Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

****The Official Seattle Seahawks Offseason Thread 2014****

Also, regarding the draft, if I recall, I wasn't crazy about taking Girl's Name in the 2nd, so I might have to eat a sh!t sandwich for that, as I didn't think RB value justified a pick that high. Look at the RB market this offseason. I didn't like the 3rd round pick Jordan Hill, and he is slipping down the depth charts and may not make the team this year; I don't think he is going to do much at all. I didn't really care for Chris Harper in the 4th, and he didn't even make the team. I had worries about Simon's attitude, but he seems to be working out after his injury season. Everybody loved Jesse Williams, including me, in the 5th and it looks like he is coming around to be a rotation guy in the trenches and getting over his knee issues. Luke Wilson is contributing as a back up TE, so he's OK. Spencer Ware is a mystery and iffy if he makes the team; he may have to beat out Turbin. Of the last 4 picks, only Bowie is still on the team. Jared Smith, Ty Powell, Ryan Seymour are gone.

Still looks like a subpar draft overall, with the 3rd and 4th round picks looking like busts so far, but we got Percy Harvin for the 1st round pick, and that is a trade I would do over and over again. Girl's Name and maybe the emergence of Simon and/or J Williams could turn that around, with Bowie looking like a starter being a hidden gem as well, but when you draft that many players, some have to work out just by the sheer number.

I remember stating Ryan Seymour was the steal of the draft.

I found that kid while I scouted Zac Stacey. And I have no clue what the heck I'm doing when it comes to looking at an oline, so when someone stands out to me. They're there with a flashing look at me sign.

Now the kids starting guard for the 49ers and signed to a long term deal. Good for him, but "Why Pete, WHY" aarrrgggghhhhh :doh:

Hey, I just realised this is the 17th page.

Anyone think if it wasn't for us the last several years, Mike would be out of business?

Seahawk diehards are owed some FFToday T-Shirts!!!

I remember stating Ryan Seymour was the steal of the draft.

I found that kid while I scouted Zac Stacey. And I have no clue what the heck I'm doing when it comes to looking at an oline, so when someone stands out to me. They're there with a flashing look at me sign.

Now the kids starting guard for the 49ers and signed to a long term deal. Good for him, but "Why Pete, WHY" aarrrgggghhhhh :doh:

We developed Rishow Johnson for a year, then we tried to stash him last year and he signed with Kansas City. He's in the running to land a starting guard spot if I recall what I read before.

And our offensive line is not good.

First I've heard the theory. Wouldn't be shocked.

What's the off season for if not a fertile ground for irresponsible speculation and wild theories. :pointstosky:

Hey, I just realised this is the 17th page.

Anyone think if it wasn't for us the last several years, Mike would be out of business?

Seahawk diehards are owed some FFToday T-Shirts!!!

It's getting to point that we should have two distinct separate forums for discussing football related issues, the Main Bored full of crickets, and then the highly trafficked Seattle Seahawks Bored.

Also, regarding the draft, if I recall, I wasn't crazy about taking Girl's Name in the 2nd, so I might have to eat a sh!t sandwich for that, as I didn't think RB value justified a pick that high. Look at the RB market this offseason. I didn't like the 3rd round pick Jordan Hill, and he is slipping down the depth charts and may not make the team this year; I don't think he is going to do much at all. I didn't really care for Chris Harper in the 4th, and he didn't even make the team. I had worries about Simon's attitude, but he seems to be working out after his injury season. Everybody loved Jesse Williams, including me, in the 5th and it looks like he is coming around to be a rotation guy in the trenches and getting over his knee issues. Luke Wilson is contributing as a back up TE, so he's OK. Spencer Ware is a mystery and iffy if he makes the team; he may have to beat out Turbin. Of the last 4 picks, only Bowie is still on the team. Jared Smith, Ty Powell, Ryan Seymour are gone.

