Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

When will we have OTC antibiotics?

Flu mutates a lot regardless, and our native immunity has more influence than the vaccine in selective pressure for the seasonal strains.

Yes but it was a good analogy for the purpose of this talk. Im not trying to be technical here Im trying to give them a simple example they can understand that gets the basic point across

Yes but it was a good analogy for the purpose of this talk. Im not trying to be technical here Im trying to give them a simple example they can understand that gets the basic point across

Fair enough.

Which meds?

I do not know, but children's yeast infection medicine is one example.

Are you ok? You responded to my question with a question and then a vague response to my response.

Can I get someone who understands how to have a normal back and forth conversation over an Internet forum?

Go fock yourself :thumbsup:

Since I live mere miles away from one of the biggest heroin markets in the US (yay!) I have had the opportunity to see people administer Narcan once or twice. And every time I think, Why bother? My solution to the heroin epidemic would be to dose a large quantity with cyanide and cut to the chase.

Tan:

You dont prescribe antibiotics unless you have a bacterial infection. Such as a UTI or strep. Prescribing it for anything else overuses them and reduces their effectiveness. This leads to antibiotic resistant strains. Think of the flu. Every year theres a new flu vaccine. The reason? The flu virus mutates and adapts to the previous vaccines. Its just a simple change in its gene sequence that can effectively make the vaccine not effective. Antibiotic resistant bacteria can/will become resistant

I thought flu was viral and therefore not treated by antibiatoics? Is that not correct?

I thought flu was viral and therefore not treated by antibiatoics? Is that not correct?

I never said the flu was treated with antibiotics. I merely gave an analogy about how the flu mutates to adapt like bacteria can and will do I antibiotics are overprescribed

They have otc antibiotics here. Weak ones anyway, like amoxicillin and such. Different thing though as nobody ever takes them unless ordered to, as they think they are very bad for you.

Its nice to have around when you get a sinus infection or something. Beats having to waste half a day and a couple hundred bucks going to the doctor to tell you what you already know.

They have otc antibiotics here. Weak ones anyway, like amoxicillin and such. Different thing though as nobody ever takes them unless ordered to, as they think they are very bad for you.

Its nice to have around when you get a sinus infection or something. Beats having to waste half a day and a couple hundred bucks going to the doctor to tell you what you already know.

Thanks for contributing to the destruction of the human race. :thumbsup:

This is why it is wrong. Sinus infections are mostly viral and an antibiotic should not be taken.

Djgb13 was completely and 100% wrong with his analogy and the fact that anyone who works in the medicine field could have that belief is scary. The flu virus does NOT mutate as a response to vaccinations.

There is a good analogy on this topic and it does involve the flu. When a person takes antibiotics for the flu and realizes that it does not work or quits taking them early for any number of reasons there is a chance that bacteria in that persons body will become resistant to that antibiotic. Then that bacteria can pass the resistance onto other bacteria that it comes in contact with in the future.

This is why doctors who over prescribe antibiotics for issues such as the flu are doing society harm.

Djgb13 was completely and 100% wrong with his analogy and the fact that anyone who works in the medicine field could have that belief is scary. The flu virus does NOT mutate as a response to vaccinations.

Oh boy. My money is on Digby.

Oh boy. My money is on Digby.

One of my hobbies is reading medical studies. Nerd alert.

To double check my response I googled "Why does the Flu mutate" and I saw a couple articles at the top that discuss the flu vaccine and mutation. This was probably Digby's mistake. He took those articles at face value.

But if you actually click on an article you will find that they are talking about the flu mutating inside the egg when the vaccine is being generated. IE this means that the flu vaccine is protecting you against a mutated virus and not against the virus that the pharmaceutical company wanted to protect you against.

The flu does not mutate as a response to people being vaccinated.

• Like 1

Technically, antivirals are used to treat flu, but people sometimes lump them in with antibiotics to denote medicines used to treat infection.

This is why it is wrong. Sinus infections are mostly viral and and antibiotic should not be taken.

Correct. Sinusitis, bronchitis, otitis and presumed urinary tract infections are probably the biggest sources of antibiotic overprescription. But even more are used in the meat industry to keep the overcrowded animals from getting sick before slaughter.

There is a good analogy on this topic and it does involve the flu. When a person takes antibiotics for the flu and realizes that it does not work or quits taking them early for any number of reasons there is a chance that bacteria in that persons body will become resistant to that antibiotic. Then that bacteria can pass the resistance onto other bacteria that it comes in contact with in the future.

This is why doctors who over prescribe antibiotics for issues such as the flu are doing society harm.

Digby wrong about something medical? Gtfo

Dont confuse people with all that technical mumbo jumbo. :nono:

Correct. Sinusitis, bronchitis, otitis and presumed urinary tract infections are probably the biggest sources of antibiotic overprescription. But even more are used in the meat industry to keep the overcrowded animals from getting sick before slaughter.

So, you're saying Digby was wrong? I doubt it.