Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Tires!

Anyone have a reasonably-priced brand they swear by, and if so, why? I'm mostly looking for low noise. Car is a 2012 Lincoln MKZ with a 3.5L engine which has pep but isn't going to be drag racing anytime soon.

TIA$#@! :cheers:

Got a European sports car that has high performance all-season tires on it. So not nearly the tires you're looking for.

But...

First had a set of Hankooks on there that were great.

When those wore out after many, many miles, I got a set of Toyos on there because the shop nearby didn't carry Hankooks.

Big mistake, they suck. Hate the way the car drives with them and I've gotten three flats in a year. Actually about ready to bag it and eat a grand on a new set of tires because that's how much they suck

Got a European sports car that has high performance all-season tires on it. So not nearly the tires you're looking for.

But...

When those wore out after many, many miles, I got a set of Toyos on there because the shop nearby didn't carry Hankooks.

Big mistake, they suck. Hate the way the car drives with them and I've gotten three flats in a year. Actually about ready to bag it and eat a grand on a new set of tires because that's how much they suck

BMW?

But...

Gonna assume this is a joke, cause otherwise why say it? Are you a d bag?

Love my Michelin pilot super sports

Excellent on dry, and wet. Useless in ice/snow.

In Colorado I had winter and summer tires.

Gonna assume this is a joke, cause otherwise why say it? Are you a d bag?

Um, what?

I was simply answering jerry's question.

Is it the type of car that has your panties in a twist? I simply wanted Jerry to know I was talking about a different type of car and thus a different type of tire than what he's looking for :wacko:

On edit: thought the Lincoln MKZ was an SUV. My bad

It depends, I can typically get a great price at the used tire lot; if I fail to find anything there, just shop around a bit, usually get the best deal at like a Costco. I don't really align to any specific brand, though in general I have liked the quality of the Michelin and Yokohama brands, I found that the Pirelli's wear out way too fast, JMHO

It depends, I can typically get a great price at the used tire lot; if I fail to find anything there, just shop around a bit, usually get the best deal at like a Costco. I don't really align to any specific brand, though in general I have liked the quality of the Michelin and Yokohama brands, I found that the Pirelli's wear out way too fast, JMHO

I see what you did. :thumbsup:

I'm a big fan of Continental DWS (dry,wet,snow). Living in the desert you don't need the S, can just go for the continental DW.

Before the continental i had Vredestein tires for the summer which were amazing in the rain. They are a bit pricey though

I had cheap General exclaim tires on an older car which were a good value. Decent tires for wear. Edit these were discontinued think they are called General GMax tires. Very cheap

Um, what?

I was simply answering jerry's question.

Is it the type of car that has your panties in a twist? I simply wanted Jerry to know I was talking about a different type of car and thus a different type of tire than what he's looking for :wacko:

On edit: thought the Lincoln MKZ was an SUV. My bad

Bah you know what you did. "Hey guys, know any good restaurants?' "Well sir, my butler cooks for me so not really but if I did, I would eat at Joe's"

• Like 1

Bah you know what you did. "Hey guys, know any good restaurants?' "Well sir, my butler cooks for me so not really but if I did, I would eat at Joe's"

No I think you're just being a little defensive :dunno:

Go to tirerack.com. See the tires that they have there and read the reviews. Since you don't have to deal with snow and you are focused on low noise, they will have some definite recommendations and some specials if you want to buy them online. If not, you at least know what you are looking for when you go to your local cheap place (BJ's, Costco, etc.).

I have Pirellis right now. Good for snow and rain, but seem like they are a little on the hard side (not a smooth ride).

Whatever is on sale at Wal Mart

Where 'Murica shops!! Live in NE Ohio and im not going to spend 250 a tire for my old 2006 buick. The roads are so bad they wouldnt get half their lifespan.

Go to tirerack.com. See the tires that they have there and read the reviews. Since you don't have to deal with snow and you are focused on low noise, they will have some definite recommendations and some specials if you want to buy them online. If not, you at least know what you are looking for when you go to your local cheap place (BJ's, Costco, etc.).

I have Pirellis right now. Good for snow and rain, but seem like they are a little on the hard side (not a smooth ride).

pirelli's are performance tires... tend to have stiff sidewalls which help handling at the expense of comfort. Great tires though

Which Pirellis do you have?

Middle of the price range , pick which one you think looks the best. Tire reviews are hilarious. "These focking tires ride like sh!t, I only put 110psi in them on my 1 ton pickup with an empty bed"

Cheapest tires from Costco, would you have expected anything different?