Still looks like a subpar draft overall, with the 3rd and 4th round picks looking like busts so far, but we got Percy Harvin for the 1st round pick, and that is a trade I would do over and over again. Girl's Name and maybe the emergence of Simon and/or J Williams could turn that around, with Bowie looking like a starter being a hidden gem as well, but when you draft that many players, some have to work out just by the sheer number.

Yeah, I was with you on that draft... It was by far the worst I thought since our FO took over. Forgot Baily wasn't drafted. I had him on my draft list and liked him a lot. I was happy we picked him up.

I did think the value for Williams was good, but I had him way low on my list. He wasn't my fav. I thought the RB was a stupid pick, although I liked him after watching him. BUT, he could have health issues. He's no rock like Lynch.

I LOVED Simon. He was my fav pick.

I might be wrong on the TE. I thought he was another bust and off the team. Yet, he still hasn't done to much yet and got hurt. But, he does look pretty good for us. We'll see.

All that being said, I like this draft 100% more. Interesting to see how this one turns out. I love the FB, LB, and both WR's. Thought the Safety was decent play too. Hate Britt though.

We developed Rishow Johnson for a year, then we tried to stash him last year and he signed with Kansas City. He's in the running to land a starting guard spot if I recall what I read before.

For the last 3 years (I won't count the first year, that wasn't Pete's team). But outside of our oline being in a constant state of flux. (And have you noticed the early picks are busts, but the later ones, or UDFA's, or even position change guys are ending up being quality. If not for us, but then someone else).

BUT!!! Our drafts, and training camps under the Carrol and Schneider regime, actually seem like farm systems for other franchises.

These boys absolutely nail the heart and soul of the draft.

We should trade our 1st every year for a 3,4 and 7. And our 2nd for a 4,5 and 7.

did you guys see that Sean McGrath is retiring from the Chiefs due to 'personal problems'. That sounds a little ominous. I always liked him and was unhappy when he was a late cut by the Hawks a few years ago.

Things are happening. Seattle has signed a couple more discount veterans, which will not count against the compensatory picks next year.

First Terrell Thomas is added to the defensive secondary mix, giving him a shot coming off knee injuries. He's a big hitter, so no reason not to take a look. And a USC guy.

Holy Toledo. The Seahawks front office must have heard my never ending b!tching about the state of the offensive line and just signed Eric Winston, most likely to compete at RT. Bowie is out of shape and hurt. Britt couldn't block his grandmother. Winston is a perfect fit for zone blocking and is durable as hell. He started every game for the Cards last year so he knows the division. He might not start, but realistically he is soooooooooo much of an option than starting Britt that he probably should start, but at the very least, it's a veteran to add to the depth. He's been mostly blocking for immobile QBs, so he might end up having better stats blocking for Wilson. We will see. I like the idea of Bowie and Bailey being backups for pretty much all positions, start Okung, Carpenter, Unger, Winston, Sweezey, and bury Britt on the bench for the season and have him work with the coaches instead of allowing Wilson to get creamed.

edit: RT. Originally, I had typed RG. Winston is a tackle.

Things are happening. Seattle has signed a couple more discount veterans, which will not count against the compensatory picks next year.

First Terrell Thomas is added to the defensive secondary mix, giving him a shot coming off knee injuries. He's a big hitter, so no reason not to take a look. And a USC guy.

Holy Toledo. The Seahawks front office must have heard my never ending b!tching about the state of the offensive line and just signed Eric Winston, most likely to compete at RT. Bowie is out of shape and hurt. Britt couldn't block his grandmother. Winston is a perfect fit for zone blocking and is durable as hell. He started every game for the Cards last year so he knows the division. He might not start, but realistically he is soooooooooo much of an option than starting Britt that he probably should start, but at the very least, it's a veteran to add to the depth. He's been mostly blocking for immobile QBs, so he might end up having better stats blocking for Wilson. We will see. I like the idea of Bowie and Bailey being backups for pretty much all positions, start Okung, Carpenter, Unger, Winston, Sweezey, and bury Britt on the bench for the season and have him work with the coaches instead of allowing Wilson to get creamed.

edit: RT. Originally, I had typed RG. Winston is a tackle.

