Sign in to follow this  
Upper Class Trash

Realistic expectations for Bishop Sankey are?

I've seen people call him a bust. I've seen writers state he is easily going to win rookie of the year. My guess is he's somewhere in between. In a redraft league, are you taking a shot on him as a RB2 with a 4th round pick? He has been slowly creeping up the draft boards. I don't know what his ADP is, but I know where he is actually going in LIVE drafts. Never past the middle of the 4th round.

Would you say 800 yards rushing, 30 receptions with 175 yards receiving and 6 total TD's are fair?

And... I typically draft 3 RB's in my first four picks, but start out with 4 RB's more often than not. I have him as a RB3 in about 6 leagues and as a RB4 in about 6 more. I don't own him as a RB2.

RB 3 right now, until we see how camp looks. My early projections for him are slightly higher than yours, but only slightly.

850yds rushing, 40 catches for 250yds, 6-8TDs.

• Like 1

See him right now as a number three RB . Now my list are all ppr all the leagues I am in are ppr .

• Like 1

I've got him as a #4. There's always someone on a better offense like S-Jax available when it comes to drafting him, that I'd rather have as my #3, even if I do have to handcuff with Freeman later.

I am a little more optimistic than the rest of you it looks like. Obviously we will know much more when the preseason gets going. However, he looks to me like a great talent meets opportunity situation. They let go of Chris Johnson and drafted him highly (#1 RB taken I believe) for a reason. The rest of the depth chart stinks - Greene and McCluster. They improved their offensive line in the draft and have developing talent at the other skill positions. Last year they were #14 in rushing YPG. For me, I see no reason why he can't have a similar season to Johnson last year - 1400+ total yards, 40 catches, 8 TD's. Rookies are always a little risky but if I can get RB2 #'s with a 4th round pick I'll take it. Eddie Lacy in the 3rd round last year was another great rookie value for me.

• Like 1

I am a little more optimistic than the rest of you it looks like. Obviously we will know much more when the preseason gets going. However, he looks to me like a great talent meets opportunity situation. They let go of Chris Johnson and drafted him highly (#1 RB taken I believe) for a reason. The rest of the depth chart stinks - Greene and McCluster. They improved their offensive line in the draft and have developing talent at the other skill positions. Last year they were #14 in rushing YPG. For me, I see no reason why he can't have a similar season to Johnson last year - 1400+ total yards, 40 catches, 8 TD's. Rookies are always a little risky but if I can get RB2 #'s with a 4th round pick I'll take it. Eddie Lacy in the 3rd round last year was another great rookie value for me.

This. every sentence here reflects my personal opinion as well. People thought I took Lacy too early in rnd 3 last year, same with Doug martin his rokie year, Peterson his rookie year in rnd 4, addai his rookie year, the list goes on. I successfully have drafted the best rookies every year for about a decade in my big main 12tm league. Not bragging on purpose, its just a fact. Rg3 and morris, all the way back to michael clayton on TB so whenever that was, thats the year I started my streak of good rookies.

Bishop is just talent plus opportunity, if drafting now id gamble on him as ur rb 2.

I'm taking McCluster later .

I dont see mcluster as a viable handcuff. Hes a 2 rec for 20yds, 3 carries for 10yds kind of guy. At most he will be a better player for the Titans rather than fantasy teams even if Bishop gets hurt.

• Like 1

I've cooled on Sankey a bit but currently have him at 1067 rush yds, 7 TDs; 344 yds rec, 2 TDs. I think Shonn Greene's health will have a lot to do with Sankey's numbers and unless Whisenhunt is going to use McCluster as a Woodhead clone, I don't understand his hype.

Spoiler alert - I'm formatting Doug's AFC/NFC South projections and will post them later today but he's Sankey with 1145 rush yds, 6 TDs; 310 rec yds, 1 TD.

• Like 1

^ I'm targeting him as an RB 4-5 depth lotto ticket type in all leagues.

I honestly think he will come close to equaling or possibly outproducing Sankey.

He's someone that may end up on all my squads as he seems to be decently off the radar now.

Hoping it stays that way.

I've cooled on Sankey a bit but currently have him at 1067 rush yds, 7 TDs; 344 yds rec, 2 TDs. I think Shonn Greene's health will have a lot to do with Sankey's numbers and unless Whisenhunt is going to use McCluster as a Woodhead clone, I don't understand his hype.

Spoiler alert - I'm formatting Doug's AFC/NFC South projections and will post them later today but he's Sankey with 1145 rush yds, 6 TDs; 310 rec yds, 1 TD.

