Sign in to follow this  
ecudchi

Draft position

hey everyone, In my league last year we had a side contest on nfl picks for this years draft order. Short story is I won, and now I get to choose what slot I pick in. We are a 12 team ppr league, who gets one post 10th round keeper. My keeper is going to be Andre Ellington. Where do you guys think I should pick? Go number 1 and get a monster, somewhere in the middle so the wrap around doesn't take as long?

Depends on who you want in round one... Charles, McCoy, better take pick one. Either one of those, pick two. AP, pick three. Where is your cut-off point for top guys? That's the pick you want.

1st. Those 2 rnd 2-3 turn picks are gold. picking 2nd you just watch the top pick snake your guys every turn with his 2 picks in a row.

Of course first pick . No way I pass on the first pick

I'd go 5th. You get one of the big 5 backs, any of which could finish with the highest fantasy total of the RB/WR's, and you get the earliest pick in the second round of the people who got one of the big backs. Hopefully someone like Dez or J. Jones is still there for ya, and then you're still in good position in the 3rd for someone like Ellington or Mathews.

I usually like to avoid the turns even though #1 is pretty valuable this year, the back to back picks put force on you to balance the roster vs taking the best guy because it is so hard to figure out who will be there 20-24 picks later. I use that to my advantage when i am inside the turns especially the 2nd pick or second to last pick.

This year a top 3-4 pick in the first seems to be a big premium given the dearth of stability in the RB position. So depends on what you think of guys like Forte or going Calvin 1st... Else go with the #2 pick and take the McCoy/Charles that drops...

I usually like to avoid the turns even though #1 is pretty valuable this year, the back to back picks put force on you to balance the roster vs taking the best guy because it is so hard to figure out who will be there 20-24 picks later. I use that to my advantage when i am inside the turns especially the 2nd pick or second to last pick.

This year a top 3-4 pick in the first seems to be a big premium given the dearth of stability in the RB position. So depends on what you think of guys like Forte or going Calvin 1st... Else go with the #2 pick and take the McCoy/Charles that drops...

Pretty much this. Think I would go 3..McCoy/Charles/Forte. Who else are keepers?

I disagree a bit. With the 7th overall pick you can have a top 5 back or calvin or graham. The early second always produces a great upside back like murray, ball, or bell. Even if they are gone there is another top flight receiver available like bmarsh usually. The third round can produce good ppr options like nelson, garcon, vjax while alao giving the option of riskier/good upside backs like bush and spiller.

An early fourth round pick is where the money is at imo. Its around mid fourth when i see a drop off in talent and rbs get scarce. I like gerhart, though he hasnt made it to me in a fourth round the last 5 drafts. I have a feeling he drops a little farther when i get to the drafts i still have with my friends.

Qbs have been dropping like flies so it depends on 4 pt or 6 pt leagues. 6 point leagues i might want an early fifth to make sure i get a qb who has good upside without the price tag. 4 pt per pass td i want an early 6th because people are going to start getting antsy for a qb.

One more point, in 4 pt per td leagues brees makes it to the early fourth almost every draft. Rogers every draft (i am a little down on rogers this year).

You want to be towards the beginning (not #1 or #2) or in the middle:

http://fantasyfootballdrafting.com/100-fantasy-football-tips-in-100-days-day-25-whats-the-best-draft-slot/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24614844/graph-stuff-draft-position-and-its-impact-on-fantasy-football-in-2013

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/the-best-fantasy-football-draft-slots-to-pick-from/

These are just 3 references but I have seen more over the years which have closely resembled what these articles say. Please note that they are not saying that you cannot win from certain slots; they are simply saying that more titles have been won from the early-to-middle slots.

I'm picking 8th in my main 12 team PPR league. Short end of the straw for wining last season according to my league mates, but I think its perfect. I get one of the top 4 RBs, Calvin, AJ,Dez, or Lacy in the 1st. And the turn comes a wee bit earlier. I think there's talent throughout the 1st round....but the questions marks are just embedded a lot deeper.

This is one of the first seasons in a long time that I've legitimately questioned every player...and then followed that up with a reason they deserve to have a high ADP