Great moves! :)

We needed the Winston pickup bad. I think this will help a great deal for a starter and providing good depth.

Love how fast we fix mistakes and move on. (i.e. Britt - Who showed he couldn't block his grandmother on tape)

We were also a little thin at CB so makes sense. I wonder if they will push back the Safety we drafted back to Safety?

This makes sense too as I think he WAS a true safety instead of converting him into a CB.

I'm hearing Anthony McCoy got hurt in practice today, bad. He could be done for the year. Look for a move for a TE for depth upcoming.

Edit: I think Fred Davis is out there, which is an intriguing name.

Edit Edit: torn Achilles for McCoy, done, again

Love the Winston signing. For a guy who might not even start for us, most people wouldn't really even see how big this move is. But it's HUGE. Fantastic move front office.

I heard McCoys done also. To bad, this could be the end of his career too. Gotta figure he'd miss next off seasons' OTA's and be limited in camp. Plus now 2 full seasons of not playing on top of that. That's too bad. I liked the guy.

This could really make Luke Willson a super sleeper for us. Baldwin and Miller have kind of been a safety valve for Russell Wilson. But with Miller older and used on the line more than anything else. And Baldwin being more of a #2 wr now when RW drops back and goes through his progressions. I can really see Willson being that clutch catch and bail out for RW.

I really liked the Wilson to Willson chemistry I thought I was seeing at the end of last season also.

Looks like DT Jessie Williams with a pretty signifigant knee injury today.

Looks like DT Jessie Williams with a pretty signifigant knee injury today.

saw that. Man that sucks for him. He's probably going to be one of those guys who simply never got a chance to show what he can do. Hopefully he does not have to go on the IR but if he got carted off, it probably isn't minor. I guess though this is why he was a 5th rounder in the first place. Injury bug.

I'm bummed out by the Jessie Williams injury. Early on, the observers talked about how good he was moving this year. He was constantly blowing by offensive linemen and causing havoc in the backfield. He was going to be a big part of the "big" rotation of Mebane, McDaniel, J Williams and K Williams. But it makes the Kevin Williams signing that much more important now. And this is another black mark against the 2013 draft, yet to yield a single impact player. I'm not pleased.

Getting a bit worried about these season ending injuries, Anthony McCoy and now Jessie Williams. If you are trying to repeat, you have to stay healthy. Which makes last year so remarkable, as there were a lot of injuries, especially on offense, and suspensions (Irvin, Thurmond, Browner).

Rumors are kicking around that Michael Bowie is completely in the dog house. He reported out of shape and immediately got hurt. There is a chance he is cut. I hope they keep him around but sit him instead, as it's too early to give up on kid with talent. He's gone from de facto starter at RT to barely hanging on.

I am starting to get suspicious that Marshawn Lynch just wants to skip training camp and preseason games to reduce wear and tear on himself. He talked about retiring after the Super Bowl. He's just skipping the parts of the season he doesn't like. It's a holdout without bark or bite.

....and....he's back.

Neither are your receivers. When Harvin goes down, and he will, Wilson will be running for his life.

Neither are your receivers. When Harvin goes down, and he will, Wilson will be running for his life.

I did something wrong.

I thought I had this babble on ignore.