Both of these projections are right on point with what I mentioned. Those are RB2 #'s for sure and getting him in the 4th round would allow you to get a couple of top 12 WR's, Jimmy Graham, or a top QB if you wanted.

I think the Woody role is exactly what happens.

He already has a history of 500 rushing and 500 receiving yards just in separate seasons.

He's been playing behind Charles and in a lot of ways this is his first shot.

If you google his name tons of articles like this are popping up now.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2014/07/26/dexter-mccluster-tennessee-titans-training-camp/13214663/

As someone who follows the Titans, I think Sankey is in a very good position to be a very good #2 FF RB when all is said and done. (I think he'll have good yardage numbers, but I'm not sure if the TDs will consistently be there.) As others have already mentioned, it's about talent and opportunity. Sankey is a good runner with excellent vision, who can truly contribute consistently in the passing game as well -- unlike CJ, who was, as Titans fans will tell you, very inconsistent in his receiving abilities to the point that the coaching staff didn't trust him very much in that regard by the end of his time here. Furthermore, Sankey is running behind an OL that's been really re-stocked over the past two seasons and will be playing for a coach who has shown a willingness to run the ball and an ability to get the best out of this sort of RB. (After all, Ken Whisenhunt helped to revitalize Ryan Mathews's career last season.) Thus far, in training camp, Sankey has looked very impressive and, by all estimates, he plays even better with the pads on.

As far as McCluster goes, he's also been very impressive in camp -- especially in the pre-pad practices -- and has been noticeably quicker/faster than the other players. It's clear that the coaches want to take advantage of that quickness and his position flexibility to create mismatches against opposing DEFs. I think that the comparisons to Danny Woodhead are very apt here, though it remains to be seen if McCluster's production will equal that of Woodhead's from last year. (In terms of talent, I think McCluster is the better player of the two, which, of course, doesn't always translate into better results.)

Greene has been dealing with some lingering knee injuries from last year and actually had some minor surgery this offseason to correct stuff even further. I don't think that will really set him back too much; however, he will have to show the coaches that he can contribute in certain circumstances -- particularly as someone near the goalline and in certain "close-out" situations late in games. Right now, he's reportedly about 5-10 pounds overweight, but that's not a huge thing at this stage in the offseason. All that said, I'd be shocked if he didn't have an uptick in carries this season, considering how much the team is paying him. (Basically, I think he'll get about 5-8 carries/game most weeks.)

In terms of stats, I'd say...

Sankey: 275 carries / 1200 rushing / 35 receptions / 280 receiving / 6 TDs

Greene: 100 carries / 375 rushing / 10 receptions / 35 receiving / 4 TDs

McCluster: 100 carries / 415 rushing / 60 receptions / 520 receiving / 3 TDs

Obviously, these are just estimates. As you see, I fully expect Sankey to do very well in his role as the lead-back. I think Greene will see increased carries in this season, given his paycheck and his (hopefully) better health during the season. I think McCluster will put up comparable, but slightly lesser, numbers than Woodhead in a similar role. If last season was any indication, this would put the Titans right around the top 10 in the NFL in terms of both carries/game and in terms of yards/game (especially when you factor in that Jake Locker will have some rushing attempts/yards as well). That seems about right for Whisenhunt's offense from last season with the Chargers (where they were a top 10ish rushing team) and given the front-office's commitment to fixing the OL. Overall, I think both Sankey & McCluster are definitely worth owning in most FF formats, while Greene isn't worth owning unless you need an emergency RB for one week who might get you a TD. Just my $.02...

• Like 1

Mccluster is awful. I've owned Charles the last two years and have watched way too much KC football. Mccluster can't break tackles and on game day doesn't produce. He's a training camp hero and game day zero. Wood head is an actual real RB who is in another league compared to Mclackluster.

Here's how I see it

@KC-Bad. KC will probably get off to a huge lead forcing the titans to throw

Dallas-Good if titans can keep it close. If not bad.

@Cinci-Bad. Tough running in that place and bengals will get off to a huge lead as well.

@Indy-Great game here for him possibly if titans can keep it on the ground to stay in the game.

Cleveland-This will be interesting as browns will be rested and can sometimes stop the run.

Jacksonville-Jags are one of those teams who can stack the box. They did against CJ1K

@Washington-Depends what redskins team shows up.

Houston-Bad.

@Baltimore-Bad

Pitt-Bad

@Philly-Bad

@Houston-Bad

Giants-depends what giants run d looks like

Jets-Bad

@Jaguars-Good. Quiet place

Colts-Good.

Imo he won't do enough based on schedule and games where titans will be forced to play from behind.

Behind that offensive line? I fully expect him to hit 1,100 yards from scrimmage and 6 TDs