys

FWIW I think this is a completely underwhelming signing and anyone who defends it is a longhorn apologist. I know Jerrah could not afford to resign Demarco. But you gotta tell me he coulda ponyed up a bit more to land someone actually worthy of note. Unless this is a bridge to AP taking almost nothing this year in exchange for lots the next two then I'd be a depressed and disheartened cowboy fan about now.

disagree, man--i think this was the best kind of move. we get basically a free look at a guy who is good in protection, and an excellent receiver out of the backfield--something that we just don't have on the roster. if he doesn't have the chops, he's only $200K of dead money--compare that to mathews. would i rather have had ingram? absolutely, but he just didn't hit the market. who else was out there that would 1: be a good fit, and 2: be cap-friendly enough to let us focus on defense?

DAL and PHI will most likely have very similar rushing production next season. it will cost PHI $15M, and us $6M. i'll take that all day long.

I'm thinking of taking him as my 3rd rb this coming year

He won't be there. The name recognition along with the vaunted Dallas O-line will have him long gone in redrafts.

He won't be there. The name recognition along with the vaunted Dallas O-line will have him long gone in redrafts.

A lot if guys have been burned by him in the past. Even wither the Dallas O-Line I see people still being hesitant to take him based off his injury history

A lot if guys have been burned by him in the past. Even wither the Dallas O-Line I see people still being hesitant to take him based off his injury history

Will be interesting to see where he goes in redrafts.

I know Jerrah could not afford to resign Demarco.

This one statement proves just how ignorant you are on the subject. And I mean that respectfully, was not a slap - but you're really not in touch with the situation.

As far as DMC - he was an incredible gamble, the kind of bets that only come along every so often... Until you can remove the notion that he will not be the featured back, nothing else is worth explaining bcoz you won't understand.

This one statement proves just how ignorant you are on the subject. And I mean that respectfully, was not a slap - but you're really not in touch with the situation.

As far as DMC - he was an incredible gamble, the kind of bets that only come along every so often... Until you can remove the notion that he will not be the featured back, nothing else is worth explaining bcoz you won't understand.

maybe he'll have a breakout year

Cruzer I know you aren't flaming. But if the boys need to spend that money elsewhere then saying 'I know Jerrah could not afford to resign DeMarco' would be true no? DMac is a gamble like R McClain was last year. That panned out (kinda) but I noticed they haven't resigned him yet. If they were offering Murray 4 mil why didn't they put the press on Gore or RMat? Both could've been had for the offer they had on the table for Murray.

Cruzer I know you aren't flaming. But if the boys need to spend that money elsewhere then saying 'I know Jerrah could not afford to resign DeMarco' would be true no? DMac is a gamble like R McClain was last year. That panned out (kinda) but I noticed they haven't resigned him yet. If they were offering Murray 4 mil why didn't they put the press on Gore or RMat? Both could've been had for the offer they had on the table for Murray.

All good points -but it's kind of like this... Know when you are line at the store, and a small kid is like, "Mommy, mommy, I want this, I want that, etc." And she says, "no, costs too much, I don't have any money." Well it's not that she doesn't have $4 extra dollars, it's that she doesn't want to waste that money on something so unnecessary... Same with the Cowboys.

At the time Murray was making his decision - Dallas was at about $12m under the cap. If needed, another $12m or so could of been freed up by restructuring Romo's deal. Another $4/5m could have been freed up by either redoing Carr's deal, or cutting him altogether. Another $7m or so could have been freed up by signing Dez to a long term deal... So the idea that Jerry didn't have any money isn't exactly true. The truth is Stephen Jones, Will McClay and a few others inside the power structure didn't want commit that kind of money to a rb - especially one with an injury history and coming off 450 touches... And for all of Romo's theatrics on late night television and in the press pleading for Murray - he didn't exactly step up and offer to give any of his money back to keep him (a la p. manning).

As far As Gore or Matthews - just another example of the new direction Stephen and Will are taking with this team... This team is finally grasping the concept that you can't build teams thru free agency - you build them thru the draft. We offered Murray a deal bcoz he was already here, but we didn't panic and just resign a veteran FA just for the sake of having one. DMC is a complimentary piece, the answer is in the draft.

At the end of the day we basically traded D. Murray for DMC, G. Hardy and a top rated rookie rb - I'll take that.

If they were offering Murray 4 mil why didn't they put the press on Gore or RMat? Both could've been had for the offer they had on the table for Murray.

gore is a progress-stopper--an older player who prevents the development of younger ones. mathews would have been better, but...injuries. DAL has been looking at two teams a lot over the last couple of years--GB and NE. GB focuses on nurturing its own talent (which it can afford to do due to rodgers). NE is the opposite--RB is a revolving door of FA role players. IMO, they went into the FA period with a plan: sign murray at a helpful number (which a team-friendly dez deal may have allowed), or draft an RB.

the difference between mcclain and DMC is that the former was brought in to be a starter, while the latter was not. DMC was brought in to compete as a 3rd down back. according to the local sports grapevine, the lack of movement of mcclain is due to concerns about his head and durability. there are reports that he mentally checked out at times last season, which bothered the coaching staff. and there is no question that he was dealing with a ton of nagging injuries--the two concussions late in the season are particularly worrisome.

cruzer has it right--losing murray meant gaining hardy. there is a reason that elite edge rushers make more money than elite RBs. they have a greater impact on the game, and they're much, much harder to replace. everyone wants to look at the number 1845: murray's yardage in 2014.

i'm much more interested in the number 28: DAL's team sack total in 2014.

