Sign in to follow this  
tecklc2112

Glimmer of Hope for Josh Gordon?

"A source informed Profootballtalk that suspended WR Josh Gordon's failed drug test barely generated a positive, and it would have been a negative had luck been on Gordon's side.

Gordon was summoned for a urine sample. Those samples are split into two bottles, one marked "A" and the other "B." It's completely random which one is marked "A" and which is labeled "B." "A" is tested first, and if it generates a positive test, then "B" is tested. The limit is 15 nanograms-per-milliliter. Gordon's "A" bottle showed a concentration of 16 ng/ml, while his "B" registered a 13.6 ng/ml. The result was a failed test. If urine sample handlers would have by chance marked the "A" bottle "B" and the "B" bottle "A," then Gordon would be free to play. Gordon is appealing the ban, and his hearing will be held on Friday. There seems to be a decent chance he wins."
Jul 29 - 2:21 PM

interesting. Not sure he will get anywhere with that, but it sounds like it is worth his while to try.

Theres a real chance he gets it reduced to where he can actually play some games this year. He could end up being drafted this year, we just have to wait and see. for drafters now, take him with a late round flier.

Will he still needs a lot of prayers and help . Because from what you said he still tested for something . Even if it was not enough for him to fail. Not playing football and getting his life right is what he needs .

• Like 1

Nobody should be getting suspended for weed in the first place. If it's legal in parts of the US, the NFL shouldn't be testing for it. The NFLPA needs to make sure it's not in the next bargaining agreement.

Would you take a flyer on him if you had a money draft between now and his hearing? Lose out on an upside guy, just in case the suspension gets rescinded or shortened? I probably would. Maybe the fourth round from the last. Beat the guy who thinks he's gonna get him right before he's drafting his defense and kicker.

Nobody should be getting suspended for weed in the first place. If it's legal in parts of the US, the NFL shouldn't be testing for it. The NFLPA needs to make sure it's not in the next bargaining agreement.

While I completely agree, it's just part of their rules (which are obviously shlt). If someone told me that they'd pay me 2 million dollars a year to ride my bike 10 miles a day to work, I'd be Lance frickin Armstrong. I've smoked weed for the better part of 15 years, but if you paid me enough money, I could quit for a while (or be smart enough to not get caught).

While I have no problem with legalizing pot, it's not really legal anywhere in the US. There's places where states/localities won't do anything about it, and the current federal policy is that they'll generally look the other where in those places.

But it's illegal under federal law, and those laws override state laws.

Well, when you've got a President and DA who have said publically that they're not pursuing it, it's as good as legal, as illegal in and of itself as that may be. Anyway, it's not like it's performance enhancing. If you get 2 games for beating your wife, he should get suspended for the kickoff of one game for smoking weed. (And I'm a Steeler fan)

• Like 1

Any chance that, in light of the leniency shown to Ray Rice, the NFL might choose to give him 6-10 games instead of the season? After all, if knockin' your ho out is worthy of 2 games.....

Any chance that, in light of the leniency shown to Ray Rice, the NFL might choose to give him 6-10 games instead of the season? After all, if knockin' your ho out is worthy of 2 games.....

Unrelated. Drug uses are covered under the players agreement, the Commish has nothing to with that.

If this was teh ONLY thing that happened I think Gordon would get maybe 4-6 games suspended. When he gets pulled over right after and has weed in the car (granted his friends) , then a while later gets busted for DUI -- no. But in light of Rice getting a wrist slap an 8 game suspension is possible but unlikely due to the DUI - if not for the DUI I would say 8 games would be likely.

I think Gordon gets off at around 8 games. At that point I'm reaching for him early enough that he will be on my team come the playoffs. I know a lot of people will disagree with that idea but I'm confident that I can find enough late round talent that Gordon will look fantastic in my line up as a WR2 come week 10.

Nobody should be getting suspended for weed in the first place. If it's legal in parts of the US, the NFL shouldn't be testing for it.

