Sign in to follow this  
Flyfreak

Finally, some Chargers News

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, there's been league-wide speculation that the Chargers "could be serious" about going after Oregon QB Marcus Mariota.

Reporter Kevin Acee's report cites "numerous people in and around the league." The Bolts have scheduled a private workout with Mariota next month. It's unlikely Mariota would fall to the Chargers at No. 17, so a trade up would likely be necessary to secure his services. Per Acee, the speculation comes as Philip Rivers' Chargers future is up in the air. Rivers intends to play out the final year of his deal without an extension, while GM Tom Telesco wouldn't offer a blanket denial that Rivers could eventually be traded.

i like this style of nfl intrigue: will rivers leave for denver next year, will mariota be drafted, will the chargers and eagles battle for mariota

it's nerve wracking

What the offseason rumor mill would have us believe...

Tampa Bay doesn't want Mariota

Tennessee doesn't want Mariota

All the other 30 teams are trying to trade up to take Mariota

I think the chargers would be crazy I get rid of rivers for Mariota. Maybe have Mariota learn under rivers for a while before trading him away.

The Chargers are worried they're gonna get get Suhed.

Apparently Rivers caught wind of the rumors and is using whatever influence he has as franchise QB to affect management's decision on whether or not to relocate the team to LA.

"What we’ve established here with my growing family is hard to recreate," Rivers said. "The good thing is I’m not under contract in a year where we’d potentially be in Los Angeles."

----

And in other Chargers' news, Stevie Johnson is on board. He's a bit long in the tooth at this point in his career but he's finally going to have a QB worth beans throwing him the ball.

Love the offseason news and notes .

Stevie Johnson is a solid route runner, and deadly in the red zone. I'll take a late round flier on him, in 2015.

Stevie Johnson is a solid route runner, and deadly in the red zone. I'll take a late round flier on him, in 2015.

Same here. I'll also do that with Maclin. 4 or 5th receiver are when id draft them

What do the Bolts have to offer in order to move up - future #1's?

gates, allen and a 3rd

I hate to break the news to you, but if you think a 34 year old TE, scheduled to count $9.7m against the cap, really good promising wr and a 3rd is going to get you a franchise qb, 2nd overall pick - you are on crack. Keep dreaming.

I hate to break the news to you, but if you think a 34 year old TE, scheduled to count $9.7m against the cap, really good promising wr and a 3rd is going to get you a franchise qb, 2nd overall pick - you are on crack. Keep dreaming.

a 2nd?

a 2nd?

Let me try and make this easy for you. NOBODY, and I mean nobody, drafting early enough to have a shot at 1 of the 2 franchise Qb's in this draft are going to make a trade that incudes taking on a 34-year old TE, on the backside of his career, with a $10m cap hit.... Any and all trades for Mariota (or Winston) starts with 2 1st rounders - period. And that's just a starting point. Hell Bradford got St. Louis a freaking 2nd round pick - quit dreaming.

Let me try and make this easy for you. NOBODY, and I mean nobody, drafting early enough to have a shot at 1 of the 2 franchise Qb's in this draft are going to make a trade that incudes taking on a 34-year old TE, on the backside of his career, with a $10m cap hit.... Any and all trades for Mariota (or Winston) starts with 2 1st rounders - period. And that's just a starting point. Hell Bradford got St. Louis a freaking 2nd round pick - quit dreaming.

Agreed. The Skins overpaid for RG3 but that doesn't mean Mariotta goes for chump change. The Skins would want Rivers, a swap of 1st rounders this year, and SD 1st rounder next. And SD should jump at it.

Agreed. The Skins overpaid for RG3 but that doesn't mean Mariotta goes for chump change. The Skins would want Rivers, a swap of 1st rounders this year, and SD 1st rounder next. And SD should jump at it.

Could see this happening. However, a lot of people are saying RGlll should get this year as his last year to prove himself. Personally I think he's a bum who is a bust. His best trick was running but since he got hurt he's been scared. Not a good passer at all but Skins fans still stand by him

if I can't dream, what do I have left

Could see this happening. However, a lot of people are saying RGlll should get this year as his last year to prove himself. Personally I think he's a bum who is a bust. His best trick was running but since he got hurt he's been scared. Not a good passer at all but Skins fans still stand by him

He was not a bum when 100%, but at 99% he is not NFL caliber. Gruden can't work with him. The Skins need him gone. SD might provide an excellent opportunity and the Skins can eat Rivers cost. WIn win.

Stevie Johnson is a solid signing for flanker and can easily move into the slot on 3rd down. Nice pick up.

He was not a bum when 100%, but at 99% he is not NFL caliber. Gruden can't work with him. The Skins need him gone. SD might provide an excellent opportunity and the Skins can eat Rivers cost. WIn win.