I like DeMarco, but I'm happy with Hardy. Dallas had to get an edge rusher and those don't magically happen through the draft as a rookie. We can draft a very good Running Back though who can contribute greatly as a rookie. I like DMC a lot too.

Is Joseph Randle getting susupended or will he be ready week 1?

frankly, i think he has a good chance to get cut. DAL didn't size williams to a futures contract for nothing, and he turned down offers from ~10 other teams last season--staying on the DAL practice squad instead of signing to the active roster elsewhere.

I'm not sure he won't be the feature back. I say that because looking at that roster, I don't see any other feature back. Now, I do know how to read. So I do see you guys are saying 'McClain' and I'll take your word for it that he'll be given first dibs but I'm going to keep my eye on it because I never heard of the guy. In my mind, 'McClain' written in pencil.

The FA well is dry. Now, if Dallas goes ahead and drafts one of these hotshot rookies, well there you go, but as the roster stands now, DMC looks to me to have as much a chance at being the feature back as anyone, '3rd down RB' press release or no.

This Dallas RB job may go RBBC which sucks but if it goes to one guy, it'll be gold. Of course that's no secret to anybody. Even a mediocre guy in the Dallas RB job is fully capable of getting us a high first round level of FF production and since the position is unresolved, all eyes are going to be on it.

If the Cowboys go into the season with McFadden has their number one Rb it won't last long . He won't last long . Looks like more passing for Romo this season and that's good news for PPR leagues .

Voltaire, on 30 Mar 2015 - 12:28 AM, said:

I'm not sure he won't be the feature back. I say that because looking at that roster, I don't see any other feature back. Now, I do know how to read. So I do see you guys are saying 'McClain' and I'll take your word for it that he'll be given first dibs but I'm going to keep my eye on it because I never heard of the guy. In my mind, 'McClain' written in pencil. The FA well is dry. Now, if Dallas goes ahead and drafts one of these hotshot rookies, well there you go, but as the roster stands now, DMC looks to me to have as much a chance at being the feature back as anyone, '3rd down RB' press release or no. This Dallas RB job may go RBBC which sucks but if it goes to one guy, it'll be gold. Of course that's no secret to anybody. Even a mediocre guy in the Dallas RB job is fully capable of getting us a high first round level of FF production and since the position is unresolved, all eyes are going to be on it.

McClain? Did you mean McClay? If you did - no, you're aren't going to find him on the roster. Will McClay is the unofficial #1 Football guy inside the Cowboys power structure. His official title is Assistant Director of Player Personnel. In nutshell - McClay and Stephen Jones are the ones calling the football shots in Dallas now days.

From a fantasy perspective, I really couldn't care less - after 20+ years of playing I gave it up. My only vested interest is in my team being good on the field and winning.

weepaws, on 30 Mar 2015 - 12:34 AM, said:

If the Cowboys go into the season with McFadden has their number one Rb it won't last long . He won't last long . Looks like more passing for Romo this season and that's good news for PPR leagues .

It's possible. It's also possible that the DMC all saw in college will finally emerge and be that kind of rb again. For the 1st time in his career he will have bona fide star at qb, a bona fide all world wr on the outside and the best offensive line in the league - 3 things he never sniffed in Oakland.

You are right about all three things . But he can't seem to stay on the field . Look if he can stay on the field he should have a great season behind the Oline and with a Qb like Romo I agree with you on that . Still I don't see it lasting long

You are right about all three things . But he can't seem to stay on the field . Look if he can stay on the field he should have a great season behind the Oline and with a Qb like Romo I agree with you on that . Still I don't see it lasting long

Even if it doesn't work out - signing him was a tremendous move and great value risk. All DMC is guaranteed is $200,000, so if released he costs nothing... On the flip side: he's still very big & strong, he's a very good pass catcher, he's a very good pass protector and the dude can run like the wind. He has already said that if he gets a hole like some of the ones Murray got - they won't catch him.

No question he has the talent and upside . And he could be a great move for the Cowboys . But I am on the wait and see list . He will be on my draft board but not as high as others will list him I'm sure . But again I do agree with your statements about him.

Here is what I don't like about McFadden . 2014 he avg 3.4 per rush while Murray avg 5.2 , 2013 he avg 3.3 per rush while Jennings avg 4.5 and in 2012 he avg 3.3 per rush . They all ran behind the same Oline while playing with the same QB . Those are not numbers that tell me that he still has a great burst . When it comes to ff he is a reach . Just don't see it lasting .

• Like 1

Here is what I don't like about McFadden . 2014 he avg 3.4 per rush while Murray avg 5.2 , 2013 he avg 3.3 per rush while Jennings avg 4.5 and in 2012 he avg 3.3 per rush . They all ran behind the same Oline while playing with the same QB . Those are not numbers that tell me that he still has a great burst . When it comes to ff he is a reach . Just don't see it lasting .