At least they are not wal-mart specials. I have not had any flats or trouble with them. Next set will also be cheap Costco tires.

But...

You mean European sedan? Volvo doesnt make a sports car.

I do not go cheap on tires. They are kind of important.

I do not go cheap on tires. They are kind of important.

Even the cheapest tire today is better than the best tire 15 years ago. I understand if you live where there is snow. Having summer/winter tires makes a world of difference. But for those of us that live in the south, cheap tires are the way to go.

You never go cheap on tires, shoes, or mattresses.

Handling, gas mileage, etc..

Go with a Michelin, Bridgestone, or continental. Stay away from Goodyear.

You mean European sedan? Volvo doesnt make a sports car.

Look up the T6-R version of the S60 Twin charged using a supercharger for low rpm and a turbo for the top end, good power numbers that you could easily jack up with turning software

I also like tirerack. While I would typically avoid dealerships, went to one a few years back out of necessity. It has been reasonable with great service so I stayed with them.... They have matched tirerack's pricing for me.

I also like tirerack. While I would typically avoid dealerships, went to one a few years back out of necessity. It has been reasonable with great service so I stayed with them.... They have matched tirerack's pricing for me.

Yes, I'm going to the dealer Monday for an oil change and they have a low-price guarantee. Their service is outstanding which is why I go, despite being on the other side of town. I also have a 15% off service coupon which hopefully will apply.

Here is a site I found which rates the 10 quietest tires: http://tirereviewsandmore.com/top-10-quietest-tires/

Looking at Costco they have the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus for $160 each, which fits the MKZ. I need to cross reference the lists more and hopefully come up with a handful of acceptable tires with Costco prices as a comparison. Based on a glance though, most of the Costco ones were in that $160 range.

• Like 1

I drive a 2013 Mini Cooper S and last week got a screw in the front tire so took it to the dealership. The advisor told me my tires were basically obsolete or out of stock or on serious back order(some sort of song and dance I bought into). I also bought into one of the warranties when I purchased the car so a replacement tire is covered but he told me I would be better replacing both front tires. So long story short the second tire I had to shell out $239 plus an alignment for the additional cost of $150. I know buying a Mini Cooper is gay and Sux would tell me I am insane for buying such an inferior car but I am a short fat dued that spreads into it like a glove. I guess my point is tires can be expensive if you don't know what you are doing.

Edit these cars are equipped with the run flat tires and can't be patched and are typically replaced in pairs.

I drive a 2013 Mini Cooper S and last week got a screw in the front tire so took it to the dealership. The advisor told me my tires were basically obsolete or out of stock or on serious back order(some sort of song and dance I bought into). I also bought into one of the warranties when I purchased the car so a replacement tire is covered but he told me I would be better replacing both front tires. So long story short the second tire I had to shell out $239 plus an alignment for the additional cost of $150. I know buying a Mini Cooper is gay and Sux would tell me I am insane for buying such an inferior car but I am a short fat dued that spreads into it like a glove. I guess my point is tires can be expensive if you don't know what you are doing.

Edit these cars are equipped with the run flat tires and can't be patched and are typically replaced in pairs.

Did you put your purse in the trunk while they worked on it?

Sweet Jesus :(

Scorpion Verde all season

Those are the one's I was looking at getting for my Grand Cherokee; good to know that they are a not a smooth ride, so I will keep searching for decent tires.

Did you put your purse in the trunk while they worked on it?

It's not a purse it is a European carry all.

I see what you did. :thumbsup:

Thank you....sh!ts sake I spend half my posts throwing words around that do this and mostly I get crap for using strange words when in reality people never focking get it....

Thank you....sh!ts sake I spend half my posts throwing words around that do this and mostly I get crap for using strange words when in reality people never focking get it....

On balance, you definitely have to dip your toe in the water with that stuff every now and then, if only to inflate your own ego.

But tread lightly, my good man. :thumbsup:

Don't replace with run flats... pay for a AAA membership and buy regular tires. Run flats are heavy, expensive, and not worth IMO the rare situation you run over a nail and save yourself a AAA call.

Don't replace with run flats... pay for a AAA membership and buy regular tires. Run flats are heavy, expensive, and not worth IMO the rare situation you run over a nail and save yourself a AAA call.

Apparently these are standard equipment with this car. Now that I understand what these tires are all about what you said makes perfect sense. Besides being more expensive, a poor ride, they ware down faster

I've had Hankooks on my SUV and really liked them. Great driving with them and good in rain too, and fine in snow even. Quiet too. The car never drove so straight and turned so well. I think I should go back to Hankook when I need tires again.