If all he can do is run then he's a bum. Not nfl caliber. He's a horrible pocket passer and is now scared to get hit. For a running Qb that's almost a death sentence for their career.

what are the Chargers going to do at RB now that Mathews is gone?

I'd be shocked if they don't take Gurley. If he's off the board, I bet they take Gordon.

I'd be shocked if they don't take Gurley. If he's off the board, I bet they take Gordon.

that leaves the boys picking up p.thomas

that leaves the boys picking up p.thomas

More like Tevin Coleman or Jay Ajayi. :thumbsup:

scraping the bottom tier

Neither of these 2 make it out of the 2nd Round. Your man crush Murray was a 3rd rounder.

Neither of these 2 make it out of the 2nd Round. Your man crush Murray was a 3rd rounder.

well, the boys aren't dumb enough to waste their first round pick on a rb, so i guess we'll see who's left standing at 60

well, the boys aren't dumb enough to waste their first round pick on a rb, so i guess we'll see who's left standing at 60

If Gurley or Gordon are off the board - I agree, go another direction and pick up a rb later in round 2 or 3. This draft is deep at rb and that would just fine. I also think Dallas considers taking a CB in the 1st Round no matter what if one is sitting there. Somebody like Kevin Johnson, or even Marcus Peters. Peters is a troubled kid and is a risk for sure - but he's also arguably the most talented corner in the draft.

If Gurley or Gordon are off the board - I agree, go another direction and pick up a rb later in round 2 or 3. This draft is deep at rb and that would just fine. I also think Dallas considers taking a CB in the 1st Round no matter what if one is sitting there. Somebody like Kevin Johnson, or even Marcus Peters. Peters is a troubled kid and is a risk for sure - but he's also arguably the most talented corner in the draft.

i don't see any rb's being taken in round one (maybe the browns or chargers), but they will go quickly in round 2

i don't see any rb's being taken in round one (maybe the browns or chargers), but they will go quickly in round 2

Really? Oh man, I don't see any way Gurley and Gordon aren't gone for sure in the 1st. I def don't see your Chargers passing on one of them. Do you really think they might? What do you think they would target if they do pass?

you can add the jets to that list as well, anyway, however you look at it the cowboys might end up with duke johnson at 60 and that's not gonna get it done for a team hoping to get to the sb

you can add the jets to that list as well, anyway, however you look at it the cowboys might end up with duke johnson at 60 and that's not gonna get it done for a team hoping to get to the sb

I think given the choice, Dallas would rather draft a defensive player than take Johnson. Not that he's not really good - but he's not Gordon or Gurley. Can have a comparable talent in Round 2 or 3.

I think given the choice, Dallas would rather draft a defensive player than take Johnson. Not that he's not really good - but he's not Gordon or Gurley. Can have a comparable talent in Round 2 or 3.

when do you think they'll draft a back if they don't use their second round pick?

when do you think they'll draft a back if they don't use their second round pick?

I think they will take a rb for sure in one of the first 3 rounds. Could be the 1st, 2nd or 3rd - but definitely somewhere in there. Nobody is talking about it, but we are in just as much dire need for a CB as we are a RB. I would not be surprised at all to see us go CB in Round 1, RB in the 2nd and then right back to CB or LB in the 3rd.

people are talking, but it seems quite unrealistic

Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones says the team is "wide open" to the possibility of drafting a running back.

Currently, the Cowboys are trying to replace last season's rushing leader, DeMarco Murray, with a trio of Darren McFadden, Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar. In other words, they don't have a viable plan on the roster. Georgia's Todd Gurley is the draft's top back, but it's unclear where he might get selected. Injury concerns could keep him out of Day 1, while he'd be unlikely to fall to the Cowboys at No. 60 on Day 2. Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon could be a more realistic target for Big D.
Related: Cowboys

Currently, the Cowboys are trying to replace last season's rushing leader, DeMarco Murray, with a trio of Darren McFadden, Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar. In other words, they don't have a viable plan on the roster.

This is not news, least not here.

This is not news, least not here.

but there is talk going on

i still think they should have taken murray for two more years while they have this open window, it wasn't the right time to move on from him

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport intimates the Chargers have left open the possibility of trading Philip Rivers.

The Chargers have made it clear they don't want to trade Rivers. "But what I have not heard, is we will not trade Rivers," were the words of Rapsheet on Path to the Draft. It may seem like a stretch, but general managers deal in this sort of doublespeak all the time. It's possible Tom Telesco has deliberately left himself some wiggle room in the event his franchise signal caller is shipped out. Although it's hard to picture Rivers in another uniform, his public comments on his Chargers future were far more direct than we're used to hearing from players.

i can see them moving rivers to move up to get mariota

i still think they should have taken murray for two more years while they have this open window, it wasn't the right time to move on from him

I really do believe you think this, don't doubt it a bit. You seem to have very little understanding of value, the salary cap and how they relate to each other.