This

Totally agree...Pot smoking will no way enhance anyone to do anything better...in fact...if ur a stoner and ur stoned on the field ur def gonna suck and under-perform.

I'd be shocked if it went from 16 to less than 8. But I do think he has a shot of it being reduced based on the two samples defense. He should shut up about the second hand smoke part. That just seems pathetic and stupid.

The problem I'll have if it goes down to 8 is when do I draft him? My league has pretty expanded rosters and limited bench. Managing byes and fielding a full team are important. Doing that with a guy who will sit for 8 games is tough. Still, we all saw what he can do. I will do it or someone else will. I just have to figure out how, and when.

I have no idea what he'll get after seeing rices suspension. I figured he was a lock for a year suspension. I'm thinking it may be 8 games being that his levels were really close and the presence of a good attorney.

I'm torn as to whether I want to keep him. I'm in a 12 team ppr . I'm keeping graham. My other choices are garçon, spiller or gerherdt. It's strictly a two keeper league with no special stipulations. Any insight anyone wants to offer feel free. Thanks!

For those thinking the possibility of a reduction from his year long suspension for a failed drug test will move him up your draft boards, remember he still has to deal with the DWI... and with the beating the shield has taken from the rice suspension (no pun intended lol) I could see Goodell hitting him hard to make the point about his toughness on repeat offenders vs leniency on first time transgressors

Unrelated. Drug uses are covered under the players agreement, the Commish has nothing to with that.

It's being appealed, and Goodell rules on appeals, so he could change the outcome.

In 10 years time THC concentrates will be a part of daily NFL life for pain relief and recovery.

There's a ton of evidence coming to light about it's role in preventing and possibly helping cure brain damage.

It will go from banned to promoted.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117202

Very intereesting stuff, I hope it goes in that direction.

A real eye opener was that he would have tested negative in baseball and the olympics! The nfl really needs to change the policy and start getting with the times. Its starting to feel archaic, like a player getting suspended for dancing to rock and roll cuz its the devils music.

• Like 1

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11286008/nfl-issues-warning-ahead-josh-gordon-appeal

NFL not buying into secondhand hype, says Gordon is responsible for what goes into his body... Next defense, he was hanging out at Peyton's papa johns in Denver and a legal dispensary caught on fire 2 blocks away lol

Yes... But the league also says the rule isn't there to suspend players when they test at levels consistent of second hand smoke... So which is it?

well, regardless of legality, the NFL rules forbid weed. a number of other legal substances are also banned for various reasons. Bottom line is if you want to play and make millions of dollars, you follow the rules.

that being said, he may get a reduction of sorts or possibly a 'mulligan' for the weed thing because the samples didnt match and the so called second hand smoke defense.

but there is a good chance that they will throw the book at him for the DUI charge. For that, they may wait until he is declared guilty before dishing out punishment.

either way, it doesnt look good for Gordon.

I really do hope he gets his act together. I know Weed wont ruin his life or make him beat his kids, but the other things such as the DUI are still really concerning because that affects the safety of anyone driving near him when he does it. DUI charges are often a sign of substance abuse issues (although that is not always the case it is certainly a red flag)

If forcing him out of football for a year or two is what will make him clean up, maybe thats what he needs.

The reality is none of us really knows whether he is out of control or not. Unless you live with a person day in and day out, you really cant judge unless it is a situation where they are hurting others (ie bar fights, wife beating) getting arrested, having health issues or what have you. all we have seen is the DUI which is a sign, but may not tell the whole tale.

i heard on the radio this afternoon that out of the 70 or so drug tests they had routinely done on him since he had last failed (causing his 2 game suspension last year) that he had passed every single one until this one.... so the secondhand smoke argument, though it sounds like a cop out, may actually be true

I need it to be true, and for him to only get something like 4 games, because I picked him up off waivers in my 2 money leagues, and someone already claimed both guys I dropped (Not that they're that great of a loss. Waivers are a crapshoot at this point)

I don't see the NFL flinching after the total pr disaster of the Rice debacle.

