Sign in to follow this  
Vince44

Fantasy football: Is it dying?

I still do my dynasty league but I hate it, it does nothing for me anymore. I don't care to put the time into it. I still love watching football but it is what it is. Everything goes stale at some point.

I think it depends on what else you do. I know for myself, I could care less about other sports. I'm a Football, and Wrestling nut. So anything related to those 2 things, I soak it in.

Alot of my friends watch everything. Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Golf.......They're watching something sports related all the time. So the interest/excitement level is more evenly spread out.

FF is not dying, its probably doing better than ever. I like drafting and the season, but never got as into it as some. I watch football, not research the crap out of every nuance. Originally I played total points leagues, which I like better, but everyone likes Head to Head, which to me ups the luck factor. You get scenarios like tanatastic pointed out. For a few years I had 4 teams. It was stupid..to many interwoven players. Play in 2 now, geek league and one with some HS and college buddies.

Where is that?

This is really the time of the year. A lot of the down coasters are headed back to the cities. You can actually get some pretty good deals on hotels and lobsta and stuff.

First league I was in was based on a board game.

Was total points

Drafted 1 guy for each position.

No backups

If someone got injured..too bad.

Supplemental draft every 4 weeks to replace players.

Haha.. so much fun back then. Was in highschool..early 80s.

I wish I could spare room for one more league for an auction. I am fed up with snake drafts. I can't stand just praying that a player makes it to me. The first year I did an auction I destroyed the league because I had a shot at all my sleepers. People had to pay some money to. Get my sleeper from me.

• Like 1

I won't forget when Arian Foster burst onto the scene. Chick in my work draft grabbed him in the 4th round. I was like WTF? How would you have any idea?

That year, if you drafted early, he could be had cheap. He skyrocketed as the beginning of the season closed in.

I dropped out of the league I had been in since 1993 this year, as did 2 others. I just am not interested anymore. I am still into football and look forward to Sunday, but I just have lost interest in the fantasy. Not sure why. Maybe it's just run it's course.

• Like 1

Weird how everyone is tiring at the same time. I think you people are influenced by others saying they are sick of it

Everyone who started playing when they were in their 20s in the late 90s / early 2000s is now middle aged.

Weird how everyone is tiring at the same time. I think you people are influenced by others saying they are sick of it

Years ago, everyone got together on the day of the draft. We'd make a day of it golfing/drinking/boating. And then we'd continue drinking and draft. Throughout the season, we'd be talking shiit and get together for our home team games. Now, at most we get 3-4 of the guys together and it's just for the draft. During the season, there is very little smack talk.

• Like 2

FFToday is full of 35-50 year old white dudes. Maybe our demographic is just getting tired of it at the same time? Maybe fantasy as we know it isnt dying? You know, the competitive money leagues that we've all been in for 15+ years. The leagues that started out as a live draft at Hooters. The leagues that you didnt know your score until you checked your stats in USA Today. Maybe its us, not fantasy in general. How is daily fantasy doing in general? I dunno cause Ive never done it.

Yeah there are tangible reasons why people are tiring of it, but it's like any thing that becomes popular and the all of a sudden most people don't care. They are influenced by other people's perceptions

If we are including daily fantasy games then no it isnt dying at all.

I wish it would die though. Hard to find people who know anything about football anymore. Most of the "football fans" are just fantasy nerds rifling through their 20 leagues. It has jaded fandom for most people.

Im in 1 dynasty and 1 redraft. Both long standing leagues. If they were not leagues with friends that have been in existance for so long then I would probably bail on them.

I dont play daily.

it's been dying for quite awhile now, and It's been dead to me for years.

I was addicted at one point, having 10 teams and Commish of 3. :shocking:

People have hit the nail on the head in this thread. Doubt it’s dying, but the excitement has.

Years ago, everyone got together on the day of the draft. We'd make a day of it golfing/drinking/boating. And then we'd continue drinking and draft. Throughout the season, we'd be talking shiit and get together for our home team games. Now, at most we get 3-4 of the guys together and it's just for the draft. During the season, there is very little smack talk.

