Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Question for Drobs, or any engineer I guess

I guess this could be for any engineer on the site also.

I slacked in hydronics and now I cannot answer a simple question. I was hoping you could

Say I have a column of water and at the base of the column I have an eccentric reducer, presumably the larger diameter facing upward. Would the reducer (eccentric mind you) affect the static head pressure at all?

Say I have a column of water and at the base of the column I have an eccentric reducer, presumably the larger diameter facing upward. Would the reducer (eccentric mind you) affect the static head pressure at all?

I have a column of water and at the base of the column I have an eccentric reducer, presumably the larger diameter facing upward. Would the reducer (eccentric mind you) affect the static head pressure at all?
  • Like 3

I don't believe it does, but I am not 100% certain. Did a little googling to find mostly friction type answers to multi dimensional piping systems. Plus a lot of pump calculations.

no.

I do not completely understand the questions. I know hydro-static pressure calculations quite well, but i have no idea what an eccentric reducer is.

I have a column of water and at the base of the column I have an eccentric reducer, presumably the larger diameter facing upward. Would the reducer (eccentric mind you) affect the static head pressure at all?

I laughed :thumbsup:

no.

I do not completely understand the questions. I know hydro-static pressure calculations quite well, but i have no idea what an eccentric reducer is.

Do you know what a concentric reducer is? Concentric has the reduction in the center making both the center of the larger diameter side and smaller diameter side the same. An eccentric has the smaller diameter's center offset. This is used usually so that liquid cannot be trapped in the bottom where a reduction is made. The suction side of the pump uses an eccentric reducer so that gradual buildup of air doesn't occur like it would in a concentric.

Do you know what a concentric reducer is? Concentric has the reduction in the center making both the center of the larger diameter side and smaller diameter side the same. An eccentric has the smaller diameter's center offset. This is used usually so that liquid cannot be trapped in the bottom where a reduction is made. The suction side of the pump uses an eccentric reducer so that gradual buildup of air doesn't occur like it would in a concentric.

I know nothing about that, but I do manage a software that calculates head pressure in wells.

There is nothing inside the well that affects the head pressure, only the length of column of liquid above where you want to take the measurement.

As an electrical engineer I can tell you that that apparatus would likely draw roughly zero amps. YWIA. :cheers:

Try jiggling the handle

This :thumbsup:

If that doesn't work, use a bigger hammer

The height of the water in the column is the only thing affects the head pressure. So, the answer to your question is No.

Unless, of course, the reducer is REALLY eccentric, you know, like Emo Philips or Pee Wee Herman or something....

Actually, I didn't see that you have a pump there. I thought you were just talking about static head. You're looking to see if the eccentric reducer affects NPSHA, right? It probably does a little. If you can't find the answer, it probably never concerned anyone enough to publish any data. I'm sure it's probably negligible enough to ignore. Just throw in a little extra safety factor, you should be fine. I think. :unsure:

Place a concentric reducer in the outlet if the eccentric reducer to negate the static effects of the eccentric reducer

Bam!

Place a concentric reducer in the outlet if the eccentric reducer to negate the static effects of the eccentric reducer

Bam!

I cannot do that in this design. I don't have much room to work with. Does a reducer affect static head pressure at all?

I cannot do that in this design. I don't have much room to work with. Does a reducer affect static head pressure at all?

No.

Err, I think Drobs was joking there...