Exactly. Given his history and the DUI charge I don't see how they change their position just because they grabbed the unlucky bottle where he was over the limit.

He tested above the allowable limit. He got a dwi. A passanger of his was busted with possession. He has been in trouble for substance abuse policy before. I dont think the nfl will be rationalizing this like some on this board are. Its pretty cut and dry.

I just drafted him with my last pick. Hopefully the lottery pick pays off. I will be overjoyed. if I can get 8 games out of him this season.

His suspension will not be reduced. Its either 16 games (full year ) or no suspension. And after what the league said yesterday(Second hand smoke is not an excuse ) I see little chance for it to be 0 games.

Josh Gordon's appeal will be "all or nothing," either resulting in no ban at all or a full-year suspension.

NFLPA spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed to PFT that when the league's disciplinary penalties were established 20 years ago, "the union expressed the strong view that they needed to be stated and mandatory to ensure that all players be treated the same regardless of position, experience, level of ability, or competitive considerations." If the hearing officer determines the violation was "established," Gordon will be "bound" to the one-year suspension. In other words, Gordon's ban could not be reduced to six, eight, or ten games. If the hearing officer finds there was a violation of the league's drug policy, Gordon's one-year ban will stand. If no violation is established, Gordon will be free to play a 16-game schedule barring a short ban related to his July DUI arrest.
No player has ever won a case against the NFL on the grounds he failed a drug test due to "second-hand smoke."
This is Josh Gordon's claim, and the NFL is pushing back. "A cornerstone of both of our drug testing programs has always been that you are responsible for what is in your body," stated NFL VP of communications Greg Aiello. "It is stated that way in the policies." Aiello also confirmed the NFL has suspended several players in the past for "not being responsible for what is in your body." Gordon remains at serious risk of a lengthy suspension

His suspension will not be reduced. Its either 16 games (full year ) or no suspension. And after what the league said yesterday(Second hand smoke is not an excuse ) I see little chance for it to be 0 games.

Josh Gordon's appeal will be "all or nothing," either resulting in no ban at all or a full-year suspension.

NFLPA spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed to PFT that when the league's disciplinary penalties were established 20 years ago, "the union expressed the strong view that they needed to be stated and mandatory to ensure that all players be treated the same regardless of position, experience, level of ability, or competitive considerations." If the hearing officer determines the violation was "established," Gordon will be "bound" to the one-year suspension. In other words, Gordon's ban could not be reduced to six, eight, or ten games. If the hearing officer finds there was a violation of the league's drug policy, Gordon's one-year ban will stand. If no violation is established, Gordon will be free to play a 16-game schedule barring a short ban related to his July DUI arrest.
No player has ever won a case against the NFL on the grounds he failed a drug test due to "second-hand smoke."
This is Josh Gordon's claim, and the NFL is pushing back. "A cornerstone of both of our drug testing programs has always been that you are responsible for what is in your body," stated NFL VP of communications Greg Aiello. "It is stated that way in the policies." Aiello also confirmed the NFL has suspended several players in the past for "not being responsible for what is in your body." Gordon remains at serious risk of a lengthy suspension

not sure where you are getting this from but I think Gordons defense is actually in the way testing is administered and the fact that his test result was so close to the cutoff for what counts as a positive. Also that his B sample was not positive so if they had tested that sample first, he wouldnt have failed. second sample only gets tested if first one fails.

"second hand smoke" just seems to be a reasoning for the failed test itself.

not sure where you are getting this from

Rotoworld via Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Rotoworld via Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

but where are they getting it from

i guess my point it, who is saying his defense is based on second hand smoke. I was under the impression it was the testing process.

either way i do agree full ban or no ban.... but hes missing time either way i would assume with the dwi