I'm in two leagues. One is my main league which is celebrating our 30th anniversary this year. We used to be like the above, where we'd get together the Saturday before the season for bloody marys/draft/smack talk, but people have moved and smack talk had dwindled. We are all descending on a man cave in Vegas next Saturday to try to resurrect our "good old days" of being in the same room for the draft; I'm looking forward to it but honestly haven't spent much time prepping.

The other league is IBL which some of you know and has been described here before so I won't rehash it. The drafts in this league (8 total) are FF orgasmic, but I've been so busy with work and life that I just haven't been enjoying them.

This may be my last year, I'm feeling kinda done. :(

Ive played fantasy football sonce I was 9 years old. I remember the old newspaper days. I was tired of it long ago when I realized it is 95% luck. Now anyone can play. The interwebs makes it so your aunt sally can play and perhaps win.

I wouldnt say im totally tired of it. But it is not near as fun as it used to be. Real life conversations about fantasy and your 25 daily lineups is puke worthy and only gets worse each year.

Fantasy football is doing fine.

Fantasy Football specific message boards- not so much.

Ive only been in one league, with friends, now in its 23rd year. We still do the all day thing - golfing, cookout, draft. There are a couple of non- golfers, like me, but everyone is there for the draft. Its one of the few times during the year we can all get together. The fantasy football part has lost some of its lustre, for sure, with less trash talk etc..during the season, but I think that just comes with age. I hope it goes another 20 years, but Im sure thats wishful thinking.

Still get together in my money league, have beers and a big buffet of food, and cute girls hired to be waitresses and sticker b1tches. Of course its all done at a country club so the guys there typically have more money than your average person so we can al actually split it and be able to get all the bells and whistles for the draft

Still get together in my money league, have beers and a big buffet of food, and cute girls hired to be waitresses and sticker b1tches. Of course its all done at a country club so the guys there typically have more money than your average person so we can al actually split it and be able to get all the bells and whistles for the draft

:D

First league I was in was based on a board game.

Was total points

Drafted 1 guy for each position.

No backups

If someone got injured..too bad.

Supplemental draft every 4 weeks to replace players.

Haha.. so much fun back then. Was in highschool..early 80s.

Mine was similar. 1989live draft with a bunch of friends at work. Monday we would all figure out our score from the paper. A lot of fun. Now it is just a distraction. I forget to pick up free agents mid week.

:D

Only league Ill brag about cause they do it right and I got into it after years of waiting (very hard to get in to cause they have a list of people who want in)

Best Ball leagues are the only way to go. Spending hours watching injury updates and setting lineups every Sunday is the worst part of FF. I won't play in any non-best ball anymore.

Best Ball leagues are the only way to go. Spending hours watching injury updates and setting lineups every Sunday is the worst part of FF. I won't play in any non-best ball anymore.

You basically play your entire roster every week and take the best scores at each position?

What's the buy in?

You basically play your entire roster every week and take the best scores at each position?

Basically. To me it doesn't even compare to a normal league. It's fun to do a few mfl 10s imo because of the draft, but after that it's pretty boring

Correct.

I think a lot of it had to do when guys started bringing in their daughters and their mother in law and their sister-in-law Etc

Man, from the minute they can talk, it's always about the me too with those biitches.

You want to golf there? Me too!

You have a man cave? Yeah I know I have the whole fuucking house which is why you have a man cave in the first place, but I want a She Shed!

Me Too!

just wasn't as much fun when became an afternoon with Joe Bryant's mother-in-law.

What's the buy in?

$160 per person. Not too bad but they splurg on the draft party which I love

In the dndl with some of you geeks, Dynasty style, still like it, pretty cheap, my team isn't as good as it once was but the league has a pretty good history now...I probably just jinxed it and the league will crash and burn this year

300 dollar local auction league with a small keeper component 2 players can be kept for an additional year, my favorite league just from a competition standpoint

In and out of my hs buddys' league, back in this year... Good way to start in touch with old friends but the three hour ride sucks

All those rich people and the buy in is only $160?

This thread is about the only one I am interested in here at the GC. It's definitely football season. Even talking about the hypothetical demise of FFball gets my juices flowing

How did you join? How long?