Last year the Seahawks won a Superbowl with next to no contributions from their #1 and #2 WRs due to injuries (Harvin and Rice). Harvin had surgery to fix a long term injury in his hip, something he was been playing with forever. He says it's the healthiest he's ever been. This year, the expectation is that Harvin will play more than 1 full game, and the other WRs is the deepest and most talented group for this team in many, many years. Gone are the days of Big Mike Williams as the only legitimate WR on the roster and John Carlson leading the team in catches and receiving yards. The perception is that there are no standout WRs beyond Harvin. The reality is that Russell Wilson is so good at spreading the ball around, it's hard for one or two guys to put up monster numbers because Wilson is not to force throws to one guy if someone else is wide open. Wilson reads his progression and scrambles around and doesn't pad anybody's stats. Harvin's speed will create separation so that Wilson won't have to force a throw when he will already be open. Baldwin and Kearse are very solid and young and progressing in their improvement. The rookies in Richardson and Norwood are wild cards admittedly. The last spot will probably come down to Phil Bates or Ricardo Lockette, all of whom would have been a #3 WR on this team just a few seasons ago.

Oh, yeah. This team consistently at the top of the league in rushing and rushing attempts. So, really, is the state of the WRs really that big of a deal? I will say I expect Wilson to take a big step forward in passing this year as the overall offense looks like it could be more dynamic. Final note: since signing Eric Winston, I feel a bit better about the state of the offensive line.

Rumors are kicking around that Michael Bowie is completely in the dog house. He reported out of shape and immediately got hurt. There is a chance he is cut. I hope they keep him around but sit him instead, as it's too early to give up on kid with talent. He's gone from de facto starter at RT to barely hanging on.

Michael Bowie was waived.

Michael Bowie was waived.

Well that went from bad to worse quick?

Theirs gotta be something we havn't heard yet.

And Richard Sherman keeps talking about Michael Crabtree because

Crabtree had him beaten. Cliff Avril made that play happen by pressuring Kap.

And Richard Sherman keeps talking about Michael Crabtree because

Crabtree had him beaten. Cliff Avril made that play happen by pressuring Kap.

Aside from the fact that Kaepernick is somewhat retarded and Crabtree couldn't beat his one armed grandmother in shadow puppets, let's talk about Sherman for a bit. Even though QBs threw at him less than any other CB last year, and he still lead the league in INTs; sure makes is seem that Sherman is good at baiting a QB into a throw that Sherman has diagnosed and subsequently fooled the QB into attempting that bad pass. A famous example was that throw Schaub made with 3 minutes left which Sherman returned all the way and tied up that game. Sherman doesn't get beat straight up, but he does gamble by baiting the other team, and he clearly won, again. Maybe if Crabtree didn't start the feud at that charity event, Sherman wouldn't have publicly humiliated him over and over again. You don't start a fight you can't finish.

And Avril helped on the play too. He is going to be the most important guy the Seahawks have to resign this offseason, right after redoing the Russell Wilson contract.

I would agree re Avril. And I don't doubt Sherman's a top level NFL QB. But ... if Avril doesn't do what he did, Kap doesn't underthrow that. He deserves more of the credit on that play than the loudest talker.

There is a point beyond where Sherman should have stopped running his mouth and he hasn't. He's had the last or only word how many times now? 20 years from now, he will be the guy that will say 'Remember that time ...."

That tells me as good as he may be that it is easy to get under his skin.

The NFC West is the strongest division in football and is going to be a war zone this year.

I would agree re Avril. And I don't doubt Sherman's a top level NFL QB. But ... if Avril doesn't do what he did, Kap doesn't underthrow that. He deserves more of the credit on that play than the loudest talker.

There is a point beyond where Sherman should have stopped running his mouth and he hasn't. He's had the last or only word how many times now? 20 years from now, he will be the guy that will say 'Remember that time ...."

That tells me as good as he may be that it is easy to get under his skin.

The NFC West is the strongest division in football and is going to be a war zone this year.

I'm someone that loves seeing a wrestling heel got on the mic and trash the audience and his opponent. I find it highly entertaining. So you can see where I'm going with my opinion of Sherman running his mouth. But it's not just him. Earl Thomas is flapping his gums non stop the entire game. The defense is talking non stop. It's part of the swagger the defense brings. I wonder how Peyton felt after the Superbowl when Chancellor, Thomas, and Sherman bragged they were able to figure out almost every play Denver was about to run in the Super Bowl. It's just that the media is now picking up on it the past year or so. I can see how it can be off putting to fans of other teams, but I am enjoying it.