Well after 20+ years of playing FF I gave it up - just burned out on it. So I never look at a player from a fantasy perspective. But it is true DMC's ypc were not great in comparison to his teammates - but if that's your barometer, then Murray should of been playing behind Joseph Randle... Strictly from a value, asset allocation and need view - DMC was a great signing. For $200 grand - I'll gladly take the chance.

Like I said I agree . But that's why looking at it ff value will hesitate on ranking him as high as most .

Like I said I agree . But that's why looking at it ff value will hesitate on ranking him as high as most .

Yea I can see where Dallas' running back situation is going to be frustrating for fantasy owners... To have a line like that, and no real idea who's going to get the carries - ha, headaches for sure.

And I agree that for the Cowboys its a very good move , they really have nothing to lose picking him up .

To me, this is about the first good ff related post you've made weepaws. I encourage you to post more such worthy content.

Why not Ridley?

In a pinch, yea - he' be worth looking at. But Ridley doesn't jazz me and I highly doubt he'd play for some kind of minimum. As a 4 year veteran, I'd just assume not spend that kind of money on a back fresh off tearing up his knee. Another thing, even when healthy, Ridley doesn't really have a burst. His career long run is 43 yards - really?

To me, this is about the first good ff related post you've made weepaws. I encourage you to post more such worthy content.

And this is the first post from you that is worth a posting . Keep up the good work . Amen Brother

In a pinch, yea - he' be worth looking at. But Ridley doesn't jazz me and I highly doubt he'd play for some kind of minimum. As a 4 year veteran, I'd just assume not spend that kind of money on a back fresh off tearing up his knee. Another thing, even when healthy, Ridley doesn't really have a burst. His career long run is 43 yards - really?

Career average 4.3 ypc

19 TDs in 2012-2013

Why not take a shot? The injury is a concern, yes, but that also means his price tag is deeply discounted.

You mean fumbles Ridley?

Career average 4.3 ypc

19 TDs in 2012-2013

Why not take a shot? The injury is a concern, yes, but that also means his price tag is deeply discounted.

Well I'd definitely keep him on the radar. But my preference is to draft a rb. They'd be younger, cheaper, arguably more talented and no history of fumble problems like weepaws mentioned... Also have to keep in mind that our idea of cheap may not be what Ridley's idea is. Would he take a DMC kind of deal? Now that I'd be very interested in - but I don't see that happening.

My other concern is this - free agency has been in full swing for a few weeks now and Ridley is still available, in fact has hardly gotten a sniff - why? There has to be more to the story than what we're hearing.

Well I'd definitely keep him on the radar. But my preference is to draft a rb. They'd be younger, cheaper, arguably more talented and no history of fumble problems like weepaws mentioned... Also have to keep in mind that our idea of cheap may not be what Ridley's idea is. Would he take a DMC kind of deal? Now that I'd be very interested in - but I don't see that happening.

My other concern is this - free agency has been in full swing for a few weeks now and Ridley is still available, in fact has hardly gotten a sniff - why? There has to be more to the story than what we're hearing.

I think he's holding out for a nice contract, which he apparently isn't going to get. So if I'm the Cowboys, I make sure to be right there when he realizes he's going to have to take a pretty modest offer

I think he's holding out for a nice contract, which he apparently isn't going to get. So if I'm the Cowboys, I make sure to be right there when he realizes he's going to have to take a pretty modest offer

Yea I think teams like Dallas, Zona and SD (who all need a rb) are going to wait and see what shakes out in the draft. After that I'm sure Ridley will get a phone call from one of them. If we could land a starting corner and defensive lineman in the 1st two rounds - I'd be willing to take a look at him instead of maybe drafting a rb in the 3rd. I really hope B. Petty is still there in the 3rd - if he is, I hope we take him.

Zona seems like a very good fit for Ridley

And this is the first post from you that is worth a posting . Keep up the good work . Amen Brother

Aww shucks. Thanks for the quote back weepy, but I think you missed the gist! The post of yours I quoted above truly was the only worthy thing you've typed on this forearm since you've been here imo. 4K posts of trolling drivel, most of it condescending and unnecessary. May god bless you to the foulest pit of hell, where satan himself skullfocks yer eyeholes till you finally get the depth and breadth of my contempt for you. Cheers!

Aww shucks. Thanks for the quote back weepy, but I think you missed the gist! The post of yours I quoted above truly was the only worthy thing you've typed on this forearm since you've been here imo. 4K posts of trolling drivel, most of it condescending and unnecessary. May god bless you to the foulest pit of hell, where satan himself skullfocks yer eyeholes till you finally get the depth and breadth of my contempt for you. Cheers!

dude...you're not abiding.

this aggression will not stand, man.

dude...you're not abiding.

this aggression will not stand, man.

yer totally right dude. time for a beverage.

Always use a capitol when spelling God . Amen brother .

Always use a capitol when spelling God . Amen brother .

Duly noted. Sorry I was being a jerk weepy.