The upcoming season in the NFC West will be a war of attrition.

Biggest worry of the offseason still remains: the offensive line.

Okung - healthy or not?

Carp at LG - bust or not? Make or break season for him

Unger - no worries

Sweezy - can he handle the bull rushes this year? Say hello to Aaron Donald.

Britt or Winston at RT - can we get anything approaching how Breno played last year? Which I can't believe I just wrote. Yikes.

That's 4 out of 5 positions where I am feeling pretty unsettled, and in a division that is stacked with good D-Lineman. Harvin can run jet sweeps all game long, but a play like that takes forever to develop and I don't know that Wilson, even scrambling, is going to get enough time.

Biggest worry of the offseason still remains: the offensive line.

Okung - healthy or not?

Carp at LG - bust or not? Make or break season for him

Unger - no worries

Sweezy - can he handle the bull rushes this year? Say hello to Aaron Donald.

Britt or Winston at RT - can we get anything approaching how Breno played last year? Which I can't believe I just wrote. Yikes.

That's 4 out of 5 positions where I am feeling pretty unsettled, and in a division that is stacked with good D-Lineman. Harvin can run jet sweeps all game long, but a play like that takes forever to develop and I don't know that Wilson, even scrambling, is going to get enough time.

Okung is not healthy. He's limping around a lot. Bailey is playing at his spot and is being groomed to take over next season when he let Okung walk. Bailey is a very solid player and really stonewalls even our best pass rushers during practice. Bailey is the much cheaper option going forward. If Okung gets healthy, hell, plug him back in and let Bailey play at another spot.

Carpenter has been...meh this camp. They just signed Wade Smith a couple of days ago and immediately put him at LG to compete with Carpenter. Smith started most of the time the past 4 seasons with the Texans. Along with Winston, this is another guy who made his bones with the Texans and their zone blocking scheme when Houston really had a dynamic rushing attack.

Unger played with one healthy arm last season. He's healthier and looks like he's back to his old self.

Sweezy put on 20 lbs of muscle in the offseason, and it shows. He's been able to stand up to bull rushes in practice and looks more capable against the pass rush. For a guy that never played OL before entering the NFL, he's making amazing progress. I'm not worried about him.

Winston will start. No doubt in my mind. They don't want to hurt Britt's feeling by yanking him off the first team yet, but Winston is outplaying him in practice. If they are serious about competing to win a starting job, Winston has it in the bag. Winston looks better so far than Giacomini did. Maybe he'll get flagged less too.

I was sh!tting myself about the offensive line before we added Eric Winston and Wade Smith. We obtained some veteran players at need positions for a scheme they are familiar with for value contracts which will not count against our compensation picks next season. Great bargain hunting by the front office.

Kevin Norwood had surgery to remove a bone spur in his foot. Paul Richardson has barely practiced because he's always hurt.

I am having doubts about either being active at the start of the season or making any meaningful contributions this year. When you aren't practicing as a rookie, you're basically redshirting yourself for the entire first year.

Happy to see preseason action tonight. Seahawks have covered every preseason game the past few years, so I'm tempted to put some coin on them tonight. They were (+2), but now they are favored at Denver (-2.5). Seattle is always more motivated to win these games, but Denver is playing with some humiliation revenge. Then again, Seattle is a deeper team, especially on defense.

I'm calling right now. Lynch and Okung on O. And Mebane on D will not be back next year.

Mebanes money will let us resign guys like Wagner and Avril, and Lynch and Okung goes towards Wilson.

As far as this year goes. It's REPEAT TIME!!!

Preseason Game #1: Seattle (-2) for 2 bills. Let the bodies hit the floor.

I'm calling right now. Lynch and Okung on O. And Mebane on D will not be back next year.

Mebanes money will let us resign guys like Wagner and Avril, and Lynch and Okung goes towards Wilson.

As far as this year goes. It's REPEAT TIME!!!

I don't think any drastic moves have to happen to give Wilson his money. I think they started negotiating with KJ Wright all ready to see if they can lock him up early.

Anyway, Lynch might survive. If he has a healthy productive year, the front office could look for a renegotiated contract, giving Lynch more years, at a much reduced rate, with some signing/roster bonus money thrown in. Remember, the cap will keep going up sharply the next couple of years.

I don't expect Okung nor Mebane to survive unless there is absolutely nobody around to replace them.

Wilson deal, then resign Avril. Those are my priorities in the next offseason. I think we might retain Wright and Wagner at LB, but let Malcolm Smith walk. Byron Maxwell walks, with Simon filling in the gap. Avril is so focking good at rushing the passer in this system, he is a cog like Bennett, who I don't want to let get away.

Preseason Game #1: Seattle (-2) for 2 bills. Let the bodies hit the floor.

Doubled up on Edmonton tonight. It's all good.

I'm disappointed since Seattle used to dominate in the preseason because their backups would beat up the other team's backups. Not really happening against Denver. That is a point of concern. The depth is lacking. The hunger to win all games was lacking, as the Seahawks would scratch and claw to win preseason game. I didn't really see that in the game. I just saw a bunch of flags and uninspired play. Russell Wilson didn't look like himself, panicking behind a sh!tty offensive line.

Of course I bet on the 'Hawks (-6) vs San Diego. Cha-ching. Hey, when you win 10 preseason game in a row, then you lose a game, you come out motivated in front of a rabid crowd, even though it's preseason.

First impressions, as I continue to watch the replay on NFL Network as I type.

Fock, this team is talented. 4 scores on their first four possessions. Russell Wilson is a PIMP. So talented. The offense clearly is taking the next step forward. The running game was ridiculous against San Diego who came into the game claiming they wanted to stop the run. Turbin and Michael looked good, the offensive line run blocked well, Wilson improvised, the defense played solidly. No complaints.

Britt looked somewhat competent in run blocking. He still can't pass block, but he might not be a huge disaster as I first suspected. Just a minor disaster.

The play tonight is OVER 48.5 Phila/Pitts, with the Eagles terrible on defense and their starting CBs out tonight, reportedly.

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of controversies thus far going into the season. It's good to be the King.

Keeping an eye on Seattle Jr with Jacksonville. They are primed to take a major jump forward with their infusion of talent and their coaching staff.

The devil is riding around on a zamboni. Looks like Justin Britt is going to be the starting RT going into the season. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Tonight:

Seattle (-7)

Green Bay (-7)

Happy to see most of the the last of the injured players coming back for this game. The stats the past few years show that Seattle tends to crush teams at home in the preseason, so let's see what the Bears do. Fock Sweetness_34, that mouth breathing water head. It's ridiculous that we play 3 teams in the preseason from the AFC West, then go on and play the AFC West this season.

Tonight:

Seattle (-7)

Green Bay (-7)

Happy to see most of the the last of the injured players coming back for this game. The stats the past few years show that Seattle tends to crush teams at home in the preseason, so let's see what the Bears do. Fock Sweetness_34, that mouth breathing water head. It's ridiculous that we play 3 teams in the preseason from the AFC West, then go on and play the AFC West this season.

I agree on Sweetness_34, but disagree on the outcome. I'm taking Bears +7

:cheers:

Tonight:

Seattle (-7)

Green Bay (-7)

I don't know what to think. Seattle crushing another quasi playoff team in back to back weeks at home in the preseason at the half. Seattle really making it known that they will put a bunch of points on the board every week and Wilson looks like a focking ninja. Green Bay covered, Seattle is on the line to do the same so that I can celebrate properly.